Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I Returned to SWG

DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

I played for the first 2 years and quit and just came back.

PvP is cool, if you want to spend the hours it takes to find a group and buff up for it.

You need medic buffs/ent buffs if you want to pvp, and those can take a while to find if you are returning.  If you die, you lose them, so you gotta get em all over again.

If you die you have to wait 10 mins for rez sickness to pvp again, or fly to a planet with a cantina that has ents, sometimes its impossible to find an entertainer.

But in any case, who wants to spend an hour buffing for pvp and then when you die rebuff etc?

I'm sure people who want to spend 6+ hours will find the game ok. 

The game is a joke.

I still haven't found anything diffrent or better than WoW, too bad.

Hopefully Warhammer won't disappoint otherwise I'll just start a new char on WoW when Wotlk comes out.

To those who play SWG relegiously, good for you, have fun, I sure didn't. 

Please note all of my negative comments on based on me not liking the game, so if you want to argue with me, go for it, but unfortunitly it's not gonna make the game better for me.

I did about 2-4 hours a day for 2 weeks and I'm definitly never coming back.

They need to remove the rez sickness and the fact you need to be buffed to play the game.

One think I hate about MMORPGs are silly timesinks like rez sickness/buffing.

In WoW, you wait 0-30 seconds to res, no res sickness, you do not need buffs to wtfpwn people, the response to controls, customization of the UI, and the movements/flow of the game for PvE/PvP is what makes it good, I wish other MMO's would pick up on that, until then WoW will always be the monopoly in the industry.

Oh and if you are reading this, don't bother trying Tabula Rasa, that game is the biggest joke of MMO history, plus the environment/graphics will give you a headache, not smooth at all.

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

At every cloner you'll fine a 2-1b Cloning Droid within.  Talk to that, pay it 5k credits and it will cure your sickness instantly.

Buffs are a crutch.  Many people feel they have to have buffs to PvP.  I PvP alot with no buffs other then what I have naturally and I do pretty ok.  They'll certainly improve your perfomance, but not to extreme amounts.

• Prime8Prime8 Member CommonPosts: 108

Drolkin

I agree the game is in a woefull state and I also agree that if you are serious about pvp having all those buffs is critical , getting some of the buffs is near impossible but thats ok these days finding someone to pvp with is equally nearly impossible these days on most servers .

sad days indeed for swg

• MortorinMortorin Member UncommonPosts: 46

What server were you playing on??

I just started playing again on Chimaera and there are always AT LEAST 4 ents in mos eisley cantina (sometimes 10+ at peak times), plus theres always at least 1 (usually 3) ents in dant MO. I've not been in any other cantina's so cant comment on anywhere else. Not sure about the medic buffs, but I'm sure if you joined a half decent guild it wouldnt be a problem at all.

• Jenus1Jenus1 Member Posts: 162

Thanks for clearing things up obraik.

I love it when people review the game and get their facts wrong :D

Pre-cu Fanbois,
    There will be no rollback.
    Go outside - Get a life,
    It's not coming back.
    We arn't giving you your game-back.
    So go outside, and realize that you've wasted 2 years.
    Pre-cu Fanbois.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Prime8

Drolkin

I agree the game is in a woefull state and I also agree that if you are serious about pvp having all those buffs is critical , getting some of the buffs is near impossible but thats ok these days finding someone to pvp with is equally nearly impossible these days on most servers .
    sad days indeed for swg

Huh.  I guess I imagined the PvP I just participated in Restuss on Chilly and recieved 17k GCW points for over the last 2 hours (from around 4am EST).

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

You can fight without buffs from others, just use some buff items, food and powerups and you are good to go.

Entertainer, Medic and Officer buffs are useful but it doesn't mean that shouldn't fight if you don't have them, just pay the cloner droid 5k and get right back into the fight.

