Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: The Future of Star Trek Online

2»

Comments

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by jinxit

Originally posted by Kurgen

To be quite honest, i have alot more faithin STO seeing the light of day than i did before.What many people here have forgotten is that Paramount/CBS knows what a ggoldmine STO could be if done right.It also looks like someone had been talking to Cryptic prior to Perpetual otherwise how would the handover of the license have happened so fast.

Ok well i do seriously think cryptic are the people behind keeping the star trek mmo dream going on for one good reason, marvel and paramount have had an excellent partnership over the years with there numerous star trek themed comic books so i believe marvel took it upon themselves to have a friendly word with paramount and put a good word in for cryptic.

Marvel Universe Online is cancelled, so I doubt Marvel really cares whether Cryptic gets business or not.

Link to that tit bit of breaking news please?

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Wiil  Perpetual  finish G&H now, i always liked the look of that game??

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

To be quite honest, i have alot more faithin STO seeing the light of day than i did before.What many people here have forgotten is that Paramount/CBS knows what a ggoldmine STO could be if done right.It also looks like someone had been talking to Cryptic prior to Perpetual otherwise how would the handover of the license have happened so fast.

Ok well i do seriously think cryptic are the people behind keeping the star trek mmo dream going on for one good reason, marvel and paramount have had an excellent partnership over the years with there numerous star trek themed comic books so i believe marvel took it upon themselves to have a friendly word with paramount and put a good word in for cryptic.

Marvel Universe Online is cancelled, so I doubt Marvel really cares whether Cryptic gets business or not.

news.mmosite.com/content/2007-11-16/20071116235421130,1.shtml

kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/marvel-universe-online-suspected-of-cancellation-322277.php

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Wiil  Perpetual  finish G&H now, i always liked the look of that game??

No that was cancelled already.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

news.mmosite.com/content/2007-11-16/20071116235421130,1.shtml

kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/marvel-universe-online-suspected-of-cancellation-322277.php

Your second link to that story is tagged by kotaku as rumor and until microsoft/cryptic/marvel can say otherwise theres no reason to take it as anything else, it may be the game is in development difficulty's and just been blown completely out of proportion.

• RomanjisanRomanjisan Member Posts: 53
    As Tuor7 (post #20 in this thread) so accurately stated, STO is DEAD. There will never be an STO game. The Star Trek fanbase (I used to be a fan) has been rapidly shrinking since the late 1990's. The whole franchise is quickly fading into history. Doesn't anyone realize that the original series started a little over 40 years ago? And when was the last Voyager episode aired? Almost 7 years ago? Let's face it, people, the Star Trek franchise is whithering away fast. The last movie release was a yawner that was barely noticed (Nemesis - 2002). The fifth series is a boring prequel that very few people watch. It's sad to see such a great franchise fade to black, but there you have it. And all the loud screaming by the 40-50-something-years-old fans is not going to change the brutal facts one whit.

• AtomicDogAtomicDog Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Hives

Originally posted by AtomicDog

wonderful. another mmorpg we get to wait a decade to play. it's a good thing i have no chance of getting married or achieving any sort of real world success in that time.
    see you at launch!

Atleast it's cheaper than a wife and less stressful than a job so you're probably going to live a long life..

swell.

• mrjulianomrjuliano Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Romanjisan

As Tuor7 (post #20 in this thread) so accurately stated, STO is DEAD. There will never be an STO game. The Star Trek fanbase (I used to be a fan) has been rapidly shrinking since the late 1990's. The whole franchise is quickly fading into history. Doesn't anyone realize that the original series started a little over 40 years ago? And when was the last Voyager episode aired? Almost 7 years ago? Let's face it, people, the Star Trek franchise is whithering away fast. The last movie release was a yawner that was barely noticed (Nemesis - 2002). The fifth series is a boring prequel that very few people watch. It's sad to see such a great franchise fade to black, but there you have it. And all the loud screaming by the 40-50-something-years-old fans is not going to change the brutal facts one whit.

Actually, there is a VERY active group of gamers who currently play Bridge Commander, Starfleet Command, and Armada to this very day. There are multiple sites dedicated to developing and promoting mods for those games. Go to sfc3files.com and look just how many mods are listed, and home many downloads they get.

The Star Trek gaming community even has a bi-weekly podcast which I am a part of, that gets tens of thousands of downloads with each release. When we had an interview with STO developers, those numbers would increase to over a million.

