Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R.I.P. Gary Gygax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

Looks like he rolled a 1.

Thanks for all the fun and inspiration Mr Gygax, I salute you!

You must not leave until you free Arlos and have gathered your party safely in this hallway.

Comments

• Vampirian28Vampirian28 Member Posts: 49

WOW.....

I owe him many thanks for untold hours of letting my imagination seek new heights. Mt Dew owes him a thanks for all the money they made off us gamers that wanted to be up all night, pizza places, and of course the whole gaming industry owes him a debt of gratitude....where would we be without his inspiration.

All the games, the books, the movies....

I hope the afterlife is everything he envisioned!

KASE (Killer 80.00%, Achiever 53.33%, Socializer 40.00%, Explorer 26.67%)

UO, EQ, AC, AO, Shadowbane, DAOC, Horizons, Lineage II, FFXI, PS, SWG, EQ2, WoW, City of Villans, Tabula Rasa, PoTBS, Vanguard, GW, AoC, WAR, DF1, Aion,Champions Online, DC Universe,SWToR, GW2, PS2, DFUW beta in that order I think. (And a lot of f2p games)

• JrodJrod Member Posts: 234

I was just about to post this http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4373&mforum=trolllordgames

The father of mmo's dead.

RIP Garry.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

A sad time for gamers of all ilks.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• HvymetalHvymetal Member Posts: 355

See you on the other side DM..........

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Sad day indeed.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

:(

:(((

*remove tears from eyes*

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Failed his saving throw.

A RPG icon

• we3sterwe3ster Member Posts: 355

You must not leave until you free Arlos and have gathered your party safely in this hallway.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Well, I'm Irish so... Gary, this one's for you! Thanks for all the good times, past and future. Cheers!

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• UploadUpload Member Posts: 679

Gary Gygax, the father of the role-playing game. I think we all owe him a big thank you. Rest in peace.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Dear Mr Gygax,

I know you met millions of nerds in your life, but meeting you in Atlanta was a rare opportunity that I still cherish.  Thank you for the hundreds of hours of mind blowing (and several hundred boring) adventure, your impact on the world will be remembered for generations.

Sincerely,

Luke "CaesarsGhost" Peterfreund

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• KelkyenKelkyen Member Posts: 45

Never has so much nerddom been been owed by so many, to so few

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I for one wouldn't be where I am today if it had not been for D&D. I got the first boxed set from my grandmother for christmas at the age of 8 and never looked back. It sparked my imagination and creative thinking that has driven me throughout my life.

I personally believe the afterlife is what you make of it. So I hope he's up there exploring Sigil and avoiding the gaze of the Lady of Pain. :)

Best wishes to his friends and family as well.

• MaadiahMaadiah Member Posts: 67

Gary Gygax dead??!!

Can I have yer stuff???

j/k

rest in peace Gary, you helped alot of us navigate through troubled waters...

• GiygasGiygas Member Posts: 19

It's incredible to think how much of an influence he had on so many games.  Of course now it seems obvious that if you're attacking someone you would calculate their strength, your defense, and some random chance of hitting them, but there was a time when no one had thought of that.  And now it seems so ubiquitous that it's difficult to think how it would be done otherwise.  What a paradigm shift.  Wow.

We'll miss you

http://www.QuickQuests.com - The Minutes-A-Day MMORPG that won't consume your life

• mOoKmOoK Member Posts: 26

He’ll certainly be missed.  I wasted MANY an afternoon with friends bickering over minutiae because of him!

But I think we all know he’s running around with the "Vice Presidential Action Rangers" (lead by Al Gore, with Stephen Hawking, Nichelle Nichols, Gary Gygax and Deep Blue)

http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Anthology_Of_Interest_I

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

may he rest in peace

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• † Rest in Peace, Gary Gygax †

• cmgangrelcmgangrel Member UncommonPosts: 152

he shall me missed greatly...

One of the few people who you can truely say influenced FAR too many people near and far around the world, across multiple platforms.

He was truely one of the great ones.....

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

Mr. Gygax:

Thanks for showing us how important it is to have a vivid imagination.

*raises mug*

Cheers!

• EveeldourEveeldour Member UncommonPosts: 143

RIP Brosef

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

r.i.p.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

wow this is pretty heart breaking.  I remember as a kid at the age of 10 in '80 getting started with D&D playing with my older brother because they lacked party members and was hooked on the first day.

The name Gygax was on everything we read and played for the game. 

oh well..  Heres to ya!

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • forthelulzforthelulz Member Posts: 215

sigh. the original dungeon master is gone. the entire video game industry owes him. without his influence

most of us would not call ourselves gamers. the entire world of mmorpg might not exist.

1d4+1 moment of silence.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

With reason You drew, with honor you sheathed. Rest In Peace.