Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Darkfall still Relevant?

KienKien Member Posts: 520

The primary attraction of Darkfall is PvP. To the best of my knowledge, we haven't had a good fantasy PvP game released within the past three years that hasn't sucked. There are at least two games on the horizon that will feature PvP action - WAR, and (to a lesser extent) Age of Conan. I believe one of those two games (most likely WAR) will take off.

Suppose Darkfall is released a few months or a year after WAR is released. Will people still be interested in Darkfall, assuming the PvP in WAR is good? Or has Darkfall missed its window of opportunity?

Comments

• GuitanoGuitano Member Posts: 208

No! There is an ever greater PvP mmo in the works called, Oh my garsh POOP! Everyone powers up on  jumping up and down after drinking milk and eating suasages. Its all open PvP, skill based and full player looting. Casters cast liquid poop and warriors use hammers, kind of like a hard turd on the end of a stick.  If you power up and then cast or swing a poo hammer you have a chance to crit somone. Full loot is awsome since you can loot milk and suasages. I really like the idea that if you swing the poo hammer the more skill you gain in the poo hammer. I hate the casters AoE's since they make everyone around them slip and fall. Yep and also large scale sieges on player built and owned piles of poop! AWSOME!

The Oh my garsh POOP! beta open starts very soon! So keep your eyes closed tight!

• Jenus1Jenus1 Member Posts: 162

Ofcourse, there will always be a window for darkfall, because no other game will fill it.

Pre-cu Fanbois,
    There will be no rollback.
    Go outside - Get a life,
    It's not coming back.
    We arn't giving you your game-back.
    So go outside, and realize that you've wasted 2 years.
    Pre-cu Fanbois.

• 28days28days Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by Jenus1

Ofcourse, there will always be a window for darkfall, because no other game will fill it.

not even darkfall itself

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Is Darkfall still relevant?

Yes it is, there have been NO skillbased FFAPvP, full loot MMO made for the last ten years. People still play UO.

So im stuck waiting for DF until someone showes me a better MMO to wait for : (

Originally posted by daarco

Yes it is, there have been NO skillbased FFAPvP, full loot MMO made for the last ten years. People still play UO.

Dude, have you checked out the new game that was added to mmorpg.com yesterday? The game is called Earthrise. Its all skill based, no classes, open PvP with player looting. I read alot on the website lastnight.

Link: http://www.play-earthrise.com/

GamingShotgun Interveiw: http://gamingshogun.com/Article.aspx?a=763

WarCry Interveiw: http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/interviews/2867-Earthrise-Interview-with-Masthead-CEO-Atanas-Atanasov

I bet it's out before darkfall

Im not sure if I read it right or not. I think that I read Earthrise will be out within this year. I need to double check on the Earthrise website, im pretty sure thats what it said though. I doubt DF will ever come out at this point. The wait has been to long with no real info. Im also tired of being BSed to by the DF dev's. The DF dev's have somthing to hide. Dont you think that if you made or are making this AWSOME mmo, you would share what you could with the followers? The DF dev's dont.

• WarcriminalWarcriminal Member Posts: 244

Earthrise is sceduled for 2009

they havent broken any promisses yet, but they havent kept any either, so time will tell

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Guitano

Dude, have you checked out the new game that was added to mmorpg.com yesterday? The game is called Earthrise. Its all skill based, no classes, open PvP with player looting. I read alot on the website lastnight.

WarCry Interveiw: http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/interviews/2867-Earthrise-Interview-with-Masthead-CEO-Atanas-Atanasov

Made by an unknown developer from Bulgaria (a country famous for their game development, no doubt) with questionable funding and lots of promises. (released in a year? right)  Sort of a Darkfall re-run in my eyes.  Soon as I see confirmation that a beta has begun I'll start to pay attention.  I hope its true,  but I'm not gonna get my hopes up at this point.

Until someone comes out with a game based on this model that doesn't suck, there remains a gap that AOC/WAR will not fill.  Will it be DF? Maybe, maybe not.  Let's hope someone does.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Xris375Xris375 Member Posts: 1,005

Darkfall is not a PvP game, it is a freedom game where you can do what your want including PVE to support PvP and crafting.

