Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Exclusive Screenshots

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

As a part of our recent coverage of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, the folks at EA Mythic have provided us with these two exclusive screenshots from the upcoming MMORPG.

Check out both shots here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• FomarThainFomarThain Member Posts: 55

I know graphics aren't everything but look at the detail of that armor in the first shot. Some love went into that me thinks.

I am so loking forward to this game!

• akienousakienous Member Posts: 2

I like how the design team is staying true to the table top game when it comes to their models.  This is one of the few MMOs with a very healthy history developed for the developer team like WoW,  FFXI, and D&D Online.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Originally posted by FomarThain

I know graphics aren't everything but look at the detail of that armor in the first shot. Some love went into that me thinks.

Very well put!

I think this game is a labor of love! Not to say everything about it will be perfect (I am in beta so I can't comment anyways) but I have never seen an mmo crew so dedicated to stay true to the IP and who (seems) to have such a great connection (free hands) with such a big IP.

I look forward to play this when it goes live for real!

It certainly looks much better than AOC...

• FistljoeFistljoe Member Posts: 21

Nono AOC looks way better fo shoe!

• tikovootikovoo Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Draccan

Very well put!

I think this game is a labor of love! Not to say everything about it will be perfect (I am in beta so I can't comment anyways) but I have never seen an mmo crew so dedicated to stay true to the IP and who (seems) to have such a great connection (free hands) with such a big IP.

Its a nice screen shot thats forsure, but lets not be delusional, AoC character models look and move alot better.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

"Y looks better than X" is really just a matter of taste that will vary from person to person.   Some people like more stylized graphics, some people like more realistic graphics.  Neither is right, it's just what they like.

People who like the look of AoC are the ones who like the barbarian-fantasy look, people who like the look of WAR are those who like the look of the table-top miniatures turned into 3D rendered  models.

And no matter how nice AoC or WAR look, those games have to deliver on gameplay.    That's something we won't know until they release. 

But I will say I like the screenshots, the Witch Elf and Orc duo look like a couple of life-sized Warhammer miniatures.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Well, the game is looking good. I think the ground graphics need some work. The ground should be believable. Technology has came far enough to create dirt, grass, plants, flowers, stones, and etc. It is very last generation to color your ground green, brown, or gray to simulate grass, dirt, and stone.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

Originally posted by tikovoo

Its a nice screen shot thats forsure, but lets not be delusional, AoC character models look and move alot better.

To be fair, the price is that you can't display nearly as many models on screen before they start causing system slowdowns. Which means WAR will likely have larger and more epic sieges than AoC will, and will be more playable with lots of players on screen.

Unless one was delusional, in which case more detailed models with more customization variables (that must be communicated to all players across the area) will have no impact whatsoever on performance.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• tikovootikovoo Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by Grunties

To be fair, the price is that you can't display nearly as many models on screen before they start causing system slowdowns. Which means WAR will likely have larger and more epic sieges than AoC will, and will be more playable with lots of players on screen.

Unless one was delusional, in which case more detailed models with more customization variables (that must be communicated to all players across the area) will have no impact whatsoever on performance.

Wait till you see both, then I'll take your techical inside knowledge of both game engines and see for myself thanks :) either that or go to you tube and see the website that is posted on those recent videos. 

I'd take less people with fluid animations and different looking characters rather than 100 people who all the look the same complaining it take 5 second to complete one attack and that the combat animation has 20 frames to it..

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Very well put!

Um....no!, I'd say AoC looks alot better graphically, and combat wise as well. Sword damage being on a constant AOE attack style, that's how it should be and that's how AoC delivers it.

All the above are screenshots, from the actual game (not concpet art, not CGI).

