Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Developer Profile - Elliott Kingdon

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Each month, MMORPG.com brings you a profile of one of the developers working on Funcom's Age of Conan. This month, it's Loremaster Elliott Kingdon who answers our questions.

MMORPG.com:

Tell us a little about your childhood. How did school and where you live influence your choice to join the video game community?

Elliott Kingdom:

Fantasy gaming has been part of my life since I was twelve years old. A book called Warlock of Firetop Mountain came out and soon after I discovered Basic Dungeons & Dragons. I've been playing D&D ever since. At school I organized a lunchtime gaming club where we played the Dune boardgame, Judge Dredd boardgame and Nuclear War cardgame incessantly.

I got into PC's because I wanted to play X-Wing and went on to a degree in Information Systems but I spent a lot of my time at university playing Command and Conquer, King of Dragon Pass and Alpha Centauri, as well as Call of Cthulu and good old D&D.

I'm from the UK but was already resident here in Norway when I got the job at Funcom. It's the only job I ever saw with 'dungeon master' in the candidate requirements. I moved across the country to work here and it's been well worth it.

Read the whole thing here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ShangalaShangala Member Posts: 54

His name is Kingdon...

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Nice interview, I'm happy that someone of his caliber is looking after the lore side of things within the team.

I loved Warlock of Firetop Mountain too :P

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

I really don't see how he qualifies as a lore master of Hyboria.  If this was Star Wars game, I could understand, he can't shut up talking about Star Wars, even on official forums.  One would think that lore master would for such strong IP as Conan would actually be somebody with decent amount of experiance, but it looks like Eliot started reading Conan materials only after he got the job to work on the game - I guess that's why we have freaking fireballs in the game.  Eliot, get fired or get your shit together.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • Who_Are_YouWho_Are_You Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Drvanitus

I really don't see how he qualifies as a lore master of Hyboria.

Probably by impressing the professional game designers at Funcom plus the people who control the Conan IP.

• kujiikujii Member UncommonPosts: 190

Conan blows fire balls out of his arse and is 7feet tall just like William Wallace. 

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

i dunno about fireballs but i recall that one of the original stories i read had some magic pyrotech-ery in it.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

Originally posted by Drvanitus

I really don't see how he qualifies as a lore master of Hyboria.  If this was Star Wars game, I could understand, he can't shut up talking about Star Wars, even on official forums.  One would think that lore master would for such strong IP as Conan would actually be somebody with decent amount of experiance, but it looks like Eliot started reading Conan materials only after he got the job to work on the game - I guess that's why we have freaking fireballs in the game.  Eliot, get fired or get your shit together.
    Maybe he has decent amount of experience in being methodical, structured and have attention to detail and consistency, instead of being a lore nerd who can't drag his head out of Hyboria even during family dinners.

And I kind'a doubt he'd be the one to decide on fireballs. But you of course know all this and more since you read the official forums and know who to fire if needed. :p