Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what is this now ? Veterans are not welcome to the game and new customers dont like the game ?

Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

So veterans are told:

"don't expect this game beeing the one you played pre-cu, if you go, dont forget to close the door behind you"

and new customers are apparently not liking this game, how do I know ?

well this game gets bad ratings on every respectable online portal and for some gaming magazines its not even worthy a "review", which is pretty bad for the game, since its one of the greatest IP's, which used by the right company could become a great success, because whenever you see the star wars movies you might consider playing this game :)

so what is this ? this game is not able to gain veterans back, since SOE refuses to rollback to pre-cu for whatever reason and can't gain new customers, because SOE underestimates the veterans voice...

it all looks really odd to me, I wonder why SOE still has a lucas arts license, since they were not able to correct their mistakes during the last 2 years.

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

Comments

• Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

and why do some fanbois even try to convience other players that this game is doin good, when its clear that it does not ?

for example: Obraik on mmorpg.com who always finds a positive word for NGE/ SOE.

all of this really makes me wonder sometimes why nobody is doin something against it ?

a solution would be:

mmorpg.com to remove star wars galaxies from the gaming list:

Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

• jaxscorpio34jaxscorpio34 Member Posts: 204

Originally posted by Pjay2k

and why do some fanbois even try to convience other players that this game is doin good, when its clear that it does not ?

for example: Obraik on mmorpg.com who always finds a positive word for NGE/ SOE.

all of this really makes me wonder sometimes why nobody is doin something against it ?

a solution would be:

But but but people have already done something against it.  As proof, just look at some of the stores where we buy games. 

Go to Bestbuy.com and type Star Wars Galaxies in the search engine.  They no longer sell the game or its expansions online or in their stores.

Now go to Circuitcity.com and type Star Wars Galaxies in the search engine.  The ONLY game that comes up is the JTL expansion but it's "Not available for in store pick up."

How can anyone possibly expect this game to survive in the long run if people don't even know it exists?   Oh, that's right, you won't see it in a store but it's available via DD.  Hmm, how exactly do they expect people to know that since they do not advertise the game?  The answer:  Word of mouth advertising.  This is laughable.  For every person who says "Play this game it's fun."  there are two or three who will say, "this game and SOE both suck so don't waste your money."  It's kind of hard to get their positive word of mouth advertising out there when SOE has burned its bridges with so many dedicated Star Wars fans.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Just because people don't like the game doesn't mean it should be removed from the list.  It is still a functional game and hasn't closed the doors yet.

• HelloKirbyHelloKirby Member CommonPosts: 110

From what I know SOE has a bad reputation.  SWG sounds good because it is a starwars game but word of mouth says something else.    SWG needs a company that actually likes starwars and will work their fingers off making it awesome. 

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by jaxscorpio34

How can anyone possibly expect this game to survive in the long run if people don't even know it exists?   Oh, that's right, you won't see it in a store but it's available via DD.  Hmm, how exactly do they expect people to know that since they do not advertise the game?  The answer:  Word of mouth advertising.  This is laughable.  For every person who says "Play this game it's fun."  there are two or three who will say, "this game and SOE both suck so don't waste your money."  It's kind of hard to get their positive word of mouth advertising out there when SOE has burned its bridges with so many dedicated Star Wars fans.

Unfortunately for the braintrust of SOE, they forgot that word of mouth can be favorable or unfavorable, and they managed to create around 200k negative advertisers with the NGE.

They did this three ways:

The changes of the NGE, replacing their existing different game system with the same old same old MMORPG formula system (skill based vs levels w/rigid classes, basically).

The manner in which they imposed the change

Their fundamental contempt for their customers

These are NOT ways to create positive word of mouth for their service.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• NorthDragonNorthDragon Member Posts: 10

I just got e-letter concerning the new content coming up in SWG and I thought I might give it a go. Istill think that Jumpt to Lightspeed is very good expansion, reminded of the Tie Fighter/X-wing era. I think they should get the old skill system back and concentrate more on building the civil war in space and on ground, especially in space :) If I'd make Star wars galaxies II it would include: Old skill system, knight of the old republic/Mass Effect like ground combat and Jump to Lightspeed for space (which also needs, hmm how I say, improving?) That kind of Star wars is fun.

