Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: State of the Game: February 2008

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Age of Conan Game Director Gaute Godager recently wrote an article describing the current state of the game of AoC. He elaborates on his role in the game's development, and he describes the reasons behind the recently announced release date push back, the melding of certain classes, and other changes that have occurred throughout Age of Conan's development.

I know that all of you are anxious to learn more about what's up with Age of Conan, especially after our recent announcement. I will use this opportunity to try to, in a rather detailed manner, go through the very essence of the game – what we have accomplished, what we have changed, where we stand, and also touch on the great future ahead.

As all of you know we are deep in Beta at the moment, and so far way more than ten thousand people have been invited. Naturally not all people are playing all the time (reminder from me: check your email;), but we have some really awesome testers, hacking away at our systems and design. As you all also know we have been in various stages of beta for a long time, but it's over the last months we have really been able to get the feedback we need.

Let me take side-step here to tell you a bit how we look at various aspects of the game. You probably don’t know this, there are more than 500 or so code-features that we have in the game. Each of these features are tracked with a status description defined by QA, beta testers, the core team etc. They also have a level of importance. We do this for all the content as well, every region/zone, monster, mesh and item. We do this to try to make sure nothing slips through the cracks – that everything gets enough testing, polish and rework. We, as most developers, call each round of creation, testing and polish “iterations”. The higher the iteration count, the better the result.

Read the full article here.

Comments

• podey89podey89 Member Posts: 16

Can't say I was surprised about these dropped features. But I will say that the way he has articulated his words, it hasn't done anything to the game but help it and ensure that the fun factor and its ultimate goal make a solid game come release.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Wow, this sounds good.  I can't wait to give this game a try.  This guy really seems to have the best interests of the players and the MMO at heart.  He's a business guy who doesn't make it sound like it's just business. 

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

Very nice read. It's good to see developers caring about the community, and passing along great information!

• BonzarBonzar Member Posts: 176

The first MMORPG I got into (after the new wave) was AO. They really turned that ship around and made it into an engaging, fun, exciting game. I especially loved their test server. Now I see Funcom doing the same thing with AoC before the game goes out the door. Finally, a developer who listens, and listens well, to the player-base and learns from their mistakes. I can only imagine how good SWG would be now if Smedley had flown to Norway for a few months and interned at Funcom.

I'm glad that the Lich/Necro merge was made. I would rather play a game where two Necromancers can be vastly different in skills and appearance than in a game where every Necro and every Lich acts the same. When the first mergers took place long ago I was disappointed, but after hearing what they had to say and realizing that they were creating a problem by trying to increase the roster list, I couldn't be happier that we're down to 3 classes per archetype. If you need 24 classes to feel different, there's always WAR. I'll stick with Conan though.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Thanks for a great article. 

I really hope this game is great, and it sounds like they are working hard to make it so. 

The mmo community needs a smash hit.  My most anticipated MMO's of 2008 in order of anticipation are the following:

1) AOC : dismemberment, blood, and boobs...right on!!!  Player cities, pvp, fighting on horseback, riding a freakin' rhino into battle, and I read all the original Conan books back in my college days.  Oh yeah....

2) Warhammer Online :  never played any of their games, but from videos I recently saw looks intriguing.  Wish the british guy would shut up though; he was fun at first but now he's just damned irritating. 

3) Spellborn: some innovative ideas in a genre that has gone all cookie cutter on our arses.  Maybe the rookie that knocks the ball out of the park, ya never know.

I'm hoping all three will be good, and one of them will be a home run.  Irregardless, my Lotro account will be a constant as I locked in that $9.99 subscription rate: dang that's a great deal !

• Captjack001Captjack001 Member Posts: 96

I'm torn between War and AoC :( 

• MaselocMaseloc Member Posts: 175

Originally posted by Captjack001

Many are in the same situation, for most it will come down to which game is released first.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

If there's any title for 2008 that will bring this burned out and almost dead genre called mmorpg back it is "Age of Conan".

I've been following this game since their website was launched.

However I'm dead set against a few lucky bastards that got into beta. You know these types, they will be the ones running around acting they are superior to us because they got lucky, makes me sick.

Closed betas need to be abolished altogether. Either have an open beta or don't do one at all no in between.

Nonetheless I can't wait to get my hands on this game as I have given up hope on the mmorpg genre, maybe this title will capture my interest like some mmorpg's of the way past have.

• KalamisanosKalamisanos Member UncommonPosts: 5

[QUOTE]So what about the times ahead then? In one of the first postings I did several years ago I talked about what I think we have a proud tradition of doing in Funcom – have a dialogue with our players. We ask, you tell - we listen, you ask, we tell - you listen. In the post launch road this is what we will have the highest focus on – dialogue. An MMO is a joint venture.[/QUOTE]

That was the part I liked most.

I see you in me

• DavodDavod Member UncommonPosts: 44

Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

If there's any title for 2008 that will bring this burned out and almost dead genre called mmorpg back it is "Age of Conan".
    I've been following this game since their website was launched.
    However I'm dead set against a few lucky bastards that got into beta. You know these types, they will be the ones running around acting they are superior to us because they got lucky, makes me sick.
    Closed betas need to be abolished altogether. Either have an open beta or don't do one at all no in between.
    Nonetheless I can't wait to get my hands on this game as I have given up hope on the mmorpg genre, maybe this title will capture my interest like some mmorpg's of the way past have.

