Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about comming back

EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482

To start this off this is a question based on the game as it is today. If anyone mentions PRE-NGE as an answer without attaching it to reason regaurding the current gameplay of the game. I will not look back here again as it has NOTHING to do with my questions pertaining here. I do not care how the devs "wronged us" in the past nor do i care how much sadness and anger you feel towards SOE i do not share your opinion and my questions have nothing to do with any of that nonsense.

Also I will attach my history with this game. I played since Closed Beta right up untill NGE came out. I had a jedi I did the grind I experienced the game as it originially started out. I also was hurt a tad when the game changed because i did miss some of the aspects that were removed. I recently came back about I dunno 6 months or so ago out of a lul in the MMO market. I have to admit I did enjoy the game in its current state then. I did not mind the UI and I did not mind the changes in the system. I cannot say I like it better nor can i say i like it worse... it's just Different and i did enjoy my time there i believe I got to about lvl 35 (don't remember exactly it was a time ago)

Anywho my questions are simple. I noticed when i returned that time that The world was not dead like some claim actually on an average I saw alot of people even when out in the middle of god knows where i could always find at least 1 or 2 other players finagaling about. My problem though was although i met lots of nice people and those willing to help i never really found people doing... groupy type things like runs for quests or grind sessions. Is there a good way to find these?

Another would be i noticed when i was back the Long storyline quests for the different factions were not there the Darth vader type questlines (don't be angry i can't remember the name of those). Have they brought them back?

Also i like playing a social character. like a medic or a Officer (officer was the one i took to 35). Are these in need these days? are people looking for classes like this for groups regulaurly? or do people mostly solo the entire time?

When i played recently I didn't have alot of time at the moment and didn't really give it my all with the searching for a community and such i pretty much just played sparingly. But this time i would like to actually give it my MMO shot.

One more question. I noticed theres really only 1 sort of armor people use i'm sure you all know the one i'm talking about. I never really looked more into it but is this truely the case still? or have armor options opened up a tad in terms of look? (i can be kinda vain sometimes when it comes to my MMO avatar). And lastly is Starsider still the RP home?

Thank you for all your help in advance and Please for the love of everything no comments about how you think this games sucks i am NOT looking for your oppinion on the game i'm looking for specific answers to specific questions regaurding the game AS IT IS TODAY. I know your pain with PreNGE but i'm concerned with these specific questions i asked. Thank you in advance for respecting my wish for answers and your respect in keeping to the topic at hand.

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

The earlier levels you're probably not going to find much in the way of group activity as the majority of that stuff is soloable.  You'll probably find people that are up to the same quest section as you are will be willing to join up with you.  As you move into the higher levels and the quests get more difficult you'll find yourself grouping up more.  Many guilds run grinding events though where they go out and do group acitivites to help their lower level guildies Level up - could be worth looking for such a guild.

In the end game at least (I can't say much about the lower and mid game as I haven't been in that part for a very long time), Officers and Medics definetly play an important part and many times required part of the end-game content whether it be PvP or PvE. 

Battle type armour tends to be the more favoured armour due to its even protections, however through the use of layers, the other 2 armour types can be equalled as well - they just won't be quite as high after the layering as a battle type.  You do see a pretty decent variety of armour being worn though as many have the same thoughts as you when it comes to style :)

• Thunder_birdThunder_bird Member Posts: 47

As for the faction Dath vader quests are you referring to when he randomly lands in corellia theed or bestine? there are two ways i know of to get darth vader quests currently, When he randomly lands in a city, and the new imperial themepark at the emperor's retreat.

Yes Starsider is still the unofficcial RP and Space server, if you playing on starsider hit me up (Tbird in game) and i could hook you up with my guild

• The game still lacks:

1. A functional UI that works on install without spending hours writing macros, remapping keys, and installing mods.

2. Mobs that obey the same line of sight rules you have to.

3. Animations

4. NGE combat is still the default.  The UI controls for auto aim and fire still suck and wont' work sensibly or by default.

5. Quality control or consistency.  The Devs still put things into the game and let it stay in for months (over half a year in the case of block) then will suddenly ninja nerf.  They still invalidate progress, I think because they want to invalidate your gear so you are constantly on the gear grind/buy treadmill.

