Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could there be an Everquest 3 in the works?

Just thinking that EQ1 is almost dead, Vanguard is on life support, and EQ2 is getting on in years.  And I know these companies always have some top secret new game in the works, even if it's in the infant stage.

Does anyone think that Sony might be developing an Everquest 3?  Has anyone heard anything?

And if they do, I hope they use Jay Barbeau's original EQ music instead of Laura Karpman's jazzed up sounds.

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I hope not. If Smed thinks so he is mistaken. How far can you drag on the EQ series with diminishing returns. Since EQ2 launched it became nothing but a balancing act. What will they show in EQ3 that they couldn't already do in EQ2? Bet it will be the same game engine and same old thing. What will the story be? Oh that Qeynos is no longer there after another 500 years? Come on, if they even thought about an EQ3 it would be Vapor before it got into stage 1 beta.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by bezado

I hope not. If Smed thinks so he is mistaken. How far can you drag on the EQ series with diminishing returns. Since EQ2 launched it became nothing but a balancing act. What will they show in EQ3 that they couldn't already do in EQ2? Bet it will be the same game engine and same old thing. What will the story be? Oh that Qeynos is no longer there after another 500 years? Come on, if they even thought about an EQ3 it would be Vapor before it got into stage 1 beta.

A lot of folks still pine for the good old EQ days, and a lot of them (me included) had much different expectations for EQ2. 

I think if they set EQ3 in the pre-EQ1 days, where the world and lore are still intact, reimagine the continents and the terrain somewhat (but not too much), revamp the combat/magic/class systems, and give us good graphics (and good ol' Jay Barbeau's original "pre-jazzed" EQ1 music), they would fill their niche quite rapidly.  And keep it filled.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

I believe the lead developer for the current Everquest series stated that they do not plan to release another stand alone Everquest title any time soon but they are likely to keep the game evolving through expansions. I don't think they ever said they will not make a sequel, just it wont be any time soon.

I think that the article where it was mentioned was on their station news, I read it through a link on these forums in the Everquest 2 section if I remeber right.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Sequels are the antithesis of persistent worlds. They should never be made.

Make a new game, with a different IP...or do what CCP did and build a newer graphics engine around your old one. To make a sequel is to betray the loyal users who have populated these virtual worlds.

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614

The Facts: They already stated that maybe in the future they will have A fantasy game MMO, and it might be at least similar to the EQ style universe. It will not be named Everquest, or any variation thereof. Smed already admitted that was a mistake. Right now, they are working on some other completely differently geared MMO's that will be "completely different in playstyle" than any previous MMO, like Agency. EQ2 is still building customer base, so why take development away from something that's gaining population.

Speculation: Maybe in a couple years, they might start working on another fantasy MMO, but it'll be F2P with item malls and will probably be based on an already made up cinema world. Which one? Who knows, but they do have a lot of interests from their movie franchise to be able to pull some great ideas and get permissions from to build on.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I don't see the point. EQ2 was a far different game then EQ1.  I must preferred EQ1 due to it being one of the first MMOs it didn't have as many restrictions due to there being less knowledge about what works and doesn't work in MMOs.  EQ3 would be a different game then the others.  It would only be EQ3 in name.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

Dont think they have plans for that. They will probably work just to keep EQ1 and EQ2 alive with new packs and expansions. IMO if they are planning to release some new game it will be some thing completely diferent from what we have now and it wont be soon.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

I hope so. EQ2 wasn't anything like EQ, and would be good to see a more casual version of the old EQ recapturing some of it's appeal like its dungeons and that.

• kythikkythik Member UncommonPosts: 6

they have said many times that calling it "EverQuest 2" was a horrible mistake.  Maybe an eq1 prequel without everquest in the name set in the same world.  Though i doubt that they will use Norrath again for a mmorpg.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Who knows. I don't think the current people in charge over at SOE are too smart. They now have less subscribers with all the games they currently run than they did when it was just EQ. Even if they did come out with EQ3, or some sort of EQ spinoff I don't have faith it would be good. The original EQ designers are long gone, and its obvious no one in charge there has a clue.

I bet the top dog over at SOE hasn't played a game in his life.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Who knows but it would be amazing if there were a Eq 3 in the works,because no matter what anyone says the Everquest games are still IMO the best ever Mmo's  .

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

Smedley said in a interview that EQ2 was a mistake cause it was nothing like EQ and they shoulda called it something else. Not sure if that means there will never be a 3rd, i'm sure there will be in like 10 years.

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

NO

• Jixen9Jixen9 Member UncommonPosts: 49

i miss Everquest very much, it was my first mmo and by far the most challanging, to be honest i actually loved the grind and loved death penalty, its what made the game a challenge,.

An everquest 3 would be nice if it was a upgraded everquest 1 but it doesn't seem like it would happen.

