Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth coming back?

13»

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by JasPlun

Well, did you fix the graphics card issue? :)  There has been quite a few changes since May, with Chapter 6, 7 and Chapter 8 going out this week.

I appreciate the positive nature of Obraik here but if you did not like the NGE when it 1st came out chances are you will not like it any better even with the small improvements they have made. I recently went back to a game that was simply crap in my opinion and the biggest thing against SWG is the piece of crap interface it has they can make it the best game in the world and that interface will still stick out like a sore thumb. I gave all my rare items away millions of credits and deleted all my toons thats how bad it was to me. To make swg good again 2 things need to happen 1st a pre- cu server ,and another interface revamp . I am glad there is a new generation od players enjoying themselves I have no problem with that at all,but if your a vet coming back you most likly won't like it.

I disagree, teh game we have now is rather different compared to what we had when the NGE first went Live.

As for the interface, are you talking about the UI appearance or the controls?  The UI is essentially still the same as it always was, just with a skin on it now that you can remove if you choose to use a mod.  The controls are all completely customiseable - if you don't like the key an action is assigned to then you can quite easily change it to something you prefer.

Except for the fact that Mods are illegal under the EULA.  Such a well know SWG booster, such as yourself, should not encourage people to break the EULA.

And if a person HAS to get a mod to get a game to work, the game is SERIOUSLY broken. Oh, wait, we already knew that.

Actually no, a head CSR posted on the forums that using appearance mods such as UI mods will not be punished as they do not give an advantage to playing the game - they just change the looks of things.  However, they will not offer support for mods and issues that happen caused by them, such as forgetting to update your UI mod to the version that's compatible to the current Chapter.  Even DeadMeat, the Producer of SWG tipped his hat to Anach, the creator of the UI mod.

You don't HAVE to have the UI mod for the game to work, it's just a personal preference based on taste.  You can't do anything with the mod then you could with the default.

Growing a third hand is a much better option, you're right.

Which is what you need with out a UI mod. The UI is terrible... hello?

I'll stay turned to see them change the EULA until it says MODs are illegal unless they fix something so f'd up with our game that they are a better fix than what we can come up with.

And yet, people continue to apologize for the devs. BASIC GAME DESIGN 101: a player should not need 3 hands to effectively use combat specials and move and aim without moding the game. I have never seen a bigger a joke of a UI. If the UI you designed needs this, with or without 49 keybindings, here's a little hint: your game design SUCKS!

Oh wait, beta isn't over yet, so nevermind.....

I guess I need to repeat myself.  The UI Mod gives you NO extra options over the default UI.  It doesn't make give or remove any extra keymapping options.  It's JUST a skin.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Originally posted by summitus

Originally posted by Beatnik59

That's cool, but could I use the $15 I save to pay someone to kick me in the nuts?

I am sure you could find someont to kick you in the nutz for free. Walk into a bar, try to pick up someone's girlfriend with a horrible pick up line, and there you go.

It's the same level of enjoyment you get from playing the current SWG-NGE, you saved yourself $15, and you are in a place where you can get a drink or two to kill the pain.

Perfect.

You know you so called whining Vets take the biscuit sometimes , anyone who dares post in your so called Veteran refuge gets instantly flamed if they try to make a positive comment about SWG, yet you all love to come to any thread you can hijack  to give crap unwarranted advice to people.

As another poster mentioned the people who play SWG now  ( and enjoy it for what it is ) are more Vets now than you lot ever were. Get over it Get a Life and if you cant,go crawl back under you bitter and twisted little rock you call the Vets Refuge.

Oh yeah and to the OP , give it a go you might be pleasantly suprised. I played when it first came out and still play now and again especially with having the brilliant value Station Access Sub !

Right back at you.

It is people like you that are the problem. Why? Because SOE figured out that they could do whatever they wanted to their customers, and some people, like you, would still apologize and defend their decisions, shill SWG to new players that don't know any better, and most importantly, keep paying their $15.

How many times has Smedhead or other devs come out with a statement saying "This game is no where near fun yet" or "We realize that all this stuff is broken, and we are working to fix it (most of which never happen)"? Many times. And how often have they cut the price or offered non-canceled people free months/weeks of play? Never. Why? Because they don't care about their current players, only the ones they don't have anymore and might be suckered into coming back. How many vet trials have there been? 3 or 4 in the last year.

