Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Vanguard be like EQ2 in 2-3 years?

Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

As much as I feel sick even thinking about this game with its disgusting launch, the TV quality drama around Sigil and its crazy nightmare mismanagement and being ripped off of 60 bucks, there's one thing that keeps me keeping tabs on this game: that in several years it might be at the same quality as Everquest 2. That's a hell of a long time, but I remember playing Everquest 2 at launch and was horrified at how bad it was. I didn't make it past the 10 days of the trial.  I didnt come back till I heard about its pretty drastic changes and continue to play the game now. EQ2 is a bloody good game, the best MMORPG out there at the moment. I don't like SOE and its non-existant customer service, but SOE proved it could turn a bloody disaster into something pretty darn OK if they put effort into it. So....will Vanguard go through a similar process, repair itself of its terrible flaws over a few years and become something rather good, even better then EQ2? Vanguard has interesting classes and class progression, that I must admit. It's a shell of a game right now and even though I tried some of the free playtime ex-players got and saw very little improvement (why they decided to give out free playtime in its current state is beyond me, its still bad) I still think it might become something decent.

I don't think EQ2 evertruly recovered from its bad launch, but its gained back alot of new and old subscribers, especially since RoK ,and turning in a pretty good profit. Will Vanguard regain some measure of its reputation, or will it continue to be a butt of all jokes down the track? What do you all seriously think? I am torn because this game because is freakin' bad, but I still see the potential and what it could be in a few years...but who the hell wants to wait that long.

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Can you be more specific and say which parts of it are "freakin bad" ?

REALITY CHECK

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975
    Originally posted by Thillian

Can you be more specific and say which parts of it are "freakin bad" ?

Why do you bother Thillian , who cares what the guy thinks .

• UgaritUgarit Member Posts: 213

Yes tutu

Imo Vanguard gonna be the next Everquest, in 1/2 years. I'm sure about that. This game is simpl y great but dev needs time to improve + dev new quests and raids.

Imo VG is actually a beta1.

GU4 could be BETA2

and GU5/6+ = beta3 then final release. (GU6 or 7 imo)

Prod is actually testing the Pve european server; critic problems aren't fixed yet.

But you can trust me: if vanguard survives to Aoc, War and AION, he is going to be the next Everquest. one of the greatest PVE MMO's

• HelternHeltern Member Posts: 193

WHAAA< someone says some thing TRUE about this festering piece of crap game and the Vanbois come up with this? The game is awful, will always be awful, and SOE won't do a lot to a game thats loses money but steal some of the few good devs for its flagship EQ2 and let this game die its death.

Look at it this way WoWplayers wouldn't be interested in Vanguard, so where do we get players? EQ1 or EQ2? Why would SOE want to do that? 

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Tutu2

As much as I feel sick even thinking about this game with its disgusting launch, the TV quality drama around Sigil and its crazy nightmare mismanagement and being ripped off of 60 bucks, there's one thing that keeps me keeping tabs on this game: that in several years it might be at the same quality as Everquest 2. That's a hell of a long time, but I remember playing Everquest 2 at launch and was horrified at how bad it was. I didn't make it past the 10 days of the trial.  I didnt come back till I heard about its pretty drastic changes and continue to play the game now. EQ2 is a bloody good game, the best MMORPG out there at the moment. I don't like SOE and its non-existant customer service, but SOE proved it could turn a bloody disaster into something pretty darn OK if they put effort into it. So....will Vanguard go through a similar process, repair itself of its terrible flaws over a few years and become something rather good, even better then EQ2? Vanguard has interesting classes and class progression, that I must admit. It's a shell of a game right now and even though I tried some of the free playtime ex-players got and saw very little improvement (why they decided to give out free playtime in its current state is beyond me, its still bad) I still think it might become something decent.
    I don't think EQ2 evertruly recovered from its bad launch, but its gained back alot of new and old subscribers, especially since RoK ,and turning in a pretty good profit. Will Vanguard regain some measure of its reputation, or will it continue to be a butt of all jokes down the track? What do you all seriously think? I am torn because this game because is freakin' bad, but I still see the potential and what it could be in a few years...but who the hell wants to wait that long.

