Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Guides, Tools & Tips

BlindShooterBlindShooter Member Posts: 77

Made this post in my guild forums, thought I'd share it here.

Guides:

Miner's Guide

(PDF | Original Post in EVE-O)

note: Has everything a miner (or anyone into mining) may want to know.

Player Owned Station Guide

(PDF)

note: Covers how POS works, the differences, fuels, etc...

New Player Guide

(PDF | Original BattleClinic Topic)

note: Cover a whole lot, from acronymns to pvping, exploring, mining, skill training, general EVE tips. Very helpful, extremely recommended for those new to EVE

2D EVEMaps

(PDF | Official Homepage)

note: Gives a clearer view of the universe through a series of organized maps. Highly helpful for everyone.

Joerd's Exploration Guide

(PDF | Original Post in EVE-O)

note: Explains the how to's of exploration, really helpful.

Hoshi's Probing Guide

(Original Post in EVE-O)

note: Explains how to use probes, the skills related to them, etc...

Tools:

(All of them are extremely recommended)

EVE Fitting Tool

(.ZIP | Original Post in EVE-O)

note: Allows you to check out different ships loadouts, which skills you would need, how much damage you would do, etc... .

EVEMon

(.ZIP| Official Homepage)

note: Allows you to schedule how you will train your skills, how long each skill takes, how implants will affect training time, etc...

Tips:

#01 - Never fly what you can't afford to lose. Never. Ever.

#02 - Always keep an updated clone

#03 - Never AFK nor logoff in space. Not even in high security sectors.

#04 - Never use auto-pilot when going through low security sectors

#05 - Never gang with people you don't know/trust

#06 - If  something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Always double-check everything.

#07 - Get your learning skills up before doing anything else!

#08 - No space is truly safe. Concord will punish criminals, not prevent crimes.

#09 - Always compare the different variations of a same module. Sometimes you will find cheaper modules with little difference, maybe even better!

#10 - Always check for more details on items when browsing the market. You could end up accidentally buying something that is over 15 jumps away!

That is about it for now. Feel free to post stuff and I'll edit this topic to reflect new additions Smiley

PS: Don't think this post will clash with pihlssite's post, sorry if it does though.

www.MONGBAT.com
Warhammer Guild

Comments

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

http://eve.grismar.net/wikka.php?wakka=WikiHome I like this one...YMMV. Thanks for the tips!

• phantom195phantom195 Member Posts: 37

Very nice !

Useful links and very good tips :)

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Some exelent guides here nice work. Perhaps you could put this into the sticky on top so its all  there for any newbies to see.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• BlindShooterBlindShooter Member Posts: 77

Thanks for the input fellas :)

I would normally not create an alternative topic, but since the other one is about links and, excuse my manners, fairly unorganized, I thought that a new topic needed to be made.  pihlssite had a nice idea, but it needs to be updated and to be kept organized, in my honest opinion.

Kinda trying to make it easier specially  for newcomers, since EVE truly is a dauting game at first.

www.MONGBAT.com
    Warhammer Guild

• Anti-FanboiAnti-Fanboi Member Posts: 188

These should be added to your links.

Link to the PDF and Guide to Exploration in EVE: Finding Combat, Mining, Salvage/Archeology, Gas Clouds, and Hacking sites.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=519470

This link covers the basic mechanics of exploration.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=431586&page=1

Index of Ship setups for almost every ship in the game with PvP to PvE setups given by players.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/iNgameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=571635

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

Brilliant post! Very nicely laid out, I like it a lot.

-iCeh

• BlindShooterBlindShooter Member Posts: 77

Anti-Fanboi, I will not be adding right not the link to ship discussions, more than a guide it truly is a... discussion. There is another topic for links, so it might fit well there. Thanks for the input though!

I'm glad the topic is considerated helpful, and don't be shy fellas, feel free to throw your tips, info on guides and tools here!

