Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

more of the same @ SWG

Comments

• murphys123murphys123 Member Posts: 216

And those people are left with their extremely unpopulated duct taped version of an MMO. Most of whom are in denial and come across laughable to the majority of people who want nothing more than SWG to be a successful game. Let them have their game...If the vast community (who now represents those no longer playing) would of been listened to, there might still be a worthwhile game out to play. I would love to see SWG make a comeback, but your post is just another example of why that is just not possible anymore.

For those people who simply like the game for what it is...I envy them. But, the people who blindly defend the state of the game and cannot swallow any criticism of the game need to recognize their extermely low standards for the blessings they are.

• jaxscorpio34jaxscorpio34 Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Raston

guess I'm weird. I always come here to research my games :)

You're not weird.  I've been playing MMO's for years and didn't know this site existed until a few weeks ago.  Anytime I've wanted to know something about a game I would just visit that games website, browse its forums, read its FAQs, etc.  If I have been doing this for years then I have to wonder how many others have been doing the same thing.  Just because some visit mmorpg to get their information about a game doesn't necessarily mean everyone does.  Those who don't are the people, like me, who would visit the official SWG website, see all the complaints and bashing going on and perhaps think twice about even trying that game.  So, my point still stands, if the SWG community wants to attract more customers to its game then they need to start by cleaning up their own back yard.  If someone posts a complaint, ignore it and let it drift off the front page.  By flaming those who complain all the folks do is make the SWG community appear angry and childish to the outside world who are reading those threads on a daily basis.

• RastonRaston Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by jaxscorpio34

guess I'm weird. I always come here to research my games :)

You're not weird.  I've been playing MMO's for years and didn't know this site existed until a few weeks ago.  Anytime I've wanted to know something about a game I would just visit that games website, browse its forums, read its FAQs, etc.  If I have been doing this for years then I have to wonder how many others have been doing the same thing.  Just because some visit mmorpg to get their information about a game doesn't necessarily mean everyone does.  Those who don't are the people, like me, who would visit the official SWG website, see all the complaints and bashing going on and perhaps think twice about even trying that game.  So, my point still stands, if the SWG community wants to attract more customers to its game then they need to start by cleaning up their own back yard.  If someone posts a complaint, ignore it and let it drift off the front page.  By flaming those who complain all the folks do is make the SWG community appear angry and childish to the outside world who are reading those threads on a daily basis.

Oh, I wasn't saying anything about those who research their games through the respective websites.  I tend to start my search here and then move on to the those same sites for the ones of interest.  I was stating that I'm sure I'm an oddity in that endeavor as you said, not everyone knows about this site (I've been a lurker for years, but only recently began to more actively post)

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Originally posted by saay

Can i get a link to this? this doesnt sound like the community i play with, but theres always some i guess. The block thing is bound to cause a bit of a stir at first, because of the amount of players it affects, but people are starting to realise that it isnt such a huge thing, and that its a good thing becuase it was a bit overpowered beforehand -block suits are still very viable in PvP and PvE, its not as though they are useless now.

Hi saay.  Here's the link you requested: http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=585317

The criticisms and namecalling start pretty much right away, and add up quickly as you scroll through the posts.  It's a sad state of affairs.   Your perspective here is expressed in a more helpful way I think.

I think you would probably notice what I'm highlighting more if you started posting questions about changes, or if you tried to highlight some of the game's current issues.  That seems to be when people will try to silence you through some kind of verbal abuse, and the moderators over there won't stop them.

I don't recommend you doing this though if you're enjoying yourself.  I'd say, just have fun and stay out of the line of fire.

