Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Reader's Choice Award Winners

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Now that the votes have been tabulated, MMORPG.com is pleased to reveal the winners of the 2007 MMORPG.com Reader's Choice Awards. We would like to congratulate this year's winners and thank our members for providing their votes.

We've tabulated your more than 40,000 votes and today, we reveal your choices in the 2007 Reader's Choice Awards.

We had eight categories this year, with nominees in each category provided by the editorial staff. MMORPG.com members had until January 30th to cast their ballots and let us know who their favorite was in each category.

MMORPG.com would like to thank those who took the time to participate in the voting!

Best New Game of 2007 

Most Improved Game of 2007

Best Paid Expansion Game of 2007

Most Anticipated Game of 2007

Best Free / Micropayments Game of 2007

Best Sci-Fi / Other Game of 2007

Best Fantasy Game of 2007 

Best Overall Game of 2007

Check out the winners here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ReccooReccoo Member Posts: 197

Looks like this site as a love/hate relationship with wow:P

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

You can always count on the eve-online fans here.  To make sure that their game is always #1 in anything it's nominated in.  Just like last year.  I already knew what the results were before they were posted.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• NeopsychNeopsych Member UncommonPosts: 324

Well don eto Eve. What ever  you think of the game, its nice to see a highly polished, community driven non-fantasy game getting recognition rather than just the most popular standard cookie cutter.

To err is human....to play is divine

• JrodJrod Member Posts: 234

I am surprised that Age of Conan won most anticapated and not Warhammer. Warhammer almost has 2000 posts in its forum while Age of Conan has 1200

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Roin

You can always count on the eve-online fans here.  To make sure that their game is always #1 in anything it's nominated in.  Just like last year.  I already knew what the results were before they were posted.
    OH NOES!

A readers choice award was "Riged" by....The readers?!!SHIFT1 How could this happen!!!! Who let those bastards "The readers" vote? My god, I feel for humanity!!!1! Its not like the opinions of the voters matter in a readers choice!!!

Readers of this site voted man, theres no two ways about it. Your comment is byond pointless. lol.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

OH NOES!

A readers choice award was "Riged" by....The readers?!!SHIFT1 How could this happen!!!! Who let those bastards "The readers" vote? My god, I feel for humanity!!!1! Its not like the opinions of the voters matter in a readers choice!!!

Readers of this site voted man, theres no two ways about it. Your comment is byond pointless. lol.

I think the poster was really acknowledging them, not using sarcasm...

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

OH NOES!

I think you actually missed the point, and then claimed it wasn't there. The point is this: Certain communities of people descend on this site every time their pet game is up for some sort of award. They aren't really readers, because they never come here other than to vote for their game.

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• LardarzLardarz Member Posts: 55

and quite right too...

Eve kicks every other game's ass tbh.

Unless you like dressing up as a girl and waving a magic stick.

-----------------------------
    'Argueing with an Eve player is like argueing with a religous nut. '

• UgottawantitUgottawantit Member Posts: 146

Great Job this year Mmorpg.  I think the catagories were much better this year than last. It really shows whith the end results.  All of the best games out there  won something.

• ZeknichovZeknichov Member Posts: 98

I play EVE and I come here but I didn't vote because I honestly don't care.  Congrats though, I respect this communities view on MMOGs because they correspond nearly exactly where mine are.

EVE > WoW

AoC > WAR

To the majority it's reversed but I agree with the above assessment and have agreed with the assessment of this sites for years.  So if those people who come here just to vote and rig the awards to what I deem as correct I'm all for it.  Keep up the good work.

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Agent_X7

I think you actually missed the point, and then claimed it wasn't there. The point is this: Certain communities of people descend on this site every time their pet game is up for some sort of award. They aren't really readers, because they never come here other than to vote for their game.
    I can't speak for other EVE players, but I've been visiting this site regularly for years, even if I don't post much.  I regularly read the features if the title in any way interests me, and occasionally post if I find something I feel strongly enough about to respond.

Please watch your sweeping gneralizations - such statements often come around to bite you in the ass when you least expect it.

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

I play WoW myself, and my personal view on this seems to be accepting towards the result.

I don't care much about it tho, but it's nice to see what is popular. And even with all the WoW bashers it's still a very respected game on these forum :)

I'm eager to try out EVE again, but with the steep learning curve the game has, I can't find time to make the fullest out of the 14day trial.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

On the "Best New Game of 2007" page there looks to be a typo.

