Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Book 12 Preview, Part One: Customization

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Late last week, managing Editor Jon Wood was given a preview of the upcoming Book 12: The Ashen Waste by the dev team from Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online. Today, he passes on some information about the new visual character customization system.

Late last week, I had the opportunity to jump onto the test server for Turbine’s Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar with a couple of developers to check out the content that will be added when the company releases Book 12: The Ashen Waste.

When it launches, the free update will add some interesting new content to Middle Earth: new areas to explore, new quests including the continuation of the game’s Epic Quest line, a new Player vs. Monster Player area and more. Still though, the major focus of The Ashen Waste (and the focus of the first part of this preview) is the detailed player customization that is being added.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

The appearance customization really seems to miss the point.  The people who could wear heavy armor can already look cool.  The medium and light armor people are still stuck in clown suits.  But now we can wear one ugly piece of armor and show a different ugly piece of armor.  This system only benefits the heavy armor wearers... and they were already the only ones with anything decent looking to wear.

In their mad rush to borrow features from other games, they are kinda missing the point with this one.  What they need to add is more variety to the armor we can already wear.  Maybe they could make a conscious effort to come up with some light armor that doesn't make you look like a color-blind hobo.

People want to be able to make their character look COOL in an MMO.  I understand efforts to make high level armor look cooler than low level armor... but I don't think there is really any reason lo make armor look cooler and cooler the heavier it gets.  Not unless everyone eventually unlocks the ability to wear it.  I just don't understand the motivation behind all the ugly armor... or why they think letting people wear two suits of ugly armor does anything to correct the problem.

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

Originally posted by Salvatoris

The appearance customization really seems to miss the point.  The people who could wear heavy armor can already look cool.  The medium and light armor people are still stuck in clown suits.  But now we can wear one ugly piece of armor and show a different ugly piece of armor.  This system only benefits the heavy armor wearers... and they were already the only ones with anything decent looking to wear.
    In their mad rush to borrow features from other games, they are kinda missing the point with this one.  What they need to add is more variety to the armor we can already wear.  Maybe they could make a conscious effort to come up with some light armor that doesn't make you look like a color-blind hobo.
    People want to be able to make their character look COOL in an MMO.  I understand efforts to make high level armor look cooler than low level armor... but I don't think there is really any reason lo make armor look cooler and cooler the heavier it gets.  Not unless everyone eventually unlocks the ability to wear it.  I just don't understand the motivation behind all the ugly armor... or why they think letting people wear two suits of ugly armor does anything to correct the problem.
    This is a total misrepresentation of the Outfit system.

Sure, you can put all the missed matched armor pieces you want in the Outfit slots, but you can also find a good set and dye all the pieces the color you want, then have a decent set.

You can also slot whole outfits that were design specificly for the Outfit system. The outfits they have a pretty cool looking. There are some nice outfits for RP purposes. You can also mix and match the Outfits that were designed specificly for Book 12 with pre-existing armor and cloaks.

IMO, your character will only look as cool as your imagination. I've got a level 16 Burglar that looks really cool in crafted and looted armor and hooded cloak that I dyed blue. The dye was only 14s a piece so it's not like a paid an arm and a leg to get it.

The beauty of the outfit system is that since I like that combo so much I can set it as one of my outfits when Book 12 goes live and then equip stat based armor that  would be different colors and styles.

I think it's a step in the right direction in so far as giving players more control over the appearance of their avatars. I hate that itemization has become the norm for character development, but that's a discussion for another post.

I miss old school SWG where you clothing and appearance weren't necessarily indicative of your strength, level, ect. As sad as it may be, LotRO's outfit systems is as close as we can get to that right now.

Maybe one day developers will go back to skill based stuff that isn't so heavy on the itemization, but until then this is a much needed addition to these types of MMOs.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Salvatoris had said it best

"Borrow" is the key word...and this appearance tab system was already implemented in EQ2 about 3-4 months ago..and the fact remains...it will not save the visuals of the mediocre armor..So, hopefully some better looking outfits come out than the emasculating form fitting leather look

LOTRO still continues to clone the best games..