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455

Can i get a link to this? this doesnt sound like the community i play with, but theres always some i guess. The block thing is bound to cause a bit of a stir at first, because of the amount of players it affects, but people are starting to realise that it isnt such a huge thing, and that its a good thing becuase it was a bit overpowered beforehand -block suits are still very viable in PvP and PvE, its not as though they are useless now.
    If people truly want to know the state of the game and its community, all they need to do is go read the official forums for a week or two.  I've read many, many negative posts there in the last few weeks.  Quite often, posts start off with a simple request to fix something about the game and devolve into "if you don't like it gtfo noob" or other colorful comments.  The reason you don't see this negativity is because you choose not to see it.  Rest assured, however, others can and do see it and it paints a very poor image of the game and the general attitude of  its current playerbase.

By the way, you might want to remind all those guys on the official forums that their forums are currently  public and everything they say there, negative or otherwise, has the potential to attract or drive away more customers than anything we say on a forum such as this.  When people want to know what's happening in WoW they go to worldofwarcraft.com.  When they want to know what's happening in Star Wars Galaxies, they go to starwarsgalaxies.com.  Only a handful would come to a site like mmorpg instead of the main site when researching a game they're interested in playing.

Err no, i actually dont see this sort of thing, im either on gameplay discussion, my server forums or in hints and tips so id really appreciate a link to this post with this supposed plethora of ingorant insults.

Err no, i actually dont see this sort of thing, im either on gameplay discussion, my server forums or in hints and tips so id really appreciate a link to this post with this supposed plethora of ingorant insults.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you do not see it because you choose not to. I don't play the game but I do monitor the forums.  If I can see the flame wars going on then rest assured, others can too.  Some of those "others" might have been potential customers you wanted to attract but only drove away because of the general level of contempt you all hold for other players on those forums.  I am actually quite surprised SOE hasn't gone back to the days of making their forums private and requiring a subscription to access them as they did back in the very, very early days of SWG.  At least that would prevent potential customers from seeing the constant flame wars that erupt between players who appear to have such contempt for one another that it's hard to believe they all play the same game. 

The SWG official forum trolls' stance on bugs in the game:  If there's a bug in the game you don't like then your best bet is to quit the game because posting about it on their forums will only start a flame war that ends with all the fanbois calling you a noob and telling you if you don't like it to GTFO.  So please, save them from the agony of getting carple tunnel.  Hit cancel and leave them in peace.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I agree that the official forums is pretty bad, back in the days I thought the forums were bad (Jedi forum was rather hostile) but this is worse, when I open up general discussion and see a thread that's filling up then later on that day it's been deleted- the mods delete ALOT of threads on a daily basis. If you go to general off-topic or general star wars, there's alot of talk about Bioware's next MMO and how SWG is on the virge of dying which takes longer for mods to find and delete.

Right now general discussion has been getting flooded with the block nerf complaint and I can't blame them one bit since Blixtev 3 months ago did say they knew about it and wasn't going to do anything about it right away which led to the fact that most players piled up on their expensive block suits. What gets me is how the devs let the block miscoding get past them on test months ago.

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

If people truly want to know the state of the game and its community, all they need to do is go read the official forums for a week or two.  I've read many, many negative posts there in the last few weeks.  Quite often, posts start off with a simple request to fix something about the game and devolve into "if you don't like it gtfo noob" or other colorful comments.  The reason you don't see this negativity is because you choose not to see it.  Rest assured, however, others can and do see it and it paints a very poor image of the game and the general attitude of  its current playerbase.

By the way, you might want to remind all those guys on the official forums that their forums are currently  public and everything they say there, negative or otherwise, has the potential to attract or drive away more customers than anything we say on a forum such as this.  When people want to know what's happening in WoW they go to worldofwarcraft.com.  When they want to know what's happening in Star Wars Galaxies, they go to starwarsgalaxies.com.  Only a handful would come to a site like mmorpg instead of the main site when researching a game they're interested in playing.

Denial saay its not just a river in Egypt, lol to any reading this forum you do more damage to your cause then good, keep it up bud your worth ten nerfs in game....