---
    And when we got more women on the team, it was like ‘No, no, no. We need puppies and horses in there.’ ”
    John Smedley, SOE

Originally posted by Xris375

Darkfall is not a PvP game, it is a freedom game where you can do what your want including PVE to support PvP and crafting.

Yep, but what is everyone going to do ( if it comes out)? Everyone like myself will be PKing and looting. My guild will take over the DF map like we did in shadowbane a few years back, before everyone quit the game. I also see tons of shadowbane guilds on the DF website ready to do the same. In the END df (WILL) be a PvP mmo. Why do you think that EA games FKed up classic UO? Classic UO was a freedom game and in the end was a PvP game. Many people bitched and shed tears. Now look at UO, its an item based, gear based pile of crap, much like WoW minus the levels and instances. The DF team stated that they would not make the same mistake that EA UO made. So yes DF will be a PvP mmo, get over it.

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

Originally posted by Warcriminal

I saw that and laughed. When will devs learn? You cannot pump out a MMO in 1 or 2 years. It can't be done.

Just once I'd love to see someone announce a game, say in 2008 with a release in 2013, and actually HIT THE TARGET.

Heck, if things went really, really well, they might actually release it in 2012 and shock the hell out of everyone by being early!

Someone needs to clue in these Bulgarians.

Ok, let me say this: Im waiting for Darkfall, Earthrise, Fallen Earth and Infinity (sci-fi).

Do you spot the pattern? All developed by small unknown indie developers.  And they all are sandbox MMOs. So why cant a major MMO developer also make one of those?

Thats why im also think DF is still relevant.....its all we have left to hold on to. Until one of those MMOs relesed : )

It would be funny if Earthrise came out before Darkfall though.

he he, yes it would. Im just glad someone is doing a "good" oldschool style MMO.

• ProtestProtest Member UncommonPosts: 159

Do you guys remember what the world was like before 9/11?

Everything has changed, except for the fact that Darkfall is still 'in development'

“We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.”
    -T.S. Eliot

Yep, global terrorism dont effect the Darkfall developers. They are very tough you know : )

• oronisioronisi Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by Iijs

Originally posted by Warcriminal

I saw that and laughed. When will devs learn? You cannot pump out a MMO in 1 or 2 years. It can't be done.

Just once I'd love to see someone announce a game, say in 2008 with a release in 2013, and actually HIT THE TARGET.

Heck, if things went really, really well, they might actually release it in 2012 and shock the hell out of everyone by being early!

Someone needs to clue in these Bulgarians.

Did you read up on the company?  By the look of those screenshots and other graphics, they might very well have 2 years worth of development in the game done already.

If you guys want freedom, why not just play Shadowbane for the time being? All the major BS that went on a few years ago have all been fixed. I can max out any toon in 2 to 3 days, I can PK people and loot them with 0 restrictions. There are lots of classes to play and endless toon builds. Mobs drop large amounts of gold and items and player owned shops sell things at fair prices. SB does have items but not to the point of the game being item based like any game out or in the works. Yep the graphics are not 2008 but look fine to me. The starter zone is not noob friendly.. who cares??? do 10 mins of reading on the SB website for starter zone help. Or Shadowbane might be a little to hardcore and manly for any of you. SB is 150% more hardcore than Darkfall or any game being made or out.

If you guys want freedom, why not just play Shadowbane for the time being?

or better yet - go play Asheron's Call on the Darktide server..   All these DF fanboys claim to love open pvp sandbox , no classes ,  skill based , but yet for some odd reason they're not playing AC1 darktide which is all that and has been since 1999....

It's actually pretty funny.. AC1 darktide is basically what DF wants to be... minus ship battles and mounts..  But yet nobody plays it...   should tell you what kind of road DF chose to head down..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

All the major BS that went on a few years ago have all been fixed.

Really? No more server lags or crashes?  That would be welcome news, one of the reason I left.

