Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great PR Idea for WoW to support our troops!!!

SolaseSolase Member Posts: 24

Currently, I'm working overseas for our country and we have limited access back to the states in various areas.  Many troops are pushing for more Internet access and bandwith here, but even if they max'd out on bandwith it would not be enough to overcome the lag for us to hit servers back in the states.  Now, I don't know if WoW could make it profitable given the fact we actually do put a lot of hours in overhere (think of working 2 fulltime jobs with no days off), but if Blizzard was to contact the USO and investigate the possibility of setting up a WoW USO server here, I think the publicity alone would be such a great marketing tool!

Think about it, the first company to offer MMO services to military serving abroad!  Now that would be cool!  And they could even provide military personnel free character move services to and from the server.  Anyhow, just a though, but I think it would be awesome!!!

Comments

• Irish_RedIrish_Red Member Posts: 114

Got my vote.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Providing too actively services to military wouldn't be a good idea. Currently WoW and Blizzard are considered to be politically quite neutral, working too actively to aid US soldiers would be considered by many as supporting the war. They wouldn't be neutral any more.

But maybe they could arrange character transfers for servers from one region to another for soldiers serving abroad. They have servers in NA, EU and Asia, one of them is bound to be close enough that you wouldn't experience too much lag while playing.

• SolaseSolase Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Vrika

Providing too actively services to military wouldn't be a good idea. Currently WoW and Blizzard are considered to be politically quite neutral, working too actively to aid US soldiers would be considered by many as supporting the war. They wouldn't be neutral any more.

But maybe they could arrange character transfers for servers from one region to another for soldiers serving abroad. They have servers in NA, EU and Asia, one of them is bound to be close enough that you wouldn't experience too much lag while playing.
    This kind of talk really is upsetting.  Regardless of whether you are for the war or against, making such comments and decisions I would be considered on the same playing field as being racist or sexist.  We put our lives on the line each and everyday so people can have freedom.  We are the ones who stand up and fight for freedom and know what it is to live in environments without such freedom.  This would NOT be an act to support or condemn the war.  It would be an act to support the troops that serve each and everyday!

I hear many of stories of soldiers returning home and being laid off, fired, etc.. for unjust reasons because employers fear they will have to hold a position for them or those who politically oppose the war.  It's really sad that people treat our soldiers like leapors and I see many troops compare such treatment as those Vietnam vets that returned from war.  We are the country that should be setting the standard for freedom and democracy so others around the word can aspire to have it for themselves.  When you treat the very people that serve our nation as such, you are fowling what are nation stands for.

So please, put aside the so-called "neutral" aspect.  We don't create wars; we serve our country.  If you have an issue with us being over here, take that to your politicians and leave us out of it.  We're here to do our job and we do it quite well thank you!

By the way,  Your Welcome for the freedom you enjoy.

Peace.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

What "our" country are you talking about? What "our" troops?

Get a perspective man.

• WikkedbowtieWikkedbowtie Member Posts: 494
    Originally posted by markoraos

What "our" country are you talking about? What "our" troops?
    Get a perspective man.

What country are you in Makoraos?

Croatia. One of the many countries in the world.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

OP mentioned "back in the states" so he/she's obviously American.

Don't troll.

Despite what Fox news tells the world, it IS indeed possible to support the troops but NOT support the war.

It just creates a precedant that no company would attempt to follow.

If they put a server for U.S. military personal serving in the Middle East, they'd need servers where European soldiers are serving, Chinease soldiers.. etc.

Blizzard/Vivendi is a global company.

It's not about "staying neutral" at all, it's about providing the same services to all of their subscribers world wide.

Didn't mean to troll but, tho I have all the sympathy in the world for soldiers thrust into that cesspool, this would be seen globally and probably within the US as well as a political move by a multinational company (and predominantly French, if you didn't know already )

If some kind of PR is needed then Bliz/Vivendi would do much better to donate some PCs and broadband connectivity to Iraqi children. THEN they could give perks to US troops there with a straight face.