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

The issue with the block nerf is that it is the same old, same old with SOE.  That is what frustrates people.  Remember, the people who started playing NGE now have roughly the same amount of time (if not more) invested in SWG as pre-CU vets.  They are seeing the continuous failure of SOE devs to test thoroughly and their resultant nerfs after a few months when players have gathered the resources to exploit the devs failure.  The devs did the same thing with parry 3-4 months ago.  It's also a failure of the community to let go of the alpha class mentality that the old Jedi system instilled in the player base.  The difference now is that you can be an alpha class if you have the in game credits to make one, rather than having to actually grind one.

• EchobeEchobe Member Posts: 262

If you think that's bad, you shoulda been around when the CH wars were in full swing. Man, I can still hear the bombs and rockets of words exploding in my mind. It was a merciless assault on the senses that you were powerless to stop. I'll never forget the bodies of my fellow MCH's piled around me when the nerf-bomb came and wiped us out. Shadows of Grauls - Mauler's and Babies alike - are forever burned into the lands of Dantooine.

Oh man the Beast Wars days were great.  Anyone else remember the cowardly gurrack being three or four stories tall when full grown?  Good times...good times.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Ah yes...the receint questions and concerns about the pending "Fix" to the Block Modifier.

The problem with the forums at SW:G is the majority of the people that flame anyone that brings up a concern or a complaint about whatever it might be are people that are "Elders" from before the NGE.

I play and played Pre-CU. I have 2 active accounts currently.

I will post a bitch about changes.  I will ask questions about game design and things that do or don't make sense.

The whiners can F off for all I care, here or there.  People are allowed their opinions regardless of if it is aggreeed with or not.

I agree with the OP that the (for the most part if your not in the GAT) forum community over there these days is just like the forum community here.  Half intelligent and half stupid.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Oh man the Beast Wars days were great.  Anyone else remember the cowardly gurrack being three or four stories tall when full grown?  Good times...good times.

Yeah, after it was made so that anyone could have a pet follow them around, so long as it was CL 15 or below, the cowardly gurreck was the pet all the non-CHs wanted to have.  They made for decent low-level tanks,particulrly for pure crafters who wanted a bodyguard for harvester runs.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

Originally posted by hipiap

Ah yes...the receint questions and concerns about the pending "Fix" to the Block Modifier.

The problem with the forums at SW:G is the majority of the people that flame anyone that brings up a concern or a complaint about whatever it might be are people that are "Elders" from before the NGE.

I will post a bitch about changes.  I will ask questions about game design and things that do or don't make sense.

The whiners can F off for all I care, here or there.  People are allowed their opinions regardless of if it is aggreeed with or not.

I agree with the OP that the (for the most part if your not in the GAT) forum community over there these days is just like the forum community here.  Half intelligent and half stupid.

I'd rather be in a community that is half intelligent and half stupid than one that is full stupid.  But color me strange like that  

I'd rather be in a community that is half intelligent and half stupid than one that is full stupid.  But color me strange like that  

I am sure the WoW community never did a thing to you and here you go and insult them like that.  Geez.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

There's a thread asking for a new engine in the SWG general forums, oh geez.

/rolleyes

Originally posted by sookster54

There's a thread asking for a new engine in the SWG general forums, oh geez.

/rolleyes

I still say, if the staff at SOE had the sense God gave a goose they'd make the forums private so the outside world couldn't view what was happening in the game or see any of the complaints in general discussion.  Oh well, I guess we should all be greatful that SOE recruits its employees from Poo Flinger's Short Bus School of Game Development & Marketing.

I posted the link for you if you scroll up a bit.   What really stands out to me about the thread is that the OP isn't even negatively affected by the lost modifiers.  He's not crying or whining at all.  He noticed something was going to have a negative impact on the game community, he critiques the implementation plan, and asks if there is some way to lessen the pain of the transition.  For attempting to be constructive, he gets mutilitated.  Like I said, been there, done that, didn't like it, it's still happening, same old @ SWG, unfortunately.

