Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering Vanguard

TriddleTriddle Member UncommonPosts: 23

Hi everyone,

I've been playing MMORPGs for some time now, but right now (as I'm sure you've all noticed) there really isn't anything all that great on the market. That said, I'm really itching for a game to play and out of the MMORPGs out there Vanguard honestly looks like the best. I guess the biggest problem with this game at this stage is probably population, as its choppy launch no doubt turned a lot of people (myself included) away.

I'm not looking for anything spectatular really, I just want a basic MMORPG with a reasonable playerbase that I can have a bit of fun leveling up in while I wait for the next generation. How is the population on the PvP server(s) of Vanguard? And can I have fun just messing around with this game leveling up with a friend or two?

If I can't find a decent MMO soon I might just go buy Hellgate and play that online. I just want something to tide me over till the next big thing is released.

Comments

• Markn12Markn12 Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by Triddle

Hi everyone,

I've been playing MMORPGs for some time now, but right now (as I'm sure you've all noticed) there really isn't anything all that great on the market. That said, I'm really itching for a game to play and out of the MMORPGs out there Vanguard honestly looks like the best. I guess the biggest problem with this game at this stage is probably population, as its choppy launch no doubt turned a lot of people (myself included) away.

I'm not looking for anything spectatular really, I just want a basic MMORPG with a reasonable playerbase that I can have a bit of fun leveling up in while I wait for the next generation. How is the population on the PvP server(s) of Vanguard? And can I have fun just messing around with this game leveling up with a friend or two?

If I can't find a decent MMO soon I might just go buy Hellgate and play that online. I just want something to tide me over till the next big thing is released.

No you cannot.  The comments from the original  Devs and SOE devs say as much.  Vanguard is and was developed for hard core players and hard core raiders.    The casual player will feel left out alot of the time. 

• TriddleTriddle Member UncommonPosts: 23

Thanks for the reply.

That's fair enough, but a lot of people say the same thing about World of Warcraft and EQ2, and that is clearly not the case. Though that is not to say that it's not the case with Vanguard I think I might give it a try anyway. If it turns out to be any good I probably wont end up just playing it casually anyway.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Hi everyone,

I think for what you are looking for Vanguard will be a great fit.  What the other person said about VG being hardcore is complete misinformation.  VG is not that hardcore at all.  You can solo and have a great time or you can group and do some great dungeon areas.  The population is looking reasonable and maybe growing.  I'm not sure how it is on the PvP server I'd guess it is less.

VG has a lot more depth & breadth to it then most games and is one of the few real sandbox type MMOs on the market today.

---
    Ethion

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

Thanks for the reply.

That's fair enough, but a lot of people say the same thing about World of Warcraft and EQ2, and that is clearly not the case. Though that is not to say that it's not the case with Vanguard I think I might give it a try anyway. If it turns out to be any good I probably wont end up just playing it casually anyway.

You can play it very casually and have a great time soloing depending on the class you choose. Both the monk and the (forgot the name but it's like a monk with some healing) classes are easy to play and are easy to advance. Do an hour or two's worth of research on SOE's boards and all your questions will probably be answered without you having to even ask.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

VG will suit you, more so if you have a friend to play with, there are a load of interesting classes to play with.

What that guy said about it being hardcore is just not true.

The land is big so grouping in lower levels is not so common, but if you play with a friend then that wont nother you.

Grouping gets better once you hit 22.

Note that to get the best out of the graphics you need a decent PC.

Enjoy!

PS dont expect any awesome PvP as this was added to the game later i beleive, i have not experienced it myself so can't really comment more about it.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

i put all the negitvity aside and bought this game last month and gave it a try (former FFXI/EQ player looking for a more "harcore" group orientated game). i ended up canceling because of a couple things.

main i stopped becuase the game just felt sooo empty. its far to big and it doesnt have a large community to fill it. honestly i started on 2 diffrent contents and made it (10/19) and mabey saw 15 ppl at most the entire time i played. htings like having the newbie areas wicked seperated so u cant meet up, and the obvious low community size, andeven with a good PC, you wont play near high and still have a decent amount of lag chunking alot, that was what drove me to hit cancel.

though that being said, the game does look great. the communtiy that does exist is pretty nice and there is great class verity. if you enjoyed stuff like EQ, then youl get the hang of it right off the bat. it was amusing, but just not worth it for me, no offence to the VG players out there. if you dont mind some of the reasons why i stopped, then this will defnitly fill in your MMO hunger gap. as for me, i havent found anything group/HC like yet out that is recent and full, so i basicly been back on FFXI for a month.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by zanfire

i put all the negitvity aside and bought this game last month and gave it a try (former FFXI/EQ player looking for a more "harcore" group orientated game). i ended up canceling because of a couple things.
    main i stopped becuase the game just felt sooo empty. its far to big and it doesnt have a large community to fill it. honestly i started on 2 diffrent contents and made it (10/19) and mabey saw 15 ppl at most the entire time i played. htings like having the newbie areas wicked seperated so u cant meet up, and the obvious low community size, andeven with a good PC, you wont play near high and still have a decent amount of lag chunking alot, that was what drove me to hit cancel.
    though that being said, the game does look great. the communtiy that does exist is pretty nice and there is great class verity. if you enjoyed stuff like EQ, then youl get the hang of it right off the bat. it was amusing, but just not worth it for me, no offence to the VG players out there. if you dont mind some of the reasons why i stopped, then this will defnitly fill in your MMO hunger gap. as for me, i havent found anything group/HC like yet out that is recent and full, so i basicly been back on FFXI for a month.
    This might be true at the moment.

