Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Career Overview: The Shadow Warrior

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

News Manager Keith Cross recently had the opportunity to speak with Adam Gershowitz, Associate Art Director on Warhammer Online about Shadow Warriors, elite warriors of the High Elves who walk the line between dark and light in their quest for vengeance against the enemies of Elfkind. Adam was also kind enough to send over specific information about the Shadow Warrior's specific abilities, strategic maneuvers, stances, and examples of what a few rounds of combat might look like.

During the age when the Elven Kingdom of Ulthuan was split by civil war, and the soil of Nagarythe was spattered with the blood of brothers for Malekith’s treasons, an elite line of warriors was born: the Shadow Warriors.

In the time of relative peace between the first chaos invasion, and the war which sundered the Elves into the High Elves loyal to the Phoenix King, and the Dark Elves who followed Malekith the Witch King, these warriors called Malekith’s homeland of Nagarythe their home. They agreed with Malekith’s view that the Elven people were growing soft and complacent, and that the elves needed to stay strong and warlike to face the growing threat of Chaos and destruction, but they disagreed with his policy of murdering the Phoenix King based on flimsy accusations and transparent desires for the throne. Armed with the warlike mindset and methods of the Dark Elves, and the sense of justice and morals of the High Elves, they took up arms against Malekith’s corruption. Since that time they have become the harsh justice of the High Elves, fighting the dirty fights which make others balk, taking vengeance on the enemies of elfkind, and walking a line in the moral shadows between dark and light.

Read more here.

Comments

• greenstumpsgreenstumps Member Posts: 250

So really he's a ranger.......

• munnmunn Member UncommonPosts: 27

That can backstab apparently

• KnightHawk63KnightHawk63 Member Posts: 75

Er............. /confused

Playing: Nada.
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, EVE, WoW, EQ2, SWG, STO
    Waiting: TOR

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

It's probably the class people will pick to PvP... and that everyone else will complain about.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Until it's over-nerfed and half the Shadow Warriors quit.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i'd like to see one brave enough to take on a black orc in melee

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• hades302hades302 Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Romse

It's probably the class people will pick to PvP... and that everyone else will complain about.

Warhammer is designed around PvP, it's not a PvE game with PvP being slapped on at the end of developement like so many others.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Seems like one of the strangest careers so far. It could either be one of the funniest and most challenging classes or it could be one hell of a bad class. Hopefully this will be balanced, because then this seems quite sweet.

• Cotillion99Cotillion99 Member UncommonPosts: 251

from what i understand its a good ranged option that can move and shoot- which is nice.  However they have to get to mid range to use a lot of their anti spell caster options (interrupts etc.)   Sounds interesting since they have to adjust a lot more than a pure caster. 

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

Can't friggen wait for this game.......!

• aristoculousaristoculous Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by Cotillion99

from what i understand its a good ranged option that can move and shoot- which is nice.  However they have to get to mid range to use a lot of their anti spell caster options (interrupts etc.)   Sounds interesting since they have to adjust a lot more than a pure caster. 
      I liked that as well, move&shoot approach.

I gotta say in past 2 interviews, one about RvR description and this makes me want to try the game.

• donoakdonoak Member UncommonPosts: 37

Hmmm I wonder how their sniping range compares with a wizards spell range?

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

My question is do they have to stand still to shoot their bows or they can move and shoot at the same time like hunters in WoW ? If it's the latter it will make one hell of an overpowered class since they're effective at all ranges without any weaknesses.

• judgebeojudgebeo Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by liddokun

My question is do they have to stand still to shoot their bows or they can move and shoot at the same time like hunters in WoW ? If it's the latter it will make one hell of an overpowered class since they're effective at all ranges without any weaknesses.

Dunno, but taking a look to the skills seems that they will be able to move... for ex: the assault combo he is closing to target while shooting.

• UploadUpload Member Posts: 679

Broad Head Arrow is a Guild Wars elite skill

• FeefaitFeefait Member Posts: 7

I've definetly been interested in this game for a while but this is the first time I've read an overview that makes me think it might work as I hoped. This class does look awesome. It assuages some of my concerns that the combat would be too static a la a certain leading MMO. For me that is what wa sputting AoC over War, but with the combos and stances taking form they are going back to a more equal footing in my interest. I just wish we could play Skaven dammit....

• Cotillion99Cotillion99 Member UncommonPosts: 251

I am not an expert on the info coming out but i have no idea how you came to that conclusion.  They blatantly say he's not a very effective melee fighter.  He would get owned at range by a caster because he wouldn't be able to use his interrupts.  (unless he used the terrain/units well to get out of line of sight)  He's probably going to have to change his style based on who he's fighting.  

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

They do both depending on the combat stance

If they try to distance fight against some casters without any sort of back up like a shielded tank standing infront of them for cover they'll probably get blown away.

If they try and fight a heavy armored class toe to toe in melee combat with their light leathers & scale mail on they'll get squished.

If they use a combination of up close combat fighting & moving mid ranged attacks with a caster or stationary & moving ranged attacks with a tank they'll have a far better chance of survival IMO.

It sounds as if the Shadow Warrior is basically a combination class, meaning you pretty much can't use this class a zerger or a mindless class like WoW hunters.  Honestly though he sounds way cooler than a hunter and he doesn't need a pet to back him up.

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I wish they would have made a Druchii shade class similar to this...it sounds awesome, but I'll be playing chaos.

D.

• birkassbirkass Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Godliest

Seems like one of the strangest careers so far. It could either be one of the funniest and most challenging classes or it could be one hell of a bad class. Hopefully this will be balanced, because then this seems quite sweet.

Agree :)