Originally posted by hipiap

So now you're blaming elder veterans for the hostile and derogatory posts?   I guess if they get blamed for the CU, the NGE and the current state of the game, we might as well blame them for all the "stop whining or get the heck out posts" on the SOE boards too.  Oh wait, I thought the stop whining posts were written TO the elder vets, not BY them.  And I thought you wrote one of those and posted over here just the other day...  Something about how us vets should stop whining and moaning, and about how we have no life away from the computer, and are too bitter or chicken to try out SWG....again.  I think you need to look at this situation through less distorted lenses. 

In fact to confirm my hunch, I checked and found that the guy who made the original post asking for some options to help people that were about to lose a lot of investment on mods was a pre-NGE "elder" player. 

So you just blamed this problem on the victim, fyi.   

I am sure the WoW community never did a thing to you and here you go and insult them like that.  Geez.

heh, not the community I was thinking of, but hey it works too :)

Anyways, you'd be wrong...  In my attempt of WoW, the community scarred me with such things as Leroy Jenkins, Confuses Says jokes, Chuck Norris and other vastly bland and completely unfunny humor...  and this was on the RP server, I'd hate to see the normal ones.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by ArcAngel3

So I popped over to the SOE boards to see what all the hubbub is lately around some recent nerf.  I guess the devs gave players a block ability; they now think it's overpowered,and they're toning it down some.  What makes this a bit more tense it seems is that players put really expensive mods into the block ability, and now feel that they have been wasted.
    So I read a post where some guy is wanting the option of using his mods on something else in light of the change.  Sounds like a reasonable request to me.  The answers from other players are what prompted me to write this post.  The guy that was asking for a way to move his mods was:
    -called a noob,
    -called a whiner,
    -told to stop crying,
    -blamed for the nerf,
    -told that people like him are to be blamed for the CU,
    -told that people like him are to be blamed for the NGE,
    -told that people were stupid for spending 100 million on mods in the first place,
    -told that he was just crying because he lost his "I win" button.
    What is that, some kind of script you have to memorize if you want to support the way SOE manages the game?  "Anytime people raise a concern about a game change, make sure you call them  noobs, call them whiners, tell them to stop crying, blame them for the NGE etc. etc."  These were the responses when people raised concerns about the CU.  These were the responses when people raised concerns about the NGE.  These were the responses when people raised concerns about deletion of faction status.  These were the responses when people raised concerns about (insert pretty much anything you want here--collision detection, group xp nerf etc..
    Man, that is one unfriendly community atmosphere if you ask me.  It's just one more thing working against any chance of the game growing, and it's one more thing SOE needs to work to clean up: a history of divisive game changes, and of letting people who raise concerns get mutilitated by their peers.
    It's a big reason the game is so empty now. Who would want to play a game were the community is so hostile? Like I would ever want to go back to listen to that. Ya hear that Obraik?

SOE has helped to create the worst community divide ever. It used to be one of the best. No way any of us would go back to that even if we wanted to play. People I thought were friends turned out to be a-hats, and all because I refused to go along with their (SOE's) constant changes.

Lots of people started out voicing their opinions in a decent way, but then you get that what the OP gives as an example and your whole attitude towards the game, SOE, and the players changes instantly.    It was like these hostile players came out of no-where and started ambushing vets to force them out, like they didn't want us playing. you know? the ones who would say

"Just STFU and leave"

"Slit wrists"

"CRY MORE" 

"If you hate the game then why play? leave already"

I guess we will all just leave then since no one wants to hear our ideas on what we want out of the game. They got what they wanted, the game they wanted, the low community population ect. Now they are all pissy about how emtpy servers are? It all makes no sense. Have fun playing your empty game.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