I can max out any toon in 2 to 3 days - By powerleveling them?  That's less attractive, I sort of like to level up in a game and enjoy it, but from what I understand everyone who joins these days gets powerleveled once they leave the starter island. (if they are smart)

I can PK people and loot them with 0 restrictions. - Did this change?  When I used to play you could loot whatever they were carrying in their backpack, but not the gear they had equipped. (was still nice though)

This sounds pretty cool, I never thought it was that bad to begin with, so if its easier, all the better.

Yep the graphics are not 2008 but look fine to me. The starter zone is not noob friendly.. who cares??? do 10 mins of reading on the SB website for starter zone help.   - Still point and click to move right?  That's gonna take some getting used to again.

Or Shadowbane might be a little to hardcore and manly for any of you. SB is 150% more hardcore than Darkfall or any game being made or out.

Now see, you were doing pretty well until this comment.   Suddenly losing interest in playing if this is the sort of attitude I can expect to find in the game.  I certainly don't need to prove my manhood in a video game. 

SB might have some great PVP in it right now, I've considered going back and joining my old guild Shadowclan there.  But its still not on the same plane as DF is supposed to be (no game is, nor am I sure any will ever be in my lifetime) but still could mean some fun.  With nothing new on the near horizon I might go back and give SB a try.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by 28days

or better yet - go play Asheron's Call on the Darktide server..   All these DF fanboys claim to love open pvp sandbox , no classes ,  skill based , but yet for some odd reason they're not playing AC1 darktide which is all that and has been since 1999....

It's actually pretty funny.. AC1 darktide is basically what DF wants to be... minus ship battles and mounts..  But yet nobody plays it...   should tell you what kind of road DF chose to head down..

Yes, there are still a few game out that offer this kind of game. It seems like all people want is graphics. There is no up to date mmo out with this style of game. Play somthing along the lines of SB, AC, a classic UO free shard.... somthing. What I really think is that SB and AC are to manly for some people.

• ElectricdawnElectricdawn Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by 28days

Yes, there are still a few game out that offer this kind of game. It seems like all people want is graphics. There is no up to date mmo out with this style of game. Play somthing along the lines of SB, AC, a classic UO free shard.... somthing. What I really think is that SB and AC are to manly for some people.

Manly? Tell me, how old are you? 13? Maybe 14?

I let you in on a little secret just in case you didn't get it while playing your "manly" game...oops, I already said it. :) Right...it's a friggen GAME. If you want to be manly, why don't you join the Marines and fight the good war in Irak or Afghanistan or where ever else Dubya is going to start another war...But be warned, there is no "respawn" in the real world...

Seriously, you kids really always make me wanting to come back to this forum. There's so much fun to be had here... :)

• weg886weg886 Member Posts: 318

Well its missing somethings like skill that drops if you dont use it  .  Full loot,  death penalty, eating and drinking,  just a few i like to see.

WWIIOnline The Real War!

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Darkfall ceased being relevant a couple years ago, as far as I am concerned. If it does ever come out, it will be released to a market that has evolved greatly from when it began production in 2001 or so, and at best this thing will come out in 2009, because I doubt in 11 months they can go from total silence to release.

Also, there will be at least three big titles that feature PvP heavily (AoC, WAR, and Aion) flooding the marketplace later this year. Granted, Darkfall does PvP differently, but it will have to do it differently enough and well enough to pull players and their guilds from other MMORPGs. I cannot speak for everyone, but if I settle in WAR, as I plan to do now, I doubt I will be leaving for anything until it bores me, which will take a while if the game is good.

Really, even if it does release, which I am highly sceptical of, I do not think it will be a success based upon what I have seen and read of it. Its ideas and goals may have been progressive and cool almost a decade ago, but now they just do not appeal to me very much in light of what else there will be. Also, a lot of concepts are now being used in AoC, it seems. Not all, but some, which is enough to steal some of Darkfall's thunder.

Darkfall's best chance of success, assuming it could have been ready on time, would have been to release in 2006. WoW had no expansion out yet, SB and DAoC were dying, and no good PvP games were on the immediate horizon. It would have been able to snag a lot of players then, even if it was not too great, but now that chance is largely gone unless it is simply amazing.

Oh well, I still like reading about this game for novelty value. Its saga is as awesome as a lot of failures, such as Gods and Heroes, Vanguard, and Dark and Light, just to name a few.