It's called "Enabling bad corporate behavior" and it is what many of the current SWG fanboi types do. SWG, in it's current form, is bad. It has had many of it's most complex and rewarding game mechanics stripped away, and it STILL doesn't work. It's a barely functional Beta, after 5 years and on its 3rd core game system.

They screwed all of we "vets" over, wrecking the characters we built, the community we built, and the items/resources/economy we built to chase more subs. And we hold them accountable, by letting people know what they did and not to play this game or others by SOE because of their bad behavior.

Get over it? Most of us are over it, playing SWG that is. We are also over ever playing another SOE title again.

Think SOE won't screw you over in the same way? Just wait.... and we'll give you the world's biggest "I told you so!" when they do.

You know the sad thing and its really sad ,is that you people actually believe that anybody gives a shit, they dont ,no one except people like yourself care about Pre NGE most especially people that are playing the game now , and as far as SOE are concerned I personally  been a subscriber with them in one or another for years and have only ever had a good experience, and I'm sure that alot of people would agree they offer great games for good value and are constantly improving all the time.

Ok I'll agree that the NGE was'nt the best thing to happen but hey it did, Shit Happens get over it.

And stop slinging so much unwarranted crap at SOE , they are a great force in the Mmo industry and are partly responsible for most of the great stuff that people can play. Furthermore they offer the best value for money subscrption package you can find so hey

right back at you too.

Oh and BTW people like me ? If I dont like something I'll hit the cancel button and not spend all my time spreading hate .

You sound kinda hateful to me tbh, at people that felt burned by SOE.  In fact as I read through this thread a lot of the posts sound hateful, derogatory etc..  Some people hate what SOE did to their game, and maybe some people hate SOE.  Can you see that the stuff you vent at those people though doesn't sound any less hateful?  It just sounds a bit more personal actually, in that you direct your comments specifically to other players, or posters. 

Hating and what not aside.  If the OP hasn't played earlier versions of the game, he's probably simply not aware of all the things others really miss.  I haven't played since they brought back things like camps and a form of creature handling.  I also haven't played since they introduced the collection system.  I also hear that entertainers have more of a role to play in the game again.  (In fairness to other vets, I want to mention that a lot of those that post in the forums have taken free trials a number of times to check out the state of the game, and some of them have done this recently. So to say that they haven't played the game in 2 years is really just false.  Jeez I even played it for 6 months after the NGE, and then played again about 6 months later for a period of 2 months when I found a time card under my desk lol.)

Regarding recent changes though, my questions would be, "Do these (re)introduced things actually work?"  and "If they work, are they enjoyable?"  Asking here, checking the SOE boards, maybe checking some reviews here at MMORPG and taking a free trial seem like good ways to make a decision.  There have definitely been some changes, do they work and are they fun?  Well if you take a trial, let us know.

Tbh I'm curious about the entertainer buffs that have been added lately.  Do they work? I've heard mixed reviews.  What kind of buffs do they have now?  Has this restored life to the cantinas?

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

That's cool, but could I use the $15 I save to pay someone to kick me in the nuts?

I am sure you could find someont to kick you in the nutz for free. Walk into a bar, try to pick up someone's girlfriend with a horrible pick up line, and there you go.

It's the same level of enjoyment you get from playing the current SWG-NGE, you saved yourself $15, and you are in a place where you can get a drink or two to kill the pain.

Perfect.

You know you so called whining Vets take the biscuit sometimes , anyone who dares post in your so called Veteran refuge gets instantly flamed if they try to make a positive comment about SWG, yet you all love to come to any thread you can hijack  to give crap unwarranted advice to people.

As another poster mentioned the people who play SWG now  ( and enjoy it for what it is ) are more Vets now than you lot ever were. Get over it Get a Life and if you cant,go crawl back under you bitter and twisted little rock you call the Vets Refuge.

Oh yeah and to the OP , give it a go you might be pleasantly suprised. I played when it first came out and still play now and again especially with having the brilliant value Station Access Sub !

Right back at you.

It is people like you that are the problem. Why? Because SOE figured out that they could do whatever they wanted to their customers, and some people, like you, would still apologize and defend their decisions, shill SWG to new players that don't know any better, and most importantly, keep paying their $15.