Who cares? The game is supposed to be fun, and after a month or two it wont matter if someone has more experience or not. It's about who is more dedicated to evolve in the game. I actully wont be signing up for the beta because I want to buy, explore and feel the final release of the game. To be overwhelmed by the wonderful world they have perfected with lesser bugs and a more enhanced environment. I want to get lost like a baby in a new world to come, and because of that I rather wait for a better product so I can have more thrilling experience.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

He refers to a "Tempest of Set" a few times.  I've been following the class merges and don't see that class.  Maybe it's the Druid of the Storm? Or maybe someone should update their site?

P.S. If anyone has a clue on how to get a European copy of the game for a geek in the US (or has seen a link that explains this), I'd be greatly appreciative. 

I just want to see the enhanced art...

• SinuousSinuous Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Captjack001

You wouldn't be if you had played them both.  There is no comparison.....AoC is the future of mmorpgs.

• PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154

Be aware that Gaute is a clinical psychologist - he's playing with your mind.

Some beta testers have been leaking info and spreading rumors. It looks like this game needs several more months of development before it's released.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

Interesting read,but it looks like deja-vu...Almost looks as if Brad's long posts a year ago explaining how fantastic the Vanguard team was and how thrilling it will be to crawl Trengal Keep.I`m still skeptical may be I need more time to become a believer.

PS>strange how VG has made many of us suspicious

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Originally posted by Ngeldu5t

Interesting read,but it looks like deja-vu...Almost looks as if Brad's long posts a year ago explaining how fantastic the Vanguard team was and how thrilling it will be to crawl Trengal Keep.I`m still skeptical may be I need more time to become a believer.

PS>strange how VG has made many of us suspicious
    I have to agree... it really does remind me of that stuff Brad was posting from his sinking ship.  I understand some of the feature removal, but I hate to see the prestige classes go away.  It was one of the depth adding features I was pretty excited about.  I can't imagine how more choices in character progression were somehow boxing people in and confusing them. I think it's much more likely something that was cut in an attempt to get the game out the door on time. 

I'll probably wait a few months after launch to see how it's going.  It seems like they are having to rush to launch, so I expect the game to be a little sloppy at launch.  maybe 6 or 8 months down the road they can get the features they were forced to cut patched back in to the game.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

I like how they have several branches of productions coming into the beta now and through april, after which all is polish. Stuff that has been in dev 6 months (new rendering example) as an example.

IMO there will only be one MMORPG in 2008: Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures

• ajm563ajm563 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Samhael

He refers to a "Tempest of Set" a few times.  I've been following the class merges and don't see that class.  Maybe it's the Druid of the Storm? Or maybe someone should update their site?

P.S. If anyone has a clue on how to get a European copy of the game for a geek in the US (or has seen a link that explains this), I'd be greatly appreciative. 
    I just want to see the enhanced art...

"Stormcaller and Scion of Set merged into the Tempest of Set".  I believe this means that Druid of the Storm and Scion of Set have been merged into the Tempest of Set.  Yes, their webpage needs to be updated.

• slide_k9slide_k9 Member UncommonPosts: 45

It looks and sounds great and I will be playing.

I just wish there were more classes.

slide

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

It's a tough choice to be sure....both games have a lot going for them, sadly I can only play one and that one will be  WAR,  The game just has more soul and to me and is more fun. Conan will I think have a big audiance as well.....I might even cave and play both at some point.

• DomiagoDomiago Member UncommonPosts: 37

I have also been an ardent follower of this game since it was announced. I know the developers are themselves serious and hardcore gamers. They have worked hard to make a game as much for themselves as for us. It would have been easy to keep the content they intended close to the vest and not reveal anything until Beta. Class changes and enhancements are inevitable and should really come as no surprise to anyone. Those that have thumbed their noses at this move by the developers are really being too sensative. They should be on their knees thanking the heavens this didn't happen after release. Especially for these sensative gamers with suicidal tendancies. I personally applaude the efforts made and although I too am chompimg at the bit to play, I can wait a little more for the final coats of varnish to dry. I anticipate the wait will be well worth it. And by Kromm it better be...

• MacaveloMacavelo Member Posts: 8

I been following this game for a while.  I hope will turn ok, with the new combat settings and all.  It will take some polish afther the games come out ,  maybe a few months.  I hope it will have that old good fealling , like when EQ came out for the first time. 

• chrimwinsterchrimwinster Member Posts: 45

Ability to Solo to level 80 does it for me )  - not that I never group but LOTRO was not for soloing if u wanted to do the main story book quest

As for WAR a big downer is the Wow like cartoony graphics and too much pvp could get tedious

Regards

Chrimwinster

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

The more I read about AOC the more I like it.  All the videos on the AOC site reinforce this feeling (if you have not seen them WHY NOT?      http://www.ageofconan.com/

I applied for the beta months ago but no luck yet 

Roll on May

I have taken a look at WAR.  For some reason that just does not grab me at this point. 

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• NydornaNydorna Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Sinuous
    Originally posted by Captjack001 I'm torn between War and AoC :(
    You wouldn't be if you had played them both. There is no comparison.....AoC is the future of mmorpgs.

If AoC is the future of MMORPGs, I guess I can take my shades off.
  • StormblaestStormblaest Member Posts: 12

mmmmm, i love the smell of anarchy online in the morning... Seems to me like the real thing will be delivered, real engaging play with all the great elements from AO, only in a new setting and tech. + totaly polished.

I just cant wait anymore...

Played or Playing: Anarchy Online, Guild Wars, Age of Conan, Everquest II, City of Heroes, City of Villains, ArchLord, Dungeon Runners, Silkroad Online and loads of not worth mentioning F2P mmos ]