Just imagine how this would look: A country in a state of perpetual collapse, the most educated middle eastern country basically thrown back into the middle ages. There is a whole generation in the country with the oldest civilization in the world left without education and what does Blizzard care about? Soldiers predominantly seen as occupiers being given perks in a fantasy game with trolls and elves... Bad, bad, bad taste imo.

Despite what Heeroboya tells, it is not possible to support the troops waging war without supporting the war itself. Every attempt to make the soldiers waging war to feel more comfortable, or to be more happy, does help those soldiers to fight the war. And if one is helping, in any way, to fight the war, then that means he is supporting the war. None who helps with the war is innocent.

This is only what I feel, and I understand that there are many who disagree with me. I also understand that no matter how much we'd talk, we wouldn't reach any concensus about this.

I'd just hope the OP would understand, that while he may think that their troops are doing good things, not everyone thinks so. I personally think that US troops have nothing at all to do with protecting freedom or democrasy of the world, they are only protecting interests and freedom of USA. While doing things like getting thousands of Iraqis killed in their fight caused by USA's interference to their internal affairs.

And unless the OP can prove that his opinion is better than mine, then he'd have to admit that there's a chance that he's wrong and I'm right.

• WoWownsallWoWownsall Member Posts: 17

Personally, I agree to the war over there, cause it's better the terrorists are fighting over there than over here, because they won't up and nuke a city full of their own people, but they will nuke New York or Washington given the chance. Besides the point. I am in full support of you boys over there risking your own hides for people you don't know, but it don't think Blizzard should give you all a new server and transfers etc. For one, even if Blizzard is neutral, just helping you boys out, it will be seen by how many million idiots as "Blizzard is for the war, they are a bunch of warmongers, I dont' want to/don't want my children playing that game if that's who's behind it". Then there will be the angry mothers petitioning and protesting against it. Sure, you boys will be happy, some people would like blizzard, but it would be a shot in the foot. Secondly, how fair is it that children of a country with such rich culture and heritage as Iraq have no education or computers for electricity, when the soldiers giving aid can play computer games. Lastly, if it hits the news "Soldiers can now play world of warcraft overseas" then you'll get people thinking "What the hell did we send troops for it they are just gonna play video games. That's just my opinion.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

One problem with this idea is that the infrastructure to support it (power, net connectivity) is problematic in an ongoing violently opposed occupation area.

Just in the last week several key undersea cables that provide net connection to the Middle East have been cut.

So bandwidth is probably at a premium.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Originally posted by Solase

This kind of talk really is upsetting.  Regardless of whether you are for the war or against, making such comments and decisions I would be considered on the same playing field as being racist or sexist.

This has got to be the most overblown response I've seen in ages.

What he said was perfectly reasonable and logical yet somehow you manage to pull out a racist/sexual complaint out of it?

You seem to have a very strong dislike of people who don't share your opinion. How about being more open towards other people and their point of view?

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Well.. better play WOW than go around the world killing people. Your got my vote.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

There is a difference between supporting the troops and supporting the war...

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Solase

Currently, I'm working overseas for our country and we have limited access back to the states in various areas.  Many troops are pushing for more Internet access and bandwith here, but even if they max'd out on bandwith it would not be enough to overcome the lag for us to hit servers back in the states.  Now, I don't know if WoW could make it profitable given the fact we actually do put a lot of hours in overhere (think of working 2 fulltime jobs with no days off), but if Blizzard was to contact the USO and investigate the possibility of setting up a WoW USO server here, I think the publicity alone would be such a great marketing tool!
    Think about it, the first company to offer MMO services to military serving abroad!  Now that would be cool!  And they could even provide military personnel free character move services to and from the server.  Anyhow, just a though, but I think it would be awesome!!!

Someone is thinking, great way to boost PR and future sales..

