Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: P2 No Longer STO Developer

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

WarCry is reporting that Star Trek Online will no longer be developed by P2 Entertainment.  The Star Trek Online license and content, but not the code, has passed on to another un-named developer in the San Francisco area.  While P2 remains in business, and plan to focus their efforts on their Perpetual Platform and on casual games.  It is unclear at this time what this means for Star Trek Online's development and release schedule.

P2 Entertainment - formerly Perpetual Entertainment - has ceased development on Star Trek Online, according to multiple sources at the San Francisco based developer. The news does not, however, mean that the game is canceled. The license, as well as the game's content - but not the code - have been transferred to another Bay Area development studio where work will continue. It is not entirely clear at this time what this means for the individual developers who worked on the project at P2.

Read more here.

Comments

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Heh... did the devs move to a 3rd company already? ;) Trying to escape the line of fire of lawsuits headed their way .

I just wish a "real" studio would get the IP and make STO something special. Need some rich nerd out there in the world to fund a studio with 100 million bucks and 5 years... Bill Gates? You like Star Trek?

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

so this means it is never gonna happen. not too surprising. a tough title. what to do with it? simply a wow or lotro clone? sure, that will work. but it won't get enough people playing it. so, which alternative is there? something new. as in, even more risky and no guaranteed secure income. too many mmos have been going down the drain lately. who wants to risk it with a crappy product for an expensive ip.....

imageimage

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

Finally! I just hope that the poseter above is not right and the game went to someone who will actually listen to the fan base!!!

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Thank Gawd, I didn't want Perpetual to have anything to do with that game after Gods and Heroes mess and then the direction they took with STO.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I think it become painfully obvious how crappy of a company Perpetual was last year... this is the final reprocussion before they finally fade away.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Originally posted by docminus

a tough title. what to do with it? simply a wow or lotro clone? sure, that will work.

Good god, I hope not. 

Somehow I think seeing Vulcans bunny hopping around spamming their AoE "Vulcan Neck Pinch" would keep me away from that one as well.

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

Not unexpected news. Hopefully whoever gets STO actually does it justice.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Originally posted by Celestian

Thank Gawd, I didn't want Perpetual to have anything to do with that game after Gods and Heroes mess and then the direction they took with STO.

What mess? Oh you mean the mess were they actually had the balls to drop a game before making you guys pay 50 bucks for crap. Im not really a big P2 supporter anymore because apparently they have issues, but that doesnt mean what they did with GnH wasn't the right thing. I guess you would of rather it see the light of day and waste money on a faulty product like certain other games. GnH had the chance to be good, but it ran out of time and money to develop a product. I have yet to play a game were mobs can actually kick your ass and do special abilitys. Yes the combat was buggy, but if polished would of changed the way people play mmo's combat wise. Pretty sure STO would of ended up the same way. Either way goodluck to whatever company is getting this. My bet is on Cryptic Studios or UbiSoft.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Well it seems there is a God after all!!

Im so glad that they are not making the game anymore after the trash they have been spewing out recently.

Perpetual will go down in history as the worst MMO company ever.

People will say SOE, but no at least they make good products and then turn them into shit over time. These guys cant even hit the nail on the head with one project.

-Jive

• KaigelKaigel Member Posts: 1

I don't care who takes it over as long as it isn't Sony-Online Entertainment I hope it's not them

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

I think it become painfully obvious how crappy of a company Perpetual was last year... this is the final reprocussion before they finally fade away.

This should have happened to SOE after the NGE.  I can't tell you how tired i am of shaddy DEV companies and their practices.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Originally posted by Celestian

What mess? Oh you mean the mess were they actually had the balls to drop a game before making you guys pay 50 bucks for crap. Im not really a big P2 supporter anymore because apparently they have issues, but that doesnt mean what they did with GnH wasn't the right thing. I guess you would of rather it see the light of day and waste money on a faulty product like certain other games. GnH had the chance to be good, but it ran out of time and money to develop a product. I have yet to play a game were mobs can actually kick your ass and do special abilitys. Yes the combat was buggy, but if polished would of changed the way people play mmo's combat wise. Pretty sure STO would of ended up the same way. Either way goodluck to whatever company is getting this. My bet is on Cryptic Studios or UbiSoft.

I guess you never played SWG pre-cu then.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by Kaigel

I don't care who takes it over as long as it isn't Sony-Online Entertainment I hope it's not them
    On get over it already. This "I hate SOE" crap over SWG is old and getting annoying. If you don't like the company, then MOVE ON. Don't moan about it every single chance you get.

As for PE, well this isn't exactly a surprise. We all knew this was coming. Thing is I bet the new company turns it into a WoW clone. I'm so sick to death of the laziness in the gaming devs that every bloody new game is a WoW clone. There's only been one game in the last year that I wouldn't consider a WoW clone but it isn't out yet so I can't break the NDA. I'm just not sure I'd pay $15 a month for it.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Great to hear this.