How many times has Smedhead or other devs come out with a statement saying "This game is no where near fun yet" or "We realize that all this stuff is broken, and we are working to fix it (most of which never happen)"? Many times. And how often have they cut the price or offered non-canceled people free months/weeks of play? Never. Why? Because they don't care about their current players, only the ones they don't have anymore and might be suckered into coming back. How many vet trials have there been? 3 or 4 in the last year.

It's called "Enabling bad corporate behavior" and it is what many of the current SWG fanboi types do. SWG, in it's current form, is bad. It has had many of it's most complex and rewarding game mechanics stripped away, and it STILL doesn't work. It's a barely functional Beta, after 5 years and on its 3rd core game system.

They screwed all of we "vets" over, wrecking the characters we built, the community we built, and the items/resources/economy we built to chase more subs. And we hold them accountable, by letting people know what they did and not to play this game or others by SOE because of their bad behavior.

Get over it? Most of us are over it, playing SWG that is. We are also over ever playing another SOE title again.

Think SOE won't screw you over in the same way? Just wait.... and we'll give you the world's biggest "I told you so!" when they do.

You know the sad thing and its really sad ,is that you people actually believe that anybody gives a shit, they dont ,no one except people like yourself care about Pre NGE most especially people that are playing the game now , and as far as SOE are concerned I personally  been a subscriber with them in one or another for years and have only ever had a good experience, and I'm sure that alot of people would agree they offer great games for good value and are constantly improving all the time.

Ok I'll agree that the NGE was'nt the best thing to happen but hey it did, Shit Happens get over it.

And stop slinging so much unwarranted crap at SOE , they are a great force in the Mmo industry and are partly responsible for most of the great stuff that people can play. Furthermore they offer the best value for money subscrption package you can find so hey

right back at you too.

Oh and BTW people like me ? If I dont like something I'll hit the cancel button and not spend all my time spreading hate .

You sound kinda hateful to me tbh, at people that felt burned by SOE.  In fact as I read through this thread a lot of the posts sound hateful, derogatory etc..  Some people hate what SOE did to their game, and maybe some people hate SOE.  Can you see that the stuff you vent at those people though doesn't sound any less hateful?  It just sounds a bit more personal actually, in that you direct your comments specifically to other players, or posters. 

Hating and what not aside.  If the OP hasn't played earlier versions of the game, he's probably simply not aware of all the things others really miss.  I haven't played since they brought back things like camps and a form of creature handling.  I also haven't played since they introduced the collection system.  I also hear that entertainers have more of a role to play in the game again.  (In fairness to other vets, I want to mention that a lot of those that post in the forums have taken free trials a number of times to check out the state of the game, and some of them have done this recently. So to say that they haven't played the game in 2 years is really just false.  Jeez I even played it for 6 months after the NGE, and then played again about 6 months later for a period of 2 months when I found a time card under my desk lol.)

Regarding recent changes though, my questions would be, "Do these (re)introduced things actually work?"  and "If they work, are they enjoyable?"  Asking here, checking the SOE boards, maybe checking some reviews here at MMORPG and taking a free trial seem like good ways to make a decision.  There have definitely been some changes, do they work and are they fun?  Well if you take a trial, let us know.

Tbh I'm curious about the entertainer buffs that have been added lately.  Do they work? I've heard mixed reviews.  What kind of buffs do they have now?  Has this restored life to the cantinas?

No sorry I'm not hateful I dont hate anybody or anything ,If something upsets me I'll dust myself of and move on, yeah I feel the people that were so upset by what SOE did to their game and I'll agree I did'nt like it either but its seems in this case whats done is done , I dont know what is it now 2 years ago ?. Its just got to be time to move on and leave well alone.

Regardless of what anyone thinks here its not going to change anytime soon, you know I'm a long time SOE customer and TBH yeah I get pissed when they do certain thing and I know they have alot of customer service shortfalls, I do however believe that the good in SOE out weighs the bad, I also believe they care passionatley about what they do and provide a great service to Mmo industry.

As I said I'm a subscriber and yeah they do sometimes get my goat , and believe it  or not they did with the NGE , but you know what lifes to short to stay bitter and twisted about things we have no control over,SOE may or may not change things at some point but hey if they dont its just not worth wasting your precious time over .

maybe SWG Vets should apply this to their thoughts !

"grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

the courage to change the things I can;

and the wisdom to know the difference"   

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

You know the sad thing and its really sad ,is that you people actually believe that anybody gives a shit, they dont ,no one except people like yourself care about Pre NGE most especially people that are playing the game now , and as far as SOE are concerned I personally been a subscriber with them in one or another for years and have only ever had a good experience, and I'm sure that alot of people would agree they offer great games for good value and are constantly improving all the time.