• Irish_RedIrish_Red Member Posts: 114

Despite what Heeroboya tells, it is not possible to support the troops waging war without supporting the war itself. Every attempt to make the soldiers waging war to feel more comfortable, or to be more happy, does help those soldiers to fight the war. And if one is helping, in any way, to fight the war, then that means he is supporting the war. None who helps with the war is innocent.

This is only what I feel, and I understand that there are many who disagree with me. I also understand that no matter how much we'd talk, we wouldn't reach any concensus about this.

I'd just hope the OP would understand, that while he may think that their troops are doing good things, not everyone thinks so. I personally think that US troops have nothing at all to do with protecting freedom or democrasy of the world, they are only protecting interests and freedom of USA. While doing things like getting thousands of Iraqians killed in their fight caused by USA's interference to their internal affairs.

And unless the OP can prove that his opinion is better than mine, then he'd have to admit that there's a chance that he's wrong and I'm right.

Being in the military is a job. They are only doing what they are being told to do. Period.

Don't tell me I can't support the troops without supporting the war. Unless you have some facts to back it up.

Like the OP mentioned, we have our "freedom" because of good men and women that have the balls to do what most of us don't.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a very big Bush hater. I want tax dollars spent on the USA, not some giant sand trap, but I still support the troops 100%. If you don't then I feel sorry for you.

Originally posted by Irish_Red

Being in the military is a job. They are only doing what they are being told to do. Period.

Don't tell me I can't support the troops without supporting the war. Unless you have some facts to back it up.

Like the OP mentioned, we have our "freedom" because of good men and women that have the balls to do what most of us don't.

I'm not blaming individual soldiers for the wars, as I think that the blame lies ultimately on goverment wich gives the soldiers orders. And the people who allow their government to do such a thing.

But I think, that if a company like Blizzard provides soldiers with entertainment like WoW, it increases the morale of the soldiers, and thus makes them more eager to fight the war. And if Blizzard makes soldiers more eager to fight in the war, then that means Blizzard is supporting the war.

I don't think that Blizzard should refuse to give the soldiers services, any more than I think they should refuse to give whole USA services, because of the war. I just think that they, nor anyone else, should do anything to specifically support the troops. I think that any such action is taking a side in the war, and any such action makes the one doing it a valid military target.

I don't except you to think as I do, but please, unless you can provide a proof that my logic is flawed, don't go telling me that I'm wrong.

And are you sure that you have your freedom because of US soldiers who are now abroad? I think that US soldiers who fought against Japan in WW2 are heroes who defended the freedom of USA. But so far the only thing caused by USA's war on Iraq has been that many Iraqis have lost their freedom to live peacefully, or their freedom to live at all. Or is "right to stay alive" not part of the definiton of that glorious freedom you are fighing for?

EDIT: Ofc if you support those USA troops who haven't been and won't be in a location where USA is or has recently been in a war, then you are supporting the troops but not the war. /EDIT

• vaizardvaizard Member Posts: 130

I'm not blaming individual soldiers for the wars, as I think that the blame lies ultimately on goverment wich gives the soldiers orders. And the people who allow their government to do such a thing.

But I think, that if a company like Blizzard provides soldiers with entertainment like WoW, it increases the morale of the soldiers, and thus makes them more eager to fight the war. And if Blizzard makes soldiers more eager to fight in the war, then that means Blizzard is supporting the war.

I don't think that Blizzard should refuse to give the soldiers services, any more than I think they should refuse to give whole USA services, because of the war. I just think that they, nor anyone else, should do anything to specifically support the troops. I think that any such action is taking a side in the war, and any such action makes the ones performing it a valid military target.

I don't except you to think as I do, but please, unless you can provide a proof that my logic is flawed, don't go telling me that I'm wrong.

And are you sure that you have your freedom because of US soldiers who are now abroad? I think that US soldiers who fight against Japan in WW2 are heroes who defended the freedom of USA. But so far the only thing caused by USA's war on Iraq has been that many Iraqians have lost their freedom to live peacefully, or their freedom to live at all. Or is "right to stay alive" not part of the definiton of that glorious freedom you are fighing for?

