Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 less reason for vets to hate the NGE coming soon!

Comments

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162

OH WOW 2+ years to get 1 piece of the game to a semi functional state of what it once was, congratulations SOE you are truly miracle makers.  I'm amazed this incredible new bit of game feature was not saved for a new chapter, or even better, AN EXPANSION! 

Seriously is this news? a real update? something to be proud of?  a reason for people to be excited/ return to game?

none of the above.

• PrinnySquadPrinnySquad Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Mupp3n

Originally posted by PrinnySquad

Originally posted by Gutboy

This is why I had as the thread title ONE reason. In reading the thousands of posts on SGW and the NGE a vast majority have listed this reason (as one of many) as a reason to not play.

R-Really ... ?

Losing the skill system, that makes sense to quit over.

I can't believe people would quit over a little animation issue though.

Why quit playing after they implemented a feature?

Or new Combat system or whatever, try the game for 5-10 hours before saying; Noes sucks /goes playing wow!! 

Its almost like saying "omg nerfed my class --> Quits Gaming"

Well, not really. Anyhow its a good game, and its nice theyre atleast Trying to fix things and add animations etc.. but still people give negative opinions about the company, ofcourse the company wouldnt listen to the customers anymore..

Hey lighten up Rambo, I'm not getting involved in this epic battle. Don't snap my neck. My fault for sticking it in though, I suppose.

I didn't tell anyone to go to WoW, I just said I could see quitting over losing a skill system, since I think skill systems are far superior to class systems.

• Mupp3nMupp3n Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by Mathos

Originally posted by Suvroc

It's not that the animations were missing from the NGE that has kept me away.
    It's the NGE itself.

Dito why play a poor wow clone when you can play wow and thats what im doing, i dont like wow or swg, but wows very well done,oh and 8 mill subs to boot groups are not a problem there lol...

THey say they got 10 mil now.. 

And how many of those 10 mil got 2 accounts possibly 3.. How many actually play, have they counted via subscribed accoutns, or active IPs?

I dont really think they got 10 mil.. The servers arent that active, and i were playing on EU Stormscale, one of the best servers imo. And it were there from the start. Anyhow, when claiming ot have 10 mil, the areas should be dense with players, not 10 each area per lowlvl area and 100 on the high lvl areas ( Outlands.. )

Oh and btw, the one who quoted my post last, i didnt point it directly to you.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

The question that i have for OP and others. 

Why you continued to pay  for 2+ years with that bug, that was obviously according to AdeptStrain a joke to fix ?

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

WOW

yep yep fix a known issue 2 years after the fact and expect anny thing but more crap for has become the SWG thing. Lets be real most of bug bash was scraping the surface of such things.

I stoped thinking of NGE as the same game i had played and gave it a few trys thinking of it as SWG2.  First time I tryed it jedi where with out anny armor defence. Granted before NGE that was true but we had a skill tree that filled that spot. To me it demostrated the total lack of understanding or forthought in the NGE. It was not fun i did not resub.

I came back again and was told i could go get a spiffy robe that would give me armor and so i could look like 1/2 of the other elder jedi out there.  At that time sapce was varry dead as there where few to fight there and even less to make parts. See space still had decay because some chimp forgot to take care of that when decay was removed from the game. It was not fun and did not resub

The last time back i found the game amusing it was still full of bugs but had become so easy as an elder jedi or BH (my beloved ranger had to do alot of grinding to be a BH becuse of what i was told was another bug) death watch bunker was easly soloed as where things like sher kar and HK could be done with 2 with almost no effort. then chaper 6 hit and changed all that. cool the game was harder again i question the thought of forcing grouping in a game with soo much elbo room.

It got old fast so i tryed being a spy and that was fun untill they nerfed /broke and still have not fixed, take your pick eather way its not working as they say it was supost to. I am not going to sit back for that fix in 2 years and will not clap for them when they get around to fixing it. With other things more broken you should be upset that whats geting fixed is some gliter. 

