Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: The Future of Star Trek Online

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

The future of the upcoming MMORPG Star Trek Online has been in question in many minds ever since the "indefinite hold" that was placed on Gods & Heroes. Yesterday, it was reported that P2 had lost the license and that it would be taken up by another company. MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood explores at least one possibility for the game's future.

It seems like ages ago that Perpetual Entertainment announced the “indefinite hold” that had been placed on their historically-based MMORPG, Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising, leading many to question the future of the company’s other project, Star Trek Online.

When the original announcement hit that Perpetual’s original IP MMORPG would not see store shelves, the reason given by the company’s President Chris McKibbon was that the company would be focusing its efforts entirely upon their proprietary engine and on the development of Star Trek Online:

“Moving forward, we're shifting our collective focus, resources and development efforts to Perpetual's Platform Services division and Star Trek Online, thereby ensuring that the game lives up to the high level of expectation set by the dedicated Star Trek fan base.”

Read more here.

Comments

• thepatriotthepatriot Member UncommonPosts: 284

The link just takes you to the news page for STO, not the story.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

What ThePatriot said.

• SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Yeah, you caught me while I was still in the process of posting the news item.  You guys are too quick.

The link should be working now.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

IF it's Cryptic Studios then the Star Trek IP is in good hands. I have faith in Cryptic Studios.

Originally posted by Szark

Yeah, you caught me while I was still in the process of posting the news item.  You guys are too quick.
    The link should be working now.

Yep, it's working now.

• Smitty88Smitty88 Member Posts: 103

If this is true, hopefully it wont slow Marvel's development down, which I doubt it will.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

LOL i really do hope its true, cryptic are the only mmo developer i cant say one bad word about

Originally posted by Smitty88

If this is true, hopefully it wont slow Marvel's development down, which I doubt it will.

The latest rumors from December/November indicate MUO has been effectively cancelled so don't get your hopes up.

• Smitty88Smitty88 Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by thepatriot

Originally posted by Smitty88

The latest rumors from December/November indicate MUO has been effectively cancelled so don't get your hopes up.

Well if this is the case, STO wont slow down MUO, especially if its at a complete stop

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

"When reached for comment, Cryptic’s Online Community Manager Victor Wachter told MMORPG.com:

“What we are doing with P2 is interviewing a number of their former employees for positions here at Cryptic for our projects currently under development.”

If that's true, then I don't care if Cryptic is making ST:O or anything else. If they hire even one of the "management" people from PE ( especially Daron "Iknownothingaboutgamedevelopment" Stinnett ), I won't touch it. And I'd be hesitant if they just hired the coders/artists, as these people already have the "style" of ST:O that they worked on with PE ingrained in their brains. Nothing from PEs' idea pool should make it in the game. Period. Burn the content and start over with fresh people. Put PEs' guys in janitorial, or let 'em make a Hello Kitty sequel since they like cartoony crap so much.

/rant off

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Cryptic Studios, eh.  Well that's better than with Perpetual.  Maybe than can do something with the STO license.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

Cryptic Studios is way better than P2. I played CoH/CoV for 2 years and have nothing to complain about them.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

If Cryptic takes this project, I'm even more excited about it.  They did a great job on City of Heroes, and their free expansion issues for that game were also excellent.  They added content, and added an economy, new zones, new powers etc. without breaking the game or taking away features that previous/current players enjoyed.  Also, and very importantly to me, when upcoming expansions had bugs, they took the time to fix them before release.  Some players didn't have patience with this, but I've seen the alternative.  I'd much rather wait another month or two and not have things broken and frustrating.  Also, the Cryptic people actually seem to make games because they like making games.  It never seemed like they were pumping out semi-functional or uninspiring content just to try to make a buck.  I'v enjoyed playing in their virtual world for about 2 years now.  This is good news to me.

• AtomicDogAtomicDog Member Posts: 31

wonderful. another mmorpg we get to wait a decade to play. it's a good thing i have no chance of getting married or achieving any sort of real world success in that time.

see you at launch!

