Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

first impressions

i saw the open beta offer and given i d just given up warcraft i thought i might as well give it a try . i must say its a lot better looking than i thought it would be . i cant really comment on gameplay too much . combat seams ok and graphically its very nice to look at . i found myself in one of the instanced citys which was as impressive as some i  ve seen in warcraft . theres an ingame transport system similar to the windriders in warcraft . i found an auction house , ingame economys are always interesting to have . i did nt see anything like a quest giver ( so maybe this will be a grind fest which can limit its appeal big time ) . character creations ok you get the choice of three races and you have quite a few options to customise the character . unlike a lot of betas i ve found enough to interest me to keep playing for a bit . which is a rarity for me . if you dont have anything better to do or just want a change i would say this is worth a try .

Comments

• LolpigsLolpigs Member Posts: 70

there are heaps of quests, you have to be the right level to get them.

also you can buy quests from a toon in the first village.

i'm just a little stuck after completing all those at level 10 where to go next to get more quests.

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

actually just came back onto rectify that . there are quests in this game i ve also seen in chat that there are instances at later levels and also found there is a type of arena play (battleground ?)not tried it yet . all in all i m getting more impressed the more i play . i m starting to think this could be this years underdog success story . i m definatly sticking with it. it ll be interesting to see how it pans out . dont get put off by the grind  at the start . its not just one long dungeon nor does it looks to be just a grind fest . pretty impressive so far compared to nearly all the mmos i ve tried . also a breath of fresh air that its not your standard orcs elves and dwarfs fantasy .

• Player-XPlayer-X Member Posts: 83

Played it all last night and most of today/night...

....not that impressed ..... When I got tired of grinding/pointless quests I tried the battlegrounds and wasnt impressed either. It just felt retarded.

Too many stupid people in general may have put a downer on me?? i don't know. I felt the hook went with it and lost it? 

i think i keep comparing it to my early days on wow . i think with any of these type of games its early quests tend to be a bit dull . i ve not tried the battlegrounds as yet . leveling seams awfully fast to me . that may not be a bad thing on a beta though you need people to get through to advanced content quickly .  it does lack that sence of danger you get in a pvp server on warcraft . mmos need protangonists,an opposing faction to keep them interesting i think . maybe  this has that with enamy guilds later . am going to stick with it , if nothing else its a nice free filler till conans out .

• drklunkdrklunk Member Posts: 84

im very impressed with this. theyve done a great job making it feel like a normal MMO. when i say normal, i mean one youd pay for. it doesnt feel at all to me like the typical korean grinder... minus the stupid running animation on some races and the incredibly large two handed swords.

battle grounds are very fun in my opinion. although i feel their imbalanced at times their still fun. quests arent all the same but many require you to go from point a to point b too often. instance parties are incredibly fun, nightmare parties are fun, this game is just fun. theres GORE which is excellent in my opinion. sometimes chuckle when im fighting some creature and my fireballs dont blow it in half but a normal melee attack does. the only problem i have with this game is the flaming on the chat and major bugs. if its F2P itll be THE BEST free MMO out there, if it goes P2P then it wont last long

• GungorrGungorr Member UncommonPosts: 11

this game seems like a good game but i dont think it will be a must have game

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

I have played this game up to lvl 13 so far, it really picks up after lvl 10.

Considering this game is still in beta stage, which apparently a lot of people keep forgetting, it is very well done.

The keys can be re-mapped, quests are all over, either from certain people or bought from clients. I found myself playing for a few hours before i realised how late it was, so it kept my interest and I keep looking forward to seeing whats next.

The nightmare time is a nice twist and something thats definately different as the mobs react differently during this time.

All in all, I am liking the game especially after lvl 10 its a whole new ballgame as you start to get your true combat moves which is a nice improvement over your training moves.

Plenty of blood for those interested and I find it funny watching the creature or even your character flop around for a bit when killed along with body parts flying around on final blow.

For a free to play game I am impressed and will be keeping this game on the computer for sure.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

i would tend to agree it wont be a must have game . i doubt if it ll be free to play one past beta will it ? well i m off to play it again i want to get to the more interesting features in the game . download it and join me i dont think you ll regret it .

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Having made it to lv 22 here are a few of my observations.