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

They did in 3 waves:

1. Releasd the game.

2. They have inplanted a worthless FvsF/RvsR/PvsP system.

3. They kill´d the rest of the game. (The jedi and everything els)

Not telling anyone to get over it, becuse thats something one cant get over. But its something we all have to live whit

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I've never been a fan of buffs, except the much needed doctor buffs pre-CU, but shortly after the NGE with their medic and food revamp it got very very sickening. My main pvper was the Jedi with 16K health before buffs, people were able to reach 25K health and with their timed heals that's an infinate amount of health with the damage you can do to them. Nevermind taking your unbuffed bounty hunter and expect your target to not be buffed.

Let's not forget the officer rank buffs, any ranked level 6 and below cannot compete with colonel and general.

Buffs IS a requirement to even the playing grounds.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

stop compairing games to wow.

• rejadrejad Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by aleos

When the heads of the MMO's out there stop doing it then so will we.

• Originally posted by sookster54

I've never been a fan of buffs, except the much needed doctor buffs pre-CU, but shortly after the NGE with their medic and food revamp it got very very sickening. My main pvper was the Jedi with 16K health before buffs, people were able to reach 25K health and with their timed heals that's an infinate amount of health with the damage you can do to them. Nevermind taking your unbuffed bounty hunter and expect your target to not be buffed.

Let's not forget the officer rank buffs, any ranked level 6 and below cannot compete with colonel and general.

I actually enjoyed doing nothing but buffing back in the day when it was an art...  In the Pre-CU you had to network with the best buff crafters if you wanted to compete with other doctors, or with the gatherers if you wanted to BE one of the best buff crafter.  I took pride in always offering the best buff stats of anyone in Coronet, and in offering full services BECAUSE I WAS NEVER A BOT.

Buffs now in SWG come from magic, as there is no technology involved.

So yes, the NGE now has all-powerful buffs again (and they are essential in pvp, don't let Badger fool you, anyone unbuffed will lose to someone buffed every time) except that there is absolutely ZERO fun in them.

Buffs are nothing more than a pain in the ass as they are now. 

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455
    Originally posted by salvaje

Originally posted by sookster54

I actually enjoyed doing nothing but buffing back in the day when it was an art...  In the Pre-CU you had to network with the best buff crafters if you wanted to compete with other doctors, or with the gatherers if you wanted to BE one of the best buff crafter.  I took pride in always offering the best buff stats of anyone in Coronet, and in offering full services BECAUSE I WAS NEVER A BOT.

Buffs now in SWG come from magic, as there is no technology involved.

So yes, the NGE now has all-powerful buffs again (and they are essential in pvp, don't let Badger fool you, anyone unbuffed will lose to someone buffed every time) except that there is absolutely ZERO fun in them.

Buffs are nothing more than a pain in the ass as they are now. 

Not sure where you are getting your info from but i have beaten many peolple with lots more buffs than me, they are helpful sure (thats the point in them) but they are not an i win button or god mode, Orbaik will also testify to this. And personally, i do like going to the cantina for a bit and hanging with the ents and other peeps, chatting a bit while getting my buffs before i set out on a BH mission etc

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Hell i quit the game due to the PVP Buff Wars  that were going on when I quit u cant pvp without buffs anymore now in the game period I was on Ecplise everyone was always buffed or using cheat engine to hack their stats which is becoming common place now to cheat in pvp. due to the low server populations content has become unplayable due to the changes made in Chapter 6 difficulty increase a decison which was made on bad judgement due to fewer people playing the game now. and finally the kids playing the game very rude and obnixious with their elitism egos annoying more people into quitting. as Dr.McCoy put it "IT's Dead Jim"

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

If you think you can kill a massively buffed guy with no or just a few buffs, you must be crazy or that guy really really sucks. During my vet trial I went to GCW base on Naboo and I only had the block food and elder buff then 2 minutes later a Jedi came and his buffs filled 2 rows and I didn't have time to check how much health he had but he crit on me every single hit and didn't take much damage from me. He was also someone I have never seen before, I had perfect lightsabers and many flawless pearls from before the NGE (19-20 dmg) with Sunrider's Destiny or B'nars and he was using Windu's crystal.

Even in the combat upgrade, nobody really buffed except those spices to increase mind regeneration or health which weren't very big compared to now.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Tabula Rasa's just fine. A lot of fun, actually. "Biggest joke in MMO history?" Hardly.