Later

Originally posted by openedge1

"Borrow" is the key word...and this appearance tab system was already implemented in EQ2 about 3-4 months ago..and the fact remains...it will not save the visuals of the mediocre armor..So, hopefully some better looking outfits come out than the emasculating form fitting leather look

Later

Did you just totally miss my post or are you just that bound and determined to not see what's really there because of your preconcieved notions?

They created tons of Outfits that go over your existing stuff that can be bought from different places. It looks nothing like the stuff that's all ready in the game.

In fact give me a second and I'll edit this post with a link to the pictures of the new stuff. It's amazing to see people post this stuff without really looking into it.

Here's a link to a list of all the new hairstyles and the new outfits that go over, meaning replaces the outward apearance of your character:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=115004

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Interesting. This may solve one of the issues I had with this game. But I still have other issues needing resolving before I quit WoW to play it. Cool looking armor was one issue, but fun classes is another. I had no fun playing any of the classes offered in LoTRO. My favorite class in a MMORPG is a warrior/mage hybrid. You know, fighting with a sword in one hand a spell in another. I play WoW in hopes that the new Deathknight class will be what I've been waiting for in this generation of polished games. One other thing WoW did better than Lotro, which is why I won't play it is the variety of starting areas and places to level. In LoTRO, I only like playing the Elves and Humans. Both have a different starting area, but meet up in Breeland. From that point onward, everyone is doing the same quests. This makes for no replay value. WoW has 7 or 8 starting areas with 2-4 different ways to level up without repeating the same content. That's at least twice as long playing time as I could get in Lotro for the same price. I look for value in my games; the cool factor, which WoW has with its armor you can get and the epicness of the world; and a sizable community, where I can find a good guild and it is easy to find groups.

LoTRO just fails in my book and by the time it is cool enough for me to play, it will be too late for it. But I am truley happy some people have found a home in that game. I was just hoping for more than what I got in that game.

Sorry for the rant.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• ramvoramvo Member UncommonPosts: 29

Its amazing,  you give people a way to look different and they still complain. And whats with this copy or burrowed thing people keep talking about. I love the fact they add customization, every mmo needs it. Who gives a  crap this mmo,  that mmo,  have this system already, im not playing that mmo im playing LOTRO.

Always looking to make more friends http://opdisasters.proboards.com/index.cgi

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

Interesting. This may solve one of the issues I had with this game. But I still have other issues needing resolving before I quit WoW to play it. Cool looking armor was one issue, but fun classes is another. I had no fun playing any of the classes offered in LoTRO. My favorite class in a MMORPG is a warrior/mage hybrid. You know, fighting with a sword in one hand a spell in another. I play WoW in hopes that the new Deathknight class will be what I've been waiting for in this generation of polished games. One other thing WoW did better than Lotro, which is why I won't play it is the variety of starting areas and places to level. In LoTRO, I only like playing the Elves and Humans. Both have a different starting area, but meet up in Breeland. From that point onward, everyone is doing the same quests. This makes for no replay value. WoW has 7 or 8 starting areas with 2-4 different ways to level up without repeating the same content. That's at least twice as long playing time as I could get in Lotro for the same price. I look for value in my games; the cool factor, which WoW has with its armor you can get and the epicness of the world; and a sizable community, where I can find a good guild and it is easy to find groups.
    LoTRO just fails in my book and by the time it is cool enough for me to play, it will be too late for it. But I am truley happy some people have found a home in that game. I was just hoping for more than what I got in that game.
    Sorry for the rant.
    Yeah but LoTRO has player housing and you get an instance neighborhood with Guild Houses, regular houses, and deluxe houses.

I'm just too burned out on WoW to ever go back. I've been playing LoTRO, but I don't know how long it will last. The RP value is loads better in LoTRO than any other current title.