EDIT: Before I foget to mention, ofc if you support US troops only in locations where USA has not engaged in any war, then you are supporting the troops but not the war /EDIT

Im sorry what? They just want to play a damn game. It doesn't mean they are EAGERLY wanting to fight a war. No one in the right mind wants to eagerly fight a war. Especially American soldiers in Iraq, I doubt very much they support this war. Fighting a war which the government just sent them into. But much respect to the American soldiers that CONTINUALLY put their lives on the line even if the cause is a little fuzzy. Don't turn this into some dumb political debate. YOU WILL LOSE.

Originally posted by vaizard

Im sorry what? They just want to play a damn game. It doesn't mean they are EAGERLY wanting to fight a war. No one in the right mind wants to eagerly fight a war. Especially American soldiers in Iraq, I doubt very much they support this war. Fighting a war which the government just sent them into. But much respect to the American soldiers that CONTINUALLY put their lives on the line even if the cause is a little fuzzy. Don't turn this into some dumb political debate. YOU WILL LOSE.

If the soldiers have no entertainment at all when it's their freetime, and get bored, then they want more just to leave the war and go home.

Whereas if they are provided with something fun to do once in a while, they are a bit happier to be there, and won't be so eager to leave.

So, providing the troops with entertainment increases their morale. And I think that increasing the morale of the troops is supporting the war.

And I know I can't ever win this debate, because I belief that what each of us counts as "supporting the troops" is based on our own values and beliefs and is subjective. But, I don't think that you can win this either.

Or can you prove that providing entertainment to soldiers won't have any effect on their will to stay there and fight instead of just going home? Or can you prove that there is some other fault in my logic?

I don't think that Blizzard should refuse to give the soldiers services, any more than I think they should refuse to give whole USA services, because of the war. I just think that they, nor anyone else, should do anything to specifically support the troops. I think that any such action is taking a side in the war, and any such action makes the one doing it a valid military target.

And are you sure that you have your freedom because of US soldiers who are now abroad? I think that US soldiers who fought against Japan in WW2 are heroes who defended the freedom of USA. But so far the only thing caused by USA's war on Iraq has been that many Iraqians have lost their freedom to live peacefully, or their freedom to live at all. Or is "right to stay alive" not part of the definiton of that glorious freedom you are fighing for?

EDIT: Before I foget to mention, ofc if you support US troops only in locations where USA has not engaged in any war, then you are supporting the troops but not the war /EDIT

Honestly, you obviously know nothing about freedom.  If you honestly feel that America took freedom away from Iraq than you are gravely mistaken.  Do you know anything of Saddam and his regime?  Do you honestly think things are worse now than they were before we came to Iraq?  Do you think we kill innocent civilians for the hell of it?  Maybe you should do some research before making such comments about people in Iraq being able to live free and peacefully with us in the region.  The big difference is that the torture, rape, etc.. that occurred under Saddam's regime was not on the front page news of your local paper!  It was hidden, away from the rest of the world to see and you lived happily in your nice little house with your nice family and pets oblivious to how things are in other less fortunate areas of the world.  Many who live under tyrants in the region are poorly educated, there families held hostage, and told to fight America and free nations lest they and there families die horribly, never to enter paradise.  Religion is a tool used as a form of control for radicals and when that fails, they resort to such attacks you see on the news.  Yet you still side with them, calling American's killing the innocent and holding Iraqi's hostage.  Whether or not you feel the war was justified or not, we are here upholding the ideals of America.  We are in the region fighting for the freedom of Iraq to have their own government.  If you think otherwise, than maybe you should go read the Constitution of the USA! 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.",

That's the difference between those of us who serve; we believe in those words and put our lives on the line to uphold what they mean!  We don't hide behind a desk or a podium spouting out obscenities about others doing good things for those less fortunate.