* Lord of the Rings – 42%
    * Fury - 2%
    * Tabula Rasa – 26%
    * Vanguard: Saga of Heroes – 15%
    * Hellgate: London – 11%

I'm assuming that is supposed to read 2x% for Fury, something higher than TR's 26% in any case.

//insert sig here
  • ThaliostThaliost Member UncommonPosts: 104

If there was a better game than eve in the list i would vote for it. Sucks that it hasnt come out yet.

Nice to see AoC win the most antecipated game of 2007. Really looking forward to try it.

Immortals [EU] - Darkfall Clan: http://immortals-online.eu/

Read my "funny" DF1 blog: http://casualdarkfall.blogspot.com

• dpi209dpi209 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by Nu11u5
    I'm assuming that is supposed to read 2x% for Fury, something higher than TR's 26% in any case.

It's probably only not sorted correctly. Those percentages come to 96%; I guess the other 4% didn't vote that category.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

The one category that needs to be viewed in perspective is " Best new MMOG of 2007".

LOTRO won because the other choices were total crap, not because LOTRO is a quality game. LOTRO is just a WoW clone and I didn't enjoy it beyond beta testing it. There is a good reason why both Spike TV and G4 neglected to offer a best MMOG category for 2007 award.

I give credit to Turbine for releasing a polished game, sadly we have to acknowledge this as an accomplishment because so many games are released incomplete and buggy even though shipping a finished product should be the norm.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

First off would of been nice if there was a "none" or "other" that I could of picked.  Some of the categories didn't have anything i would of picked normally.

Second, I'm not surprised WAR lost to AoC.  The Conan hype machine is i full swing while WAR's seems to be quieter.  Plus it is possible that since EA bought Mythic, the negative attitudes many have about EA have carried over to WAR.  I mean they screwed up Motor City Online and Earth & Beyond, some may think they'll screw this up too.

Finally, I agree about EVE.  Not that it should of won the categories but that EVE fans are very zealous about their game.  I have no doubt they came here and voted just to see their game win and never post here again (til next years awards).

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I agree across the board with every category except best overall game for 2007.  I wouldn't have pegged EVE Online for that award, but the voters have spoken I guess, so grats to them.

What really stands out to me here is the extreme lack of choices in the sci fi genre.  What the hell, come on devs!  Quit copying each other and make something new for God's sake.  Eve Online is really a niche game.  I don't want to be a vehicle.  I want to be a person, so that is out for me.  Tabula Rasa is buggy but they are working on it.  Maybe if they add housing, vehicles, and revisit character creation they could be a triple A game.  And SWG and Planetside, both SOE games, didn't even make the list. 

SWG...for god's sake's SOE get your heads out of your asses and give us what we have been asking for, a friggin Precu server.  You really expect me to believe your brainiac devs who are soooo computer and tech smart didn't save their work somewhere.  It's not impossible to give us Precu.  There are hobbyists out there working on it right now.  If there is a legal reason, or a licensing reason or some other more plausible reason why you can not give us sci fi fans what we have been begging for, atleast let us know so we can stop thinking about it.  Because right now as it stands it just seems to be mean spiritedness and stubborness to turn upside  down a community of a couple hundred thousand players. 

I'd like to get over Precu SWG.  I really, really would.  But with no quality alternatives and shuffling between one fantasy mmo to the next it is really hard.  And I'm so sick of it.  

• WhitewalkerWhitewalker Member Posts: 86

Very good awards...and congratulations to all the winners.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Even if you play or do not play EVE, it's not hard to see why it always ranks as one of the first. Even a none sci-fi fan will still be blasted away by it's outstanding production quality.

EVE has a solid community and even if it's smaller then many other MMO, it's not a sharded community. We're not talking about a community like WOW where each servers have their own micro culture and groups. We're talking about 1 single server that holds 38K+ players... Currently, when I launch my client, there's 27K people online. This creates a fairly consistent community. (I don't  known much about the Asian server)

Trinity expansion came with a fair share of problems but seriously, take your pride away for one minute and look at how beautiful the game is now. Unless you're filled with hate, you cannot deny that the devs worked extremely hard on their game. Now, we're not even starting to scratch the surface of what's about to come.

