Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so i bought wow

2»

Comments

• RajaiRajai Member UncommonPosts: 331

I honestly doubt that people that have enjoyed WoW care much for the graphics. they're cartoony because all of the games in the warcraft series have been, World of Warcraft just wouldn't look good with lineage 2 graphics..

Maybe they could use more CG cutscenes, that was something i liked about the warcraft series and something this game lacks

Trump 2016

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

WoW had never been about the gfx, other games put gfx first and look where they are today, in the bargin bucket struggling to stay afloat.

WAR should be a sucessful game becuase it had basic gfx (ie, no flashy DX10 crap etc) which will appeal to far more people, untill they realise its WoW with a new skin and come back to Wow ofc =D

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Lets face it, graphics only matter once everything else is in place.  If the gameplay sucks who cares what the heck it looks like?  All you have to do is look at some of the software released lately with great graphics, but missing something.  Passed on by most gamers while games like WoW and Counter Strike continue to have a strong following.  Graphics are not the holy grail.  They never have been.

• WoWownsallWoWownsall Member Posts: 17

Honestly, i don't see a problem with WoW's graphics. It's not super realistic, but the graphics aren't terrible. It is a fantasy game, so it shouldn't look real. Anyone see the final fantasy movies that were completely computer generated. Those were just scary. Fantasy games and movies have to look off from reality, otherwise they would just be wierd. Another reason, mentioned before, is that more people can play with less demanding graphics. I just got a Dell Inspiron notebook for christmas, and it can run WoW. That made me happy. I doubt my humble laptop could run AoC, I doubt my desktop computer could run AoC without any serious upgrades.

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

As a long time player of World of Warcraft, I can say the graphics is the first thing I'd change.  Put your hands near the user-interface and I'll growl, but the graphics need more beef for the computers that are capable.  Sure, keep the low-end options, but add some upper end stuff.  Even Everquest 1 with its "older than dirt and we'll only upgrade spiders in this expansion" tacked on some pretty nice 3-D features to a very, very old graphics engine.  I've cancelled Everquest 1, but Blizz needs to get into gear in the graphics department.  The other request would be more diversified quest objectives.  Killing stuff is fine for your typical mass-homicidal sadist, but I'd like a bit more variety than killing ogres.  All-in-all, World of Warcraft is the best game on the market (in my opinion and in sales apparently) but it doesn't mean there isn't a thing or two to do to keep their edge.  Happy questing!

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Noone has even mentioned that they could do like LotRO and EVE, and have two client versions. One with the regular low-res graphics for those with shitty comps, and a high-res client for those who have up-to-date and/or beefed-up comps.

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by Zorvan

Noone has even mentioned that they could do like LotRO and EVE, and have two client versions. One with the regular low-res graphics for those with shitty comps, and a high-res client for those who have up-to-date and/or beefed-up comps.

Yarrr, that is a great idea and I am surprised more games have not employed this.

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383

I have no problem with WoW's graphics, their art direction more than makes up for it.  Plus it's nice being able to run 4 accounts at once on a 6600GT with 1 gig of ram.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• WoWownsallWoWownsall Member Posts: 17

The 2 different clients, 1 for low graphics, 1 for high graphics idea is good in theory, but i don't think it will work. Hard to word what i am thinking, but I'll give it a shot. I go, upgrade my video card so i can play with the big client, it will either A) Disapoint me. I just bought a new video card for THIS?, or B) Be good enough. I don't think many people are going to be amazed by new graphics. WoW isn't about the graphics. It's always been cartoonish, why change now. The amount of money, time, and man-hours it would take, not to mention debugging, tinkering, and re constructing many models would not be worth it. Think about it. 10 Million people play WoW actively. The cheapest you can get a month at is 12 dollars American, preordering it for a whole year. What's 10 million times 12? For those of you who can't or are too lazy to figure it our it is 120 million  dollars. That's a lot of money right? But in order to upgrade the graphics, you're going to need nerds. Lots of nerds. True, the company already has lots of nerds, but they are all already doing stuff, or they wouldn't be working there. The amount of people you would have to pay on top of regular wages would not be very cost effective.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

WoW is no where near the point where it need to remake itself to keep people interested (EvE EQ2 AO), change the gfx style and it losses the essense of WoW, WoW is about humor slap on a EQ2 skin and its all lost.  Look at the RTS games.. WoW looks like warcraft, and it has to be that way.

Saying that I would like just 1 upgrade.. some kind of foliage update cus when I am flying around the trees look god awful in nagrand.

We are getting improvements in WoTLK, just as we did in TBC just dont expect it over night.

In 5 years time its the "realistic" games that will look primative and the stylised games like WoW that will still look good.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

WOW graphics are a piece of low poligon art, as EQ graphics were in it's time. EQ changed them with the Luclin engine and it wasn't so great. Specially characters lost their charm, and many computers had problems with the Luclin engine, mine included, having to lower options and basically fighting to get a few FPS which sucks.

So... WOW, don't change anything!

• fusionx212fusionx212 Member UncommonPosts: 137

Firstly this was not a gripe Topic about graphics i was merely curious as to see what WoW would do, or have plans to do with graphics as im starting the game. As you say 3 years to late but as such if i do plan on staying in WoW. I want value for my money as time goes on. i do not want to be stuck in a 3d low polly graphic slug that was used as the engine for WoW 3

secondly i wasnt being ignorant :| but companys like wow have project teams like any I.T. company does so to say wow would not upgrade graphics is a bit silly.

keep the slap stick humour graphics it's fine by me. but it would not hurt to upgrade shaders and improve texture packs they dont take alot i know it's seemless in the WoW world. I can run WoW on top settings my rig is quadcore too and have over 4 gig of ram and 8800gtx. my gripe is that i want more definition in textures i know it takes alot to implement that into a game as big as WoW  

gameplay is faultless tho

why dont wow implement a fraction of that 120 million bucks back into the game. you spend money to make more money.

It's all Lies...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Geez folks, how many times do I have to say it, the graphics are not that important, its all about the quality of the game play.

Oh wait, we're talking about WOW, never mind. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by fusionx212

secondly i wasnt being ignorant :| but companys like wow have project teams like any I.T. company does so to say wow would not upgrade graphics is a bit silly.
    gameplay is faultless tho
    why dont wow implement a fraction of that 120 million bucks back into the game. you spend money to make more money.

They put plenty of money back into the game...it's just not on the graphics.  Have you considered maybe that's the reason that gameplay is faultless?  Graphics are overated.  10 million people apparently are aware of this.