Do u think if mabe soe mabe came out with some new everquest servers so people can start fresh again, you think it would bring back some of the old community? possibley starting you off with jeep gear like bronze or something to get people started or making mabe upgrading the economy by putting geat int he bazaar already, who knows, im just hoping for old everquest again, before everuone was lvl 70

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I dont believe they are anxious to delve into EQ3 anytime soon. EQ2 had its share of problems. I think its too soon for them to make another game. I believe the industry is too flooded with fantasy based MMORPGs. I dont think making another (even based on a popular line) would be a smart business decision.

I believe SOE is NOT out of the MMORPG busineess, but I think they will wait and see where the players and money drives them.If you ask me, the best thing to do would be to make a good sci-fi game.

Torrential

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

I believe the much beloved EQ series has seen its better days. As an old school player it is hard to let go of such a ground breaking game, but an EQ3 would be a shadow of what was and a prequel would only confuse the existing story line.

EQII had potential, at least in my opinion if they hadn't designed it with all the micro-managed restrictions and mechanics that 'some' people would have liked to have seen implemented in EQ to supposedly balance the game as well as keep people from griefing one another.

I did enjoying returning to Norrath in EQII and I thought they had made some improvements, but the restrictions were a huge turn off, especially for a soloing, kiting, quading Druid that I was, though I didn't always solo.

It may be argued that Vanguard may have had some semblance to this proverbial EQ3, however SOE has its hands full with The Agency and keeping Vanguard afloat, along with EQ in general.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

OMG NO please!

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by pencilrick

Just thinking that EQ1 is almost dead, Vanguard is on life support, and EQ2 is getting on in years.  And I know these companies always have some top secret new game in the works, even if it's in the infant stage.
    Does anyone think that Sony might be developing an Everquest 3?  Has anyone heard anything?
    And if they do, I hope they use Jay Barbeau's original EQ music instead of Laura Karpman's jazzed up sounds.

Actually, it would be more accurate to say that Vanguard is in recovery.  They're doing really good things with the game, and it's come a long way from life support.

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Originally posted by Czzarre
    I dont believe they are anxious to delve into EQ3 anytime soon. EQ2 had its share of problems. I think its too soon for them to make another game. I believe the industry is too flooded with fantasy based MMORPGs. I dont think making another (even based on a popular line) would be a smart business decision.
    I believe SOE is NOT out of the MMORPG busineess, but I think they will wait and see where the players and money drives them.If you ask me, the best thing to do would be to make a good sci-fi game.
    Torrential

EQ3 IN SPACE!!!!!!
  • MobidikMobidik Member Posts: 101

Why doing EQ3 when EQ2 is still on top? That gonna be a waste of Money and sur the next EQ will be in DX10 :D but atm EQ2 is very nice and i don't think that gonna worth it right now to do a EQ3

Manager
    www.crucialconnexion.ca
    Professional Gaming Organization
    #c2team irc@gamesurge
    Counter-Strike:Source
    - ESEA-I
    - CEVO-P
    Counter-Strike 1.6
    - ESEA-M

• SaikronSaikron Member Posts: 90

I really don't see how anybody could STILL be attracted to grinding.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by ianubisi

Sequels are the antithesis of persistent worlds. They should never be made.
    Make a new game, with a different IP...or do what CCP did and build a newer graphics engine around your old one. To make a sequel is to betray the loyal users who have populated these virtual worlds.

In a lot of recent interviews in the last few years, almost all companies / devs agree with this.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Some of you have mentioned that EQ2's mistake was being named after Everquest.  However, EQ2's draw was the Everquest name and EQ2's downfall was not being much like Everquest.

Again, I say folks want EQ classic and would love for the game to be reborn with new graphics, new mechanics, but generally the same old pre-Luclin world and atmosphere (which includes Jay Barbeau's music). 

People loved the old Norrath like readers love Middle Earth.  I cannot see Norrath dying out forever.  It should be reborn in EQ3 as a sandbox-style MMORPG.  I just hope Sony doesn't make the design mistakes it made with EQ2.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Some of you have mentioned that EQ2's mistake was being named after Everquest.  However, EQ2's draw was the Everquest name and EQ2's downfall was not being much like Everquest.
    Again, I say folks want EQ classic and would love for the game to be reborn with new graphics, new mechanics, but generally the same old pre-Luclin world and atmosphere (which includes Jay Barbeau's music). 
    People loved the old Norrath like readers love Middle Earth.  I cannot see Norrath dying out forever.  It should be reborn in EQ3 as a sandbox-style MMORPG.  I just hope Sony doesn't make the design mistakes it made with EQ2.

That's too good to be true. And it demands a talent and a love for MMORPGS that $$$OE does not have.

• jsw40jsw40 Member Posts: 214

I think if they set EQ3 in the pre-EQ1 days, where the world and lore are still intact, reimagine the continents and the terrain somewhat (but not too much), revamp the combat/magic/class systems, and give us good graphics (and good ol' Jay Barbeau's original "pre-jazzed" EQ1 music), they would fill their niche quite rapidly.  And keep it filled.

Hot damn, sign me up for that.