I hope not.  As much as I wanted to love EQ2, I never liked that game.  I was bored with it for the entire 8 months I forced myself to play it.   With Vanguard, I'm as happy as a kid in the candy store and hopefully it doesn't go the way of EQ2.

Originally posted by Heltern

WHAAA< someone says some thing TRUE about this festering piece of crap game and the Vanbois come up with this? The game is awful, will always be awful, and SOE won't do a lot to a game thats loses money but steal some of the few good devs for its flagship EQ2 and let this game die its death.

Look at it this way WoWplayers wouldn't be interested in Vanguard, so where do we get players? EQ1 or EQ2? Why would SOE want to do that? 

No its because i remember the guy hanging around here bashing the game in the past  and i dont believe one word he says about retrying it and not finding any difference and if that is the case, i would say the only thing that hasnt changed is the guys computer

Alot of people dont like the game that reminds them there computer needs upgraded , I say if you refuse to turn your settings down to a level your computer can  handle , than your asking for problems . oh and have fun playing any games that come out in 2008

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

EQ2 is not good though because the population is sooo low that you can't get a group unless your at the end game. This is how Vanguard is tbh try and be a new player and getting a group is impossible........ Hey that goes for every mmorpg (but WOW) with the level system in place ebcause it's a deeply flawed system.

Originally posted by slannmage

EQ2 is not good though because the population is sooo low that you can't get a group unless your at the end game. This is how Vanguard is tbh try and be a new player and getting a group is impossible........ Hey that goes for every mmorpg (but WOW) with the level system in place ebcause it's a deeply flawed system.

Actually your wrong i went back to wow for a few months to give vanguard a little time to sort things out and it was the same way . i had never played the Burning crusade so i rolled one of each new races and they where about the same as vanguard or any game really ,very few people in them

So i thought well all level my grand marshal rogue up to 70 and see what its like , groups where pretty time consuming to get even for there 5 mans you could stay on all day and you where lucky if you got a group for any of them And try and get a group for one of thier quests chains like the one for the neather drake you had to hang out in that zone for weeks before you ever got a group to do them . Thing is most people are  max level and to busy running the lamest thing ive ever seen in a game which is daily quests for gold  My server use to be high pop , but was med when i went back

All in all i would say both games where about the same for getting groups theres groups there but dont exspect them to find you if your not putting a little effort into creating your own

Edit: And another thing about WOW heres a game thats set up perfectly for people to use you without any intention of helping you anymore than they have to. About eight out of every ten groups you get theres one or more people that just want to run it till they see if the drop there after,does in fact drop The smart ones would tell you oh sorry guys i have to go right after you kill the second boss am really sorry , but most where to stupid they would say guys am really sorry but i have to go right after this boss. at which time i would say than you may as well leave right now because am not killing this boss just to see if you get what your after.Go will find a replacement but usually you couldnt and that was the end of the group real fun game lol

• erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395

Originally posted by slannmage

that bullshit, even a 7year old game like daoc and anarchy online have enough players to have fun in th 1st 10 levels. hell i levelled level 1-14 tonight on my nightshade in daoc classic and it was packed since i dinged level 5 when you start to look for groups.. spend all evening pvping and went to level 14 only pvping.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

Originally posted by swede2

No its because i remember the guy hanging around here bashing the game in the past  and i dont believe one word he says about retrying it and not finding any difference and if that is the case, i would say the only thing that hasnt changed is the guys computer

Alot of people dont like the game that reminds them there computer needs upgraded , I say if you refuse to turn your settings down to a level your computer can  handle , than your asking for problems . oh and have fun playing any games that come out in 2008

Yes I retried it. I can't prove it to you, but I actually reinstall the game waited pretty much an entire day for all the damn updates, then logged onto my rogue and druid. They are level 12 and 14, not very high, but I felt so bored at my current level. I'll also say my computer can run VG, although it is choppy at times. I personally did not notice any technical improvement, but at least I could run the darn thing.