I have said it before and i still stand by it  "it is not right to ask players to pay to effectivly beta test a game that is 4 1/2 years old" bug bash was a good move and might have been ausome if they cleared all the bugs.

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

It's the NGE itself.

Dito why play a poor wow clone when you can play wow and thats what im doing, i dont like wow or swg, but wows very well done,oh and 8 mill subs to boot groups are not a problem there lol...

And how many of those 10 mil got 2 accounts possibly 3.. How many actually play, have they counted via subscribed accoutns, or active IPs?

I dont really think they got 10 mil.. The servers arent that active, and i were playing on EU Stormscale, one of the best servers imo. And it were there from the start. Anyhow, when claiming ot have 10 mil, the areas should be dense with players, not 10 each area per lowlvl area and 100 on the high lvl areas ( Outlands.. )

Dude get a clue i didnt say 10 mill i said 8 mill troll much

• Mupp3nMupp3n Member Posts: 56

It's the NGE itself.

Dude get a clue i didnt say 10 mill i said 8 mill troll much

Read what i said, thank you very much!

I'll re-write it for you; they say they got 10 mill now..

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

Ok, I've been watching three forums since the NGE.  They are the emulator's, SWG's official and this one. 

I had to say something on this one.  Big whoop!  There's one thing that they MIGHT have gotten right since November '05.

Now this is what they need to do in addition to this to get me back:

1.  Revamp the profession system (32+ with  hybridization possible).

2.  Revamp the combat system (slow down and targeting fixed back to normal).

3.  Make our movements look realistic again (both on foot and on mount).

4.  Decay (but not as drastic as it was).

5.  GCW revamp (ask people what they want).

Why don't I just come out and say it?  I want either Pre NGE system whether it be CU or Pre CU, it really doesn't matter.  The NGE was and still is a blight to this game.  I can't really pinpoint one reason why I don't like SWG now, except to say that I hate everything that the NGE stood for.

Animations are nice, but they used to be even more nice when the game was a world and not just a game.

• MikeMBMikeMB Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by Asmiroth20

Ok, I've been watching three forums since the NGE.  They are the emulator's, SWG's official and this one. 
      I had to say something on this one.  Big whoop!  There's one thing that they MIGHT have gotten right since November '05.
      Why don't I just come out and say it?  I want either Pre NGE system whether it be CU or Pre CU, it really doesn't matter.  The NGE was and still is a blight to this game.  I can't really pinpoint one reason why I don't like SWG now, except to say that I hate everything that the NGE stood for.
      Animations are nice, but they used to be even more nice when the game was a world and not just a game.

1. There is word that they are bring back 'some' tree's. Putting in a combat box for what weapons people like to use. Droid Commander (tho it's unknown if this will be like Beast Master or not.) They have stated things like Knockdown/Dizzy are not coming back however.

2.Believe it or not the combat system works a bit better now. Yes it's faster, but remember this is a Sci-Fi Game, Sci-Fi RPG's tend to have faster combat. Mostly due to more ranged combat, really play something like Mass Effect then Elder Scrolls. Mass Effect is much faster then Elder Scrolls. And I wouldn't put it past an UI revamp.

3.That's part of the goal now, believe me they will most likely do Light Saber and Melee Weapons first before moving on to other things like Ranged Weapons and movement. As for mounts, it's gotten better not the best but still.

4.This has come up alot... The main fault is people don't want it to be like the old system where over time even with repairing the item it will go down to 0. I wouldn't 'mind' if it came back, only somewhat slower and with a repair NPC that can repair the items crafted or looted for X amount of credits. This way there is a semi-credit sink in game.

5.People have also been asking for this as well, and trust me SOE will most likely give in. The fault with the system right now is, some people don't like GCW Decay. Other's don't like the fact that the items are almost PvPer only. I wouldn't put it past SOE opening it more up in the next year. Allowing PvE Players to get what they want out of it. And do it so the PvPer's have a fun system that they would enjoy.