6. Content.  That is unless you like endless scavenger hunts for low drop rate crap (collections) and standing around for a half hour beating on million HP mobs (heroic encounters).  Oh, and in typical SOE fashion, the most desirable "collections" can't be completed.

7. Players.  Server populations are at their lowest level ever, only 3-4 servers have any sort of population at all, and they are way down from pre NGE.

8.  A future.  I anticipate a shutdown announcement any day now.

• Thunder_birdThunder_bird Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by salvaje

The game still lacks:
    1. A functional UI that works on install without spending hours writing macros, remapping keys, and installing mods.
    2. Mobs that obey the same line of sight rules you have to.
    3. Animations
    4. NGE combat is still the default.  The UI controls for auto aim and fire still suck and wont' work sensibly or by default.
    5. Quality control or consistency.  The Devs still put things into the game and let it stay in for months (over half a year in the case of block) then will suddenly ninja nerf.  They still invalidate progress, I think because they want to invalidate your gear so you are constantly on the gear grind/buy treadmill.
    6. Content.  That is unless you like endless scavenger hunts for low drop rate crap (collections) and standing around for a half hour beating on million HP mobs (heroic encounters).  Oh, and in typical SOE fashion, the most desirable "collections" can't be completed.
    7. Players.  Server populations are at their lowest level ever, only 3-4 servers have any sort of population at all, and they are way down from pre NGE.
    8.  A future.  I anticipate a shutdown announcement any day now.

1. Yes because we all know it takes hours to type 

/say lol

/macro saylol

or hours to rebind keys

even if it the UI dosent work for you, get a mod for the pre-cu interface, oh but that takes hours to download and move to your swg folder

2.TCPrime/TestCenter Update Notes - December 20, 2007

Creatures now obey line of sight rules when calling for help.

3.AdeptStrain wrote:

So, I was going to save this for the dev chat tonight - but instead maybe it'll generate more questions.

So yesterday I actually fixed an issue where skill animations for 1 handed swords/lightsabers and 2 handed swords/lightsabers weren't getting loaded correctly. You'll notice, once the update patch hits at the end of this cycle, that if you do a skill with one of those weapons - you'll get a proper animation instead of just sitting there like a bump on a log. I was doing a 4 hit combo animation(old school TK style) yesterday with my spy using Assassinate and I have to say it looked great.

What does that mean for the future? Well, it depends if your skill + weapon already has an animation assigned to it. Some classes *cough* Jedi *cough* have had their animations completely screwed up, but it is something Blixtev and myself are going to try and add back in soon. Its just a matter of finding animations that fit the new speed and trying a few things out. The point is we are making some great progress with regard to animation and hopefully things will be looking much better soon.

I'll be at the chat tonight so bring all your animation questions and join in.

4. OK...

5. The block changes occoured in chapter 7, chapter 7 went live november 1st, 2007 It is now January 26th 2008 yeah half a year  Either way do you think its a good idea to allow people to run around witha block suit thatlets you block 70% of all attacks? again:

6.  Collections are NOT necissary to compete in ANYTHING, except perhaps jedi meditate, and thats only a four miniute buff, so not really. Collections merely give you something to do when grinding. As for heroics the strpmgest mob in the game is now axkva min, and it takes like 3 miniutes to take her down. Get your facts straight and stop exagerrating.

7. Starsider isnt even one of the "3-4 servers with any population at all" 

8. people have been saying that since the game opened, its not happening any time soon.

What is your point?

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

If you are actually a veteran player interested in returning, then the best advice I could tell you is try a free vet trial (again) on your account and take a good look at what is going on at the offcial SWG  forum boards to gauge the game status and the climate of the community AS IT IS TODAY. You will also find the details and FAQs of current game play. This will allow you to find the answers you seek without wearing rose tinted glasses or the bias of earlier incarnations of the game. 

If you just recently played, then you already know what you need to know, and you know what you need to do given your game time constraints and social 'needs'.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Hey Thunder_bird,

What special event brought all those people together in your screenshot?

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

Originally posted by Suvroc

Hey Thunder_bird,
    What special event brought all those people together in your screenshot?