OK I have to ding in on this one, it's funny how I meet people in almost every game I play and also sometimes IRL (though I never talk about computer related stuff IRL) and it's very very very very well known about what SOE has done, and 99% of the people I meet says the same thing- they DO give a shit about a company that pulled a bait'n'switch on us. SOE also lost a good chunk of subscribers across the board on their other games in mid 2006 and throughout 2007.

I was perfectly fine with the combat upgrade, we all knew about the CU since publish 8-9 but none of us knew about the NGE until a week before it went live and that was through rumors. Even if it was properlly announced and gave us more time to test it on testcenter, I still would have not liked it, what was wrong with the CU?

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Perfect.

Right back at you.

right back at you too.

No sorry I'm not hateful I dont hate anybody or anything ,If something upsets me I'll dust myself of and move on, yeah I feel the people that were so upset by what SOE did to their game and I'll agree I did'nt like it either but its seems in this case whats done is done , I dont know what is it now 2 years ago ?. Its just got to be time to move on and leave well alone.

Regardless of what anyone thinks here its not going to change anytime soon, you know I'm a long time SOE customer and TBH yeah I get pissed when they do certain thing and I know they have alot of customer service shortfalls, I do however believe that the good in SOE out weighs the bad, I also believe they care passionatley about what they do and provide a great service to Mmo industry.

As I said I'm a subscriber and yeah they do sometimes get my goat , and believe it  or not they did with the NGE , but you know what lifes to short to stay bitter and twisted about things we have no control over,SOE may or may not change things at some point but hey if they dont its just not worth wasting your precious time over .

"grant me the serenity

The "Serenity Prayer" does have a lot going for it in my mind, I'll agree with you there.  The challenge comes in deciding what "I" (we) can or cannot change--perhaps influence is a better word.

Evidently some people think that they're making "a difference" in the world by warning other consumers about a particular company's track record of unethical and hurtful behaviour.  Does it make a difference to hold people accountable for their actions in the court of public opinion?  Perhaps, perhaps not; sometimes it's difficult to evaluate how influential this is.  If these warnings lead the company in question to act with more integrity, then they have had an influence.  If these warnings enable consumer's to make an informed decision about a service and a service provider, well then they'll either pass on the service and the risk of getting burned, or they'll go into the deal with their eyes open.  Either way, no one is in for any nasty surprises.  Again, some kind of difference is made.

When vets say that the game still has serious bugs in it that SOE hasn't addressed in over 2 years in some cases?  Is that untrue?  No, it simply is not.  Helpful information for the consumer interested in the quality of a product?  Yes, I think so. 

When vets say that SOE has a historical pattern of making changes to the game that create new dynamics in the game at the expense of old ones, and that people who invest themselves in a certain aspect of the game may find that this aspect is significantly changed one day, is that untrue?  No again.  Helpful information to the consumer?  Again, I think so.

Is it helpful for the consumer to know that certain servers are populated, while others are largely deserted?  I'd like to know this going in.  I'd also like to know which servers are populated so I can make an educated decision.

What about applying the serenity prayer to the notion of trying to silence others who want to share their experience with SOE?  Can you really effectively cause people to stop voicing their concerns?  If their concerns have any legitimacy, why would you want to?  What's the agenda there?  Does it really demonstrate to consumers that SOE is a reputable company or that current SWG player's are a nice, fun group of people to interact with by telling others to go "crawl back under their twisted rock?" 

It's always easier to see how the serenity prayer should be employed by someone else.  The challenge is in deciding how we can apply it to our own lives.

• jaxscorpio34jaxscorpio34 Member Posts: 204

"grant me the serenity

That's the funny thing about human beings, we tend to have long memories and most certainly hold grudges.  It's easy to tell these people to just let it go and move on but we all know that's not likely to happen anytime in the near future.  These people were all wronged, myself included, by SOE and that is something we'll likely never forget and certainly will never forgive.  I am sure SOE is as surprised as you are that people are still upset about this 2 years later.  In my opinion though, being upset this long should be a clear indication at just how badly these people believe SOE treated them as customers.

And here's a quote I find useful in situations like this,

"If you can forgive but not forget then you haven't forgiven."

If I can't forget the way SOE treated me then I certainly can't forgive them.

