Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samurai MMORPG

Giak82Giak82 Member UncommonPosts: 15
Hi guys, I'm wondering if  someone knows an mmorpg settled in samurai age in japan. There are a lot of mmorpg about chinese history, martial arts and so on, but cannot find any about samurai. Or at least mmorpg where there is the samurai class (like FFXI).

And another question outside that: is EVE online still the only mmorpg with such kind of exp system (passive?)?

Thank you all

Comments

• smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252
    Originally posted by Giak82

Hi guys, I'm wondering if  someone knows an mmorpg settled in samurai age in japan. There are a lot of mmorpg about chinese history, martial arts and so on, but cannot find any about samurai. Or at least mmorpg where there is the samurai class (like FFXI).

And another question outside that: is EVE online still the only mmorpg with such kind of exp system (passive?)?

Thank you all
    1. The samurai in an MMO thing i am not sure about. Haven't seen one except FFXI's Samurai class also.

2. As for the EvE Question. I think you are talking about the skill training. EvE is the only game that runs like that.

Hope this helped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

• ElgarethElgareth Member Posts: 588
    Umm, Ultima Online AFAIK has an Asian continent with Ninjas and Samurai as "Classes".

Silkroad Online is also settled in some Asian flair (I don't know enough about the differences of China/Japan, so can't say how exactly).
  • lakers4evalakers4eva Member UncommonPosts: 15
    9 Dragons is a free to play (with item mall) martial arts game that i'm playing and i like it. It dosen't have samurai as a class, but has 6 clans to choose from at the begining: Shaolin, League of Beggars, Wu Tang, Heavenly Deamon, Sacred Flower and Brotherhood of thiefs.
  • tomariktomarik Member Posts: 28

Personally, i don't think the idea of a samurai class makes much sense. because most mmorpgs already have a warrior class or an assassin class. Wouldn't a samurai be just another war or assassin? I guess they can add it to the game but in the days of samurai's, samurai's were to kill them selves then be captured. that would make some annoying game play if they went with the realistic ideal of the samurai. But other wise the FF game I've no knowledge besides that. Your best chance to find on is to just google it.

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898
    Originally posted by tomarik

Personally, i don't think the idea of a samurai class makes much sense. because most mmorpgs already have a warrior class or an assassin class. Wouldn't a samurai be just another war or assassin? I guess they can add it to the game but in the days of samurai's, samurai's were to kill them selves then be captured. that would make some annoying game play if they went with the realistic ideal of the samurai. But other wise the FF game I've no knowledge besides that. Your best chance to find on is to just google it.
    Not really.  Samurai were nothing like a assassin, that would be a ninja.  Samurai would be a good non tank damage dealer class as they generally didn't use shields taking away from the "tank" image.  Samurai were also very good with a long bow as well as a sword so I think they would make a great damage dealer type class (Like they are in FFXI).

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• complexiatorcomplexiator Member UncommonPosts: 121

There is one in development. http://www.landatwar.com/

If you want it to happen go support these guys.

• HELL_RISERHELL_RISER Member Posts: 11

There is no japan in silkroad only china and Europe.

• elazulblackelazulblack Member Posts: 19

No, but I think it would be a grand addition to the mmo world. :p

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

The pnp RPG  Bushido, would be  a great game to make into an mmorpg.  It was a hybrid class/skill system which means you could be level one and train your sword skill up to max (assuming time/money etc).  And if you pemanently died, you get karma which is extra points to spend on the replacement character. 

Most classes had two scores they had to advance to make level.    A bushi needed killing blows and honor to advance.  Ex:  to get from level 1 to level 2, you needed 10 killing blows and 10 points of honor. In pnp games, the honor became the interesting RPG aspect of the game.  Do something dishonorable and it could really hurt.

• EdgarWrighEdgarWrigh Member UncommonPosts: 6

As of right now, there are very Few MMORPGs that have Samurais, particularly the Samurai Armor.

This is because of 3 things

1- The Samurai is Strongly tied to Japan and Japan makes very Few MMOs to begin whit.

2- The Samurai is viewd as only a side feature in the West, so incoporate's it very little in our games.

3- Koreans View the image of the Samurai as "Devilish" and will down right refuse to anything closed to one in a game (particularly the Armor but not the Katana), even going so far as to get a pallet swap for games that have Samurais in them like Soul Blade/Soul Caliber (Hwang Seong-Gyeong and Arthur where the swaps for Mitsurugi in Korea)

Beyond FFXI a have no idea of any other MMO that have Samurais in them and obviusly anyone that says Korean games have them is Dead Wrong.

Keep it Simple

• renierrenier Member Posts: 106

Thank you all
    I don't know of any
  • NovaireNovaire Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by renier

Thank you all
    I don't know of any

How do you feel you have contributed to this thread? He asked for people who know, not for people who don't know.

• elazulblackelazulblack Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Novaire

Thank you all
    I don't know of any

How do you feel you have contributed to this thread? He asked for people who know, not for people who don't know.

And I assume that you feel as though you've contributed? Hypocrite.

• NovaireNovaire Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by elazulblack

Originally posted by Novaire

Thank you all
    I don't know of any

And I assume that you feel as though you've contributed? Hypocrite.

And now you have contributed as well? The only thing I knew of was already said, I felt no need to say it again. But if you want me to add it, there is an expansion to UO where you can play Ninjas/Samurais. Of course that's a bit outdated. I guess you could try 2Moons, seems to be martial arts inspired at least.

• catharsicatharsi Member Posts: 1

try samurai of legend. it's been around for years now and very popular

www.samuraioflegend.net <Mod edit>