Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: How You Look - Trophy System and More

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

While in Virginia, Jon Wood had the opportunity to see a presentation by Item Designer Justin Webb where he told us a little bit about the game's trophy system and some other customization tidbits.

Items play a vital role in any MMORPG. They are one of the carrots that is dangled in front of players as they move around from mission to mission. They are the outward manifestations of our characters, they serve as trophies that decorate our characters (and our vault spaces). They show where our characters have been and what they have accomplished.

While in Virginia at the EA Mythic studio, I had the opportunity to sit down and talk to Justin Webb, the Item Strike Force Lead (the WAR dev team is divided into smaller strike teams who focus on specific elements of the game). It was Justin’s job to tell the gathered reporters about the game’s trophy system where the items don’t just decorate our characters in terms of armor, helmets and pants, but instead literally decorate our characters with the spoils of war.

Read it all here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by Stradden

While in Virginia, Jon Wood had the opportunity to see a presentation by Item Designer Justin Webb where he told us a little bit about the gmae's trophy system and some other customization tidbits.

Items play a vital role in any MMORPG. They are one of the carrots that is dangled in front of players as they move around from mission to mission. They are the outward manifestations of our characters, they serve as trophies that decorate our characters (and our vault spaces). They show where our characters have been and what they have accomplished.
    While in Virginia at the EA Mythic studio, I had the opportunity to sit down and talk to Justin Webb, the Item Strike Force Lead (the WAR dev team is divided into smaller strike teams who focus on specific elements of the game). It was Justin’s job to tell the gathered reporters about the game’s trophy system where the items don’t just decorate our characters in terms of armor, helmets and pants, but instead literally decorate our characters with the spoils of war.

Read it all here.

you mis-spelled game in your 1st sentence.

• Arkane_AArkane_A Member Posts: 365

Was still a good read, glad they are starting to make information more public rather than just letting beta testers know whats up!

• akienousakienous Member Posts: 2

nice to finally have something cool and fun that doesn't require hours upon hours of dungen grinding to acquire.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Perfect. I like being different from everyone else if possible and this does this. Not having stats on it is great no need to have everyone picking the same things as the article read. Love it!

• Alan0nAlan0n Member Posts: 576

This will be a very cool feature.  And we know WOW for example will not be able to do this cause their crapix engine can't handle it.  And ... then they actually had to make new armors instead of just repainting them....

Big feature of MMOs so good luck with this Mythic.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Cool feature, but primarily I hope apon launch that they will have a good amount of the basic. Which is hairstyles and face styles.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

It's little things like this that show me Mythic is trying. Do they have to do it? No, it's not essential to the game. But it's a very nice ambient feature, something you notice at first but then you quickly take it for granted. That's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to WAR, besides the major stuff of course.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• E1ioE1io Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Valentina

Cool feature, but primarily I hope apon launch that they will have a good amount of the basic. Which is hairstyles and face styles.

They will, its just that they aren't putting them into beta so everyone has a stable client.

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

That sounds amazing!

I really hate my characters looking the same as someone elses. When you walk around the corner and there are people walking past looking like your long lost twin it just screams"Its a GAME - it's all FAKE!" which may be true, but not something i like to be reminded off when i just spent 10 hours straight playing it :P

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I enjoyed reading about this. It sounds very fun. I hope there will be numerous trophies for each class but hope that some will be usable by more than one class. The dyeing sounds like it will be able to add to the characters without being horrible task that some games make it.

• GhimpiGhimpi Member Posts: 28

The WAR dye system looks to build upon the system DAoC used, but they're going about it slightly differently. DAoC just flood dyed. WAR looks to use 2 colors and even have masked out areas to retain class specific color hints. So, every piece of armor and equipment has the potential to have 2-3 different colors on it. That's gonna help nicely with variation.

As far as character customization, heck even the CE buyers are getting 12 custom new heads. The only reason why we probably do not see any variation right now is that is not what they are testing right now. There'll be plenty of head, hair and other variations at launch. Their concentration is game mechanics atm, not who looks the most individual. That comes later on.

