Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destruction way more popular than Order

I've browsed through a couple of WAR forums, and many have a sub-forum for each faction. I noticed that on all sites, the Destruction factions (Chaos, Dark Elves and Orcs) vastly outnumbered the Order factions in terms of post-counts.

Now I know this is hardly solid proof of Destruction outnumbering Order when the game goes live, but it is a real possibility. So, how will this be handled in regards to RvR balance? I only played a little DAoC, and I seem to recall them giving an xp/loot bonus to the under-populated factions. Did this work for DAoC, or is population-imbalance just a well-known flaw for RvR?

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Regarding balancing I'm unsure. But about Destruction looking like it will be more popular than Order I doubt. Many of the players that will play the game don't go forums and aren't that active at all; what you see represented on the forums is just the hardcore part of the community, what race they choose and how their choice of race is balanced is probably different from the other part of the crowd. I don't believe we will see such differences as polls on forums may hint.

• dethgardethgar Member Posts: 293

Godliest is probably right. The casual players and some hardcore lore fans will pick Order over Destruction because of the obivious Human/Dwarf/Elf's that they identify with based on LoTR and Warcraft. However, a great deal is made of Chaos and Orcs in both Fantasy and 40k lore, they are by far the two most popular races lore wise, rivaled only by the Imperium.

• GenoknightGenoknight Member Posts: 156

yup, A lot of the casual players will end up filling in the order races.

• Arkane_AArkane_A Member Posts: 365

As Godliest stated I doubt Destruction will be the more popular side. You also can almost never go by pre-release polls. For World of Warcraft the server of Skullcrusher had a poll that had Horde outnumbering the Alliance almost 3:1, while in game the server was almost the exact opposite, with a 2:1 ratio favoring the Alliance being the larger side. Only time will tell.

• GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

Aah, but the WoW Horde didn't have Dark Elves and Death Metal (Chaos)!

I wonder though...the casual people argument is valid, and I considered that myself, but I figure WAR will see considerably less casuals than WoW. More people are familiar with the lore, and the game has a stronger PvP focus than WoW as well. And as you know, the Horde/Alliance ratio is a lot more even on WoW's PvP realms.

Ah well, we'll see. I'll join the Empire, that's for sure. Smite those Dark Elf Sorceresses and Chaos Warriors (Goth and Metal punks respectively ) in the name of Sigmar!

• Arkane_AArkane_A Member Posts: 365

There will likely be more people that want to associate with the "good" elves, and "good" humans, more so than their Destruction partners. Based on looks alone I can see a ton of people wanting to play the Witch Hunter. Dwarfs also have their history in many of the past games and MMOs while Greenskins ( Orcs and Goblins ) are featured far less. 

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

As with every MMO I can think of, the 'good' side ALWAYS has more players than 'evil' side.  Its human nature amongst the masses that they pick 'good'.

Order will have more players than Destruction, its how it always been and always will be when a choice exists between good and evil.

Me I'm playing Chaos Muhahah

• EasyEEasyE Member Posts: 111

If only this was 40k and I could be a Blood Angel...

Sig by WhiskeyJack1

• vickypollardvickypollard Member Posts: 305

Why play Luke when you could play Vader?

• wihtgarwihtgar Member UncommonPosts: 119

Originally posted by EasyE

The Blood Angles are a weak chapter who hide the identiy of their primarch......   Now if I could be a Space Wolf, or an Imperial Fist, or even an Ultramarine...

• EasyEEasyE Member Posts: 111

Originally posted by wihtgar

Originally posted by EasyE

The Blood Angles are a weak chapter who hide the identiy of their primarch......   Now if I could be a Space Wolf, or an Imperial Fist, or even an Ultramarine...

Pffft I'll go Black Rage on your ass.

Russ buggered off like a pansy.

Dorn wasn't even killed by another Primarch.

Goulliman was layed out by Fulgrim.

My boy Sanguinius had to be killed by friggin' Horus!