• CendhariaCendharia Member UncommonPosts: 319

Thats some pretty ornate looking gear...I have to say....bet that artist spent alot of time over those. :)

Me too..can't wait. :D

Cend

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

"Y looks better than X" is really just a matter of taste that will vary from person to person.   Some people like more stylized graphics, some people like more realistic graphics.  Neither is right, it's just what they like.
    People who like the look of AoC are the ones who like the barbarian-fantasy look, people who like the look of WAR are those who like the look of the table-top miniatures turned into 3D rendered  models.
    And no matter how nice AoC or WAR look, those games have to deliver on gameplay.    That's something we won't know until they release. 
    But I will say I like the screenshots, the Witch Elf and Orc duo look like a couple of life-sized Warhammer miniatures.
     Indeed...to quote an old quote...."beauty is in the eye of the beholder".....but I have to say I agree ..that War is looking better and better to me...I can see changes,  evolutions in the characters they have created, this is good shows progress.

As for AOC ...I really don't care what Funcom is doing...really I don't ....hehehe :P

Cend

• permsterpermster Member UncommonPosts: 102

The graphics in this game confuse me.  In one screenshot you see detailed armor and detailed character models and in another you get toon looking mobs for example.  It seems as though they are trying to merry the two, but I honestly don't like it. 

By the way, the Warhammer screenshots look like dog poo compared to those AoC shown in the above comparison.  My opinion only, but the AoC ones are insanely detailed.

Originally posted by permster

The graphics in this game confuse me.  In one screenshot you see detailed armor and detailed character models and in another you get toon looking mobs for example.  It seems as though they are trying to merry the two, but I honestly don't like it. 
    By the way, the Warhammer screenshots look like dog poo compared to those AoC shown in the above comparison.  My opinion only, but the AoC ones are insanely detailed.
    We are talking about Warhammer...in this forum....I DO believe there is a forum specifically for singing the "praises" of AOC....why don't you toddle on over there? ^^ 

Cend

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

AOC by far has more realistic and detailed models...but from what I've been reading up on it...it will play more like guild wars than a real mmo.

forced pathing for teh lose. Guild Wars looked great..but the fact that you could only run in certain places and had to basically stay on the paths made the immersion blow.

From what I hear AOC is headed the same way. Meh.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by daelnor

AOC by far has more realistic and detailed models...but from what I've been reading up on it...it will play more like guild wars than a real mmo.
    forced pathing for teh lose. Guild Wars looked great..but the fact that you could only run in certain places and had to basically stay on the paths made the immersion blow.
    From what I hear AOC is headed the same way. Meh.

Careful my friend, you might got into trouble with NDA.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

how so? I'm not in any betas. I only know what rumors I've heard online.

I don't have any access to anything the general public doesn't.

If any of that was leaked from somewhere I have no knowledge of it. I thought it was common knowledge.

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250

What I wanna know is where are all of the damn shadows in these screenshots? The models do not even have shadows (besides small Nintendo64 blobs underneath in some shots)! Dynamic shadowing is a must have in any next gen MMO.

• permsterpermster Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Cendharia

Originally posted by permster

We are talking about Warhammer...in this forum....I DO believe there is a forum specifically for singing the "praises" of AOC....why don't you toddle on over there? ^^ 

Cend

Why did you quote my entire post?  The only derogatory statement I made was the dog poo.  You can't deny that the AoC screenshots are insanely detailed compared to Warhammer ones.  I'm not the one who posted them in this thread.  Go bash someone else.

• Falcon4196Falcon4196 Member Posts: 106

Very well put!

Graphics are maybe forth on my list  of things that consider when I get a game.  The fact is that the things that I have read  about AoC haven't gotten me that excited.  As for WAR, I've been tracking it for about 2 years now and still can't wait for it.

Games I've Played: WoW, FFXI, SWG, CoH, EVE Online
    Games I'm Waiting for: WAR, Stargate Worlds

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I care about graphics, but it's not something I'll lose a ton of sleep over.  If AoC performs like Vanguard and if WAR performs better on a wider variety of systems... the edge goes to WAR. 

If WAR had generated any type of controversy over nudity or violence/gore, then I think people would think differently about it.

If I could skip both games and play Warhammer 40K online... I would.  I can't. 

So, I'm stuck choosing between 2 more 'fantasy' based games.  I pre-ordered WAR.  I'll check out AoC, too...but WAR is my first choice between the two.  I just wish it launched first.