One thing that really makes EVE stand out is the sandbox gameplay. For many, that's a turn off but for the rest, that's quite an incredible feature and trust me, it's much harder to make a sandbox then a scripted MMO. I don't know much about MMO design but I know that when I tried to create a Quake 3 MP map, it really wasn't easy to make it nice and open for multiple tactic. However, making a really fun single player map was child's play. (well compared to the MP one that is :P)

EVE is pretty much what Blade Runner is for the cinema industry. Not many people can sit down and actually watch the entire movie without falling asleep but no one can deny that Blade Runner 's production quality is still on par with today's special effect and overall quality.

When you make something outstanding, even your enemies will be obligated to acknowledge your creation.

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by Wrayeth

I can't speak for other EVE players, but I've been visiting this site regularly for years, even if I don't post much.  I regularly read the features if the title in any way interests me, and occasionally post if I find something I feel strongly enough about to respond.

Please watch your sweeping gneralizations - such statements often come around to bite you in the ass when you least expect it.

I don't need to watch my anything, since I have seen the posts on the Eve forums in years past about coming here to register and vote for Eve. (I've seen it in other forums as well, it's not just Eve players)

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

One of the main reasons why EVE online is still on top, is because it is one of the few mmorpg's that stayed true to itself.

Just go down the list of the other sandbox mmorpg's or mmorpg's with unique features :

1. SWG :
    CU and NGE
    These 2 major gameplay changes basically took the SWG out of SWG and instantly killed the game.
    Instead they should have worked on fixing the bugs and bad ideas.
    1 example of a bad idea was allowing players to build anywhere. Even in front of a dungeon or other point of interest. Players of the other faction would be killed trying to get thru the defenses. A simple solution would have been to make certain area's off limits for building.

2. Ultima Online :
    Trammel and Age of Shadows
    Clearly these made large changes to the game, to me trammel was the worst, to others it was Age of Shadows.

3. DAoC :
    Started to go downhill with ToA
    Instead of hardcore nerfing ToA they made classic servers, dividing the playerbase ( which was already declining because of ToA ) in 2.
    Buffots was a reason to leave for me.
    New Frontiers did not help the game and made too drastic changes.
    Then they took away the players from the world and put them in instances.
    Finally they took out the soul of the game by clustering and not taking realm pride into account ( realm timers was one of the solutions ), also they did not merge the PvE areas at 1st ( only RvR ) so these areas stayed desolated.

4. To me those were the most importand games that were ruined intentionally ( SWG ) or unintentionally ( UO and DAoC ) by their Devs. If you have other similar experiences plz share :p

On the other hand, EVE online did everything right. They made 1 big cluster ( okay 2, blame the chinese ), this makes the game always alive. They do not charge for their expansions. Thus they do not have to lockout players from their expansion content, thus they can improve on the existing world and only expand the universe if needed ( when there is need for more space ) this also keeps the world alive.
    Then they have not changed anything drastically and sticked with their sandbox, skillsystem and PvP ideals and improved upon them.
    They did add easier accessible content ( missions ) for the newbies, but that did not detract from the endgame, it actually boosted it by bringing in new players and cash for the economy.

I think one of the few reasons why EvE does not have more players is because the combat system is pretty slow in missions or ratting. Mining is even worse. But I dont think there is an easy fix for this and this probably shouldnt be fixed anyway.

Greetz

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

If you are that upset about it then do what you claim the 200,000 EvE members do and promote the awards in your cookie cutters forums then.

I ask this every year and i rarely get a reply to this. Point is its a readers award thingy which means the readers vote and once again it seems EvE fans cared the most.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I generally agreed with the results this year, pretty much what I expected across the board.

If 29% of the people who voted for AoC try the game out I bet over 25% of them will find it a refreshing change from the norm.

Goto say with EA buying Mythic out, and Mythic announcing Beta Servers closed for 2 months and EB games listing their release for WAR @ Q4 2008, I guess alot of people weren't as enthused as before. Personally P. Barnett is a bigger turn off for me than all those combined.

The Chronicles of Spellborn @ 4% was a bit shocking considering the support here.

The difference between AoC and Warhammer is Chronicles of Spellborn!

Eve deserved what it got too imo.

• smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252

Not a bad round for this year's choice awards. But what i seem to notice is that this site always loves EVE no matter what.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.