Sig by WhiskeyJack1

• NoradXIIXNoradXIIX Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by GrumpyJester

I've browsed through a couple of WAR forums, and many have a sub-forum for each faction. I noticed that on all sites, the Destruction factions (Chaos, Dark Elves and Orcs) vastly outnumbered the Order factions in terms of post-counts.
    Now I know this is hardly solid proof of Destruction outnumbering Order when the game goes live, but it is a real possibility. So, how will this be handled in regards to RvR balance? I only played a little DAoC, and I seem to recall them giving an xp/loot bonus to the under-populated factions. Did this work for DAoC, or is population-imbalance just a well-known flaw for RvR?

We will probably see the correct choice of alliance when the game is out.. Cuse lots of people is not even looking at forums/info/videos and such cuse they have patient to wait :D And everything can happen to make people changes their mindzz :P

MMO-Hunter/Spethz
    [email protected]

Originally posted by Vortigon

As with every MMO I can think of, the 'good' side ALWAYS has more players than 'evil' side.  Its human nature amongst the masses that they pick 'good'.
    Order will have more players than Destruction, its how it always been and always will be when a choice exists between good and evil.

Me I'm playing Chaos Muhahah
    Originally posted by vickypollard

Why play Luke when you could play Vader?

See, for me it's the exact opposite. Everybody around me always picked the "oooh, cool, wicked badguys with spikez!" side. For me, the 'underdog' choice is the good guys

But say there will be enough casuals in WAR to even the odds...that makes it even worse! According to a research project I read on the differences between the players of the Horde and the Alliance in WoW (I believe it was called the Daedalus Project?), the Horde drew in a more competitive adolescent crowd, while the Alliance drew in a more passive 'old farts' and 'young kids' crowd (warning: simplified and on average).

Now, studies like this should be taken with a grain of salt, but still... it does add up with the fact that Destruction is way more popular with the more hardcore/forum-visiting gamers. Which means I'll be stuck on the Order side with a bunch of teens and 30+ year-olds! That's no good for RvR! (no offense 30+ year-olds, I'm nearing that category as well, but we need more competitive adolescents! )

Ah well, mindless speculation and obscure researches and theories...pointless, but I need to kill time until WAR gets released!

• local93bclocal93bc Member Posts: 353

Somthing you have to consider as well.

The population will pick diffrent servers. So even if destruction outnumbers order by many you might see servers that order outnuber destruction.

Personally I think destruction will outnumber order two players to one.  Its going to be a big problem in this game & I can see the Dev's having a real problem making this game Fair for the order side.

There are alot of things that could be done to even out the games population, but Mythic dont have the balls to do it.

Im intrested to see how long they can keep this one up befor they mess it all up and players cancel there sub.

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

As far as I read the only thing that will balance out the sides will be Dogs of War.  NPC's that will help the lesser player-base out at top level in each tier.  In the scheme of things the solo players on the lesser side will be able to walk around with powerful NPC's in RvR to get extra damage but get less renown because they didnt kill 100% obviously.  On the other side a solo player on the greater side will face off against most likely bad odds 2v1 or more.

I dont believe there will be any other incentive like bonus xp or loot.  But of course only time will tell.

I have a feeling the lesser side will win just because of the powerful Dogs of War to balance things out, the NPCS can play 24hrs a player cant (typically).  the NPCS will die many times meaning they will be worth almost 0 renown everytime so it doesnt help the greater side of the server much.,

• CaedesAstrumCaedesAstrum Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by local93bc

Somthing you have to consider as well.

The population will pick diffrent servers. So even if destruction outnumbers order by many you might see servers that order outnuber destruction.

Personally I think destruction will outnumber order two players to one.  Its going to be a big problem in this game & I can see the Dev's having a real problem making this game Fair for the order side.

There are alot of things that could be done to even out the games population, but Mythic dont have the balls to do it.

Im intrested to see how long they can keep this one up befor they mess it all up and players cancel there sub.

what makes you think that destruction will outnumber order, polls done right now are in no way going to give you an accurate picture of which side will be bigger. as far as balance goes ive never seen pop imbalance cause players to leave, if anything the outnumbered side usually ends up being far better at pvp because they are forced to play smarter to win....

• sirslayerrsirslayerr Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by GrumpyJester

See, for me it's the exact opposite. Everybody around me always picked the "oooh, cool, wicked badguys with spikez!" side. For me, the 'underdog' choice is the good guys  
     Which means I'll be stuck on the Order side with a bunch of teens and 30+ year-olds! That's no good for RvR! (no offense 30+ year-olds, I'm nearing that category as well, but we need more competitive adolescents! )

I wouldn't worry about it, I've always found people around my age (low 20's), who vastly enjoy killing other people no matter what side I land on.