Gazyman, I'll be going through that link and putting the info here soon, thanks for that great resource :)

www.MONGBAT.com
    Warhammer Guild

• JokerkaaosJokerkaaos Member Posts: 125

Thanks for the links. I'm thinking about giving EVE a try and I could tell immediately that the learning curve is steep. Yay info.

• solesole Member Posts: 78

Hot fast guides

Skills Fittings

Starting attributes

BMS Guide  

Mission Types

Damage types

Complexes

Agent LP rewards

Scanning   

Tools for eve-online klick here.

How to make:  Uber characters

Guide how to make very Good Characters

Minmatar fighter/hauler,

Amarr Amarr PVP char  

Khanid "CyberKnight" 

Fighter Pilot Caldari DETEIS

Mission guides and some more:    Villard Wheel 

EVE Online the best mmorpg there is.  

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

tip to make a balanced char
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/214937

GOLDEN RULEZ

* You are not safe in 1.0 security space. CONCORD is there to punish, not to protect. Get used to the idea.

* In most cases, the only way to be 100% safe from agression inside the game is to be docked in a station. Being cloaked in a secret safespot could work too.

* Never fly something (or with something in the cargo) you can't afford to lose. Yes, not even in highsec.

* Never grant corporation rights to stuff you can't afford to lose either. No exceptions.

* People offering free stuff ? Probably traps. Use caution.

* Free stuff usually isn't. Not even minerals you mine yourself.

* If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Paranoia pays off here. Double-check everything.

* Scamming and unethical behaviour some would consider griefing is not only allowed, it is encouraged and rewarded by the game mechanics.

* Harrasment or real-life threats however aren't, and you can get a shiny ban for them. Learn the difference.

* If you lose stuff, it's ALMOST ALWAYS YOUR FAULT. Really, only yours.

* More expensive stuff is not always better stuff.

* Slightly better stuff usually costs many times more as slightly worse stuff. Choose wisely.

* T2 is usually cheaper and better as best named, but harder to fit. Sometimes it's not better. Other times it's not cheaper. And occasionally, neither cheaper nor better.

* Showinfo and Variants->Compare are your best friends. Use it on all stuff you can.

* There is always heavy lag in Jita and other trade hubs. But then again, you almost always find what you might need there, and can get better prices for the stuff you want to sell fast. So, it might be worth the risk of getting stuck there. Just know you COULD get stuck there.

* Just HAVING ISK doesn't matter all that much, it's MAKING ISK that's important. If you BOUGHT your ISK (either "illegally" from some site, or from a valid GTC trade), expect to soon be parted with all of them.

* Total skillpoints count doesn't matter much either, it's level of relevant skills to the current situation that does. Yes, that does mean a 2 mil SP combat-oriented newbie could badly beat up a 60 mil SP industry-oriented veteran.

* ALWAYS check your clone before you undock.

* ALWAYS check your ship insurance before you undock. If it's a T2 ship however... not THAT important.

* There are no "solopwnmobiles" in EVE. Everything you can fly blows up if it's shot hard enough.

* All other things being equal (experience, skills), superior numbers more often win a fight rather than superior ship value. However, things are hardly ever equal.

* There is no such thing as "a fair fight" or "an unfair fight". There's only "a fight". Circumstances are irrelevant.

* Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

* Just because you CAN fly something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

* With enough skills and experience, ship size really doesn't matter all that much.

* If you logoff in space without a PvP timer, you're only safe after 2 minutes... and then only until you log back in. If you logoff with a PvP timer, it's at least 15 minutes. Bottom line, once a fight started, don't logoff. You'll only die anyway.

* If you PvP long enough, you WILL lose your ship. It's only a matter of where and when.

* Just because some character is just a few minutes old doesn't mean he's a newbie. Many people have alts. The reverse is also possible, people come back after very long breaks, and characters are sold. You could see year-old newbies around too.

* Skills that take less than 1 day to train are short skills. Over one week is long.

* You're in this game for the LONG HAUL. Don't expect to do something meaningful in the grand scheme of things in the first day of your first trial account ever.

