Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Case Dismissed

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Shacknews is reporting that the lawsuit filed against Perpetual Entertainment by Kohnke Entertainment has been resolved out of court. As a result, the case against the former STO development studio have been dropped.

Shacknews has confirmed that PR firm Kohnke Communication's lawsuit against former Star Trek Online developer Perpetual Entertainment has been dropped following a mutual resolution.

"The latest development is that the parties have resolved their dispute," a source told Shacknews. "The dismissal of the case was filed with the Court this afternoon."

A representative of Kohnke confirmed the suit's dismissal this afternoon. "The parties have reached an agreement, but we can't detail any further than that," Kohnke told Shacknews. "Part of the agreement was that we would not detail."

Check out the story here.

Comments

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

You should not draw your own conclusions, I am thinking.

The transfer of assets from PE to P2 and the legality of such transfer has nothing to do with the lawsuit.

If the CA AG office determines that PE committed a crime under CA statutes, prosecution will go forward regardless of any lawsuit settlement or non-settlement.  The two issues are not connected.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I have to agree, though the lawsuit is dropped, nothing in this story indicates the charges filed by the State are going away.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The article doesn't say anything about any charges from the state, only the case between Perpetual and Kohnke.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Just to be clear :

The civil case was not 'Dismissed', it was Settled.

The civil case was not 'Dropped', it was Settled.

In the editor's statement, he said :

"As a result, the case against the former STO development studio have been dropped."

Either the plurality of the word 'case' is wrong, or the plurality of the word 'have' is wrong.  If 'have' is correct, then the editor had to have been refering to both the civil and the criminal cases.

• MaurauderMaurauder Member Posts: 36

...ouch...

It is not like any of us have a personal stake in this so just relax for a minute. Who is going after who or what they are doing behind closed doors has absolutly nothing to do with the rest of us. News like this really should not of even been posted in the first place since itt is not direct gaming news anyways.

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

Perpetual probably ended up losing a lot of money, anyway.

• MaurauderMaurauder Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Don't just assume that because things are settled, that P2 or whatever company they are now can honestly be trusted. I for one can understand the act of privacy for what became of the settlement out of court, but if you need privacy, than you screwed up, that's the facts.
    That is just it, I am not assuming anything but YOU are. That was the point of my post. Some people, not all,   take side and think they know what is going on when they in fact don't. So lets give a few things out right now.

1) Unless you were there, then you don't know.

2) Do assume you know when in fact you don't because you were not there. See #1.

3) Stop looking to start an argument when none is required. Trolling forums is a wasts of everyones time.

4) Subscription and billing departments of gaming companies are usually handled by a seperate division in house. More recently the trend is to hire it out to third party companies to handle this for them. So one issue has absolutely nothing to do with the other. But that is what happens when you assume things.

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

I'm afraid the damage is done, it is going to be so hard for Star Trek Online to recover from this; hope I'm wrong

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Hopefully Paramount/CBS will see how valuable thier franchise is and take better care in how it is used.  I still believe Star Trek will be a very difficult setting to reproduce in an MMO.  I can see single player missions and action but Group Starship Operation is still very awkward with transitory crew.  How would the system work with everyone with a ship?  Would the more advance missions involve grouping to use the "guild ships" aka Heavy Cruisers and everyone buzzing about with thier own Runabout for everything else?  How do you choose "Captain for a Day" in the system?  Not everyone will agree on one person being Captain on every adventure.