Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Darkfall".. The biggest, most hyped vaporware that ever existed. Atleast "Mourning" and "Dark & Li

Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

I was following the promises of the great PvP oriented, 3D Pre-Trammel type of Ultima Online way back in 2001 and 2002 when the Darkfall website had a posted release date of "Fall of 2003".

Seven years later, there is STILL no actual known release date. People still horde the Darkfall forums and make new posts on the Darkfall section on this website, still hoping that this is the year.

Nothing has changed since 2001 people. It's still the same ideas and promises for a great Pre-Trammel UO type of game that just won't ever happen. I mean really. Atleast give games like Mourning and Dark & Light credit for actually releasing a game.

But let's do yet another poll on Darkfall just to see what people actually believe 7 years after its initial website was put up back in early 2001...

- Zaxx

Comments

• SroekSroek Member Posts: 87

The difference between D&L/Mourning, etc. and Darkfall Online is that DF isn't settling for a pre-mature release. I don't know how much you follow the game, but the developers publish progress reports regularly. DF is just an MMO in development, either you set yourself up for a big letdown with high expectations or you don't.

I don't expect DF to be a game with "rave reviews" and record shattering subscriber numbers, I expect it to deliver on the open-ended, skill-based, player-driven foundation of its design that it proudly embodies and it will do just that.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Are you kidding?  They're almost ready to release.  They just have to update the game engine...

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Originally posted by Sharajat
    Are you kidding? They're almost ready to release. They just have to update the game engine...

We've heard that before. Back in 2004. In 2005 and 2006 as well. Just have to adjust minor details.

..Riiiight. Still no release date announced even tho it's "almost ready to release" eh? {winks}

- Zaxx

• KillershiverKillershiver Member Posts: 187

meh how many times have we heard it from AOc 2 so yea stfu

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

Are you kidding? They're almost ready to release. They just have to update the game engine...

We've heard that before. Back in 2004. In 2005 and 2006 as well. Just have to adjust minor details.

..Riiiight. Still no release date announced even tho it's "almost ready to release" eh? {winks}

- Zaxx

Apparently Duke Nukem Forever references are lost on certain people...  

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Let's all take a look RQ at how biased the OP's poll is real quick.

Ever seen such one-sided, obviously you can only pick these because they sound good, if you disagree with my side this poll makes you sound like a fanboi, poll? I don't think you have, unless you've been sitting in the SWG forums too much .

The game will either release or it won't. Given that the developers ARE actually giving regular status updates leads me to believe it is just a game in development that has had a few troubles along the way. When people start pointing to the release date and times rather than pointing towards quality (something suits do ALL the time to games being developed, inevitably killing that game via a premature launch) leads me to assume the OP doesn't really care about quality or an immersive game. He just wants it released now because he/she is tired of waiting for it.

-You have raised you meaningless thread laughing at skills, to 47

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• monkeyspymonkeyspy Member Posts: 196

This topic has been brought up a few times... but here's my take on it.  I was interested in the game years ago.  Unfortunately due to the extreme delays, I no longer care about the game.  When it comes out, I'll probably take a look at some screenshots, but I highly doubt I'll be making the switch to the game to play it.

The same goes for Duke Nukem.  I no longer care if the game ever gets released.  I know a lot of people got excited over the new movie clip that was released, but the truth is I just didn't care anymore.  Some say "well team fortress 2 took forever and look how good that came out".  And the truth is I would of never ever played that game if it was just released by itself.  They had to package it in with Half Life 2, Episodes 1 & 2, and Portal.  I've played Team Fortress maybe a couple of times.  But Portal is where my love is at.

The truth is I don't think there is going to be one unique thing about the game when it comes out.  It may have been unique back then, but now every feature has probably been implemented into other games, including the free to play ones.

With that said, Good Luck to anyone willing to hold out and wait for this game to come out.  I hope it's everything you imagined it would be and better.  I really do.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I don't know if DF will ever release, nor do I care.  But I do question the reasoning behind endlessly creating threads/polls like this one.  Boredom?  Lack of imagination? The love of drama/controversy?  That's a far more interesting subject to me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Are you kidding?  They're almost ready to release.  They just have to update the game engine...

lol

very good sarcastic post.

/applaud

Or at least we hope it was sarcasm :p!

• SkollSkoll Member Posts: 442
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Let's all take a look RQ at how biased the OP's poll is real quick.

Ever seen such one-sided, obviously you can only pick these because they sound good, if you disagree with my side this poll makes you sound like a fanboi, poll? I don't think you have, unless you've been sitting in the SWG forums too much .

The game will either release or it won't. Given that the developers ARE actually giving regular status updates leads me to believe it is just a game in development that has had a few troubles along the way. When people start pointing to the release date and times rather than pointing towards quality (something suits do ALL the time to games being developed, inevitably killing that game via a premature launch) leads me to assume the OP doesn't really care about quality or an immersive game. He just wants it released now because he/she is tired of waiting for it.