The leveling zones at lower levels (1-12) even maybe (13-25)  are a bit empty, because there is like 15 of them. Later on there are only like 5-6 different zones for each level so you will start to meet a lot of players actually. This issue is SoE going to fix by merging all starting zones into one.

REALITY CHECK

mabey once it happens, and the community if it ever does pick up, i wont mind subing to check it out, but for now, it feels like im playing in a giant loely world

Originally posted by Thillian

This might be true at the moment.

The leveling zones at lower levels (1-12) even maybe (13-25)  are a bit empty, because there is like 15 of them. Later on there are only like 5-6 different zones for each level so you will start to meet a lot of players actually. This issue is SoE going to fix by merging all starting zones into one.

Where did you read that?  They have talked about trying the change the starting experience and based on one of PhAnToMs posts people thought he said they were going to do what you said.  This created a lot of complaints by the community that the starting areas are great with interesting stories and quests and that consolidating would be bad.  The devs came back and said that they would NOT be consolidating the starting areas.  What they will be doing is increasing there level some and putting in a common starting area somehow.  I'm guessing that will probably provide a way to get new players together and a way to move between the starting areas quickly.

There is also a revamp of the riftways coming in gu4 that will change how players can get around in the world.

---
    Ethion

well that actually sucks, i guess they dont relize when u have 20 diffrent starting zones and you spread the lowbie community thin, it sucks. why they did have just 3 kinda close together larger zones like in EQ or FFXI makes no sence. u want it to be accessable to a handful of low lvl areas that all the lowbies can get to and lvl at, and make the starting towns good enough to make you use them to go back to after adventuring. kinda like how i hear there is no real high end meeting place, its just a scattered mess. is there somone who likes everyone being completely scattered?

• Markn12Markn12 Member Posts: 222

Actually if you played the game from the very start of the alpha you would know my comments are true.    I know how big the world is and how much content there is, but comeon people try and tell me you can go into this game not knowing anyone and still achieve stuff that is worth the time you have to put into it.     Dont get me wrong i like the game and i still play it, but I dont feel it is a casual game.   The entire process of lvling shows its a hardcore game.   Ive personally talked to Brad and he said the core of the game was for hard core raiders.   They tried to fill the game out to fit the casual players, but until the servers start to get over populated the casul player wont get much done for his time invested.

all I can do is laugh if you think VG is hardcore...

---
    Ethion

• TriddleTriddle Member UncommonPosts: 23

I bought the game and have started playing. I see what you mean about how much it eats computer. Playing it on something way better than anything that was around at the release of this game and it still munches it.

So far I'm enjoying the game, and I've only just started. It immediately gives the feeling of a more immersive (and in my opinion - enjoyable) game. I can't say I didn't expect that though, as those are the types of games SoE seems attracted to. The look and feel of the game appeal to me a lot and I'm looking forward to playing it more. How much playtime approx does it take to reach 50? I'd like to think it would take a long time to reach max level, like the games of the past, but WoW's influence on the market makes me think it may be another 5 minute RPG, especially seeing an apparent focus on 'end game'... Man I miss the days when leveling WAS the fun.

Anyway, if anyone wants to contact me in game on the PvP server, or just come grief me for a while or whatever, my name is Triddle. If I decided to reroll to a more populated server, which one would you advise? With population being (apparently) low maybe I should sacrifice my love of ganking and being ganked to go for a more populated server.

Oh, I rolled an orc ranger by the way. Looking forward to meeting any of you who are on my server in game. 

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

How much playtime approx does it take to reach 50? I'd like to think it would take a long time to reach max level,
    It depends on how fast you want to level.  You can reach level 50 in 5-15 days played with very little trouble and very poor gear.  But there is much to do in Vanguard other than leveling.  Crafting is very well done and the crafting emchanics are arguably the best of any game on the market.  There are many many dungeons to visit and many long consuming quests.  The game was designed to cater to many different playstyles, those that like to quest, those that like to grind and those that like to explore.  It offers gameplay for all of those players.

If you follow some of the major questlines you will ourfit yourself with some amazing gear.  You may be tempted to buy crafted gear.  But there really is no need to do so until level 50.

There are 4 leveling areas for each level and it is impossible to do the quests in all areas without them becoming grey.  Realistically you can do maybe 50% of the quests available.  Maybe even less.

Vanguard is a pretty great game if you can look past its flaws and enjoy it for what it has to offer,

Best of luck.