BestSigEver :P

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Been looking for that EVE Fitting Tool for a while, but couldn't remember the name of it, which made searching for it quite difficult. I kept getting led back to QuickFit and other sub-par (IMO) fitting programs. Is it still being updated to keep in line with the changes made?

• FinwolvenFinwolven Member Posts: 289

A quick and dirty agent-finding guide/tip, reposted and cleaned from a response I made to another post in this forum:

All right, so you've had your referral from the Tutorial agent and have done so many missions to the lvl1 agent it referred you to that you're bored to tears (this happens fast if it's just giving you courier missions). You also have gained a good bit of standing with the corporation (doing those boring storyline missions didn't hurt a bit). It's time to move up the corporate ladder!

You need to find a level 2 agent. Every corporation has agents that offer missions, and, in some cases, services. All R&D agents offer research services, and some agents offer localization services (finding players).

To have access to an agent, you need to have positive standings towards the agents corporation, and the better standings you have, the better agents you can utilize.

To find your corporations 2nd level agents, click on People & Places, Search for the corporation, then open the info screen for the corporation. Go to 'Agents' tab, and you'll see all the corps agents sorted under 'divisions'. Divisions define what sort of missions the agent gives, either combat, courier, mining or trade missions. In general, security typedivision agents give combat missions, trade agents give trade & courier missions etc. There are some divisions that give a mix. I suggest going for the combat missions, they tend to pay a lot better.

The following are generally acccurate, but with addition of new missions they might not be precisely what it says.

*** Mission types *** 

Administration: 50% Kill, 50% Courier

Advisory: 34% Kill, 66% Courier

Archives: 5% Kill, 90% Courier, 5% Trade

Astrosurveying: 40% Kill, 30% Courier, 25% Mining, 5% Trade

Command: 97% Kill, 3% Courier

Distribution: 5% Kill, 95% Courier

Intelligence: 85% Kill, 15% Courier

Internal Security: 95% Kill, 5% Courier

Legal: 50% Kill, 50% Courier

Manufacturing: 5% Kill, 95% Courier

Marketing: 5% Kill, 95% Courier

Mining: 5% Kill, 85% Courier, 10% Mining (II)

Production: 5% Kill, 95% Courier

Public Relations: 34% Kill, 66% Courier

R&D: 0% Kill, 50% Courier(S), 50% Trade

Security: 90% Kill, 5% Courier, 5%Trade

Storage: 5% Kill, 95% Courier(L)

Surveillance: 95% Kill, 5% Courier

Find the agent you want from those you have access to (the higher the level and better the quality, more money you get). Quality is important within an agents level, but if you can get a lvl2 -18q agent, it's still a lot better then a lvl1 +19q agent.

Then you need to go to the agents station, and get a mission. Try to find an agent that isn't in lowsec or just next door to a lowsec system, or be prepared to go to areas where PVP is common and that are dangerous.

As you get more standing towards the corporation (either through mission standing increases or Connections skill), switch to better quality agents, as the difference is huge, often two to three times the amount of reward money and loyalty points.

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

here is a guide to faction warfare

myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp

and an official guide as well

kb.eve-online.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx

a very good thread on how to make isk with trading

myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

Here is a Beginner's Guide To Piracy.

http://eve-stuff.co.uk/resources.php?a=piracy

Excellent way to get started in your life of crime!

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=497297

the above is by akita t on character creation.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• MeesterMeester Member UncommonPosts: 7

This link will probably go well here too. From EVe devs. Its a beta.

wiki.eveonline.com/wiki/Main_Page

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

tip #11a Don't expect fair fights in pvp (combat)

1v1, 5v5 etc is like rocking horse sh!t, peopele used to arena's/battlegrounds where things are mostly even need to get OUT of that thought pattern because it will just get you frustrated and probably podded.

In eve pvp happens because the victim is outnumbered,  outgunned, and unable to avoid it.

tip #11b Don't expect fair tactics in market pvp (non-combat)

If you undercut someone frequently, they could have access to Alliance based funds to outlast you, and you leave you poorer than a hobo.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Skira Ranos's guide to beginner's piracy:

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=936500

great guide, i read this before i ventured into low sec looking for pvp.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Edit: Added whitespace.... stupid wysiwig editor.