There is an active and hungry fanbase that is much larger and much more interested in this game than most people realize. The franchise has had trouble, especially with the recent Bethesda offerings, but the fanbase is quite large and ready for a Star Trek Online. Whomever the developer is, they will have an installed, large, dedicated base to go to. 

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by mrjuliano

Actually, there is a VERY active group of gamers who currently play Bridge Commander, Starfleet Command, and Armada to this very day. There are multiple sites dedicated to developing and promoting mods for those games. Go to sfc3files.com and look just how many mods are listed, and home many downloads they get.
    The Star Trek gaming community even has a bi-weekly podcast which I am a part of, that gets tens of thousands of downloads with each release. When we had an interview with STO developers, those numbers would increase to over a million.
    There is an active and hungry fanbase that is much larger and much more interested in this game than most people realize. The franchise has had trouble, especially with the recent Bethesda offerings, but the fanbase is quite large and ready for a Star Trek Online. Whomever the developer is, they will have an installed, large, dedicated base to go to. 

And I am almost certain that fanbase wants something more than just WoW in space.

• pineapplespineapples Member Posts: 84

If Cryptic is getting the license being the game and content, but not the code, then that means they will just about start from scratch. So, if that's the case lets not expect Star Trek Online for another 2-10 years. Yeah, P2 was taking awhile but thats synonymous with ALL gaming companies, jesus.

And a message to the Star Trek fanbois who "P2 didnt tune the game towards", just about all of you have no understanding of what can be made into a GAME, an MMO Game no less, and what can be made on a TV screen and a movie screen.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by pineapples

And a message to the Star Trek fanbois who "P2 didnt tune the game towards", just about all of you have no understanding of what can be made into a GAME, an MMO Game no less, and what can be made on a TV screen and a movie screen.

Oh ye of little faith!

• swift3109swift3109 Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Romanjisan

They are getting ready to release a new movie right now! I think that there is a big enough fan base if they are going for a christmas release Star Trek movie. The franchise may be in a lull but it is far from dead.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I don't think Star Trek is dead as a cultural phenomenon.  In fact, I think Star Trek is so finely meshed into American (if not world) culture, it will never completely go away.  Star Trek is about as much of a fad as baseball, and if they can make successful MMOs on LOtR and Star Wars, Star Trek would have far less problems than either of those IPs in terms of brand recognition.

That being said, there are problems with creating a Star Trek MMO.  It has to be designed carefully, and it can't resort to a lot of the things developers lean on to make MMOs work.  I mean, you just can't design it like a Korean grinder where you go down to the Nimbus III noob zone and start grinding Ferenghi to level up to the Cardassian instance.  That would make a Star Trek MMO an embarassment.

Star Trek is about interpersonal skills and problem solving over tactics and combat skill.  There's no real consumer economy either (though I can see ships having to replace warp cores, tricorders, and phasers from time to time).  All of these things add up to the real design challenge for this IP: if you design it to attract MMO players using the things MMO players like to do, it ceases to be Star Trek and becomes a parody of Star Trek.  If a Star Trek MMO would come out, it would fare far better with the Entropia/Second Life crowd than it would with the WoW/EVE/EQ crowd.

Secondly, politics and the economics of the business may kill this game in the boardroom.  I mean, everyone and their uncle wanted Freespace III to come out, but with Interplay holding the rights, and Volition Inc. now with THQ, Freespace III will never happen.  I fear the same thing might happen here with STO.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

This is the best thing that could have happened to Star Trek Online. Perpetual were a bunch of talentless, lazy hacks. They couldn't even finish their own game, and they were set on destroying what could have essentially become the de facto continuation of the Star Trek universe.

Cryptic says that they are simply hiring Perpetual's staff, that makes sense. I think it's too early to assume that they will be developing STO.

Where ever it goes, STO will be in far, far better hands now. Lets hope that the new company is willing to make this game to it's full potential, the way it should be.

It's a relief we won't see that half-assed piece of crap Perpetual was making.

• JRRTrollkinJRRTrollkin Member Posts: 15

I've about given up on existing franchises making it in the mmorpg world. marvel died, star wars sucked, star trek and dc online are in limbo.

Stargate I have no hope in.

Conan is about the only one but it didn't have a strong existing franchise just some nice books and a good flick.