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

Originally posted by jinxit

LOL i really do hope its true, cryptic are the only mmo developer i cant say one bad word about
    I've got two: Enhancement Diversification

While it wasn't as bad as Sony's SWF mistake, it was the impetus for half of our supergroup to leave the CoH world behind.  I'll never trust Jack again for sure. 

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

I agree with the above poster.  Enhancement Diversification turned my super heroes into super duds.  Instead of feeling like a super hero, my characters felt like hero wannabes.  The game went from being fun and exciting to the typical boring grind of a subpar MMO, with a hell of a lot of less content than most MMOs on the market.

Even before the changes, CoH was boring after a couple months of play, thanks to their extremely repetitive mission system and complete lack of world exploration.  Cryptic hasn't proven to me that they can make a fully functional MMO that has all of the sandbox style content that we expect from a AAA game.  What they have proven is that they are good at making niche games that have narrow appeal.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203

Originally posted by AtomicDog

wonderful. another mmorpg we get to wait a decade to play. it's a good thing i have no chance of getting married or achieving any sort of real world success in that time.
    see you at launch!

Atleast it's cheaper than a wife and less stressful than a job so you're probably going to live a long life..

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Vrazule

Even before the changes, CoH was boring after a couple months of play, thanks to their extremely repetitive mission system and complete lack of world exploration.  Cryptic hasn't proven to me that they can make a fully functional MMO that has all of the sandbox style content that we expect from a AAA game.  What they have proven is that they are good at making niche games that have narrow appeal.
    I think you're a little harsh...

Yes the missions became repetitive... Cryptic was just too small and for a first game... they did amazing...

-The gameplay and controls themselves were phenomenal and fun

-The PvP came out really good for a game that had it as an afterthought

-The runtime was smooth and has little lag

-The character customisation ... nothing needs to be added to this...

I absolutely agree that repetitive content was a problem.

The only real flaw to the game is enough varied content to keep you leveling all the way up.

That's has a lot to do with financing really... give them Microsoft money or just 1/10th of the money WoW rakes in for a year and it would have been a different story.

I honestly think STO is in good hands.

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982

STO = Dead as a doornail.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Cryptic Studios is fine with me, if it goes to SOE no one will go.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• giskard73giskard73 Member Posts: 38

That is AWESOME news! They're a great studio. Cryptic, NCSoft, Mythic and maybe Funcom are the only ones I trust anymore to deliver good products.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Wow great news, those Cryptic people really know their business.  Only question I have is transfering the license from Perpetual  allowed as it is considered an asset.

• KurgenKurgen Member Posts: 26

To be quite honest, i have alot more faithin STO seeing the light of day than i did before.What many people here have forgotten is that Paramount/CBS knows what a ggoldmine STO could be if done right.It also looks like someone had been talking to Cryptic prior to Perpetual otherwise how would the handover of the license have happened so fast.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Kurgen

To be quite honest, i have alot more faithin STO seeing the light of day than i did before.What many people here have forgotten is that Paramount/CBS knows what a ggoldmine STO could be if done right.It also looks like someone had been talking to Cryptic prior to Perpetual otherwise how would the handover of the license have happened so fast.

Ok well i do seriously think cryptic are the people behind keeping the star trek mmo dream going on for one good reason, marvel and paramount have had an excellent partnership over the years with there numerous star trek themed comic books so i believe marvel took it upon themselves to have a friendly word with paramount and put a good word in for cryptic.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by jinxit

Originally posted by Kurgen

Ok well i do seriously think cryptic are the people behind keeping the star trek mmo dream going on for one good reason, marvel and paramount have had an excellent partnership over the years with there numerous star trek themed comic books so i believe marvel took it upon themselves to have a friendly word with paramount and put a good word in for cryptic.

Marvel Universe Online is cancelled, so I doubt Marvel really cares whether Cryptic gets business or not.