Originally posted by ramvo

Its amazing,  you give people a way to look different and they still complain. And whats with this copy or burrowed thing people keep talking about. I love the fact they add customization, every mmo needs it. Who gives a  crap this mmo,  that mmo,  have this system already, im not playing that mmo im playing LOTRO.

Because they managed to come up with a system that only really benefits the people who didn't have a problem in the first place.  If you wear heavy armor, you can already make your character look cool.. and now you can show the appearance of any armor in the game.  If you are only certed for light armor, you can only show the appearance of other light armor, or whatever no stat clothes they add specifically for this new system.  The problem of light armor all being ugly isn't alleviated by this new system... a system that someone pointed out was already in EQ2.

I played LOTRO from mid closed beta to last month, and never saw a single stitch of light armor that looked cool.  Most of it looks like they were trying to make it ugly on purpose.  I just started EQ2 this week, made a healer and he starts the game in cooler looking armor than the high end raid stuff from LOTRO. It's nice that are adding new features to the game, I just don't think they are addressing the actual issues with the game.

Originally posted by ramvo

Because they managed to come up with a system that only really benefits the people who didn't have a problem in the first place.  If you wear heavy armor, you can already make your character look cool.. and now you can show the appearance of any armor in the game.  If you are only certed for light armor, you can only show the appearance of other light armor, or whatever no stat clothes they add specifically for this new system.  The problem of light armor all being ugly isn't alleviated by this new system... a system that someone pointed out was already in EQ2.

I played LOTRO from mid closed beta to last month, and never saw a single stitch of light armor that looked cool.  Most of it looks like they were trying to make it ugly on purpose.  I just started EQ2 this week, made a healer and he starts the game in cooler looking armor than the high end raid stuff from LOTRO. It's nice that are adding new features to the game, I just don't think they are addressing the actual issues with the game.

C'mon man. Did you even look at the outfits that I linked a few posts up? I'm fairly certain that there will be at least one outfit there that looks cool to you.

Now your Light armor wearer doesn't have to look like the gear he/she is wearing. You can equip your quested crafted stuff for the stats, but choose the way you look through the outfit system.

I really think that you don't know what the system is. At the very least take a look at the screenshots of the new outfits.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

Most of the light armor hats in this game are the ugliest piece of clothing I have ever seen

This is OK system I guess thought it bothers me a little bit that you can wear heavy armor and look like you are wearing a light armor. It should work so that if you have heavy armor on you can't change the appearance to anything else than heavy, but thats just my opinion.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Some of the new clothing is really cool looking, and others are horrible.  Same with the new hairstyles.

I wish the publish would go live already. 

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

I like what I see. Some cool changes there. I think Trubine is doing a good job with LotRO.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Terranah

Some of the new clothing is really cool looking, and others are horrible.  Same with the new hairstyles.

I wish the publish would go live already. 

Guess you have to have horrible hair does for people with crappy taste

Come Turbine

I allready prepared the clothes ! Even quested for that chicken cloak !!!

• comitroncomitron Member UncommonPosts: 37

They really need to do something about the character face customization too

• kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525

Everytime they come out with a new chapter I seem to restart my account to go play with the features.. I wish I could afford the 200$ offer for the life subscription... >.< Maybe someday. heh

• PrinnySquadPrinnySquad Member Posts: 90

I'm one of the first to say the combat and advancement systems in this game are nothing but a clone of EQ/WoW with the restricting boring class system, item-based level-based hackfest gameplay.

But this is a GREAT new addition. They should be applauded for this. You have the customizable music (already there), two outfit slots, and barbershop stuff. Housing stuff. It's actually earning the RP part of RPG.

Credit where credit is due.

I mean, did they dropkick your kitten like Hulk Hogan in the 90's?

Or, is it sincere lament for what was once called Middle Earth Online? Well, I can understand that one.

Anyway, update looks good, but I guess since I'm not currently playing, it doesn't matter too much what I think.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

First as EQ2 veteran from day one I feel inclined to emphasis this is copied from Everquest II, who first invented this.

