Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zero Punctuation Review , 100% Ownage

Comments

• tituswolftituswolf Member Posts: 27

2 months old and one of the reasons i hadn't planned on trying the game. Good thing they did the 3 day trial because i enjoyed the game much more than this guy leads you to believe is possible. To each his own

• LithdovLithdov Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by phennexion

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2326-Zero-Punctuation-Tabula-Rasa
    Lol, just amazing review of TR.

It's impressions from the beta from over two months ago. Epic fail, OP.

If you want a real harsh death penalty, go play Russian Roulet. - Hamzal

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Yea I saw this review of the beta as well,  Its hilarious and still has some valid points which i tottaly agree with the character customazation points, but lal in all i think its only a bit true to today. I love TR and have been playing it for over a month, which for any MMO after SWG is good for me.

-Jive

• kjfettkjfett Member UncommonPosts: 234

That review while funny was outdated when it hit the net back in October  As pointed out the customization issue is true but the focus on grinding TR doesn't even  come close to other MMOs certainly not WoWs grind  I am guessing the author was another one of those newbs that loaded up ran down to the LZ and spent 2 hours there thinking that was all there was past the first few missions designed to get you familiar with how to use weapons and movement in general that all MMOs have to start out with or we would have even more ranting reviews from newbs showing just how incapable they are at rubbing brain cells to produce thought is

There..I pulled out all the punctuation to stay in step with the review and its lack of relevance to TR as it exists today.

• johndmesjohndmes Member Posts: 42

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2326-Zero-Punctuation-Tabula-Rasa

Well, too bad you have absolutely no clue AND no comprehension of things inyour attempt at trolling  - you might have come off with better than a 0/10 for the attempt.

1) Zero Punctuation des not publish reviews.  Evar.  The guy doing them is a satirist, and has noting good to say about anything.  Try listening to some of his other casts sometime - you'll see.  That is, if you had any real interest at all.

2) That cast came out in October, and was based on a early beta release. so a lot of what he goes on about doesn't exist anymore..  That said for the apologists.

So, we have: old news, posted by a guy who has nothing nice to say about anything.  0/10 on the Troll scale.

GG, you just had a epic fail.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

2) That cast came out in October, and was based on a early beta release. so a lot of what he goes on about doesn't exist anymore..  That said for the apologists.

Can you or someone elaborate on this a little more. What exactly has changed since beta??

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• LobenLoben Member CommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by Briansho

Can you or someone elaborate on this a little more. What exactly has changed since beta??

Is this a serious question? Or is this an attempt to troll? If it's a serious question, I believe you can look at historical patch notes on www.rgtr.com to see a complete list.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by Loben

Is this a serious question? Or is this an attempt to troll? If it's a serious question, I believe you can look at historical patch notes on www.rgtr.com to see a complete list.

I'm not talking about patches to game code. I'm talking about gameplay and immersion...

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by Loben

I'm not talking about patches to game code. I'm talking about gameplay and immersion...

When I first played the game in beta I could not believe how broken combat was, and how everything just seemed like a chore instead of fun. Not to mention all the items you gathered for missions were florescent pink, bright orange, and purple. 

There were bane drop ships right in the middle of bases that were supposed to be secured, which made you feel you always had to be on the move giving you no chance to rest, or sick back and enjoy the scenery.

Also I Weapon fire seemed to lag alot, and had other problems associated with terrain and texture clipping,

All of the above mentioned has been fixed!

The Armor colors were changed to standard attractive colors with the option given in game to change them if you wish.

The Drop ships do not always enter bases, instead only at random events they do, so you are fighting on the battlefield not in every nook and cranny of the game.

The Weapons fire great and I never get shot through a wall unless its by a RPG or some sort.

Plus the game just feels more dynamic, and the scenery is so freakin Sci-Fi its insane!

Enjoy the game my friend, its a good one,

-Jive

• JMadisonIVJMadisonIV Member Posts: 282

what is "Zero Punctuation" and what makes its opinion important?

I see a lot of links to different reviews of various games by this guy/website/whatever, and I don't quite get the hype or importance.

is it an actual gaming website, or is it just some guy with a blog?

• johndmesjohndmes Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by JMadisonIV

what is "Zero Punctuation" and what makes its opinion important?
    I see a lot of links to different reviews of various games by this guy/website/whatever, and I don't quite get the hype or importance.
    is it an actual gaming website, or is it just some guy with a blog?
    It's a 'cast (audio/video thing) put out by the Escapist Magazine.

It features a Australian host (calls himself Yahtzee) who puts out his opinion on games he's given to "review".

Mostly, the "reviews" are a Robin Williams - like verbal diarhhea of various nonsense.  The guy never actually LIKES a game - he's a satirist, and his "reviews" are more a satire of rabid fanboyism by being rabid anti-fanboyism.   That is, if youactually listen to what he's saying, it is.  HE does have some good points to make, though - if you can ferret them out from the other bullcarp.

Are his casts troll fodder?  Oh Yes, They Are :)

• ZelkariZelkari Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by johndmes

....The guy doing them is a satirist, and has noting good to say about anything. ...

... posted by a guy who has nothing nice to say about anything...

Actually he praises Portal. XD

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

hehe, that was some funny shit. More so because it a lot of what he says is true.

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

Comedy Gold.

Thanks for the laughs.

Will be watching for more reviews in the future on different games now

Originally posted by Dwarfman420

Comedy Gold.
    Thanks for the laughs.