Game is addictive. Don't know if it is the gore are what, but the grind is not that bad. This is a Korean MMO so there IS a grind.

Classes are fun to play. While you spend most of your time in 1 of 6 "jobs" there are more skills then you can reasonably get which makes you tailor your character to a single playing style. For instance I play a shaman which is one of 3 caster jobs. There are three main skill sets I could take. HoTs/buffs, Melee, and fire based attacks. At 22 I could have all 15 skills (up to that level) at rank 1. Now that would make me fairly weak. I currently have 8 out of those 15 skills ranging from rank 1 to rank 3. I focused on fire damage / buffs and can put a hurt down while having decent melee protection.

The DNA system is pretty much what the talent system is for WoW. It is a bit more tactical since you can swap DNA out at a merchant (for a cost) and you are limited to 5 slots with the possibility of a 6th bonus ability if you have a correct combination of 5.

Items are your run of the mill standard random stats. You can upgrade them with special drops to get some quite powerful items starting at lv 10+.

Guild system leaves a lot to be desired. Basically you can invite people, set guild message, and talk in guild channel. Not much else to it.

Nightmare time from 23:00 - 3:00 (game time) is essentially when the elite mobs come out. Good times if you logged out in the wild, I have logged in getting a beat down by multiple nightmare mobs. Fun option, but not so common as to ruin solo play for 4 in game hours.

Game is suppose to be 17+, but global chat can get idiotic at times. There is an ignore feature and you can turn any channel if you want.

Dungeons are like 5 man runs in WoW except you can have up to a party of 8. Bosses can be tough, but not overly difficult. 1 - 2 Tank + 2 - 6 DPS + 1 - 2 healers = pretty easy time. Dungeons do take advantage of the jump feature and use of 3d space. You will be jumping over bottomless pits (fall and you die) and running over thin stone bridges suspended over pits and monsters (if you fall you suffer then you die). Fun, but essentially a minor grind.

Quests are pretty standard affair. Kill x mobs. Deliver package to x NPC. Nothing new, but then again I am not sure you can get "new" with quests. Everything can be broken down to kill x, deliver x quests. Some just have more bells and whistles.

Overall it is a solid game and while it is Korean, there is enough western MMO influence to make it fun to play. The game is suppose to be F2P which would make it the best F2P MMO I have tested to date.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

Originally posted by atziluth

Game is addictive. Don't know if it is the gore are what, but the grind is not that bad. This is a Korean MMO so there IS a grind.
    Classes are fun to play. While you spend most of your time in 1 of 6 "jobs" there are more skills then you can reasonably get which makes you tailor your character to a single playing style. For instance I play a shaman which is one of 3 caster jobs. There are three main skill sets I could take. HoTs/buffs, Melee, and fire based attacks. At 22 I could have all 15 skills (up to that level) at rank 1. Now that would make me fairly weak. I currently have 8 out of those 15 skills ranging from rank 1 to rank 3. I focused on fire damage / buffs and can put a hurt down while having decent melee protection.
    The DNA system is pretty much what the talent system is for WoW. It is a bit more tactical since you can swap DNA out at a merchant (for a cost) and you are limited to 5 slots with the possibility of a 6th bonus ability if you have a correct combination of 5.
    Items are your run of the mill standard random stats. You can upgrade them with special drops to get some quite powerful items starting at lv 10+.
    Guild system leaves a lot to be desired. Basically you can invite people, set guild message, and talk in guild channel. Not much else to it.
    Nightmare time from 23:00 - 3:00 (game time) is essentially when the elite mobs come out. Good times if you logged out in the wild, I have logged in getting a beat down by multiple nightmare mobs. Fun option, but not so common as to ruin solo play for 4 in game hours.
    Game is suppose to be 17+, but global chat can get idiotic at times. There is an ignore feature and you can turn any channel if you want.
    Dungeons are like 5 man runs in WoW except you can have up to a party of 8. Bosses can be tough, but not overly difficult. 1 - 2 Tank + 2 - 6 DPS + 1 - 2 healers = pretty easy time. Dungeons do take advantage of the jump feature and use of 3d space. You will be jumping over bottomless pits (fall and you die) and running over thin stone bridges suspended over pits and monsters (if you fall you suffer then you die). Fun, but essentially a minor grind.
    Quests are pretty standard affair. Kill x mobs. Deliver package to x NPC. Nothing new, but then again I am not sure you can get "new" with quests. Everything can be broken down to kill x, deliver x quests. Some just have more bells and whistles.
    Overall it is a solid game and while it is Korean, there is enough western MMO influence to make it fun to play. The game is suppose to be F2P which would make it the best F2P MMO I have tested to date.
    Very nice write up..