Generally its a good idea, because like many MMOer I suffered at some point from "looking like a clown" as the author so well puts it. No matter how many armor pieces you add in a game, doing quests, raids and whatnot will always put you in a postion where you have to chose between fitting look or best stats, and this is the best workaround on this issue so far. Better good copied than bad innovated, I say. I am sure this will be a new standart in MMOs like the symbol over NPCs heads who have quests got at some point.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

I'm not even so worried about the look. Cosmetics can only keep it interesting for so long, I hope new quests and areas are what make book12 interesting for me.

Although one of those quivers look like a neat addition to my Hunter :)

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Too bad I can't hold one of those 'aestehic only' beers in one hand and put an axe in the skulls of orcs with the other hehehe.

I do hope they will add more faces later on as well, so maybe people will have the option not to be a square jawed model man.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by openedge1

Later

Only 3-4 months ago?  Wow.. that took a long time.  Too bad it took EQ2 years to put that appearance tab in the game. 

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• dj_decaydj_decay Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

Sorry for the rant.

Sounds like you want to play a Loremaster with 'Sword and Staff' slotted as a legendary trait.  Add a nice enchancted pointy hat and you're nearly as cool as Gandalf himself.  so LOTRO already has what you want there, and WoW 'might' if you buy their new expansion, whenever that comes out...

Also, Elves and Humans have TOTALLY different starting areas and elves don't really need to go anywhere NEAR Bree-land.  Humans end up in Bree-land, which is a nice place to quest, and Elves end up in Falathorn.  You can level up an elf (or dwarf for that matter) without ever setting foot in Bree, you can find all your level-appropriate quests and adventures in Falathorn/Ered-Luin etc...., and not need to set foot in the Shire or Bree if you so choose. 

When scary things get scared, that's bad...

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by DeaconX

Too bad I can't hold one of those 'aestehic only' beers in one hand and put an axe in the skulls of orcs with the other hehehe.
    I do hope they will add more faces later on as well, so maybe people will have the option not to be a square jawed model man.

YES YES YES!

Gawd how I HATE all those square jawed men faces! *high fives*

Why are so many male face models like made from some jar headed action movie? ugh

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by DeaconX

YES YES YES!

Gawd how I HATE all those square jawed men faces! *high fives*

Why are so many male face models like made from some jar headed action movie? ugh

Because "back then" men were all large, deep chested, broad shouldered and square jawed... didnt you know that? Men were never lanky and skinny!

</sarcasm>

I wouldnt go ripping lotro for using the appearance tab too much, considering EQ2 "uses" stuff from other games. And warcrack pretty much copied stuff from the EQ setting. Ironforge, Shadow Council... to name a few.

Originally posted by PrinnySquad

I'm one of the first to say the combat and advancement systems in this game are nothing but a clone of EQ/WoW with the restricting boring class system, item-based level-based hackfest gameplay.
    But this is a GREAT new addition. They should be applauded for this. You have the customizable music (already there), two outfit slots, and barbershop stuff. Housing stuff. It's actually earning the RP part of RPG.
    Or, is it sincere lament for what was once called Middle Earth Online? Well, I can understand that one.
    Anyway, update looks good, but I guess since I'm not currently playing, it doesn't matter too much what I think.
    Isnt this new system also a clone of an existing system from EQ2?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my issue with it is that it doesn't make the armor less ugly.. you just get more ugly choices.  This system benefits heavy armor wearers far more than those of us stuck in the ugly light armor clown suits... the people who actually had issues with their appearance in the first place.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Originally posted by PrinnySquad

Isnt this new system also a clone of an existing system from EQ2?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my issue with it is that it doesn't make the armor less ugly.. you just get more ugly choices.  This system benefits heavy armor wearers far more than those of us stuck in the ugly light armor clown suits... the people who actually had issues with their appearance in the first place.

echo echo echo