I'm just itching to get some epic mob trophies to put on like a kings head. :)

Ghimpi Stormhammer
    GM Pendragon Regulars - Dwarfs - Warpstone - WAR
    ex-GM Celtic Dragon - Hibernia - Pendragon - DAoC
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Nice feature.  Always cool to add individuality to MMOs

• comitroncomitron Member UncommonPosts: 37

Their primary goal is to have silhouettes that allow players to immediately identify the career of any given character. This means that if you strip everything away: the detail, the color, etc. and leave only a shadow, I will know that the Witch Hunter is a Witch Hunter, the Sorceress is a Sorceress and so on. ...

Why... how could this possibly be a good thing? What they are really trying to do here is "spin" their standardized template wire frame models as a good thing.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Reading the posts and the article makes anticipate the game even more!!

MYTHIC YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

Sounds like fun, it'll be nice to have a bit of customization instead of everyone farming for the same gear. I look forward to appearing a bit different from everyone else.

• YaishaYaisha Member Posts: 117

I have a related question that maybe someone in beta can answer.  The CE comes with 'heads' does that mean that at character creation you pick a head or do you pick the hair/face/etc. separately?

I am glad to hear more news about the trophy system since this hasn't popped up in a while although I wish there were some example screenshots.

• fuellefuelle Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Ascension08

It's little things like this that show me Mythic is trying. Do they have to do it? No, it's not essential to the game. But it's a very nice ambient feature, something you notice at first but then you quickly take it for granted. That's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to WAR, besides the major stuff of course.

I agree completely.  The trophy system is something wonderful that in lots of games would get cut initially in order to make the release date.  I also really love the fact that they aren't putting stats on the trophies.  Numerous times in games I have loved the look of a certain piece of gear, or gotten some really rare low level item, but then when I level up and get something better I always have to replace it.  While I would keep a lot of these items around in my bank, I would only get to bust them out every once in a while.  I also really just love collecting the novelty items in games like pets and like my Magical Crawdad and Tiny Spore Bat pets in WoW.  I can't wait to collect all kinds of these trophhies, even the low level ones just for fun.  While I refuse to ever preorder games so I dont have something happen to me like what happened to all the people in Vanguard, this REALLY makes me want to preorder a CE right now.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I'm guessing the character customization will be along the lines of DAOC, being as this game is built upon an improved DAOC engine.

With that said..by the time I quit playing DAOC there was a good bit of customization with the characters at creation.

The two tone armor thing is a bit different.

I'm a bit curious as to what the 12 heads for the CE has to do with customization myself.

Like the above poster said...does that mean you just pick a whole head for a character now? Or do you pick a basic head, then adjust eye colors, nose, cheeks, lips etc. like you could in DAOC?

Will be interesting to see.

Also..I hope they implement something like in DAOC, where you didn't have to have a big arse helm if you didn't want to...you had those circlets that functioned the same, but allowed you to show your characters face.

That and the /hood thing for cloaks. That was cool.

• sabutai22sabutai22 Member Posts: 262

Perfect, just what we needed. So its just not only a level based grind fest, but now its "gear" based grind fest as well. GG!

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    Originally posted by sabutai22

Perfect, just what we needed. So its just not only a level based grind fest, but now its "gear" based grind fest as well. GG!

Wow, nice.  You do realize that the trophies don't have stats right?  That they're just there to "look cool."  I mean it's funny when people put their foot in their mouth but wow, I don't even think you read the article at all.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by sabutai22

Either a troll/WAR hater or someone whose attention span is so short he cannot read through an entire article.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

With a title like "How you Look..." don't you think some media is warrented to accompany the article?  Show me.

• godeda24godeda24 Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by greymann

With a title like "How you Look..." don't you think some media is warrented to accompany the article?  Show me.
    Here are some vids one of dye other of trophies.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/29401

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/29396

• GhimpiGhimpi Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Yaisha
    I have a related question that maybe someone in beta can answer.  The CE comes with 'heads' does that mean that at character creation you pick a head or do you pick the hair/face/etc. separately?

I am glad to hear more news about the trophy system since this hasn't popped up in a while although I wish there were some example

I can tell you right now you won't get an answer on that unless the developers answer that question. As beta testers, they can't even hint at anything outside what is released into the public. That can only be answered through an article writeup, a developer post or a media released video. Any other source is a sure fire way to get dropped from beta.

Ghimpi Stormhammer
    GM Pendragon Regulars - Dwarfs - Warpstone - WAR
    ex-GM Celtic Dragon - Hibernia - Pendragon - DAoC
  • Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

I think they are doing a GREAT work, nice to know that we can customize at that level.

Keep up the good work WAR Devs Team