Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Video Dev Diary: Housing

MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

Here's a new LotRO dev diary video for you to enjoy.  Jeffrey talks about player housing. 

Video Interview Video Dev Diary: Housing

Jeffrey Steefel Executive Producer for LotRO is back, this time talking about player housing which will be included in the upcoming book 11 update.

Watch more here.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Comments

• a_namea_name Member Posts: 249

When he said that stuff about... an elf town... a hobbit town... my brain said omg segregation never integration now (and i havent seen hairspray in easily 5 years).  Doesn't sound like a bad thing to have housing and it was nice graphically. My fave part was the ending where the movie voice guy says something like 'ted t for teen' ...think they cut him off for the 'ra'

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

The houses look very nicely done, impressive.

How do the houses work though?  Do they work like they do in SWG, where you could place them where ever you want?  I know they are racially segregated, but is it one big open area per race?  Like can you pick lot or are the lots already in  a spot and you just buy that house on that plot of land?

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• FiredornFiredorn Member UncommonPosts: 93

They have instanced neighborhoods.  Each neighborhood has like 20 or so houses (don't remember exactly).  The neighborhoods have their own vendors and mailboxes.  And if I'm not mistaken, you can buy a house in a neighborhood that's not from your race.  The layout of the neighborhood is pre-determined, the houses are already on it.  They are either vacant (can be bought) or already bought.  Basically, if you want a specific type of house, just go to it's corresponding neighborhood (elf, hobbit, man or dwarf).  Then buy the house you want to buy (regular or deluxe).  Only Kinship leaders can buy Kinship Houses (if I remember correctly).

• eRAZOR2007eRAZOR2007 Member Posts: 70

Too bad that it takes Blizzard ages to implement this for WoW.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by seryth

They have instanced neighborhoods.  Each neighborhood has like 20 or so houses (don't remember exactly).  The neighborhoods have their own vendors and mailboxes.  And if I'm not mistaken, you can buy a house in a neighborhood that's not from your race.  The layout of the neighborhood is pre-determined, the houses are already on it.  They are either vacant (can be bought) or already bought.  Basically, if you want a specific type of house, just go to it's corresponding neighborhood (elf, hobbit, man or dwarf).  Then buy the house you want to buy (regular or deluxe).  Only Kinship leaders can buy Kinship Houses (if I remember correctly).
    Spot on.  Also there are hooks in the houses for items. As of right now they are fairly poorly done imo. For example you have Large wall/floor/furnature spots. Small wall/floor/furnature spots. Thin Furnature spots and a "special" furnature spot. 1 cieling hook. Outside (for a delux home which is what i have) you have large and small yard hooks. There is also 1 welcome mat hook. What I dislike the most is you can get statues for outside and trophies (which are statues of the paticular animal) for inside but they arent interchangable. What I mean by that is I have a Brown bear trophy......I love my Brown bear trophy, it looks cool as hell. The problem is I can only put it inside because its for a large furnature spot. Not being able to put it outside in a large yard hook spot really bummed me. I also have a little brown beaver carved statue that is marked as an outside hook and because of that I cant put it inside.

Overall housing is nice and they are working on adding alot more to it (a small example they gave us during a dev chat is the "hooks" will be rotateable in book 12. O and the dev who desighned the deluxe hobbit house is a    The main room is way way out of proportion.

One other thing I would like to add is the neighborhoods really do feel to fit the racial properties. The dorfs do feel like they are inside a mountain. Humans looks like a middle class midevil time town. Elves have verry extravigant looking neighborhoods and hobbit houses look 99% like the ones in the movies.

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Yeah whatever Xeno says, and I have to agree that hobbit houses inside are a bit weird. Too much room. Hobbit houses supposed to have "tunneled" structure. Not a huge rooms. Goot start though. Some games simply don't have ANY housing.