-You have raised you meaningless thread laughing at skills, to 47

I still loathe you.

Originally posted by Skoll

I still loathe you.

Stop it   >.<' !!!!!!!!1111

Originally posted by Skoll

I still loathe you.

Stop it   >.<' !!!!!!!!1111

Never!

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

how is it that anything bashing gets to stay in the pub, while anything that actually discusses it gets sent off to it's sub forum.

it's not just darkfall it's just about anything,  it really gives you the feeling that the community here is going down hill.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

Would you rather they release a half finished bug-ridden Darkfall, or have it take 10 years and hopefully be a fairly polished game?

There have been plenty of games released too early and most have failed because of that. To succeed, Darkfall will need to be a polished, well balanced game. To release it early, because people complain that it's vaporware, would ensure its failure. I am willing to wait the extra years for it to come out because of the hope that it will find it's place in the MMO market, and it will succeed.

As other people have stated, I don't see the point in this thread. It doesn't accomplish anything beyond bitching about having to wait for a game.

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Who cares if it takes time. All other complains most MMOs are released to early anyway. So what are the MMO community looking for? Not to early realeased, or to long developed?

And i even beginning to see complains here that some MMOs are giving out to much information, so that it is not interesting anymore????

So: STOP WHINING, goddamnet! The devs dont care, i dont care and  noone else care. Thank you.

EDIT: whoo wait one second here.........shouldent Mourning and Dark&Light have been in development for a few more years before release? So then again, why is people complaining about it taking time???

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Originally posted by Desalus

Would you rather they release a half finished bug-ridden Darkfall, or have it take 10 years and hopefully be a fairly polished game?

There have been plenty of games released too early and most have failed because of that. To succeed, Darkfall will need to be a polished, well balanced game. To release it early, because people complain that it's vaporware, would ensure its failure. I am willing to wait the extra years for it to come out because of the hope that it will find it's place in the MMO market, and it will succeed.

As other people have stated, I don't see the point in this thread. It doesn't accomplish anything beyond bitching about having to wait for a game.
    Really!!!!   and how many years should it take then?  10 -15 years?

Fact of the matter is this game is vaporware with bad graphics and too many hyped up fans. This thread is good tho as it does provide us with some fans to chuckle at.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

Originally posted by METALDRAG0N

Fact of the matter is this game is vaporware with bad graphics and too many hyped up fans. This thread is good tho as it does provide us with some fans to chuckle at.

The only ones being chuckled at is you, with your nonsensical troll-dom because you have no real game to call home due to all the premature game releases.

Go suck a lemon troll.

ps: I'm not a fan seeing as how I've never really kept up with the game or cared if it was released or not (simply because I'm a graphics kinda guy, however, mechanics can make up for where gfx fail). So calling me a "fan to be laughed at" is rather pointless and idiotic on your lowly part. I pitty you...

Haven't i see you on a pirating forum? Same name and same avatar, about 10 posts i think. Hmm...

Could you tell me? Its bugging me for some reason.

edit : maybe better i don't name it.

The only ones being chuckled at is you, with your nonsensical troll-dom because you have no real game to call home due to all the premature game releases.

Go suck a lemon troll.

ps: I'm not a fan seeing as how I've never really kept up with the game or cared if it was released or not (simply because I'm a graphics kinda guy, however, mechanics can make up for where gfx fail). So calling me a "fan to be laughed at" is rather pointless and idiotic on your lowly part. I pitty you...

HeH did i touch a nerve there. Move on I'm not interested in getting into a fight with a troll today.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

And all DF trolls should wake up and realise their maybe even wont be released. So how can you troll a MMO thats maybe is vapoware? LOL That makes no sense. Go back to playing WoW instead.

Originally posted by daarco

And all DF trolls should wake up and realise their maybe even wont be released. So how can you troll a MMO thats maybe is vapoware? LOL That makes no sense. Go back to playing WoW instead.

Wish i said that now.

-- Jean Rostand

Yeah, so your point is?

Dont you think we that follows DF dont are the ones knowing best how it may be? Or do you we just read all updates because we feel alone or something?

Only difference is that we want to play it, if its released,  and i know all trolls will do it to. But they dont admit it. Because that would really make them look stupid.

• rshandlonrshandlon Member Posts: 173

Go suck a lemon troll.

Funny for you to call someone a troll when you are the one trolling.

DF, while they may be issuing updates from the Devs, has done nothing to show they even have a product in development.  The only things we have seen are produced videos that are not even recent and are re-published often to make it look like work has been done.  I remember one person getting a personal invite to check out the game then give a review.  Well, that person was also rumored to be paid by the Devs too, so I don't lay any credence to his reviews.

Plainly put, Darkfall is classified as Vaporware in the general terms and if they do come out with a product it will be in the same position that Shadowbane was when it released.  Old and tired engine and graphics appealing to NO ONE, because newer more exciting games have already come along.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

these are your only options realistically.

My blog: image