I was kind of shocked because I noticed very little difference when I retried it, the UI still feels unpolished, there is no new character animations, still the really embarassing ones from launch, awful voice acting, really boring generic quests..where's the "next-gen" stuff like ship combat....basically the thing still feels very unpolished and unprofessional. And its been a year. I know they reworked alot of the classes, I noticed alot of improvement with my rogue since launch....but why the hell did they release free playtime in its current state? I personally think it was the worst move they could have done. Its not ready for *any* free playtime for anyone. Now they have probably driven more ex-players away.

And yes I was very angry at the game and bashed it alot in the past...who wasn't? I think everyone had the right to, they released a bad, unpolished beta MMO that deserved every bit of bad rap. That aside... I still hope the game turns into something worthwhile. I guess like the VG fans here, I see the potential and want to see the game reach that potential.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I sure hope Vanguard never becomes anything like EQ2.  Desoite its flaws vanguard is a much much better game than EQ2.

EQ2 and Vanguard are the direct opposite in games.

Vanguard is a game with great core systems of combat mechanics, crafting mechanics, fantastic diverse classes and a huge amazing world.  Vanguard lacks fluff and completion.

EQ2 has fluff and completion but has a awful core systems.  Its combat mechanics are awful and EQ2 has possibly the worst combat system in the genre.  Combat in EQ2 plays more like a free Asian game, crafting is awful, the world is instanced, small and ugly.

Most of all Vanguard is fun to play which is something EQ2 greatly lacks.  EQ2's core systems are so bad the game is simply awkward to play.

Until EQ2 installs a better combat system the game will be more of graphical chat room then a game.  Vanguard has so many advantages over EQ2.  Vanguard is simply a very good bad game while EQ2 is simply a mediocre bad game. 

But most imporantly Vanguard is fun to play which is something even a diehard EQ2 fanboy can never say about EQ2.

Originally posted by Tutu2

Yes I retried it. I can't prove it to you, but I actually reinstall the game waited pretty much an entire day for all the damn updates, then logged onto my rogue and druid. They are level 12 and 14, not very high, but I felt so bored at my current level. I'll also say my computer can run VG, although it is choppy at times. I personally did not notice any technical improvement, but at least I could run the darn thing.

I was kind of shocked because I noticed very little difference when I retried it, the UI still feels unpolished, there is no new character animations, still the really embarassing ones from launch, awful voice acting, really boring generic quests..where's the "next-gen" stuff like ship combat....basically the thing still feels very unpolished and unprofessional. And its been a year. I know they reworked alot of the classes, I noticed alot of improvement with my rogue since launch....but why the hell did they release free playtime in its current state? I personally think it was the worst move they could have done. Its not ready for *any* free playtime for anyone. Now they have probably driven more ex-players away.

And yes I was very angry at the game and bashed it alot in the past...who wasn't? I think everyone had the right to, they released a bad, unpolished beta MMO that deserved every bit of bad rap. That aside... I still hope the game turns into something worthwhile. I guess like the VG fans here, I see the potential and want to see the game reach that potential.

Well for one thing i wasnt Tutu ive been playing the game since day 1 with every setting maxed at 1920 x1200 and the game is much better now even on my computer 

And as far as animations and quests and such things i find it about the same as any mmo ive ever played which isnt alot of them but vanguard isnt any worse then any ive seen Am glad you see the potentail and sorry your disippointed but honestly where on far different levels of playing the game If you could seeany of my toons fighting on my 24 inch wide screen with every setting maxed you would be hard pressed to say it looks bad , but they really didnt come into there own till i was past lev 20 when i had most of my chains and abilities

Anyways bro hope you find the game that suits you

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

God I love this game like a long lost son who is now 50, a lawyer, successful, and more over dead, and happened to name his long lost father (me) in his will.

1) Everquest 2 is not underpopulated, you must be thinking of vanguard or swg.

2) Everquest 2's launch was rough, but nothing compared to vanguard's launch. EQ2 needed tweaks, Vanguard needed a complete rewrite.

3) The game play philosophy between Vanguard and EQ2 is quite different. I don't see how one can equal the other.