Plus, like you said, I really get the feeling destruction will be overpopulated at launch so my first character is going to be an order one. I'll enjoy running around killing all of those "competitve adolescents" who chose destruction.

• phluuxphluux Member Posts: 211

Which means I'll be stuck on the Order side with a bunch of teens and 30+ year-olds! That's no good for RvR! (no offense 30+ year-olds, I'm nearing that category as well, but we need more competitive adolescents! )

Hmm, keep in mind that a lot of us 30+ yr olds were playing MMOs while some of you folks were still playing Mario Kart. I know that me and my guildmates have much more experience than your average "younger" crowd. ;)

• E1ioE1io Member Posts: 86

I honestly think their will be an even spread.

While every site seems to point at being Chaos favored, how can you not like the Order classes either? I think balance won't be an issue.

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

Your all just speculating... because no matter how cool a class "looks" or how many books you have read about a certain race.... your going to play the most powerful class, your a gamer and thats what you do.

If I took a poll of the most popular races dwarf is going to come in last. But the most powerful class in the game is the dwarven grudgebearer.... and one of the weakest is the chaos warrior, yet everyone claims they want to play him because its "cool"

trust me,  when game launches, 90 people will roll the chaos warrior and day 2 85 of them will reroll dwarves. the population situation wont be sorted out for at least a year from today, so lets not even begin to specualte about it now.

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

But as gamers many of us like to play things from all angles and enjoy many roles regardless of 'cool' or 'power' factors.  Power gamers will always look for 'power' classes.  RPG gamers will always look for several classes to meet several 'roles' they wish to play with depending on their mood.  Achievers, tactical, and adventure players will play as many as they can stand so that they've mastered the many ways of the game that fits their personal likes.   (if it wasn't for those people Power Gamers would have to figure everything out on their own, who do you think writes all the guides to every lil tiny bitty thing!  Its definitly not the power gamers).

If it wasn't for the varried types of gamers ... there'd wouldn't be so many varried ways to play a game it'd just be here you are here's a weapon go kill.  Thats left to FPS games where usually there's little difference between 'characters' it all comes down to weapon and RL skill and thats not what MMORPG's are about.

I'm hoping that the Dev's have some way to encourage people to servers to keep balance or create balance, they've only hinted at how they might do this through buffs n other untangible things.  I'm hoping that one way they do this is to not open to many servers and keep open all the empty servers. 

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

Originally posted by kraiden

Your all just speculating... because no matter how cool a class "looks" or how many books you have read about a certain race.... your going to play the most powerful class, your a gamer and thats what you do.
    But the most powerful class in the game is the dwarven grudgebearer....

I personally play classes which have a high complexity level to master, and have a lot of things going on at once. That just happens to mostly be the pet classes and the ranged fighters. Sometimes I switch over and play a hybrid support/dps class, all depends on how I feel. I never follow the flavor of the month class.

Also, are you sure you don't mean a dwarven ironbreaker? You've been saying grudgebearer for a while, but there's no class called there as of now.

• KhaoticImpKhaoticImp Member Posts: 5

Compared to the Size of WoW Ide say a small percentage of the millions of players post on the forums much less read. It was months after I was playing that I started actively posting.

If Anything I can see it being a Horde/Alliance balance again were most servers Alliance will outnumber the Horde drastically.

Alliance outnumbered Horde on most PvE servers 2(or3) to 1, while on PvP servers, Horde usually had the favor of the 2 to 1.

Originally posted by sirslayerr

Alliance outnumbered Horde on most PvE servers 2(or3) to 1, while on PvP servers, Horde usually had the favor of the 2 to 1.
    While I believe it was closer to 1:1 on PvP servers, it doesn't really matter. The Alliance wasn't more popular with the PvP crowd, and WAR will probably have a large PvP crowd.

Destruction is not the Horde in terms of appeal. It's not just about good or evil. The huge success of the Blood Elves showed that. In fact, the only two really 'evil' races of the Horde (Undead and Blood Elves) were the most popular by far.