1) Replacing ships

When replacing (or buying for the first time) your ship buy spares of the components you normally fit on it. I recommend doubling up. This way when your ship gets destroyed you ALREADY have the fittings for a new one. Take those fittings back to your hangar at your headquarters. Keep them there.

2) Shopping

While it may seem like a wise thing to "save money" by shopping only the lowest prices in a region that isn't actually the most effective way to shop in EVE unless you get lucky and find an absolute STEAL on an item. Why? Because TIME is money in EVE. If you're spending 3 hours to run around to buy the cheapest item in region just to save a few thousand credits over all you could have run several missions in that time and actually made more money than you saved in the first place. I recommend learning where the market hub closest to you. Here are a few: Jita, Hek, Rens, Amarr, Oursalaert, Dodixie

There are others too... learn where the one nearest you is and do most of your shopping there. Only leave that shopping hub if you find a REALLY good deal somewhere or if you can't get something you need there.

See #1: If you find a really good deal on an item you use in your fits, especially if you use it for multiple ships, buy several and keep them at your base.

3) Corp not online: Either join a larger corp or, more importantly, join a corp who's players are generally online when you are. This is key to having fun in EVE. While your fun shouldn't center around what others can do for you it IS important to be able to have people to talk to, play with, chat with, etc online when you are. Otherwise you may as well be playing a single player game. Also make sure you are joining a corp that does what they say they do. If they're just taking you on missions then they're not teaching you Faction Warfare at all but are just running missions. Time to find another corp.

4) Finding targets: Use the map... it's your friend. If you know where most faction warfare takes place open up your map and check "# of users in local", "# of kills in last hour" and "number of jumps in last hour" these stats combined with your map will tell you where targets are most likely to be (they can also tell you where pirates are likely at as well). Once you know where the badguys are you can join a fleet (or form one) and head off to kill them. Until you know the game fairly well I recommend against trying to go solo too much.

5) Your ship is your home.... unless you need to switch ships or get blown up you really don't NEED to "go home" in EVE. Live in your ship. If you are 40 jumps away from your base just dock up and call it a day if it's time to quit for the day. It's no big deal, you'll eventually wind up back there again or have a need to go there sooner or later. Don't be affraid to have multiple 'bases' either. I think I currently have ships stashed in about 15 different systems in EVE in all 4 empires... and a couple out in 0.0 somewhere ;)

6) Keep your clone updated ;)

7) Jump clones: If you haven't already then take the time to train infomorph psychology to at LEAST level 3 (it takes no time at all) and get some jump clones. Either by doing missions to get your standing to 8+ with a corporation that has stations with cloning services or by having one of your corpmates recommend someone who has a mothership or rorqual who will let you stage jump clones and then move them around by jumping to his ship. There are also corps that will allow you to join temporarily just so you can install a jump clone in high-sec. I highly recommend jump clones as a means of quickly joining folks on the other side of the galaxy (mind you, you need to have a jump clone there FIRST in order to jump to it). Ask your corp mates about jump clones... if they don't know the answer.... you really need to find a new corp :)

Good luck and hope this helps!

Also, if you're not alread:

1) Get EVEmon

2) Get the EVE Fitting Tool

(You can google for both of them)

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

If you really want to learn more about wormholes and life in wormhole space, this guide is a really great place to start.

www.fiercewebs.com/arcdragon/EverythingWormhole.pdf

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Also, since I just realized I wasn't current, here's the new extended version 3.0 of the Comprehensive Miners Guide with good tips on Mfg as well.

www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VforVavavoomVforVavavoom Member Posts: 29

Thanks

Allot of useful stuff here

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

theres a pretty good tanking guide that can be found

here

• Bandit666Bandit666 Member Posts: 8

I got this Eve isk guide a while back and it helped me out a lot. Not sure what you guys think of paid guides tho, but it is worth checking out.