Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Most Profound of Philosophical Forums: Barrens Chat

Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

The mark of a great MMORPG should never be its gameplay, lore, character cusomization, size of the gaming world etc., but the subjects and contents of its online conversations.  THAT'S WHAT MAKES A GAME GREAT!

Or not.

I find it funny that one of the mark's WoW has left on our little MMORPG community is a term which describes the absolutely inane, worthless chatter that floats across our chat windows in any given game we are playing.

Barrens Chat.

In no less than three games I have played in the last 6 months, this term has found itself lodged in the chat comments I found myself scanning while playing.  LOTRO, EQ2 and Vanguard, whose rabid fans shun any thought of similarity to our MMORPG juggernaught, find at least some comparison in the mindless gibberings that clutter our texted conversations. 

It never fails.  It seems like every playing session, I get "OMG, we're in Barrens chat!"  "This is just like Barrens chat."  "Barrens chat ftw!!!!" scrolling down my screen.  Every possible topic seems to find itself pee'd into the gutter of a game's general chat channel.  And every so often, some deeply profound subject comes and it's like watching 2 year olds trying to play chess.  It's almost physically painful.  And God forbid you actually enter the muddy water with rest of the sermonizing mob.  It doesn't matter what you type, it still sounds stupid next to the rest of the heathen. 

Barrens Chat

It's like some virus has mutated and invaded other hosts, quietly spreading, eventually destined to bring an end to the world as we know it!!!

Or not.

Barrens Chat.  Why not Stormwind chat or Ironforge chat?  I've played Alliance and those thinktanks are as retarded as the Horde.  Anyway, any other games you've come across where Barrens Chat is mentioned in the general channel of your MMORPG?  I'm curious to find out how far this moniker has imbedded itself into our psyches.

Comments

• mehhemmehhem Member Posts: 653

You say "Barrens chat"  I say MMORPG.com forums...

• ThalosVipavThalosVipav Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Pale_Fire

I've played Alliance and those thinktanks are as retarded as the Horde. 
    this made me LOL... alot

To answer your question...

Every game I have played lately.

Tabula Rasa

LOTR

EQ2

Vanguard...especially Vanguard.

Thalos Vipav
    Star Wars Galaxies: R.I.P.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Cause the Horde is 1337.  Every nooby and goody tushoo joins the alliance.  But it takes that special person to join the horde that will discuss things like "Why is my dogs poop green?" and "What can my character jump off of and live?"

Also everything on the horde is better then on the alliance.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Although i'm not playing World of Warcraft, i found the reason for naming it after the horde:

Tradition!

After Starcraft, the term of "zerging" or "to zerg" was coined. Named after the bad (?) side. So it was just continued now with WoW, because we all like tradtion

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• phluuxphluux Member Posts: 211

Tabula Rasa may yet redefine "Barrens Chat". On Pegasus, you are almost guaranteed to log on in the middle of a "discussion" amongst the members. It can be anything from how good or bad WoW is, to religious debate, to politics, etc. The scariest part about this is that these people actually believe that they are intelligent enough to talk about these topics!

I'm tellin' ya. Barrens chat seems mild compared to what I've experienced on Pegasus in TR. Seriously.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Sadly, I'm the politics 'baiter' on /1 for TR. Only because I hate the WoW chatter and what not. Then again, I also try to throw in a few Cartman references just to get people to laugh and realize it's a game. :-P

-- Brede

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by CleffyII

Cause the Horde is 1337.  Every nooby and goody tushoo joins the alliance.  But it takes that special person to join the horde that will discuss things like "Why is my dogs poop green?" and "What can my character jump off of and live?"
    Also everything on the horde is better then on the alliance.
    One thing I have to say about World of Warcraft, after starting the game with an Alliance Night Elf rogue and then migrating to a Horde character, is that the Horde knows how to help each other out during PvP. The Horde is mostly outnumbered on most servers so we needed to learn how to play together and help each other out. Besides that it's the same type of people that play both factions. I've met some great people and some assholes on both sides.

I do enjoy Barrens chat though. In my opinion, the people who hate it, need to get off their high horse and let their hair down. Have some fun, you're playing a freaking game. Socializing and having fun with random people is what MMORPGs are all about not "group play" as some people will have you believe.

• In Beta the Tabula Rasa chat was pretty retarded because you had 1 million idiots continually talking about WoW.  Saying the same things that have been said thousands of times already, but the same ting happens in many new releases.  Auto Assault had that too.

Barren's Chat is a strange twilight zone phenomenon that I have never understood.  I played horde and alliance, but settled onto horde, and there was just no zone chat like Barrens Chat.  Its not that people said stupid stuff, it was the sheer volume and consistency of just dumb stuff.  Not even arguing just assinine comments repeated ad infinitum.  Just a sheer brick wall of idiocy.  It wasn't even interesting.   I eventually immediate turned off barrens chat on all my alts who were of that level range, because soon as you entered the Barrens you started seeing the same things said that you saw a month the last time you played through that level range.

When I realized other servers had the same thing going on I was like  "Wow that is freaky".  Certainly I have seen no shortage of idiocy but the barrens chat phenomenon still puzzles me.  Its the consistency of it that gets me.  Its not some hodge podge of crap with occasional decent chat like TR's chat can be.  Its a consistent wall of the same completely worhtless drivel. 

Its like  there is some Hivemind for slack jawed drooling morons. 

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

"Its like  there is some Hivemind for slack jawed drooling morons. "

Excuse me?

Because you "typed" these words. And cause you "typed them so well, the rest of us are retards.

Check out the award. You got my first Donkey award of the week.

...Oh great CS/programmer guy....