• ElgarLElgarL Member UncommonPosts: 191

I played the trial as a new player, having never seen the game pre-CU or pre NGE.

As an MMO with no history, it's an OK game. Too many bugs and no community mean it will never gain in subscriptions. Abandoned towns litter the landscape and make the place feel like an abandoned game.

Bugs which have clearly been in game for years ruin the immersion.

When playing it feels like a plastic toy world, not one you are truly interacting with.

I liked the game and it's concept, but the bugs ruined it. On top of all that SOE has terrible update hosting which takes forever (if you are even able) to get a game patched. I've played the trials of MxO, SWG and EQ2. I own a copy of VG and ALL of them have problems updating.

The single launcher is a nice idea but as with every other SOE product, it's bugged to hell, and SOE don't listen to players feedback.

Creator of ELTank and Nostalgia

• Jenus1Jenus1 Member Posts: 162

Whether or not you don't personally like it, and whether or not people play it, or don't.

The fact is that it's a commercial MMORPG, and MMORPG.COM carries no bias towards any game company or game, no-matter how much you hate the game, it won't be removed from the list.

Because you 'Don't like it' It's not going to be removed from the list, the faster you accept that and move on, the faster we can stop these childish threads from being created.

Thanks for reading.

Pre-cu Fanbois,
    There will be no rollback.
    Go outside - Get a life,
    It's not coming back.
    We arn't giving you your game-back.
    So go outside, and realize that you've wasted 2 years.
    Pre-cu Fanbois.

Originally posted by NorthDragon

I just got e-letter concerning the new content coming up in SWG and I thought I might give it a go. Istill think that Jumpt to Lightspeed is very good expansion, reminded of the Tie Fighter/X-wing era. I think they should get the old skill system back and concentrate more on building the civil war in space and on ground, especially in space :) If I'd make Star wars galaxies II it would include: Old skill system, knight of the old republic/Mass Effect like ground combat and Jump to Lightspeed for space (which also needs, hmm how I say, improving?) That kind of Star wars is fun.

While I agree that JTL is fun, it would have been much better if they had included some form of atmospheric flight.  Hell, just including cut away scenes showing your ship leaving the starport and entering orbit would have been enough to satisfy me.  instead, we got click the button, loading screen, you're in space.  It was quite a let down and not at all what I expected when JTL was announced.  I also believe they went way overboard when adding asteroids and other space debris in some systems, such as Dathomir.  The extra debris and graphics generate far too much lag if you don't have a great computer and, in space, more lag = death.

As far as the new content goes, meh.  There are other games on the market that have much more engaging and polished instances than SWG.  Granted, they may not be of a Star Wars nature but at least I've never had a problem getting me or my groups into them.  Nor have I had a problem with mob pathing, etc. while inside the instances.  SWG has been plagued with problems like these since the first instance was released in Rage of the Wookiees and those problems only got worse when ToOW hit the market.  I find it rather amusing that a company with a long history in MMO gaming can't even build an instance system without bugs while other companies who have only been in the business for a very short time can execute instanced dungeons flawlessly.

• Originally posted by Pjay2k

a solution would be:

Some of the Fanbois are so deeply afflicted with Stockholm Syndrome that if Smed came to their house and let loose a big steaming turd right int he middle of their living room floor they'd find ways to excuse it.

Originally posted by salvaje

Some of the Fanbois are so deeply afflicted with Stockholm Syndrome that if Smed came to their house and let loose a big steaming turd right int he middle of their living room floor they'd find ways to excuse it.