You'll be waiting a while...he doesn't do game reviews....His whole purpose is to get a laugh, not give unbiased game reviews.  Heck, most of this TR rant was about how MMO players overall in any MMO are fat, lazy losers and live in their parent's basements.  In fact, he even says that he doesn't play MMOs except for a free trial in WOW he was given.  

Originally posted by kjfett

Comedy Gold.
    Thanks for the laughs.

You'll be waiting a while...he doesn't do game reviews....His whole purpose is to get a laugh, not give unbiased game reviews.  Heck, most of this TR rant was about how MMO players overall in any MMO are fat, lazy losers and live in their parent's basements.  In fact, he even says that he doesn't play MMOs except for a free trial in WOW he was given.  

That doesnt mean that the things he says isnt true. For example, a grown man who used to wear a crown and want people to call him Lord British?

The fact that most of the things that you can do at create character screen is soon nullified when you do your first missions and get better armor and helmet which covers/replaces those things?

The striking similarities between WoW and TR?

Same usual grind as in other MMORPGs (read WoW)? Do quest which tells you to kill X, Y and Z mob at location A, B and C which lets you get better armor/weapons. Rinse repeat, from level 1 to 50 with basically the same type of mobs and missions?

The problem that people who like FPS games and MMORPGs usually dont overlap much and since TR is trying to be an MMORPG/FPS hybrid then that can cause a problem. For example the FPS like element of flipping control points back and forth combined with quest givers being located in said places?

The problem that devs, particulary MMORPG devs, want to draw as many people as possible to they make the game so general as possible and in the proccess scare away most people because they are looking for something specific?

And he brings those points in such a funny, sarcastic way that it is simply genious. And those things he says about MMORPG players being fat and retarted are just jokes. Just as he says he puts his you know what in lettuce.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Originally posted by Zelkari

Originally posted by johndmes

....The guy doing them is a satirist, and has noting good to say about anything. ...

... posted by a guy who has nothing nice to say about anything...

Actually he praises Portal. XD

And then he said he would stab out his own eyes if he ever used the word 'sublime' to describe another game ever again  

He liked Assassin's Creed too, but he rags a great deal on it as well in his video. 

Yahtzee isn't a typical game reviewer as other people have pointed out.     He mocks the bad points of any game which works out well for him because EVERY game in the universe has its bad points.   You don't watch his videos for a critcial review, you watch them for a laugh because they are always worth a laugh.

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by kjfett

Comedy Gold.
    Thanks for the laughs.

That doesnt mean that the things he says isnt true. For example, a grown man who used to wear a crown and want people to call him Lord British?

So what?  You go around wanting to be called Yamota.  The only difference is...he is the one with the deep pockets. 

The fact that most of the things that you can do at create character screen is soon nullified when you do your first missions and get better armor and helmet which covers/replaces those things?

A common issue with many MMOs.  And the MMOs that allow for such features to be turned off are often beset by forum trolls compaining how its unrealistic.  I can take my helmet off when I like though and the helmets at least look cool.

The striking similarities between WoW and TR?

Same usual grind as in other MMORPGs (read WoW)? Do quest which tells you to kill X, Y and Z mob at location A, B and C which lets you get better armor/weapons. Rinse repeat, from level 1 to 50 with basically the same type of mobs and missions?

TR has a much larger variety of missions over WoW.  It is true they both revolve around questing for leveling, but then again...aside from EVE, what MMORPG doesn't? 

The problem that people who like FPS games and MMORPGs usually dont overlap much and since TR is trying to be an MMORPG/FPS hybrid then that can cause a problem. For example the FPS like element of flipping control points back and forth combined with quest givers being located in said places?

They never marketed TR as a game that will apeal to all gamers.  You are prrof of that.  You couldn't handle it and so you hate it and flame the forums about it day and night.  NCSoft isn't losing any sleep over that though.

The problem that devs, particulary MMORPG devs, want to draw as many people as possible to they make the game so general as possible and in the proccess scare away most people because they are looking for something specific?

The only things scary was that paragraph.

And he brings those points in such a funny, sarcastic way that it is simply genious. And those things he says about MMORPG players being fat and retarted are just jokes. Just as he says he puts his you know what in lettuce.

Just jokes? lol keep telling yourself that. 

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

guy is a freak. always entertaining though, like pro wrestling.

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

If you dont understand that his reviews are meant to be funny and as such is a big joke in itself then you are taking this game way too seriously.

And regarding NCSoft not loosing any sleep because of me "flaming it day and night" well it sure seem to cause alot of other people in those forum to lose sleep because they seem to spend as much time responding and stubbornly defending the game from whatever criticism is expressed about it.

{ Mod Edit }

• Drej_X_ArmyDrej_X_Army Member Posts: 151

I beta test and have been playing since its release and for the most part, the review is to the T. When you reach lvl 50, you will see. I been grinding endlessly for no reason at all, just to get to lvl 50, YYYYYY, cause there are to many broken and bugged mission/instances in the game. I never set foot on the Mires map to do missions, NEVER. When I was at the right level to goto Mires, it was SOOOOOO laggy, doing anything there was a headache and a waste of time. So like most everyone else my level or higher, we skipped it. I have ran across people who went to mires and they are level 48, with nothing left, but to grind to 50. This game doesnt match to SWG, so dont think its a good subsitute. I was day 1 SWG, back when the game meant something. Now granted, the guy reviewing is always pointing out the negatives, but you know what, Bad news sells, Bad things are always what makes people decide to buy it. Not the good. For example, the Iraq War, who here has heard the GOOD things going on over there??? Very few have. And when you open the beta to anyone and everyone, this is what happens. The game is ok for the most part, but its still lacking hard core.