Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Symantec Screwup Is 'Worse Than Any Virus'

daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2229576,00.asp

This would qualify as another I told you so from anyone who has read any of my rants against these guys.

D.

Comments

• Agent_X7Agent_X7 Staff WriterMember, Newbie CommonPosts: 515

Yeah, most anti-virus software is worse than most virii. Gee, let me purposely install something that slows down my system, makes programs that I use crash or not run at all, and generally make slife difficult for me. Oh boy, I get to pay for it too?!? Sweet!

I install Spyware Doctor and AVG monthly, run them, and uninstall. SD is the only program that ever finds anything, and it's mostly tracking cookies.

Half the time I swear that these companies put out the virus themselves to scare people in to buying their software.

Agent_X7 AKA J Star
    [/URL]image
    Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I pretty much run AVG and windows defender. I've never had any spyware or virus issues. I'll occaisionally run adaware, stuff like that on the just in case factor.

D.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

I don't know why anyone would use Norton or Macafee bloatware. Use AVG or Avast for free anti-virus. IMO the best pay anti-virus/spyware program is Nod32. I don't even notice it running in the background, including when looking at e-mail.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Ya NOD32 sometimes made me think hmm is this thing on.  Then I went to mmorpg.com one day when some hacker put a keylogger on.  Suffice to say it caught it before the page began loading.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Not their first screw up, and won't be their last.

Remember this little fiasco with Norton AV, when it killed thousands of Chinese computers?: tech.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1322675.php/Symantec_wants_to_offer_compensation_for_update_glitch

"The Norton Anti-Virus update caused the computers to recognize two Windows XP files as malicious and remove them."

I tell anyone I meet who runs any Symantec program to find an alternative, ANY alternative. Symantec is a joke.

Like I've said before, and will say again, no doubt..

The chief problems in people's pc's I've worked on go like this on a daily basis:

Issues caused by: Norton, McAfee, Norton and McAfee on same system, AOL,then hardware issues.

Typically before I could even fix a computer I'd have to remove norton and or McAfee. Half the time I'd have to root through the directory and the registry to root out all the hidden portions of Norton and AOL..those programs are horrible.

It's like giving a cancer patient the HIV virus to cure him..

D.

• DeathpooperDeathpooper Member Posts: 265

i think its better to have a router, don't use IE, scan periodically than having AV monitor on.

• Hades_WarpigHades_Warpig Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by daelnor

I pretty much run AVG and windows defender. I've never had any spyware or virus issues. I'll occaisionally run adaware, stuff like that on the just in case factor.
    D.

QFT me too!

Heh.

D.