Originally posted by jaxscorpio34

"grant me the serenity

That's the funny thing about human beings, we tend to have long memories and most certainly hold grudges.  It's easy to tell these people to just let it go and move on but we all know that's not likely to happen anytime in the near future.  These people were all wronged, myself included, by SOE and that is something we'll likely never forget and certainly will never forgive.  I am sure SOE is as surprised as you are that people are still upset about this 2 years later.  In my opinion though, being upset this long should be a clear indication at just how badly these people believe SOE treated them as customers.

And here's a quote I find useful in situations like this,

"If you can forgive but not forget then you haven't forgiven."

If I can't forget the way SOE treated me then I certainly can't forgive them.

I think I forgave them a while ago.  I don't harbour any resentment at this point or hold onto any vengeful thoughts.  Kinda like I forgave the guy who lied to me about the condition of a used car I bought once lol.  Man what a lemon.  I still however let people know, especially if they ask, which used car dealership not to shop at.  Hey I just don't want to see people get burned like I did.  If I tell them my experience and they still choose to shop there, well that's their perogative.  I respect that.  Likewise if other people had a good experience there, it doesn't bother me when they talk about it.  I take the same approach to SWG.  I forgave SOE for the garbage, but I tell people about my experience.  If people have had a good experience, well ok, that's cool.  If people wanna play it regardless of their past record, cool again.  Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I think an important thing to realize here is that public voice is all we have anymore to rely on for information.  All media is severely tainted these days by advertising.  If a company does wrong, the only way we can be sure to KNOW is through other people telling us about it.

Vets are so aggressive about this matter because the conflict is terrible.  We all expect our MMO's to change over time, little things here and there....some polish to things we already like.  No one expects a complete trashing of a game you enjoyed to be remade into a game that holds nearly no semblance to the thing you loved.  Its essentially a bait and switch.  I realize that means little to the player that hasn't endured it.  I don't often bring it up to them.  But it does set a standard for how the company behind it operates.  That standard is something I feel important for everyone to know.  At least if they know, then I don't feel like someone is robbing them.  At that point, they are just robbing themselves, if indeed any such "Robbing" were to occur.

But you can't hate on people who strive to voice their view on SOE.  That information is important to new consumers, and its info you can't get anywhere else because of how tight lipped reviewers are anymore.  The Used Car Dealer example given above was very good.  As community, gamers have to look out for and protect one another.  Just like any other community.  We have to because the corporate end of this spectrum will NOT.  

As always, its not that SWG may not be fun now....its that the guys running this show have NO qualms about completely destroying everything you may like about it eventually....for no other reason than the fact THEY feel they understand better than YOU what it is YOU want to play.  I, for one, don't even want to give it a chance.  I'll not be made a fool of twice.

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455

Originally posted by Gishgeron

I think an important thing to realize here is that public voice is all we have anymore to rely on for information.  All media is severely tainted these days by advertising.  If a company does wrong, the only way we can be sure to KNOW is through other people telling us about it.

Vets are so aggressive about this matter because the conflict is terrible.  We all expect our MMO's to change over time, little things here and there....some polish to things we already like.  No one expects a complete trashing of a game you enjoyed to be remade into a game that holds nearly no semblance to the thing you loved.  Its essentially a bait and switch.  I realize that means little to the player that hasn't endured it.  I don't often bring it up to them.  But it does set a standard for how the company behind it operates.  That standard is something I feel important for everyone to know.  At least if they know, then I don't feel like someone is robbing them.  At that point, they are just robbing themselves, if indeed any such "Robbing" were to occur.

But you can't hate on people who strive to voice their view on SOE.  That information is important to new consumers, and its info you can't get anywhere else because of how tight lipped reviewers are anymore.  The Used Car Dealer example given above was very good.  As community, gamers have to look out for and protect one another.  Just like any other community.  We have to because the corporate end of this spectrum will NOT.  

As always, its not that SWG may not be fun now....its that the guys running this show have NO qualms about completely destroying everything you may like about it eventually....for no other reason than the fact THEY feel they understand better than YOU what it is YOU want to play.  I, for one, don't even want to give it a chance.  I'll not be made a fool of twice.
    I can hate on players who pull out numbers/facts from thin air to any new/returning player questioning in the discussion forum, especially when they havent played the game for 2+ years; they're opinion is severly distorted due to their anger, for some strange reason these peopleallow this anger, which should have gone by now, to manifest itself by trying to make sure other people dont enjoy the game.