See the NGE has gotten better, much better. Yeah it sucked when it first came out and their are other things SOE needs to do. Yeah the Player Pop is down, but almost every game has that happening... Well unless you have 'Warcraft' somewhere in your title. SWG is a 4 year old game with a bad rep, believe me Ultima Online lost a ton of people and has dead servers. Lord of the Rings at times had that ghost town feeling...

The thing too is, in the end that's what SWG is... It is 'just a game' if you want a 'world' then hit up EVE or Second Life. Dare I say Second Life is much more of a Sandbox game then well any MMO that's been out.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829
    Originally posted by Gutboy

From a dev post today by :
    AdeptStrain wrote:

So, I was going to save this for the dev chat tonight - but instead maybe it'll generate more questions.

So yesterday I actually fixed an issue where skill animations for 1 handed swords/lightsabers and 2 handed swords/lightsabers weren't getting loaded correctly. You'll notice, once the update patch hits at the end of this cycle, that if you do a skill with one of those weapons - you'll get a proper animation instead of just sitting there like a bump on a log. I was doing a 4 hit combo animation(old school TK style) yesterday with my spy using Assassinate and I have to say it looked great.

What does that mean for the future? Well, it depends if your skill + weapon already has an animation assigned to it. Some classes *cough* Jedi *cough* have had their animations completely screwed up, but it is something Blixtev and myself are going to try and add back in soon. Its just a matter of finding animations that fit the new speed and trying a few things out. The point is we are making some great progress with regard to animation and hopefully things will be looking much better soon.

I'll be at the chat tonight so bring all your animation questions and join in.

I don't see how fixing a few Jedi animations helps to bring back the Fencer and TKM animations I enjoyed (the one's replaced with particle effects). Weird...This seems like .001 less reasons. Not 1.0.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I want all the good idle anims from the old SWG back.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

What part of roll it back or we aint coming back is SOE missing?

Is this some sort of vague statement? Was PRE-CU FTW something they didn't understand?

Either develop and code the NGE for your playerbase you opted for or try and appease the old vets with a roll back.  Coding some old stuff back in half arsed isn't going to work.

Just my 2 cents.

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

I want all the good idle anims from the old SWG back.

i want the old game back not that. and we will get it back once the fanbois start saying we are right.

• SurfheartSurfheart Member Posts: 18

The animations are a joke in the game right now and the devs don't seem interested in slowing them down.

Friggen keystone kops/benny Hill bullshit I can hardly believe what this game has come to.  It makes me weep.

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by MikeMB

1. There is word that they are bring back 'some' tree's. Putting in a combat box for what weapons people like to use. Droid Commander (tho it's unknown if this will be like Beast Master or not.) They have stated things like Knockdown/Dizzy are not coming back however.

2.Believe it or not the combat system works a bit better now. Yes it's faster, but remember this is a Sci-Fi Game, Sci-Fi RPG's tend to have faster combat. Mostly due to more ranged combat, really play something like Mass Effect then Elder Scrolls. Mass Effect is much faster then Elder Scrolls. And I wouldn't put it past an UI revamp.

3.That's part of the goal now, believe me they will most likely do Light Saber and Melee Weapons first before moving on to other things like Ranged Weapons and movement. As for mounts, it's gotten better not the best but still.

4.This has come up alot... The main fault is people don't want it to be like the old system where over time even with repairing the item it will go down to 0. I wouldn't 'mind' if it came back, only somewhat slower and with a repair NPC that can repair the items crafted or looted for X amount of credits. This way there is a semi-credit sink in game.

5.People have also been asking for this as well, and trust me SOE will most likely give in. The fault with the system right now is, some people don't like GCW Decay. Other's don't like the fact that the items are almost PvPer only. I wouldn't put it past SOE opening it more up in the next year. Allowing PvE Players to get what they want out of it. And do it so the PvPer's have a fun system that they would enjoy.

