Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bulletpoints info please

AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

- Character creation, classes?  Skills?  None?

- Progression?  Levels?  Skills per level?  Skills per training?

- Gear?  Is it important (not an opinion here, stats/ability-wise, does it confer a bonus?)

- PvE?

- PvP?

- PvE is free of PvP in every possible conceivable way?

- Servers?  Different rulesets?

- Solo?

- Group?

- Raid?

- Planned expansions?

- Other point(s) that may be important to some and that I may have forfotten.

And so on.  Don't be a PR, give us brutal info please.  FACTS about the game.  Gimme a fast view, so I know, fast, it I am interested...or not.  Getting rid of me asap if the game is not appealing for me is good for you, for your other games and for the industry in general...or making me drool cause I am interested is also very important.

You have 84530448 other posts to be a good PR.  Give us brutal info please.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Comments

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

I understand your desire for quick facts, but there are also realities that you may not  be considering.  Here are two: we are fairly early in development, and so some of these things will change over time, and we don't necessarily want to tip our hand to other developers about certain aspects of an innovative new game concept.

Having said that, I'll try to answer some of your questions anyway, as best as I am allowed.

Players can follow many character class 'suggestions', but in the end, they create their own character class based on the Abilities and Training they complete.  There are no level caps.

Character creation, well, that one I have to keep somewhat secret, just know you will get into the game VERY quickly, we won't make you choose important things before you understand how they will effect your character in the game.  You will, however, get to create the 'look' of your characters's body and choose a name.

Abilities come from Five Leagues, and you can mix and match any way you want, but there are advantages and strategies in what you take in combination from various leagues, again, not something I'm at liberty to say more about.

Improving those abilities comes from study, which means applying 'study tokens' earned when you level up and also from practice.  Using abilities will help increase your proficiency.   There are no real caps on improving abilities.

There are two types of  'leveling' in the game, Grim and Radiant.   These each go up in different ways, therefore you may level up in Grim, but not in Radiant.  These each have seperate Abilities to gain and improve.  You get multiple skill points per level to distribute.

Abilities are not handed out when you go up a level, you decide what ability you want to get, and go quest for it.  When you have it you improve it by applying more study points or practicing the ability in action.  In other words, we don't want anyone to say, "I went up to level 30 and I got a rock".   You get what you want, and improve it the amount  you want.

As for Gear, it is very important.  You build your own special sets of gear, paid for with blood and adventuring to add it to your personal set.  All gear can be improved in MANY ways.  You decide what and how to make it better, and when to move onto something with more potential.  There are aspects of this system that are new and I can't go into how all of it works at this time.

This game is based on the extremely robust quest system; therefore player vs. environment is crucial to the game play.  We're taking this to a level that we have not seen in any other MMO game.  Frankly, we were bored silly with the simplistic and 'grocery list' style quests in MMO games, which is one reason we developed this game in the first place.    PvE areas are always free of PVP, completely.

We offer a Coliseum where players can fight players, challenging them to single or group duels.  Players can even bet on the duel, and spectators can also wager on the outcome. 

When it comes to servers, we are not going down the standard path.  We plan to let Players move between servers whenever they wish, you don't even pick a server to start  the game.  Therefore, there are no seperate rulesets planned.

We take solo play very seriously, there are no adventures that you can't play solo.  This does not mean to say that grouping up has no benefit, there are strategies that you can only use in a group situation.  However, we never force you to group to play.

At this time we're considering the idea of raids, but have not yet decided if we will offer them due to the nature of our quest driven game and other technological considerations.

The game is somewhat unique in that there is an eventual  grand climax to the epic story you are experiencing.  However, we plan expansions that add whole new epic story lines to experience, continuing your character's advancement.  Think of this as a big fantasy novel series, in which you are one of the main characters, you will reach the climax of the story eventually, but there is always the sequel.

These are the facts that I'm allowed to share at this time.  More will come as development progresses.  I hope this answers your immediate questions.

• dafuzzledafuzzle Member Posts: 160

Sounds very interesting, now your making me eager to find out what all these unique systems your talking about, though from what i gathered your leveling system is some what like The Elder Scrolls of Oblivion?  Correct me if i'm wrong because i don't really know.

Originally posted by dafuzzle

Sounds very interesting, now your making me eager to find out what all these unique systems your talking about, though from what i gathered your leveling system is some what like The Elder Scrolls of Oblivion?  Correct me if i'm wrong because i don't really know.

No, not like Oblivion.  I really don't know of a system that is very much like ours.  However, we didn't make it different just to be different, the leveling system in Citadel of Sorcery ties into the entire mythos of the world and into everything from how you fight to how equipment works.  it's a very different concept, but one that I am not able to reveal too much about right now.  It is too important to the game to release yet.  Sorry.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

No FFA PVP and jumping between servers meaning you can never have anyone that you want to run around with or want to go find  and PVP. Not to sure if this sounds fun. Would have to server hop just to find your friends.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• mahierl2005mahierl2005 Member UncommonPosts: 94

If nothing else, it does soun a bit unique. I'll be awaiting threads pertaining to the progress your making. GL.

Originally posted by Bruise187

No FFA PVP and jumping between servers meaning you can never have anyone that you want to run around with or want to go find  and PVP. Not to sure if this sounds fun. Would have to server hop just to find your friends.
    Give us a little credit... you will automatically arrive on servers where the majority of  your friends (list) and guild members are located.  The only time you have to swtich servers (which is easy anyway) is if you WANT to leave the buik of your friends. 

In exchange, we don't have people who join the wrong server when they sign up for the game and then can't join their friends (or have to jump through hoops to do so).  Everyone can go play with any player they wish to, they aren't locked into one server.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Thanks for all the info.  It was massive. :)  Maybe not as much as I would have wanted, but massive.  And I am allergic to raiding, so I am kinda afraid.  Burnt cat here. :P  But I can say that for now, you have aroused my interest.  Everything sound fun (except for my paranoia against raiding not been appeased totally).

Sound like Rolemaster without classes, the need to quest for your ability to raise, the option to raise them by practice, and key "bonuses" to select later on, as you advance in the game.  :P

Instancing?

Originally posted by Anofalye

Instancing?
    A nice one word question... yet the answer is so important to understanding Citadel of Sorcery. 

'Yes', is my one word answer. 

However, I will add that we take instancing to epic proportions, with whole Reflected Worlds for you and your party to enter and partake in grand adventures.  When you want, return to massive multiplayer areas... or continue to adventure in peace with your friends in a truely massive instanced world.  The choice is up  to you.

Sweet.

I am definitely interested to learn more about your game!  :)  Still afraid at raiding however.  But everything else sound fun. :)

• Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

Sounds very new and awesome

• sonicsixsonicsix Member UncommonPosts: 66

This is the first game I have been excited about in a very long time.  The fact that there is no PvP other than the coliseum is a HUGE plus for the game.  I've been online since 1983, back when it was still called ARPANET and not "internet", back when black text on a gray background was your only option...and have played more games than you can imagine so my experience is significant.

An evolving world sounds fantastic but hopefully we will be able to evolve, enhance and improve our characters along the way as well.  Being able to do so brings the "attachment" feeling to your character and makes you want to continue playing that much longer.

I'm eager to see your progress and certainly look forward to the beta process.