They did show qualms and apologised - different people run the game now anyway.

• Lunchbox76Lunchbox76 Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by saay
    Originally posted by Gishgeron I think an important thing to realize here is that public voice is all we have anymore to rely on for information. All media is severely tainted these days by advertising. If a company does wrong, the only way we can be sure to KNOW is through other people telling us about it.

Vets are so aggressive about this matter because the conflict is terrible. We all expect our MMO's to change over time, little things here and there....some polish to things we already like. No one expects a complete trashing of a game you enjoyed to be remade into a game that holds nearly no semblance to the thing you loved. Its essentially a bait and switch. I realize that means little to the player that hasn't endured it. I don't often bring it up to them. But it does set a standard for how the company behind it operates. That standard is something I feel important for everyone to know. At least if they know, then I don't feel like someone is robbing them. At that point, they are just robbing themselves, if indeed any such "Robbing" were to occur.

But you can't hate on people who strive to voice their view on SOE. That information is important to new consumers, and its info you can't get anywhere else because of how tight lipped reviewers are anymore. The Used Car Dealer example given above was very good. As community, gamers have to look out for and protect one another. Just like any other community. We have to because the corporate end of this spectrum will NOT.

As always, its not that SWG may not be fun now....its that the guys running this show have NO qualms about completely destroying everything you may like about it eventually....for no other reason than the fact THEY feel they understand better than YOU what it is YOU want to play. I, for one, don't even want to give it a chance. I'll not be made a fool of twice.
    I can hate on players who pull out numbers/facts from thin air to any new/returning player questioning in the discussion forum, especially when they havent played the game for 2+ years; they're opinion is severly distorted due to their anger, for some strange reason these peopleallow this anger, which should have gone by now, to manifest itself by trying to make sure other people dont enjoy the game.

Last time I checked Smedly was still in charge.

Playing Fallen Earth.

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455
    Originally posted by Lunchbox76

I think an important thing to realize here is that public voice is all we have anymore to rely on for information. All media is severely tainted these days by advertising. If a company does wrong, the only way we can be sure to KNOW is through other people telling us about it.

Vets are so aggressive about this matter because the conflict is terrible. We all expect our MMO's to change over time, little things here and there....some polish to things we already like. No one expects a complete trashing of a game you enjoyed to be remade into a game that holds nearly no semblance to the thing you loved. Its essentially a bait and switch. I realize that means little to the player that hasn't endured it. I don't often bring it up to them. But it does set a standard for how the company behind it operates. That standard is something I feel important for everyone to know. At least if they know, then I don't feel like someone is robbing them. At that point, they are just robbing themselves, if indeed any such "Robbing" were to occur.

But you can't hate on people who strive to voice their view on SOE. That information is important to new consumers, and its info you can't get anywhere else because of how tight lipped reviewers are anymore. The Used Car Dealer example given above was very good. As community, gamers have to look out for and protect one another. Just like any other community. We have to because the corporate end of this spectrum will NOT.

As always, its not that SWG may not be fun now....its that the guys running this show have NO qualms about completely destroying everything you may like about it eventually....for no other reason than the fact THEY feel they understand better than YOU what it is YOU want to play. I, for one, don't even want to give it a chance. I'll not be made a fool of twice.

I was refering to the development team. Anyway Smedly accepted the NGE was a mistake and thats why they are trying to improve they game, and IMHO succeeding

I think an important thing to realize here is that public voice is all we have anymore to rely on for information. All media is severely tainted these days by advertising. If a company does wrong, the only way we can be sure to KNOW is through other people telling us about it.

I was refering to the development team. Anyway Smedly accepted the NGE was a mistake and thats why they are trying to improve they game, and IMHO succeeding

My persoal issue with that (again, my issue...not for everyone) is that admitting it was a mistake and then continuing to do it is pretty stupid.  If a guy walked up to you and said "Hey, I snort coke and its not a good ideal" but then continued to do it, you would probably consider him a fool.

Smedly messed up, and admits it...but doesn't do the ONE thing he could to fix it.  Its not even hard, I KNOW they still have that data somewhere.  Admitting NGE was a mistake should have been step one in realizing that the majority of his players wanted the playstyle and character advancement of old-school SWG.  By not changing it back, he shows that he still really doesn't care what we think at all.  He will force this system on us...even if he knows it won't work.