See the NGE has gotten better, much better. Yeah it sucked when it first came out and their are other things SOE needs to do. Yeah the Player Pop is down, but almost every game has that happening... Well unless you have 'Warcraft' somewhere in your title. SWG is a 4 year old game with a bad rep, believe me Ultima Online lost a ton of people and has dead servers. Lord of the Rings at times had that ghost town feeling...

The thing too is, in the end that's what SWG is... It is 'just a game' if you want a 'world' then hit up EVE or Second Life. Dare I say Second Life is much more of a Sandbox game then well any MMO that's been out.

1.  A couple of "trees" aren't really going to get me back.  250 skillpoints with 32+ proffessions or bust for me.

2.  The combat is too glitchy.  Combat in the NGE, to me, looks like a nonstop spasmfest.  Faster doesn' t necessarily mean better, that's more FPS's territory than MMORPG. 

Yes, I've played Mass Effect and there is no doubt that it was definetly going to be one of my favorite games until part two comes out.  Though, I don't remember getting shot through walls,  I never really felt hurried in combat and it all looked nice to boot (the combat and graphics).  It worked for that engine, but not for SWG's.

3.  The thing is that they mess the animations and movements up when they sped the game up.  Just one of their many blunders to the game.  They shouldn't have to go back and redo all that stuff because they had it already, their code monkeys just aren't going to do the right thing to fix it by slowing the speed down.

4.  Well, like I said.  Decay to a lesser extent.  I know it was pretty insane back then, that's why it would need to be worked on and find a good, common ground on what's plausible.

5.  I had fun PvP'ing with the GCW back in the older systems.  Back when Colonel didn't have a big advantage over Corpral even.  Though back then, the combat and targeting was more traditional and, to me, worked alot more than this psuedo-FPS bullcrap.

Yes, the NGE has gotten better, even for what that's worth.  It's still not doing it for me, so I'm staying away and warning possible future players to "try before you buy", but I can't help but feel a little vidicated that the population has bled so much. 

In closing, I'm going to say that I want a Star Wars MMO with the level of immersion that the old SWG systems had or if possible more.

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Originally posted by musicmann

The NGE is a failure, total crapfest. It's kinda funny that people that still play thinks that just because the devs of the game had to hire a PI to find the guys that learned how to mod aniamtions back into the game that will work in the NGE system, think that vet players will want to hurry up and resub or something.
    Let me expalin it in the most simple terms for all the NGE fanbois. IF SOE CREATED CLASSIC SERVERS AND OR REROLLED BACK, WITH MAYBE A YR FREE IN SUB FEE, MAYBE AND A BIG MAYBE VETS WOULD ETURN, GOT IT.

Now they only have to recode 32 professions, item decay, a real combat system, a real GCW.... (insert endless list here)

Lol they'll never get why we vets left in he first place!!!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Decay was really the best part that kept the economy alive, especially crystal/pearls, they decayed like a madman and back then Krayts weren't exactly easy to solo unless you had a swordsman/doctor alt.

GCW ranks didn't matter back then, the Jedi had an FRS rank tree which only gave you a bigger force pool and slightly cheaper heal costs (the listed saber block and a few others weren't functional). I wish Jedi had their own dark vs light battle that was seperate from the GCW in exception of bounties, that would have made the game a little better in terms of pvp.

The NGE took away the flexibility of mixing professions (hybrid crafter and TKA for eg), took away player based economy from crafted items and decay which almost always brought back trusted customers for more, smugglers actually had a purpose with the slicing system, entertainers were left in the dark for ages after losing the ability to heal wounds, buff mind and other aspects, when politician actually took time to grind rather than a stupid bug that made everyone master politician upon placing a house.