So I popped over to the SOE boards to see what all the hubbub is lately around some recent nerf.  I guess the devs gave players a block ability; they now think it's overpowered,and they're toning it down some.  What makes this a bit more tense it seems is that players put really expensive mods into the block ability, and now feel that they have been wasted.
    So I read a post where some guy is wanting the option of using his mods on something else in light of the change.  Sounds like a reasonable request to me.  The answers from other players are what prompted me to write this post.  The guy that was asking for a way to move his mods was:
    -called a noob,
    -called a whiner,
    -told to stop crying,
    -blamed for the nerf,
    -told that people like him are to be blamed for the CU,
    -told that people like him are to be blamed for the NGE,
    -told that people were stupid for spending 100 million on mods in the first place,
    -told that he was just crying because he lost his "I win" button.
    What is that, some kind of script you have to memorize if you want to support the way SOE manages the game?  "Anytime people raise a concern about a game change, make sure you call them  noobs, call them whiners, tell them to stop crying, blame them for the NGE etc. etc."  These were the responses when people raised concerns about the CU.  These were the responses when people raised concerns about the NGE.  These were the responses when people raised concerns about deletion of faction status.  These were the responses when people raised concerns about (insert pretty much anything you want here--collision detection, group xp nerf etc..
    Man, that is one unfriendly community atmosphere if you ask me.  It's just one more thing working against any chance of the game growing, and it's one more thing SOE needs to work to clean up: a history of divisive game changes, and of letting people who raise concerns get mutilitated by their peers.
    It's a big reason the game is so empty now. Who would want to play a game were the community is so hostile? Like I would ever want to go back to listen to that. Ya hear that Obraik?

SOE has helped to create the worst community divide ever. It used to be one of the best. No way any of us would go back to that even if we wanted to play. People I thought were friends turned out to be a-hats, and all because I refused to go along with their (SOE's) constant changes.

Lots of people started out voicing their opinions in a decent way, but then you get that what the OP gives as an example and your whole attitude towards the game, SOE, and the players changes instantly.    It was like these hostile players came out of no-where and started ambushing vets to force them out, like they didn't want us playing. you know? the ones who would say

"Just STFU and leave"

"Slit wrists"

"CRY MORE" 

"If you hate the game then why play? leave already"

I guess we will all just leave then since no one wants to hear our ideas on what we want out of the game. They got what they wanted, the game they wanted, the low community population ect. Now they are all pissy about how emtpy servers are? It all makes no sense. Have fun playing your empty game.

Yup, that about sums it up doesn't it, and it hasn't changed.  Don't forget that many of us started with the feedback in response to Smed's "open letter to the community" asking for just that kind of input.  He asked what would make the game playable after the NGE wrecked it, and we told him.  I barely even read the SOE boards before that.  I was busy enjoying myself.  When we provided the feedback we were asked for we got flamed to high hell, modded and ignored.  And yes, I'm sure that just increased the exodus from the game.  And as for returning, who in their right mind wants to go back to that? 

If SOE really wants to know why people avoid SWG like the plague, there's plenty of helpful information available, if they're willing to actually see it.

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455
    Originally posted by Mathos

Denial saay its not just a river in Egypt, lol to any reading this forum you do more damage to your cause then good, keep it up bud your worth ten nerfs in game....

How am i denying it? im asking for proof. (someone said they posted the link but i cant find it) And id appreciate if you would refrain from posting useless posts like this, and how exactly am i damaging my cause by stating that i dont usually see this sort of thing often hence why  i would like to have a look, think before you post is the lesson here.

• RazotRazot Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Mathos

How am i denying it? im asking for proof. (someone said they posted the link but i cant find it) And id appreciate if you would refrain from posting useless posts like this, and how exactly am i damaging my cause by stating that i dont usually see this sort of thing often hence why  i would like to have a look, think before you post is the lesson here.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=585317

you guys are like a cult!

game should change name to Jonestown Galaxies..

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

if I tell you what I think about this type of peeps I'll earn a justified warning, so I better dont say anything.