This means STO can get back on the road without being tied up for 10 years.  Like others, lets hope Paramount/CBS have found good people to push forward with development.

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Actually, the mess is HOW they dropped the game and WHY.

HOW, being that there was no warning beforehand to any of the testers. The beta was closed without warning, the message boards were wiped and locked, and all that was given out were a few statements about generally what was going on. A lot of friends and trust was formed between the testers and developers, and it was all tossed away with the game without any chance to wrap things up. It'd be like being served a dish at a restaurant and then all of a sudden they come out and take the dish away when you were half done and were saving the best for last to eat.

The WHY plays into the trust issue. Basically, everyone who supported GnH was told "Oh well thanks for testing this game you love, now we're going to dump this in favor of something that will get us more money."

While dropping GnH because they weren't going to be able to polish it to the point they wanted was a good thing, the way they went about it was all wrong.

• thepatriotthepatriot Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by JYCowboy

Great to hear this.
    This means STO can get back on the road without being tied up for 10 years.  Like others, lets hope Paramount/CBS have found good people to push forward with development.

This doesn't neccesarily mean anything of the sort.  As someone else posted this could be an attempt by P2 to move the asset beyond the reach of creditors.  It could have gone to some other second rate developer.  I know you want to blame Perpetual but the reality is that the liscense holder hasn't exactly been a good steward of it and the blame should lie ultimately with them, not the developers.  The liscense holder can dictate the terms of any agreement and guide the development.  We still don't know if they have learned their lesson yet or if they have any clue what to do with it.

• zeeboidzeeboid Member UncommonPosts: 7

With the proper council, this could do well.  With EVE online the only competition (when it comes to a Space MMORPG, and no, Star Wars online doesn’t count), there are plenty of people who are tired of playing with swords and shields.  They just need to take out of Star Trek what people loved… cowboy type action, occasional diplomacy, and a level of ship control and customization that would make an engineer phreak. 

Imagine, if wanted, a level of ship control that has 5 or 6 people on one ship dutifully busy during combat... where being an engineer, or a helmsman has an equal amount to do.  something where, again if wanted, the more people on a ship you have helping out the better off you are.  I don't know, just spinning ideas here, but it seams to be what star trek could have above the others. 

Or Shadowrun MMORPG anyone?

• KontraKontra Member Posts: 132

It breaks my heart to see STO going through so much. This is a game that should be a great hit. It appeals to so many geeks that it would be the next "WoW" if it is handled right. The problem is P2 has messed things up so much I'm not sure I hope for the game anymore. This game has so many ups and downs that II don't see this game ever being made now. At least, not made right anyways.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

On October 10, 2007, Perpetual Entertainment Inc. transferred ownership of all its assets to Perpetual LLC, for liquidation and distribution of liquidation proceeds to creditors of Perpetual.

Interesting read.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1313310/000136231007003149/c71677e6vk.htm

• PunisherXPunisherX Member Posts: 231

Okay, I've never played a game created by this 'P2 Entertainment', so I have no idea how good they are, but just because they can't make good MMO's doesn't mean they can't make good video games. MMO's are the most complicated forms of video games. It's too bad, I was really hoping for Star Trek Online to come out or at least have a beta-testing in 2008. As to who will get it next, I hope it is someone who has already created a great MMO and succeeded; like Blizzard or Cryptic, etc.. Sorry if there are more, but those are the only two I know of. I heard that Blizzard was looking for a new MMO to develop now that WoW is one of the most highly played MMO's. I'm sure whoever will get it next will do it justice.

Here, I got an idea, give it to a bunch of Star Trek fans and nerds and they can make the game.

• DabruuzerDabruuzer Member UncommonPosts: 123

Well, the folks over at www.trekmovie.com are reporting that some of the dev ream are being interviewd by Cryptic Studios. No confirmation that they are taking over the project though - they make that quite clear. Well, they make it quite clear that they aren't making anything quite clear for the moment. LOL

A Little Dab'll Do Ya!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

To the now unemployed Dev who said this game is not for trekies ... adios!

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Cpt.StubbingCpt.Stubbing Member Posts: 269

At least we know something now. I also hope they give it to someone who can do something with this. I didn't wanna say it before but I really didn't like the direction the game had taken (story wise). I hope whoever has it now goes with the original stuff we all heard like Guild-Run starships and so forth.

Does anyone else feel like they just passed a golf ball sized gall-stone after hearing this, or is it just me?

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

Good news! Now we might actually see a Star Trek MMO in 2013-14.

Good thing there's a couple other good games coming our way... it's going to be a long five-plus year wait.

• ivan50265ivan50265 Member Posts: 67

This oddly reminds me of Middle Earth Online.  I hope the opposite happens and that a company tries to do the license justice, but either way we're in for a long wait.