Besides...honestly, if you want a game that levels like WoW and plays like WoW...why not just play WoW?  They have more polish to their system and lightyears more players to back it up.  To beat all...they make so much more money from those players that they can afford more devs and GMs to keep that game running at top notch.  All SWG can do is flounder with its minimal income and skeleton crew that comes as a result.  I have no ideal what they were thinking in the first place.  To try and compete by fighting fire with fire...silly gooses just made the first fire bigger is all.  By running off all the players they had.

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162

^^  Well said  ^^

Originally posted by Baio2k

^^  Well said  ^^

Thank you.

Even if this game is dead to me...I still have alot of strong feelings about what happened here.  My personal hope is that other companies and players read this stuff at some point and take steps to make better choices.

My persoal issue with that (again, my issue...not for everyone) is that admitting it was a mistake and then continuing to do it is pretty stupid.  If a guy walked up to you and said "Hey, I snort coke and its not a good ideal" but then continued to do it, you would probably consider him a fool.

Smedly messed up, and admits it...but doesn't do the ONE thing he could to fix it.  Its not even hard, I KNOW they still have that data somewhere.  Admitting NGE was a mistake should have been step one in realizing that the majority of his players wanted the playstyle and character advancement of old-school SWG.  By not changing it back, he shows that he still really doesn't care what we think at all.  He will force this system on us...even if he knows it won't work.

Besides...honestly, if you want a game that levels like WoW and plays like WoW...why not just play WoW?  They have more polish to their system and lightyears more players to back it up.  To beat all...they make so much more money from those players that they can afford more devs and GMs to keep that game running at top notch.  All SWG can do is flounder with its minimal income and skeleton crew that comes as a result.  I have no ideal what they were thinking in the first place.  To try and compete by fighting fire with fire...silly gooses just made the first fire bigger is all.  By running off all the players they had.

Reverting the game, at this point, would NOT be showing that they learned from their mistakes.  Say what you want, but those that picked up the game after all this happened need to be considered too. 

To say SWG plays like WoW is to show that you really have no idea of how SWG plays today.

• iwantmyswgiwantmyswg Member Posts: 301

Reverting the game, at this point, would NOT be showing that they learned from their mistakes.  Say what you want, but those that picked up the game after all this happened need to be considered too. 

To say SWG plays like WoW is to show that you really have no idea of how SWG plays today.

rolling the game back is the only way to save swg at this point and you know it too. there are under 10k players left in the game and that number is dropping ever month or week.

obraik you are a good guy stop defending soe and swg nge and help us vets reclaim what was taken from us. the greatest mmo system and game ever made. we both know if pre-cu comes back 250k players will be back in no time and the game will be fun again.

• jaxscorpio34jaxscorpio34 Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by iwantmyswg

rolling the game back is the only way to save swg at this point and you know it too. there are under 10k players left in the game and that number is dropping ever month or week.

obraik you are a good guy stop defending soe and swg nge and help us vets reclaim what was taken from us. the greatest mmo system and game ever made. we both know if pre-cu comes back 250k players will be back in no time and the game will be fun again.

I do believe your mistaken on that point.  Some people, probably more than I'd even begin to imagine, will never return to SWG because of the way SOE has treated them.  I honestly don't believe there's anything SOE can ever do, even rolling back the servers, to win back the trust of these people, myself included.  At this point the best solution for vets is to just sit back and wait for another SW MMO to hit the market and stop praying for this fantasy pre-NGE server that we all know will never happen.  The window of opportunity for that server closed a long time ago.  Hopefully the next SW MMO won't be run by SOE and, if it is, we will know not to even bother picking it up off the shelf.

Originally posted by iwantmyswg

Rolling the game back won't do anything to save the game, it'll only set things back - it's not a magic option that will bring peace to SWG, infact I'm pretty sure reverting would kill it.  Under 10k players?  Making up numbers is not going to do anything to make me understand your opinion.

My point is valid and on target friend.

WoW is a Classic MMO, in fact...the most refined and polished one to date.  The entire NGE removed the unique system it had and replaced it with a "copy/paste" Classic MMO design.  The same design that runs EQ, EQ2, WoW, LOTR, and nearly every F2P game ever made.  Its purely level based, with some VERY minor tweaking you can do via "talents" or a system with similar function but different name depending on what game its found in.  Your skills comes as the result of what level you are.

