Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anything better than WoW out there?

Seriously? For a RPG such as World of Warcraft. Is there anything better? I've tried EQ & Guildwars. Both sucked.

I'm looking forward to WarONLINE, but it won't be out for another 3+ months. I'm getting a very good feeling I'm just wasting my time trying to find another game that can compare to WoW. I'm not playing it atm, as I'm taking a break.

I've a couple lvl 70s. One being a Epic Hunter that I thoroughly enjoy. People can rag on WoW all they want, but stats prove it, over 10 million paying/active subscriptions.

I'm not here to be a wow boy, simply wondering if there's another game, I can't find one.

Comments

• WakkazWakkaz Member Posts: 10

Unless you're already in EQ2, thats the only one thats currently out that can go against it imo.

Theres Warhammer and Conan, and apparently a new Final Fantasy mmorpg thats coming out which would be great to me.

Other than those, not really.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

Originally posted by Wakkaz

Unless you're already in EQ2, thats the only one thats currently out that can go against it imo.

Theres Warhammer and Conan, and apparently a new Final Fantasy mmorpg thats coming out which would be great to me.

Other than those, not really.
    Concerto gate you mean? It's not a Final Fantasy, but it is from Square, and it is turn based like FF.

Anyway.. when it comes down to it, you've got the big 3, WoW, EQ2, Eve. There's smaller stuff, and it's really up to what you're into.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

There aren't any games better, but there are plenty of good games different. And a few much the same.

For more of the same try Lord of The Rings.

For something different try Eve, Planetside and D&D online. City of Heroes is also excellent.

All of those have free trials to let you see if you appreciate the game worlds and playstyles.

I think the biggest barrier for starting a new MMO, is starting again at the beginning. With no friends. With no network of helpful people and playmates. Not having a toon that rules and generally having your previous 12 month game investment reset to zero.

Going back to those first few months spent floundering, when the last 6 months of MMO play has come to mean knowing what you are doing and having a a regular social circle. Any game is going to feel rubbish compared to that.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

I had so much fun with PlanetSide and often consider resubbing. But for some reason I just can't bring myself to do it. Its an awesome game and I wish they would come out with a Planetside 2.

I am currently playing Eve and loving it. If you can get part the very steep learning curve, then its an amazing game. It took me 3 times trying out the 14 day free trial to really understand how everything works and fall in love with the game.

I too am waiting for WAR to come out. I've been a huge fan of Mythic and DAoC was one of my favorite MMOs.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• Tidwell32Tidwell32 Member UncommonPosts: 36

As much as i despise WoW, i have to admit every other MMO falls short. For some dumb reason all the developers out there tried to copy everything about WoW and all failed miserably. It seems lately developers are discovering how many people are getting tired of the WoW like games and straying away from the boring combat and endless grinding. Games like Age of Conan and Darkfall should definately revolutionize the MMO industry and bring back the fans that have turned their backs on MMOs (like myself).

but again, as of now, all MMOs suck, ive tried every single free trial and wasted my money on a couple without trials.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I played MMORPG for a LONG time (started BEFORE UO/EQ with a pre-MMORPG called kingdom of drakkar). I have also tried many of the modern ones (Eve, Tabular Rasa, W of Kung Fu, EQ2, CoH/CoV, ....) and none is as much fun (for me) as WOW.

Luckily I haven't got to the endgame of WOW yet and once I do, I can still level up an alt (since I miss lots of content in mid-levels) and then I can wait for WOTLK. So I expect WOW is the game to entertain me for a while.

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Originally posted by Camman321

Seriously? For a RPG such as World of Warcraft. Is there anything better? I've tried EQ & Guildwars. Both sucked.
    I'm looking forward to WarONLINE, but it won't be out for another 3+ months. I'm getting a very good feeling I'm just wasting my time trying to find another game that can compare to WoW. I'm not playing it atm, as I'm taking a break.
    I've a couple lvl 70s. One being a Epic Hunter that I thoroughly enjoy. People can rag on WoW all they want, but stats prove it, over 10 million paying/active subscriptions.
    I'm not here to be a wow boy, simply wondering if there's another game, I can't find one.

I think there are better games, but none with a good enough population to warrant trying it instead of playing WoW. I think DAoC is still  a better game than Wow, however, because it has such a low population, it is hard to get into the game. Community and population size is part of the package of being a great MMO and there aren't any MMO's out there with a healthy community size. Those that do have a somewhat healthy population do not compare to WOW in quality and content, such as EQ2 and LoTRO.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

I suggest catching up on all the good single player games, or non-MMO online games, since you started playing WoW, as nothing really surpasses it atm.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• GravespinGravespin Member Posts: 66

I did quit WOW just before the first expansion, And havent found a game there was able to replace it.

CoV & LOTRO was the games there got me hooked for longest, if your just looking for a game to kill some time till WAR realeses, should you try the Free-Trials CoV and LOTRO got.

#LOTRO (Dankman 37 BUR)
    #COV (Bonefish 50 ice/rad)
    Tryed: SWG, Planetside, AA, EQ2, Rappelz, Matrix, DAoC, Ryzom.

Looking forward to:
    1: Planet Side 2
    2: Anarchy-Online 2

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

People can rag on WoW all they want, but stats prove it, over 10 million paying/active subscriptions.

All that stat proves is that there are 10 million people that are easily satisfied with simplistic MMO gaming.  I liked WOW for a while, but it falls short in the end just like any other game.

