Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

20 minutes in I turned off Local Chat

Such a shame.  I've always enjoyed games with mature(r) communities.  This doesn't appear to be one of those so far.   20 minutes into my first play session, I shut off the local chat channel so I didn't have to read the refuse.  You know it is going to be bad when the first thing you type, "Good evening *smile*" is immediately followed by "People who type out their actions are lame. *jerks off*". 

Comments

• Amon_AmarthAmon_Amarth Member Posts: 219

Yikes. Yeah that is a very bad sign if that was the first comment you got after simply saying hello. Perhaps maybe just one bad experience and hopefully when the game is released the community will grow or change to more mature players. But who knows. I dont know much about this game butin my opinion it seems like the type of MMO which will attract MANY young kids and the like. Just because it's a little more violent wont turn kids away and will probably attract more. Anyway hope your experiences change in the future and hoping the game turns out great. :)

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Can't say I'm surprised mate... Play for Free mmorpg's are a sesspool for the immature kiddies who can't afford your average MMORPG.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• SirspongySirspongy Member Posts: 66

MMOG general chat, for the last few years, has been 70% immature children, regardless of the MMOG. If you know of a MMOG with great gameplay and a mature, and respectful community please e-mail me the name of it. I miss the days when general chat was not full of nit wits spouting stupid things left and right.

• anonymousseanonymousse Member Posts: 61

To be fair, you're only asking to be targeted by idiots if you go around typing stuff like "*smile*"

What did you expect?

• marion242marion242 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Just got done with a 3 hour play session. The worst thing in chat was a couple complaining about all the chat, wanting people to take it to private messages. Which is laughable since there were like 10 or 15 people actively chatting about a couple subjects. So from my experience so far its been pretty good, I think you just got unlucky.

• Punkins1234Punkins1234 Member Posts: 17

Global chat is open for all atm.. after Close Beta will be a privilege for premium accounts only.

• SirspongySirspongy Member Posts: 66

That does not sound realistic. If they really want the game to fail they will do this. From what I understand it will have an item store so I am not sure how you would become a "premium" member. Buy one item and you are a premium member? Does not sound realistic.

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

I prefer games with no "general chat"....

Better to have local chat and PM's only hehe.

That way people actually have to meet to banther in public

imageThe last of the Trackers

• ImmercenaryImmercenary Member Posts: 55

thats weird because last night i was playing it for 2 hours and not one comment was made in gen chat,thats as in no-one was talking at all it was like a  graveyard!,i even made a comment about it in gen chat and not one person replied :(

• Player-XPlayer-X Member Posts: 83

I did notice people giving abuse to others about using general for their Graphics card conversation, but to be honest I didnt want to here 4 or 5 peoples  detailed description of their comps innards either.

I found general/world chat to be ok other than that, it was funny to hear people talking about that crazy Reindeer! I'm looking forward to logging in in a min. I was quite drunk last night and couldnt really do my quests Hah!

Those that said you were stupid/whatever for the *Smile* are just looking for people to piss off imho......

• forthelulzforthelulz Member Posts: 215

i can't belive you played this.... thing....for 20 minutes.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Sirspongy

MMOG general chat, for the last few years, has been 70% immature children, regardless of the MMOG. If you know of a MMOG with great gameplay and a mature, and respectful community please e-mail me the name of it. I miss the days when general chat was not full of nit wits spouting stupid things left and right.

I play LOTRO currently on the Landroval server and there have only been few instances where the chat was some sort of bs... and generally people are quick to shut down others who are intentionally being morons.  Most people have always been mature, friendly and helpful.  Not trying to sell LOTRO here or anything but it's the best community in an MMORPG I've ever known thus far.  Lots of casual role players on Landroval too.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• DobryDobry Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by dhuberma

Such a shame.  I've always enjoyed games with mature(r) communities.  This doesn't appear to be one of those so far.   20 minutes into my first play session, I shut off the local chat channel so I didn't have to read the refuse.  You know it is going to be bad when the first thing you type, "Good evening *smile*" is immediately followed by "People who type out their actions are lame. *jerks off*". 

Yep, I have to agree... maturity is definitely non-existent in general chat... uber-1337-speak everywhere, and lots of abuse.  In comparison, WoW's launch would have made the late William F. Buckley proud!    ;)

I like the game so far, though... simplistic mechanics, but fun. 

Anyway, I'm sure that many of the players are WELL-under 17.

Pasha Dobry- 39 Engy in the un-official, un-uber-1337 TR clan, Ad Idem.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Unfortunately, having a mature ESRB rating doesn't mean a mature community.  Actually, it generally seems to mean quite the opposite.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Signe

Unfortunately, having a mature ESRB rating doesn't mean a mature community.  Actually, it generally seems to mean quite the opposite.

Which I'm sure hoping AOC doesn't fall prey to.  But this game is free to play right now, and you can tell there's folks that really shouldn't be there (like the character I saw named Fartblaster)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mahierl2005mahierl2005 Member UncommonPosts: 94

I played only when it was Fileplanet only, a few days before everyone else got beta kays. During that time, I would say my experience was the exact OPPOSITE of yours. However a few days latrwer, MMORPG and MMOWORLD or whatever the other site was, got a crap ton of beta accounts to give out, and well, we know what type of community most of tehse boards are made of....

Glad I got out while I could! Not nearly enough depth in the game for me. A nice game overall though.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I played via Fileplanet, too, and it really was better at the start of beta.  Luckily the chat font is so tiny at my resolution that it's easy to ignore.  I really would like to check out the features they list but I'm not sure I'll last.  I haven't found a game recently that's been able to keep my interest, anyway.  Either they're all crappy or I'm getting fickle in my old age!

Kyleran is right, though.  All of the free games I've tried have had pretty dreadful communities.  Most of the games I stick with for a while I play with people I've been in a guild with for years.  When I play games they don't, I try to find a decent guild and then I primarily use the guild chat.  With free games, I almost never find a guild I want to stick with. 

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

"Mature F2P" is definitely an oxymoron. 

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

After 20 min I wasnt paying attention to chat. I was more paying attention to how crappy the game is right now. From its preformance, to controlls, to skills, to grind......bah. This game has potential but it has ALOT of work. After roughly 3 and a half hours of play I'm level 9 and a half and you cant even really select your class untill level 10?!  Also things like a mob 2-3 levels lower than me kicking my ass? I am going to finish getting to 10 tonight and get a few levels of whatever class I take and see if things seem to get alittle better. There is a list of about 20 bugs I have written down and when I am not even to the actual classes yet thats not good. I will go through the bug reports on the forums and post what hasnt been said after I end my play session tonight.

I would love a good horror MMO and this has potential but if it doesnt get much better after you get a class, I will probably just post the bugs I found, post some suggestions and move on. Right now I would suggest not spending your time with this game unelss your actually playing it to test.