So, in effect...yes the game DOES play just like wow.  I can no longer blend elements of classes together...cannot become a purely crafting-tradeskillesque character.  I must adhere to the confines of their strict classes and cannot become anything more than that.  I must hunt down their loot by killing monsters that everyone knows has it.

I'm not sure what form of shill you are Oberik, and I doubt I care to cater to whatever mundane need you have to argue this point with me.  I can assure you this, suggesting that a rollback would destroy the game is pure madness.  But, just for the sake of those whom actually enjoy this "new" game a better choice is servers dedicated to the Pre-Cu.  This way they don't alienate anyone...and in fact offer new players a chance to taste the game in its origional glory.  As a matter of fact...it would even offer us vets a peacable way to taste the new stuff in a way that wasn't quite so invasive and rude.

Care to discuss?

• TasloTaslo Member Posts: 7

Ok, now I don't want to crush toes or anything like that, I just want to put forth my opinions and get some mature discussion going. First of all I did the original Jedi grind way back when, in fact I had just recently finished it and was soooo incredibly pumped about it when the Jedi hatchery burst forth on the scene. That's when I stopped playing initially. I was upset like a lot of people about how things had come to pass and just plain was tired of seeing all the lightsabers around. That was almost 3 years ago now. I came back about two weeks ago and have thrown myself into the game with full force and am having a very good time.

To say that SWG has like 10 RPers is grossly incorrect. Starsider, my server has it's own RP forum and website with hundreds of members.

Another matter I would like to bring your attention to is the Galactic senate. It is a body of PLAYERS that work directly with the DEV's to make the game more enjoyable and bring about change. If you are really trying to bring about change why aren't you on the SWG Senate forum talking to them? They are the ones that can help bring the game around to what you are looking for. I hope I don't hear that the Senators won't listen or they don't, because they have been very receptive to me and have already started to make the next round of changes to make the game more enjoyable.

TO THE OP - the game is a great deal of fun and I think you will enjoy it. If you want help getting back into it at all come on down to Starsider and ask for Taslo Masunia

Originally posted by Taslo

Ok, now I don't want to crush toes or anything like that, I just want to put forth my opinions and get some mature discussion going. First of all I did the original Jedi grind way back when, in fact I had just recently finished it and was soooo incredibly pumped about it when the Jedi hatchery burst forth on the scene. That's when I stopped playing initially. I was upset like a lot of people about how things had come to pass and just plain was tired of seeing all the lightsabers around. That was almost 3 years ago now. I came back about two weeks ago and have thrown myself into the game with full force and am having a very good time.
    To say that SWG has like 10 RPers is grossly incorrect. Starsider, my server has it's own RP forum and website with hundreds of members.
    Another matter I would like to bring your attention to is the Galactic senate. It is a body of PLAYERS that work directly with the DEV's to make the game more enjoyable and bring about change. If you are really trying to bring about change why aren't you on the SWG Senate forum talking to them? They are the ones that can help bring the game around to what you are looking for. I hope I don't hear that the Senators won't listen or they don't, because they have been very receptive to me and have already started to make the next round of changes to make the game more enjoyable.

TO THE OP - the game is a great deal of fun and I think you will enjoy it. If you want help getting back into it at all come on down to Starsider and ask for Taslo Masunia

We dont go to the SWG forums because SOE has already very openly and harshly told us that our views on this matter are of no consequence. 

To put it simply, I love nothing about the system that the game currently operates on as I have found other games which use a similar one but provide far more content and polish for it.  As the only thing I enjoy about the game was what it was before NGE, and they have stated outright that anyone wanting that game back can shove it, I feel that my voice would not only be ignored....but severely quieted.

In fact, given what they say about us over there...I bet I just get labeled as a grumpy vet and told to shut up.  It doesn't matter at any rate, SOE will do nothing about this.  I don't really want to bring the players into a personal "war" against a company.  They have their minds set in one way and mine is quite the opposite.  I don't fault them.  I will never let go of my seething hatred for SOE as a result of this.  Thankfully...this mindset has saved me at least once already, I chose not to even try Vanguard because they touched it and it turns out I wisely saved 50 bucks on that.

But you are most welcome to continue this discussion in whatever manner you'd like with me.  I'll be more than happy to delve into whatever topic you would like.  Like I said, I'm not waging a war against the players who like the game (Some here might be though lol).