PLEASE EVERYONE ON STARSIDER, in a effort to stop SWG from being shut down we need everyone on server to cluster so I can take a screenshot in a pathetic attempt to drag suckers back into paying SOE for broken beta.

SWG is way too full of fail.

SOE waisted years of my time ruining almost every item I had not to mention all the characters I put time into with a secret sudden change baiting and switching their player base selling a product then ruining many things that expansion included. Terrible work. Never will I play another SOE product no matter what it is.

Then take the code itself, a many times over patch stacked bug filled mess. They even admitted to taking the CHEAPER route in not making a new code for the so called "fast action iconic" changes.

I would explain that desicion to making a airplane by strapping wings on a buss instead of designing a plane from the start.

This is NOT the Starwars game your looking for.....Move along....Move along...

• EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482

To everyone who helped answer my questions thank you very much.

To those who still ignored the topic and posted how much they don't like the game ANYWAY thanks for the disrespect.

like i said i like the game as it is  (if you do not thats your thing not mine)

The questions i asked did get answered thank you once again

The darth vader things i was talking about where the LONG faction based quest lines where you gained things like tie fighter armor and whent through very deep story based quest lines.

Did they re add those recently?

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Thunder_Bird, I just love it when people post screenshots like that, especially when a pile of people are in the middle of NOWHERE like that one, they're obviously a special or live event. Starsider I have seen hit medium plenty of times, but even when Lowca is very light most of the time, there can be that many people in your screenshot on almost any server when there's a scheduled event.

• ErikmichealErikmicheal Member Posts: 80

Anywho my questions are simple. I noticed when i returned that time that The world was not dead like some claim actually on an average I saw alot of people even when out in the middle of god knows where i could always find at least 1 or 2 other players finagaling about. My problem though was although i met lots of nice people and those willing to help i never really found people doing... groupy type things like runs for quests or grind sessions. Is there a good way to find these?
    On the game forums you will find a guild recruiting page on each server galaxy. They are fairly updated and u will see what u seek quickly.
                  Another would be i noticed when i was back the Long storyline quests for the different factions were not there the Darth vader type questlines (don't be angry i can't remember the name of those). Have they brought them back?
    Yes they have been remade just talk to all the npcs in the area's and you will start the quest line.Dont forget they will not talk to you uness your combatent or SF.
                  Also i like playing a social character. like a medic or a Officer (officer was the one i took to 35). Are these in need these days? are people looking for classes like this for groups regulaurly? or do people mostly solo the entire time?
    As of now ALL the professions are useful in their own way. For the spy tho it may be difficult to get into a high level instance. Also Jedi are being turned away from groups as well. Officer is great for group buffs and medic ..well u always need medics.
                   One more question. I noticed theres really only 1 sort of armor people use i'm sure you all know the one i'm talking about. I never really looked more into it but is this truely the case still? or have armor options opened up a tad in terms of look? (i can be kinda vain sometimes when it comes to my MMO avatar). And lastly is Starsider still the RP home?
     Armor has really opened up to whatever the AS crafts and what you are trying to acheive. Its not uncommon for people to have 3 types of armor on them at all times. Since they brought in an RE system that you can customize your armor and clothes stats style of armor is mearly a prefernce now. As usual DWB armor and the like are still sought after.
    Far as RP again all about the guild and check out the server event page and see whos doing the most to answer that for yourself. Good Luck and enjoy!!

• EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482

Thank you for the very helpfull answer i'm in process of reinstallation now!

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Everith

The darth vader things i was talking about where the LONG faction based quest lines where you gained things like tie fighter armor and whent through very deep story based quest lines.
    Did they re add those recently?

The Rebel and Imperial Theme Parks were revamped recently and now offer high level PvE group content, you can find more info in these guides:

Rebel Theme Park Walkthrough

Imperial Theme Park Walkthrough 

Welcome back to SWG, Everith!

• Jenus1Jenus1 Member Posts: 162

Welcome back to SWG mate, I have a-lot of vets joining the guild i am in recently so if your on chilastra and need one, hit me up :)

Pre-cu Fanbois,
    There will be no rollback.
    Go outside - Get a life,
    It's not coming back.
    We arn't giving you your game-back.
    So go outside, and realize that you've wasted 2 years.
    Pre-cu Fanbois.