The missing animations certainly is ugly and not even high up on my desired to fix list, though it IS one of the things that drove many people away. I remmeber when the combat upgrade first came out, Jedi and fencer were missing some animations which were addressed 2 months later and by mid Octobor the combat upgrade after publish 24 was actually a better game overall than pre-CU ever was and pvp was very fun regardless of class then less than 2 weeks later the NGE was pushed live. If SOE still doesn't understand to this day why we're very upset, then God help us.

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by MikeMB

1.  A couple of "trees" aren't really going to get me back.  250 skillpoints with 32+ proffessions or bust for me.

2.  The combat is too glitchy.  Combat in the NGE, to me, looks like a nonstop spasmfest.  Faster doesn' t necessarily mean better, that's more FPS's territory than MMORPG. 

Yes, I've played Mass Effect and there is no doubt that it was definetly going to be one of my favorite games until part two comes out.  Though, I don't remember getting shot through walls,  I never really felt hurried in combat and it all looked nice to boot (the combat and graphics).  It worked for that engine, but not for SWG's.

3.  The thing is that they mess the animations and movements up when they sped the game up.  Just one of their many blunders to the game.  They shouldn't have to go back and redo all that stuff because they had it already, their code monkeys just aren't going to do the right thing to fix it by slowing the speed down.

4.  Well, like I said.  Decay to a lesser extent.  I know it was pretty insane back then, that's why it would need to be worked on and find a good, common ground on what's plausible.

5.  I had fun PvP'ing with the GCW back in the older systems.  Back when Colonel didn't have a big advantage over Corpral even.  Though back then, the combat and targeting was more traditional and, to me, worked alot more than this psuedo-FPS bullcrap.

Yes, the NGE has gotten better, even for what that's worth.  It's still not doing it for me, so I'm staying away and warning possible future players to "try before you buy", but I can't help but feel a little vidicated that the population has bled so much. 

In closing, I'm going to say that I want a Star Wars MMO with the level of immersion that the old SWG systems had or if possible more.

ignore mikemb he is a clueless fanbot or works for $OE and knows nothing about mmo games.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

meh i played range so i do not see 1 less reason to hate the NGE

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

Nice news... so its like 1 down 5 to go after that fix.

• EvilsamEvilsam Member UncommonPosts: 200

"I didn't tell anyone to go to WoW, I just said I could see quitting over losing a skill system, since I think skill systems are far superior to class systems."

Umm.ok..how about the 4,000+ hours i nvested in 3 char's  professions that were "removed"

you mean to tell me that if you played a game for almost 3 years and they removed all your char's skills and talents that you would still play....If so..I couldn't help but feel sorry for you.

• jaxscorpio34jaxscorpio34 Member Posts: 204

The same claim can be made for SWG.  I know many, many people who had multiple accounts in SWG back in the day.  At one point I was up to 6 accounts myself.  SOE counted everyone of them as a single subscriber since they were all paid for individually.  How many people have multiple accounts in SWG today?  Quite a few I'd imagine.  Particularly since you can only have two characters, and in some cases three (if you unlocked your Jedi slot back in the day), per server.  In WoW I have the ability to create 8 or so characters per server, not sure since I've never capped out and am not really an alt a holic.  CoV/CoH (CoX) allows more characters per server than WoW and SWG combined.  By allowing more than two or three characters per server, I've never felt a need to buy an extra account in WoW or CoX.  I sure as heck felt a need to do so in SWG though.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I hate to say it, but better late than never.

Besides, that is such a minor bug...It shoud have been very low on the priority list and thus takes time to get to

Torrential

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

It's the NGE itself.

(Except the number is now 10 mill subs.)

Oh and I'd like to point out that once again the official SWG motto holds true:

"Pay money on the idea that maybe the game will get better at some point in the future."

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• Xtremality1Xtremality1 Member Posts: 24

What new content? All this crap they keep adding has been in the game before. Ignorance, Ignorance!