Whatever your feelings are regarding how we got here you can keep to yourself because it's in the past.  What matters now is where do we go from here?  Do we leave and allow terrorist to take over this country?  Or do we fight to allow the Iraqi's to have their own free government!  Things aren't perfect in our world, but at least I can say the men and women who serve are working to make this a better world for tomorrow.  If you have beef with how we got here, take that to your politicians that bring us to such situation.  Just don't blame us for trying to clean up the mess!

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by vaizard

If the soldiers have no entertainment at all when it's their freetime, and get bored, then they want more just to leave the war and go home.

Whereas if they are provided with something fun to do once in a while, they are a bit happier to be there, and won't be so eager to leave.

So, providing the troops with entertainment increases their morale. And I think that increasing the morale of the troops is supporting the war.

And I know I can't ever win this debate, because I belief that what each of us counts as "supporting the troops" is based on our own values and beliefs and is subjective. But, I don't think that you can win this either.

Or can you prove that providing entertainment to soldiers won't have any effect on their will to stay there and fight instead of just going home? Or can you prove that there is some other fault in my logic?

So they'd get to play some WoW. They'd still be in the middle of a war zone with bullets and mortars and suicide bomber running around. Do you honestly think playing the game is going to make them want to stay there more? Get a damn clue.

{Mod Edit}

Famous words I want to share before I close come from a 1995 film starring Richard Gere and Sean Connery:  First Knight

"Your words are talking you out of peace and into war." --Malagant

"There's a peace you only find after war. 

If that battle must come.

I will fight it!"  - King Aurthur (played by Sean Connery)

- And I!

- And I!

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

All of you, I am dissappointed...This is rediculous!! I can't believe you are taking this man's topic and turning it into a USA and Iraq deal. PITTIFUL!!! Wow, you really don't get it (the people who are negating this request). This US soldier...SOLDIER...is asking nicely for a WoW server. Just because he is a soldier doesn't mean he can't play the games we play. As a matter of fact, EVEN NONAMERICANS, soldiers saved the world. If there weren't soldiers from other countries who knows what shit would happen. He wants to have fun in the war, WAR. Armed cars, people with guns, bullets, scuicide bombers! You really dont get it. Why would you even say such a thing as the US took away Iraq's freedom. Why would you even think of making this man's request and stomping it in the ground. Wow, you call yourselves Citizens. You are a bunch of Hypocrits. Rediculous...

As for the OP, you would be better off posting this topic in the World of Warcraft website forums, or possibly emailing one of them or even calling (if you have access to a phone).

Thanks for making our country free, God bless,

Edward; A proud US citizen.

Originally posted by Zorvan

So they'd get to play some WoW. They'd still be in the middle of a fucking war zone with bullets and mortars and suicide bomber dipshits running around. Do you honestly think playing the game is going to make them want to stay there more? Get a damn clue.

May I ask where the OP (Solase) is atm? If he's in Iraq, and does care about getting to play WoW in there, then it proves that such a simple thing as getting to spend what little freetime you have playing WoW does matter to USA troops in Iraq.

I try to refrain commenting any more about if Iraq war is/was justified or not, since it's not really the topic of my discussion. I'm only tryting to prove my point, that some could see a server dedicated to troops serving in Iraq as supporting the war.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Zorvan

So they'd get to play some WoW. They'd still be in the middle of a fucking war zone with bullets and mortars and suicide bomber dipshits running around. Do you honestly think playing the game is going to make them want to stay there more? Get a damn clue.

May I ask where the OP (Solase) is atm? If he's in Iraqi, and does care about getting to play WoW in there, then it proves that such a simple thing as getting to spend what little freetime you have playing WoW does matter to USA troops in Iraqi.  But does it prove that it will make them want to stay there, as you said it would and to which my reply was focused? No, it doesn't. It just proves that they'd like to play a damn game. Period.

I try to refrain commenting any more about if Iraqi war is/was justified or not, since it's not really the topic of my discussion. I'm only tryting to prove my point, that some could see a server dedicated to troops serving in Iraqi as supporting the war. They have servers for players in China, is Blizzard supporting Communism? Again, your arguments are ridiculous and unfounded.