Though I am not as high a lvl as you are I am still having a good time with the game. Actually been trying not to overdue the gametime since it is still beta and would hate to see the wipe at release if I was up there pretty good.

I will definately be keeping the game, that I already know.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

well atziluth said it all. i dont think i could really say anything else other than how much i want this to be F2P

the rumour ingame is that it will be free to play using the micropayment system . if so it will beat most other free to play games hands down .  one thing i think needs looking at is the looting system in instances at the moment its a free for all grab it as quickly as you can . if does become free to play its  d an ideal game to play on the side of your pay to play mmo . if it becomes pay yo play it will lose out to the likes of conan and warhammer .

• draguleadragulea Member Posts: 249

The game will be free. This is the official info taken directly from the Requiem Forums:

Is the game free to play?

• The game is essentially free to play.
      • A subscription fee for premium services will be available in the future live release of the game; however, paying for premium services is not mandatory.
      • An item mall will be available for users to purchase equipment in the future.
  • ChinaCatChinaCat Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by atziluth

Good write up, and nice to see a person that is actually playing the game past 5, make comments.

My highest level is 14, but I have three other 11's.    This game definately has the "Fun Factor", and the PvP we see now is only a small part of what is planned for the release.

-CC

"Lately it occurs to me,
    what a long, strange trip it's been". -Hunter

Originally posted by yayitsandy

the rumour ingame is that it will be free to play using the micropayment system . if so it will beat most other free to play games hands down .  one thing i think needs looking at is the looting system in instances at the moment its a free for all grab it as quickly as you can . if does become free to play its  d an ideal game to play on the side of your pay to play mmo . if it becomes pay yo play it will lose out to the likes of conan and warhammer .
    no, its on a system. the look goes through a cycle although anyone can pick it up. for example: say a shield drops and i pick it up. if youre next on the cycle you still get it even though i picked it up.

thats how it goes unless the leader changes it.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Just thought I'd add that the PvP, while very Guild Wars -like, is relatively fun and does give points towards items which are useful.  PvPing can definitely save you some serious cash, but often joining a match solo throws you in on the losing team and you get nothing for your time.  You just have to get lucky and time it right for a good team, or get in a guild that pvps in groups.

• DystopiaBoyDystopiaBoy Member Posts: 222

I'm in the WAR Online beta as well, and to tell you the truth I'm having more fun with this game. I like the whole dark concept, even though I haven't experienced past level 8 yet. Can't wait for actually character classes, pvp, and DNA stuff. I hope they keep it free to play.

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

I loathe F2p grindfests, but this one is ok.  Made it to lvl 12 pretty effortlessly, unlike alot of the other grinders that just plop you in totally clueless and you have to feel your way around. 

The quests are your avg "kill x" mobs variety, but you can bang out a few in the same area and be done with it.

The horror element was what attracted me in the first place but it seems a little gimmicky. To set it apart from the other anime-style cutefests, the mobs do seem a little twisted.  The creature design is fairly average with the occasional weirdo mutant thingee thrown in.  It is satisfying however to see critters just blown apart by a critical, with bits flying all over.  Other than the creature design, there isn't too much "horrorific" about it.

All in all, with my limited exposure to grindfests, Requiem looks like it'll be fun from time to time.  Certainly not a main game, but a nice timewaster while watching the news or something where you can smack things around for a spot.

• SavilzSavilz Member UncommonPosts: 53

anyone have a spare key for me ?

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Player-X

Played it all last night and most of today/night...
    ....not that impressed ..... When I got tired of grinding/pointless quests I tried the battlegrounds and wasnt impressed either. It just felt retarded.
    Too many stupid people in general may have put a downer on me?? i don't know. I felt the hook went with it and lost it? 

err, you talking about WoW ?