Woohoo!  New content!  This clearly shows that SOE cares for its customers.  Most other companies wouldn't even attempt to bring us content this fresh.  Oh look, I think he ate corn for lunch.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

SWG is dying, and there is enough concern over at the $OE boards where a thread has started asking current players to please review/change former negative game opinions on various web sites to positive  ones in order attract new players.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=578565

They just do not get it. IF the game was truly good, it couldn't help but attract new players. Over 200k  ex-players seems to send a much more clearer message than the handful touting how great the NGE is today. An untold number of ex-players have come back for trial visits and still do not stick around, which should also be another clear message to the devs and the concerned playerbase. Insulting the disgruntled veterans seems to be the only way the fanbois can lash out in frustration. SWG/NGE game itself drives off players, not the disgruntled players. It is up to $OE to do something about it.

• Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by Kazara

They just do not get it. IF the game was truly good, it couldn't help but attract new players. Over 200k  ex-players seems to send a much more clearer message than the handful touting how great the NGE is today. An untold number of ex-players have come back for trial visits and still do not stick around, which should also be another clear message to the devs and the concerned playerbase. Insulting the disgruntled veterans seems to be the only way the fanbois can lash out in frustration. SWG/NGE game itself drives off players, not the disgruntled players. It is up to $OE to do something about it.

amen.

• It's like a Scooby-Doo ending...

(Old Man Smed unmasked)

Smed: "if it weren't for those MEDDLING "vocal minority vets, I'd have gotten away with it"

• Prime8Prime8 Member CommonPosts: 108

Agrees totally with Kazara , SWG NGE is its own worst enemy .

• DarkstryderDarkstryder Member Posts: 207

It's like a Scooby-Doo ending...
    (Old Man Smed unmasked)
    Smed: "if it weren't for those MEDDLING "vocal minority vets, I'd have gotten away with it"

Lol so true.

It could also be "if it had'nt been for the NGE being so unbelievably $hite, I'd have gotten away with it"

Maybe he actually said that now that I think about it, but then went on to say "the quality had rocketed", would match up with his usual BS and back tracking.

• the_lizardthe_lizard Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by NorthDragon

While I agree that JTL is fun, it would have been much better if they had included some form of atmospheric flight.  Hell, just including cut away scenes showing your ship leaving the starport and entering orbit would have been enough to satisfy me.  instead, we got click the button, loading screen, you're in space.  It was quite a let down and not at all what I expected when JTL was announced.  I also believe they went way overboard when adding asteroids and other space debris in some systems, such as Dathomir.  The extra debris and graphics generate far too much lag if you don't have a great computer and, in space, more lag = death.

As far as the new content goes, meh.  There are other games on the market that have much more engaging and polished instances than SWG.  Granted, they may not be of a Star Wars nature but at least I've never had a problem getting me or my groups into them.  Nor have I had a problem with mob pathing, etc. while inside the instances.  SWG has been plagued with problems like these since the first instance was released in Rage of the Wookiees and those problems only got worse when ToOW hit the market.  I find it rather amusing that a company with a long history in MMO gaming can't even build an instance system without bugs while other companies who have only been in the business for a very short time can execute instanced dungeons flawlessly.

SOE doesn't build games they just buy out companies that do.

• epf1epf1 Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Pjay2k

a solution would be:

Have a look around, especially in this forum, also at other places. You will find lots of negativity towards the SWG/NGE, SOE and LucasArts, so I can't really understand why you are saying that noone does anything about the craptastic SWG/NGE issue!

Also, sorry! I can't vote on your poll because...

I think these forums, again especially this one, should remain as a testamony and reminder to all MMO players and especially to the MMO industry of what bad management, egoistic pride and arrogance will result to (Yes! I'm talking about SOE and LucasArts!)!

In my oppinion there are only two things that SOE and LucasArts can do to stop the flood of negativity and bad reputation they are constantly receiving. Shutdown SWG and just write it off, or bring back pre-CU servers in paralell to the current SWG/NGE. I can't speak for others, but it would at least make me go silent again.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

But but but people have already done something against it. As proof, just look at some of the stores where we buy games.

