Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Halloween Celebration 2007 "What did you like or not like about this year's celebration?"

Shaggy67Shaggy67 Member Posts: 76

Hello fellow GW players,

I was just wondering how you liked or disliked this year's event.This was my first event in  a GW celebration. I will give you my impressions of my experience in game. It was awesome to play!!!!

I had a lot of fun!!! I enjoyed my first celebration from the special items drops to the Halloween Brawl I loved it all!!! I have prophecies so it took me some time to get to Lion's Arch. I went ahead and done this before the celebration, just barely!! I read about past celebrations and found out Lion's Arch is where most of the events are going on so I needed to map at least to LA. It took awhile but was well worth the effort. Since I could go straight to LA, I could see the changes happen gradually it was so cool.Normally I just PvE but another player was telling about the brawl and got me to try it out.It was a lot of fun to play!  To my surprise I really enjoyed it and it was a cool way for PvE people to try their hand at PvP. I liked the trick or treat bags that was cool.I really liked the masks that they gave away in this year's event.For prophecies it was the scarecrow. I took a screenshot, just got to figure out how to upload to image site to get URL.Not sure if this will erase image or not ? I'd like to keep a copy just in case I want to send it out again.

Just wanted to know how your celebration went? If you want to share screenshots that's fine too!

Comments

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Loved it, as i always love GW events...   even doing tonights Ascension show about them too and the general feedback in the show IRC is good too, so yeah, seems like most liked it

imageimage

• WeareweareWeareweare Member UncommonPosts: 195

Let me start off by saying that I wanted a pumpkin mask. But no... I only received a scarecrow mask, didn't even waste my time getting a mummy mask! Other than that, the towns being decorated is a neat change, the costume brawl was neat although it didn't hold my attention for too long. The holiday items.. eh, waste of storage, nothing outstanding. Truthfully I would rather see a Dragon Festival again, i don't believe anything can be as great as the boardwalk! I'll look forward to the Winter's Day event. All in all i was disappointed, i wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary but double ab faction points would have held my attention longer than this.

but we had pumpkins two years on the trot, i'm personally glad they went with another design this time

imageimage

• Shaggy67Shaggy67 Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

but we had pumpkins two years on the trot, i'm personally glad they went with another design this time

Hi Lonesamurai1,

I liked this years masks they are very cool !!  I will post a screenshot here so that everyone can see the scarecrow mask. A special thanks to 8Hammer8 for showing me how to make screenshots in Guild Wars and post them here. Thank you!! I did it finally!!

ScarecrowMask-2.jpg Scarecrow Mask (message board size) picture by Shaggy67_bucket

Originally posted by Shaggy67

Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

Hi Lonesamurai1,

I liked this years masks they are very cool !!  I will post a screenshot here so that everyone can see the scarecrow mask. A special thanks to 8Hammer8 for showing me how to make screenshots in Guild Wars and post them here. Thank you!! I did it finally!!

no worries, glad you liked the event

imageimage

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

boring man same thing every time, they gotta change some things sometimes

• Shaggy67Shaggy67 Member Posts: 76

Hi Aseenus thanks for your post,

Being my initial event, I thought it was really great. I'm not a PvP person but playing the Halloween Brawl was a great way for PvE players to see what the PvP arenas are all about. I really enjoyed the brawl and it has me interested in the PvP aspect of the game. Since I got a chance to try it out.

Apparently for vetrans of the game this was a lot like last year's event. I can see why the makers of the game wouldn't want to mess with the event too much because this event seems to be the most popular celebration. The old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it comes to mind. I can also see the vetrans point of view of needing change to keep things fresh so that they will have just as much fun as the new players.

There are loads of ideas to choose from. Take some of the events that work well with other celebrations and put a Halloween theme to them like the beetle bug race that I've heard about.You could have special missions with a Halloween theme to them.You could even add a haunted house and special PvP arenas on newly discovered islands that disappear after Halloween.Halloween themed mini games like the ones in Eye of the North. Special armor runes that will change your armor to go along with your Halloween hats and just last through celebration.There are loads of ideas to choose from.There could be a contest where we vote for what ideas to put in next year's event.The possibilities are endless.

• SecromSecrom Member Posts: 318
    I thought it was cool. I found the scarecrow hat a bit meh but whatever =).

Some jokes were actually funny hehe...
  • AetaryaAetarya Member Posts: 24
    I felt that the event was pretty much the same as usual. But I enjoy the fact that ANet gives us these holiday events and especially the fact that they at least attempt to add something new even while working on other projects (GW2 and BMP).

The new costume brawl was a nice idea that went well with the Halloween theme. And I did find it fun to play as some of the henchmen for awhile. But for me the costume brawl wasn’t as appealing and fun as when rollerbeetle racing and the snowball arenas were released. I guess it’s because the only real new element from the costume brawl was the costumes.

But even though I may have not enjoyed it to its fullest, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a great event. It’s probably just as you mention Shaggy67; a routine for the veterans and exciting for the newcomers.
  • GiantRyanGiantRyan Member Posts: 6

Mmmm I LOVED the costume Brawls they kicked ass. Drops were good as well. Mad King is always great but I didn't liek the festival hats for this year's halloween. I wanted a witch hat but missed it last yr for the furious pumpkin crown which don't get me wrong is jsut as awsome but I was definitely dissapointed by this yr's festival hats for halloween

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

Pumpkin heads were given out in '05.  Witches hats came in '06.  Scarecrow & mummy in 07.  My main account has them all. 

• GiantRyanGiantRyan Member Posts: 6

ahhhh...very nice. Pumpkin hats also came out in 06' too tho. Witches were given in NF and furiosu pumpkin hats in LA. :P

• gerry7gerry7 Member Posts: 53

i was really looking forward to getting a witches hat this year bcoz i missed last years, and the male witch hats looks like the hats that the black mages in final fantasy wore and im a proud final fantasy fan . i was really dissapointed when i found out they changed the mask this year. however the overall celebration was alright and i made a bit from sellling tot bags lol

• NoUrbanLightNoUrbanLight Member Posts: 70

I may not have much experience, but the Halloween event in Guild Wars was one of the most well executed I've partaken in compared to other games. There was a little something for everyone... the trick or treat goodies for PvE players, the Costume Brawl for PvP, and the decked out cities were a feast for the eyes. And the brawl was actually well handled. Everyone could give it a go since with the costumes they were handing off new skills and stats as well so everyone that went in was on even footing. I met a few ungracious types in the arena, but was greatly surprised at just how well it went not being much a PvPer myself before the event but an addict afterwards. I really love this particular game's set up, but I can rant about that another time. The King Thorn event game me a laugh as well, and I really have to admire the server set up they had during the event to handle the massive amounts of people. Packed servers, and I didn't lag for even a second.

By the by, I have roughly 100 unopened trick or treat bags. :)

~~~~~
    "Big surprise... there was no protection by this urban light..."

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Its been widely reported that guild wars has some of the best holiday events of any MMORPG. Halloween is probably one of the best examples.

Torrential