And if you can't figure out how to pay the droid to heal your rez sickness ...

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

LOL you cant compair this game to wow.

wow = 9 to 10 mil subs they do post there sub numbers....

SWG = 'Bobcat' Goldthwait on drugs, you just dont know what its going to do next...

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by Mathos

LOL you cant compair this game to wow.

wow = 9 to 10 mil subs they do post there sub numbers....

SWG = 'Bobcat' Goldthwait on drugs, you just dont know what its going to do next...

swg has under 10k players at the moment.

look for a rollback or shutdown this summer.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Why?  SWG is a MMO.  WoW is a MMO.  Both are competing for a share of the MMO community.  Comparing them doesn't seem all that strange to me.

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Why?  SWG is a MMO.  WoW is a MMO.  Both are competing for a share of the MMO community.  Comparing them doesn't seem all that strange to me.

swg stopped being an mmo when the nge came out.

now it's a game like counter-strike only with no players.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

I actually came back for a few days ago, and im liking it again all over.

Don't play on the empty servers, they are a drag. I know because im normally from Kauri, the least populated server in swg.

Now im a Artisan at Bria, bria has ALOT of people.. Not as much as pre-cu/Cu but still, that server isn't  "dead"

In mos eisley you have atleast 2-5buffers that's willing to buff you around easily o.o

And for the pvp, im not much into that considering im an artisan, but the ongoing war against rebels and imperial is noticable when i get announcements of standpoints getting attacked constantly.

Im not even a us resident and yet i see lots of people all the time. So for all that needs some domestic stuff, just tell me ingame at I'mon and i'll hook you up with whatever you need from what i can supply, my friend is a ent aswell that could give you a hand if he's online.

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• Originally posted by aleos

People will stop comparing MMOs to wow when wow no longer has nearly 90% of the entire MMO market.  Until then, comparing MMOs with wow makes perfect sense.  It is the definative baseline of all MMOs, whether you like it or not.

• smg77smg77 Member Posts: 672

Originally posted by zaxxon23

People will stop comparing MMOs to wow when wow no longer has nearly 90% of the entire MMO market.  Until then, comparing MMOs with wow makes perfect sense.  It is the definative baseline of all MMOs, whether you like it or not.

And if SOE is going to copy stuff from WoW then they invite the comparison. Let's take a look at that idea for a minute...

WoW has nine classes, the NGE has nine classes.

WoW has hearthstones, the NGE has ITVs.

WoW has heroic instances, the NGE has heroic instances.

WoW has a simple kill/loot system, the NGE has a simple kill/loot system.

WoW has a transparent mount, the NGE has a transparent BARC.

WoW has three expertise trees for each class, the NGE has three expertise trees for each class.

WoW has 10 daily quests, the NGE has 10 daily quests.

WoW has 10 million people playing, the NGE has...oh wait nevermind on that one.

The sad thing is that SWG used to be a very unique game. Then the NGE turned it into a really bad WoW wannabe.

• EvilsamEvilsam Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by smg77

And if SOE is going to copy stuff from WoW then they invite the comparison. Let's take a look at that idea for a minute...

WoW has a simple kill/loot system, the NGE has a simple kill/loot system.

WoW has three expertise trees for each class, the NGE has three expertise trees for each class.

The sad thing is that SWG used to be a very unique game. Then the NGE turned it into a really bad WoW wannabe.

Ok..The 10 million  thing was actually funny

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455
    Originally posted by smg77

WoW has a simple kill/loot system, the NGE has a simple kill/loot system.Which games dont have a system where you kill something and loot it? not many.

WoW has 10 daily quests, the NGE has 10 daily quests.

Fortunately, SWG has things like the crafting system, space, player housing etc that bring it away from WoW in many senses. I dont like WoW at all, but because of things like this (and the fact that the art isnt cartoony-5 year old stuff) that i much prefer SWG to WoW.

• Arll_BebakkArll_Bebakk Member Posts: 11

WoW works

SWG is still broke after 5 years

The last of the SHDWS in Shadow Valley Cantina, Ahazi