4) { Mod Edit } They want to blame the community, the launch, the press, the forums, SOE. or even people's outdated 6 month old systems(!) for the failure of this game.

Be honest, this game sucked from scratch. SOE had nothing to do with the 6 year old, twice dumped, 18 GIG(!), unplayable monstrosity that became Vanguard.

Edit: There was a game that had a similar launch, with quite a lot in common with Vanguard, I think that was DnL. Great job sigil. Note, sigil, brad...for once Smed gets a break.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

Originally posted by dalevi1

God I love this game like a long lost son who is now 50, a lawyer, successful, and more over dead, and happened to name his long lost father (me) in his will.
    2) Everquest 2's launch was rough, but nothing compared to vanguard's launch. EQ2 needed tweaks, Vanguard needed a complete rewrite.
    3) The game play philosophy between Vanguard and EQ2 is quite different. I don't see how one can equal the other.
    4) The first two replies to this thread are why I will never again try to play Vanguard. The community is stacked top to bottom with complete f#@%in^ idiots. They will never admit to the game's shortcomings (although they are happy to ride the short bus). They want to blame the community, the launch, the press, the forums, SOE. or even people's outdated 6 month old systems(!) for the failure of this game.
    Be honest, this game sucked from scratch. SOE had nothing to do with the 6 year old, twice dumped, 18 GIG(!), unplayable monstrosity that became Vanguard.
    Edit: There was a game that had a similar launch, with quite a lot in common with Vanguard, I think that was DnL. Great job sigil. Note, sigil, brad...for once Smed gets a break.

Its ok take a deep breath someday you will have a computer to play a game like vanguard

4) The first two replies to this thread are why I will never again try to play Vanguard. The community is stacked top to bottom with complete f#@%in^ idiots. They will never admit to the game's shortcomings (although they are happy to ride the short bus). They want to blame the community, the launch, the press, the forums, SOE. or even people's outdated 6 month old systems(!) for the failure of this game.

Its ok take a deep breath someday you will have a computer to play a game like vanguard

My computer would play it in spades while also allowing me to duel run Ryzom and SL. I did build this machine from scratch, which means I respect it way too much to litter my hard drive with 18G of VG. You take a breath, a very deep one, and exhale with something useful.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

• safwdsafwd Member Posts: 879

I will chime in on this one, and since i am not a Vanboi (was until launch) or a hater (never been) maybe i will not sound so jaded.

I think the answer to the OPs question is Yes. But i dont think it will take 2-3 years. Vanguard was released in a bad state but it will not be that difficult to make it right. The core is there, they just have to make it work like it was supposed to. And SOE is doing that.

So yes, i think SOE will save Vanguard, but im afraid that it might be too late of a save to actually get a real good population into the game. And whoever said that SOE will dump the game because it isnt making money is a fool, Vanguard is making money for SOE. Is it making alot of money, probably not, but it is making money. You only need about 35000 paying players in an MMO to make money, you of course want to do more then just make money though.

My fear is that Vanguard will become too much like EQ2. SOE has a tendency to easify games, i.e. make them more WoW like, they did it with EQ and with EQ2. If they do it to Vanguard also it will be a real shame. Though i believe they have already increased experience, made traveling easier and lessened the death penalty. Unlike what "whoever" said earlier there are people who want what Vanguard was supposed to be. There are people that really wanted the Vision that Vanguard was supposed to be.

I currently do not have the computer to play Vanguard, i can play it but not at a level i want to, but plan on upgrading soon. I really want to give Vanguard another try when i do but if it keeps going down the road of WoWification then i will have to pass on it. Now perhaps im wrong and that wont happen, or isnt happening,  i hope so.

My computer would play it in spades while also allowing me to duel run Ryzom and SL. I did build this machine from scratch, which means I respect it way too much to litter my hard drive with 18G of VG. You take a breath, a very deep one, and exhale with something useful.

Bud if you dont like vanguard so much what are you doing trolling its forums , are the games you play that boring

Bud if you dont like vanguard so much what are you doing trolling its forums , are the games you play that boring

"Bud" the OP included EQ2 in the comparison, so this is not limited to Vanguard now is it? 1-3 addressed EQ2 as well as Vanguard. When you feel like replying, feel free to address the post. If you can't reply to any point, you are the one trolling. By the way, these are mmorpg forums, not Vanguard's. Oh right, they didn't have an official forum, did they?