Go to Bestbuy.com and type Star Wars Galaxies in the search engine. They no longer sell the game or its expansions online or in their stores.

Now go to Circuitcity.com and type Star Wars Galaxies in the search engine. The ONLY game that comes up is the JTL expansion but it's "Not available for in store pick up."

They seemed to have halted packaged production. It's still available through digital download through SOE store or direct2drive, it's SOE's latest market strategy probably to cut back on expenses, which isn't a very good way to gain new customers. And that Smedley is pushing all SOE MMOs to eventually be only subscribed through station access.

My local EB Games doesn't even carry SWG time cards, they'd have to order in the regular SOE card (EQ2/Planetside/VG/SWG). I have a feeling NCSoft is going to follow suit on this strategy with its PlayNC launcher.

• We've killed it.  SWG doesn't have even 30K subs left, has a tiny (and incompetent) Dev team, and 22 of 25 servers virtually empty.

Since they wouldn't take it back, they left us only with the option of killing the game.

• Jenus1Jenus1 Member Posts: 162

We've killed it.  SWG doesn't have even 30K subs left, has a tiny (and incompetent) Dev team, and 22 of 25 servers virtually empty.
    Since they wouldn't take it back, they left us only with the option of killing the game.

You talk as though your words carry weight and mean something, but sadly they don't.

Pre-cu Fanbois,
    There will be no rollback.
    Go outside - Get a life,
    It's not coming back.
    We arn't giving you your game-back.
    So go outside, and realize that you've wasted 2 years.
    Pre-cu Fanbois.

• Originally posted by Jenus1

We've killed it.  SWG doesn't have even 30K subs left, has a tiny (and incompetent) Dev team, and 22 of 25 servers virtually empty.

You talk as though your words carry weight and mean something, but sadly they don't.

They mean more than you know.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Jenus1

I'm not sad that your words mean nothing. There really isn't anything the SWG fanboi can say to the empty servers, bugs, and now decimated community which SWG now enjoys. All of those are there for anyone to see.

And a single person's opinion might not matter much, in the bigger picture (mine included), but SOE is suffering the death of 1000 cuts, metaphorically speaking,  from the many thousands of mistreated customers who post, and review and comment and spread their opinions by word of mouth. You can't buy viral marketing like that.

SOE might not like what people say about them and the games they run, but sometimes the truth is a B****.

Originally posted by Jenus1

You're right.  People here do not really need to point out the serious problems currently facing SWG.  If anyone truly wants to know about the current state of the game all they need to do is visit the SWG forums.  People there are still complaining about broken instances, mob and NPC AI, the lack of collision detection, low server populations, the state of PVP and the ranking system, the lack of grouping, the number of buffs needed to play the game, characters rubberbanding, publishes/chapters being pushed live with bugs the developers were told about in testing but never bothered to fix, etc.  The funny thing is, SWG players have voiced these same complaints for YEARS and SOE has made no real effort to address them.

• Our words alone do mean nothing.

That's why they ignored them as they prepared the NGE.  In fact, they disregarded us because they knew that we'd leave.  But we'd be replaced.

What did mean something was our actions.  We put action behind our words.  We left in huge numbers (as expected actually) but because our words were AMPLIFIED by who we were, professional, smart people, even having amongst us reporters for CBS and the New York Times that we prevented our replacement.

Even today, the NGE game is populated mostly by a amputated stump of the pre NGE player base.  No new wave of players ever did come in and never will come in.  Because we warned them and they listened.

This is because we put action behind our words. 

Because of that, SOE easily has the worst reputation of ALL MMO publishers, they and SWG have a worse reputation than radioactive waste.  They are about as attractive to the gamer as Rosie O'Donnel in a teddy.

SOE is known as the MMO publisher that will F-over their players without a second thought.  Or even A thought at all.

SWG is known as the game that was better more than 2 years ago than it is now, so don't bother.