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• NeeAnderTallNeeAnderTall Member Posts: 79

It is my most sincere wish to see in a theatrical release of World of Warcraft to see at the bottom of the movie screen, in it's full view and clarity, the Barrens Chat window scrolling throughout the entire length of the movie. This is an unparralleled sight gag opportunity.

Adding the chat window hasn't been done yet in a movie, but if World of Warcraft were to be adequately represented by it's community, the Barrens Chat window is a must-have. For good or evil, for the drunken college students watching the movie for the 1st time, nothing could be more hilarious. 

The only pitfall is if it isn't copied and pasted from actuall Barrens chat logs. Hollywood writers are good, but not good enough to fool us what an authentic Barrens Chat content would be.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

As it was a big zone it intially started off with lots of chat. Now lots of chat everywhere is perceived badly, whether it be the barrens or elsewhere-Ironforge, Stormwind. Barrens chat was coined because of this start and then its reputation now means people either are ready to intepret everything being said as the dumbest thing ever or try to maintain it's reputation.

• DrunkenPreyDrunkenPrey Member Posts: 122

Crossroads Chat would sound like a bad country and western band name, whereas Barrens Chat makes it sound more like a heavy metal band name.

This thread has now been barrened. It's like pwned but cooler. Dear god just talking about Barrens chat makes you think of retarted statements.

WAR is coming. Look busy.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by gestalt11

In Beta the Tabula Rasa chat was pretty retarded because you had 1 million idiots continually talking about WoW.  Saying the same things that have been said thousands of times already, but the same ting happens in many new releases.  Auto Assault had that too.
    Barren's Chat is a strange twilight zone phenomenon that I have never understood.  I played horde and alliance, but settled onto horde, and there was just no zone chat like Barrens Chat.  Its not that people said stupid stuff, it was the sheer volume and consistency of just dumb stuff.  Not even arguing just assinine comments repeated ad infinitum.  Just a sheer brick wall of idiocy.  It wasn't even interesting.   I eventually immediate turned off barrens chat on all my alts who were of that level range, because soon as you entered the Barrens you started seeing the same things said that you saw a month the last time you played through that level range.
    When I realized other servers had the same thing going on I was like  "Wow that is freaky".  Certainly I have seen no shortage of idiocy but the barrens chat phenomenon still puzzles me.  Its the consistency of it that gets me.  Its not some hodge podge of crap with occasional decent chat like TR's chat can be.  Its a consistent wall of the same completely worhtless drivel. 
    "Its like  there is some Hivemind for slack jawed drooling morons. "

LOL!  Quote of the day.  Thanks.

In Beta the Tabula Rasa chat was pretty retarded because you had 1 million idiots continually talking about WoW.  Saying the same things that have been said thousands of times already, but the same ting happens in many new releases.  Auto Assault had that too.

I'm sorry, from now I will refrain from having fun in a video game, no less, and attempt to hold only intelliectual discussions. I was under the impression that video games should be fun. However, I guess I was wrong. Or maybe I was under the influence of this "Hivemind of slack-jawed drooling morons".

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

FOR THE Hivemind of the slack jawed drooling morons!!

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

Originally posted by xxvicexx

[*]When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
    [*]Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
    [*]There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
    [*]Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.
    [*]Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.
    [*]Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head. There is no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold, so he turned the sun up. Chuck Norris doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is. Chuck Norris gave Mona Lisa that smile. Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door. Chuck Norris does not get frostbite. Chuck Norris bites frost
    http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/11/chuck_norris_in.html

LOL! What a perfect response!

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

• Originally posted by heartless

I'm sorry, from now I will refrain from having fun in a video game, no less, and attempt to hold only intelliectual discussions. I was under the impression that video games should be fun. However, I guess I was wrong. Or maybe I was under the influence of this "Hivemind of slack-jawed drooling morons".

Fun?  That would be fine.  Inane silliness?  That would be fine even enjoyable.

Barrens Chat is neither one.  Its completely worthless.  And not just completely worhtless but the same crap over and over.  Its like the same bad knock knock joke being told over and over.

Originally posted by heartless

Barrens Chat is neither one.  Its completely worthless.  And not just completely worhtless but the same crap over and over.  Its like the same bad knock knock joke being told over and over.

Yea but if people enjoy it, what's the problem?

• TrandTrand Member UncommonPosts: 234

Well I almost never level in the Barrens anymore since Ghostlands has much better quests and loot, but the times I was in Barrens and the chat got out of hand I would just shut it off. Problem Solved.

DOAC is still the MMO I judge other games by, My first and still my favorite.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Ahh Barrens and Trade(formerly LFG) channels. 2 things I will never miss about WoW.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by heartless

Yea but if people enjoy it, what's the problem?

Who said there was a problem.  I said I turned it off just like the gentleman above.

What it is though, is just plain mystifying.  The sheer consistency of it across all servers.  Its uncanny.

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

This is probably obvious to most people but....what Chuck Norris Facts people find amusing is not the jokes themselves, but how people react to them. That's the whole point of Chuck Norris facts in Barrens Chat, and its pretty funny how alot of players completely miss the point of them. The people that get their undies in a knot over the Facts spew "ur a homo" (so original), a generic and boring ur mum joke (original too) or some other profane response. Or they pull out an elitist jerk attitude or holier-then-thou attitude rofl. Funnily enough the Chuck Norris jokes aren't even offensive compared to alot of the people who hate Chuck Facts, they're just outrageously over-the-top.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

WoW is a shallow easy game to play.  Don't  make fun of the only thing it brought new to MMORPGs ...and that is a horrible gaming community.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by CleffyII
    "What can my character jump off of and live?"

As an alliance paladin. I don't ask that question. I just do it. =P

Jumping off Darnasus cliffs ftw!