"Bud" the OP included EQ2 in the comparison, so this is not limited to Vanguard now is it? 1-3 addressed EQ2 as well as Vanguard. When you feel like replying, feel free to address the post. If you can't reply to any point, you are the one trolling. By the way, these are mmorpg forums, not Vanguard's. Oh right, they didn't have an official forum, did they?

Your right it is about EQ2 so alls i can really tell you about EQ2 is that i deleted off my hard drive about 20 minutes into the free trail

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I played both. Honestly, I didn't really like either one of them. I just don't see the point.

But anyway, in a year or two, I think vanguard will kick the crap out of EQ2. I don't, however, think it will ever have a high population. They destroyed their reputation with the launch, and unfortunately, I don't see them ever recovering it.

By the time the game reaches its full potential, there will be too many new kids on the block for them to even attract any real attention.

D.

• SaggraSaggra Member Posts: 99

You know what Dalevi1,you didnt exactly stay on topic yourself , you got all in a huff because a few posters dared say EQ2 has a low pop and came unglued you called every person that plays vanguard a name. You are in fact trolling when you insult every player that plays vanguard

Dont be mad at us because we like vanguard and are mostly adults who fall into the top 5% of people who own the best computers

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I don't think vanguard will ever come close to the success of EQ2.

EQ2 had SOEs best and brightest devs and more capital being it was the companies flagship title.

Vanguard just doesn't have the manpower or subscriber base to get the attention is is going to need.  I doubt it will even get a commercially available expansion pack.  The game and staff share a lot of logistical similarities with SWG team, so I expect the game to progress along those lines and not along the lines of EQ2.  Lots of decent size patches with some cool stuff here and there.  The Vanguard engine and design are in much better shape than SWG so the updates should be much easier and come along faster, but how much faster is the question.

Overall I think the game will develop into a solid title over the next year seeing much needed fixes and additions, but I doubt it will be enough to recover 2 year after launch.  Considering how the basic core of gameplay is much better than EQ2 is it will be a better game for sure, but might have trouble surviving due to the overall size of the game.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

lol, VG doesn't come close to EQ2 and I don't ever see doing that.

acctually imho VG should be free to play by now

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by Daffid011

I don't think vanguard will ever come close to the success of EQ2.
    EQ2 had SOEs best and brightest devs and more capital being it was the companies flagship title.

Vanguard just doesn't have the manpower or subscriber base to get the attention is is going to need.  I doubt it will even get a commercially available expansion pack.  The game and staff share a lot of logistical similarities with SWG team, so I expect the game to progress along those lines and not along the lines of EQ2.  Lots of decent size patches with some cool stuff here and there.  The Vanguard engine and design are in much better shape than SWG so the updates should be much easier and come along faster, but how much faster is the question.
    Overall I think the game will develop into a solid title over the next year seeing much needed fixes and additions, but I doubt it will be enough to recover 2 year after launch.  Considering how the basic core of gameplay is much better than EQ2 is it will be a better game for sure, but might have trouble surviving due to the overall size of the game.

Excellent assessment and one I agree with 100%.  VG could be a great game if It can just get enough momentum to get off the ground...  With the bad launch unfortunately it will make it harder then ever to get the momentum it needs.

---
    Ethion

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

I never share emails i've been sent from developers but this is what a ex Planetside dev said to me....

The demise of PlanetSide was mostly due to poor execution of the EQII and SWG teams, to summarize in a kind of extreme way.

Basically, SOE had huge commitments made to EQII and SWG. The SWG situation was particularly bad because Lucas could sue the crap out of SOE if they missed their dates by too much.

So...the PlanetSide budget and team got cannibalized because, quite frankly, both of those projects were failing (poor organization, overbudget, missing milestones) and they had to pull my team apart for resources to get those projects into shape so they could launch.

-----

I reckon Vanguard will just be another Planetside.