I'd give it up actually.  If you still like WOW this much, you're not going to be happy with any new games coming along like WAR or AOC.  (though LotRO might fit the bill)

Just roll a new alt or something.

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

Dont see AOC or WAR doing the trick.

Waiting for Aion more then any other game, hell even Jumpgate Evo might do it right.

• GravespinGravespin Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Trollstar

People can rag on WoW all they want, but stats prove it, over 10 million paying/active subscriptions.

All that stat proves is that there are 10 million people that are easily satisfied with simplistic MMO gaming.  I liked WOW for a while, but it falls short in the end just like any other game.

I'd give it up actually.  If you still like WOW this much, you're not going to be happy with any new games coming along like WAR or AOC.  (though LotRO might fit the bill)

Just roll a new alt or something.

If he still like WOW this much, will WAR be the perfect game for him

#LOTRO (Dankman 37 BUR)
    #COV (Bonefish 50 ice/rad)
    Tryed: SWG, Planetside, AA, EQ2, Rappelz, Matrix, DAoC, Ryzom.

Looking forward to:
    1: Planet Side 2
    2: Anarchy-Online 2

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

There's no way to answer this question without knowing what you're looking for.

I personally think LoTRO is better than WoW, but I'm a Tolkein fan and a relatively casual player.  You might not think so.

I've read that Eve is awesome, but it doesn't appeal to me because there are no avatars.

Planetside is a blast, but it gets repetitive, and there is little character development.

Lineage 2 has sezzy dark elves, but they run funny, and I heard there are tons of bots in the game and that it's a horrific grind.

I've also heard that Anarchy Online is great, and with the new graphics upgrade, looks really nice.   But with the FTP side of it, I've also heard it's full of jackasses.

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

I'd say check out Cabal online it's FTP and you might wanna try out Tabula Rasa as well.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Wait for the Lich King, by the time you finish that, bugs should be removed from Conan and WAR should also be out by then. Speculation ofcourse.

• 0803008030 Member Posts: 97

It all depends on what exactly it is that you want in a MMO, If you want to Role Play then stick to MMO's like EQ and FF, if it's a balanced mix of role play and pvp that you want then WoW and Guild wars are at the tops for that.

I myself prefer Lineage2, There is no role play community in that game any longer that I am aware of, so role players will be sadly dissapointed in trying it out.

The PvP however does rock, Try it out on a 14 day trial, the free trial restrictions kind of suck. But if you are used to them in wow then you can handle them in l2. My advice is to run around starter areas and try to pk everything in sight once you get to lvl 20. you can hit 20 + in 1 day. To pk in lineage2 just hold that control key and clik away. save your cash you will need it all if you decide to stick it out after your free trial is up.

For the old time L2 players who quit cause your server sucked, server transfers, name changes and so on are now a reality.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Better at what?

Better at easy, loot / raid grinding.  No

Better at casual fast past fun – CoX

Better at trade/strategy combat – PotBS

Better at small community / roleplay – most MUDs

It really depends what you are look for.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I stil think that number  is bullshit  10 million no other game even comes close to that. Maybe because a 5 year old can get the concept of the game as well as a old geezer cuz its so easy that s why they might have all those subs.

But I  say there are a lot of games better,  I liked LOTRO, DDO, AO, EQ2 better than WoW.  It was just to kiddie for me, I just played because my friends did. But I got bored and now in playing GW and AO.  If you truely want a new game wait for AoC cuz thats what im doing. War is just not my cup of tea since Im trying to stay away from anything that remotely looks or feels like Wow, like its the plague.

• OskyOsky Member Posts: 3

unless you are looking for PVP, I say give LOTRO a shot.  I was hesitant, but I'm amazed at how much fun I'm having.

• fingisfingis Member Posts: 207

I started out with WoW and I think there's always a 'first kiss' effect with your first MMO.

That said I tried a few others, LoTRO and EQ2.  Both fell short for me.  EQ2 seemed like a dying game and the way Sony kept shoveling gifts at me, it just reinforced that.  That and I rarely ran into another lowbee.

LoTRO was very restrictive.  In WoW I soloed that elite tiger in Stranglethorn, I burned through a dozen consumables and kited it for over five minutes.  It's a fight I'll always remember fondly.  In LoTRO, if you can't solo something you either level up or you get someone to help.  The LoTRO devs don't want you experimenting.

I am going to try WAR and AoC when they come out.

WoW is great but you can get burned out on anything given enough time.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

The "10 million sheep jumped so jumping off a cliff is the next best thing since slice bread" thing bugs me. Meh.

"Both sucked." Elaborate?

After trying out some MMO's out there, even wasting my darn earned money on some... I decided to stick to City of Heroes/Villains. If you're into the sugar coated graphics and extensive (emphasis on this bit) character customization.
    Grindy but 'fun'. It should hold me out til Aion comes out.

Edit:

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Luckily I haven't got to the endgame of WOW yet and once I do...

Please drag out reaching 70 as much as possible. No. Seriously. You'll enjoy it more.
  • Camman321Camman321 Member Posts: 68

I think I'm going to wait another month, then get back to WoW. Get my shammy to 70.

I've tried EQ. I didn't see anyone for hours. For a MMORPG, that's not appealing. GW however, I said sucked, but the more I think about it, the more it seems appealing. Especially considering there is no monthly fee, and all that crap.

• Camman321Camman321 Member Posts: 68

Actually, Dark Age of Camelot looks good as well. Will look it up also.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972
  • HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Interesting

WOW is still the best MMORPG overall.

And why is that?

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981