Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Press Event Report Part Two

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Last week, Managing Editor Jon Wood traveled to Norway to visit the studios of Funcom's Age of Conan. Today, he presents part two of his report with a heavy focus on weather and mounted combat.

Yesterday, in Part One of this report, I told you about some of the things that I learned while visiting the Funcom offices in Oslo, Norway. Today, that article continues on to things like: Mounted Combat, Visuals, and more.

During our tour of the offices, we stopped by various production areas to talk about specific aspects of the game. The developers that we met all seemed eager to talk about the areas of the game that they have been working on.

They say that art is in the small details, those things that are present in an image, but that we don’t necessarily notice right away. For me, that has always included things like weather, time of day, shadows and the like, so it was interesting to learn a little more about those aspects in Age of Conan.

Read it all here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

Looking good, level 40 sounds quite familiar when talking about the mounts though.

Wonder if there will be possibility to use bows/crossbows from mount, that would be nice from war elephant!

*waits patiently for ranger info*

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Hmm. I thought I addressed that in the article. You can use ranged weapons from the back of the Mammoth, I believe.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

Looks like it might be a fun game. Thanks for all of the information. Were it not for AoC's ESRB rating, I'd probably have given this one a try. :/

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

Night & day time cycles & weather sounds awesome. I just hope they wont delay again after May. Something in my gut is saying 'October release'. I hope i'm wrong.

• Cway214Cway214 Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by Stradden

Hmm. I thought I addressed that in the article. You can use ranged weapons from the back of the Mammoth, I believe.

It says its a possability, but still that would bee cool/hard.  Trying to first person shoot a moving target while on a moving mount, haha.

• PadoPado Member UncommonPosts: 21

If im not mistaken and i think im not,night and day also have another impact in game.Assasin will have easier job infilrtating enemy camps and will be harder to spot.So for me this is a huge thing.

I wonder will EU have also collectors editions with mammoth and rhinos available or this is only fo USA???

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Everything sounds great.  I just hope it runs faster than 10 fps.

I like the paper doll idea for the horses.  It would be nice to outfit them in a way that would complement our avatars. 

I've read that weather and day/night might effect gameplay?  If so that is awesome.

• yegnatsyegnats Member Posts: 157

I would hope that you would have to stable that mammoth somewhere, and not just have it appear out of no where when you want to mount it. It seems this game is going for a very realistic approach, and having horses, rhinos and especially mammoths appear out of no where and then disappear is very immersion breaking.

Once you go go whack, you'll never go back.

What is this "whack", you say? Check out the links!
    http://www.thenewmystics.com
    http://www.joyrevolution.com
    http://www.thenewecstatics.co.uk

• pust082pust082 Member Posts: 157

The mounts are supposed to be magical. From what I understand, they are to be mystical idols that can be summoned and dismissed.

I like the idea of caring for your mount in order to keep it though... might make for an interesting concept in a game. It would certainly keep everyone and their brother from having one.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by pust082

I like the idea of caring for your mount in order to keep it though... might make for an interesting concept in a game. It would certainly keep everyone and their brother from having one.
    It's not just a concept.. it's already been done.  11 years ago.. in UO.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• SavilzSavilz Member UncommonPosts: 53

Anyone know, when the mount die do we loose it all together or can just resummon after some time?  Second question is the collector edition - do we get the same item that was offered in the normal version of pre-order and added on the ring that was said to be part of the package with the collector edition for North America Market?

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

Hi.

Some answers:

- You do not lose your mount if you die on it

- Every territory will have pre-orders with the war-mounts as reward. Check out ageofconan.com for info on that

- If you pre-order the CE, you get the best of both worlds (being pre-order bonus and CE bonus), that is the warmount, the XP ring and the drinking cape virtual items.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

oh, and pre-ordering also means you get the option to get into the game 3 days prior that launch, that being the 17th of May for US servers and the 20th of May for EU servers. This cost 5 usd/eur which gives the download of the full client as well as 10 full days of playtime that stack with the 30 days of the full product. so in sum : pre-ordering is a pretty sweet deal.

• howardbhowardb Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by Dameonk

Originally posted by pust082

It's not just a concept.. it's already been done.  11 years ago.. in UO.

Too bad all the MMO's has de-evolved the last 11 years then. Thank God AoC is here to put it back on track.