Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashen Empires still is a great game.

ShaeinShaein Member Posts: 2

Hello. I have played Ashen Empires.. Well.. For a quite long time. The first time I played it it was Dransik Beta. They had just started making the game isometric. Well, I was hooked pretty fast, although the game was nothing like it is today. I did play for a while, but I quit when they turned it to p2p. After a year or so they updated the game a little and made it free for a while. I played the time it was free. Then, when it was p2p again, I started paying and playing. It was really fun.. For a long time. I quit the game again when I got harassed by a player that was good friends with my friends. That was about the time when Demon Spire ( the biggest update since Dransik Classic turned into Dransik Beta! ) came out.

I just started playing Ashen Empires again a few months ago, and I have to say that despite the lag (that we sometimes have, _NOT_ all the time)the game is absolutely great. The community is something that no other mmorpg I have played has. For example the players on Legends server (the game has 2 servers, one where you can kill other players, and one where you can't, Legends is the one where you can't. ) help everyone that start playing the game. You never feel lonely in Ashen Empires unless you want to. It has so much to offer. Today, when you start playing Ashen Empires, you start at Valinor island. The level cap on Valinor island is 10, and skill level cap is 15. There are 2 bosses on Valinor. On Valinor, you don't have to pay anything to play the game. When you move on to Mainland, you don't have to start paying if you don't want to, but almost everyone who continue playing do. That is because on Mainland, if you don't pay, you have severe restrictions. Limited exp/day and no partying, etc. The fee isn't too much anyway. I don't think 8USD / month is too much ( 6€ ). Today you can play Dransik Classic too.

I have noticed a person called Kulta here in MMORPG.com (she plays WoW)telling other people that Ashen Empires is a bad game. To me, it looked like she just hates the game. Like she wanted to damage it somehow. She said that Iron will games is a greedy company. I disagree. I strongly think game developers do have to earn their living too. Why tell other people not to try it if she doesnt like it? I like it and so do many others. I played WoW for a year and I had to quit for it was not fun anymore. I didn't really want to spend all day looking for a group, going into an instance, dying a few times, and spending 5 hours to complete the instance.

Try Ashen Empires, if you don't like it, then it's not for you. Create an account for Ashen Empires or Dransik

I apologize, for my English isn't the most fluent.

-Shaein

EDIT

Lol. I just realized what my post looks like. It looks like I was working for IWG and advertising AE :D. Oh well.. Oh, and for Kulta: AE became cheaper now, because it has the token system. Now AE subscription is cheaper again.

Comments

• ThetyrantThetyrant Member UncommonPosts: 18

Very well put Shaein.

I think AE is like any other MMO in the terms in that it is ever-changing.

Thats one of the gripes I always see on message boards, its not like the old days. But look back at any other MMO, its not like the old days. Think of a MMO as a organism, and it evolves.

After reading your post about valinor, I think i need to start a new character and revisit Valinor.

Cheers

Thetyrant
    Iron Will Games Developer
    www.ashenempires.com
    www.dransik.com

• MorganfeyMorganfey Member Posts: 2

You can't stay away from it.  You can try, but you'll be back.   Eventually  it  will  be free to play (the price was  recently was reduced from $8.95/mo to about $6.00 USD)  but until then, it offers a micro-payment system which allows you to pay only when you play.  It has a very involved crafting system, a choice of non and pvp servers, devs who correspond with their players and  its community roxors. 

• Snakester95Snakester95 Member UncommonPosts: 47

I myself played when it was free and when Ashen Empires was called Dransik instead. And when the owner was different. Once it was pay to play, I ended up stopping. But I always got the urge to play, so I ended up paying for a little. And now I'm getting the urge to again, and I just may end up paying. The only annoying part is, now there are several expansions, so now you could miss out on a bunch of junk. Problem is, if you plan to pay for a month or three. But you want to do the things with the expansion packs, unfortunately you'd pay $20 on an expansion and then in the month or so, you'd realize you wasted the expansion pretty much.

Well anyway, Ashen Empires is a good game. Good community as said. Don't find too many idiots around, well I don't anyway. Last time I checked, they had a good moderation team going around under a certain name. Good gameplay. Several monsters, several things to do, several quests, always something to do.

Ashen Empires overall is great. Coming from another person, try it out if you haven't already.

So you people know, you may see me in game as Jethro/Snakester/Snakesta. '

Where there's a game, there's a player, I'm that player.

• MazeroMazero Member Posts: 2

I like Ashen Empire too. It has a really nice community, good crafting system and a quite an atmospheric world. I stopped playing because it lags all the time for me (from almost bearable to unplayable).

I have 24mbit down and 3mbit up so there's not a problem with my connection. Maybe the combination of living in Europe and bad servers isn't that good.

I would love to return when they fix their servers. And I really hope they change their mind about this free-to-play crap, it'll just attract a lot of ungrateful snots who only play because it's free.

• Duplicity1Duplicity1 Member Posts: 7

Have any of you played runescape?  If so, how similar is this game?  I used to play Runescape and liked it a whole lot....until the updates...so I am in search of a game thats as similar as possible to RS before the updates announced on Dec 10th.

TIA for any help or advice.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

omgz it's Morgy!, this is Puppeh! arf arf zap -dead- lol

• teromousteromous Member Posts: 13

I used to play Dransik before AE was around.  After I left the game I returned when I saw that the game had expanded into what is now AE.  I used to be a subscriber, but eventually I left the game.  Last week when I found out about the new expansion with ships, I figured I'd log in and walk around, and experience the game a bit before deciding whether I'd re-subscribe.

I logged in and wanted to do a little crafting.  I always liked the game's crafting system.  I soon realized that I couldn't craft because I wasn't a subscriber.  That isn't a real big deal.  I decided to do a little planting to see if I could remember how it worked.  It was cool to get back into the swing of things; planting gave me a chance to remember how to cast spells so I could go out and kill some stuff without getting destroyed.  I noticed that I only got 50% of the experience because I wasn't a subscriber.  Ok, that's pretty annoying but it's not a big deal.  I was deciding whether or not to play the game, so if I did decide to return, I would be subscribing anyway. 

After figuring out how to cast again, I headed out to kill some stuff.  It was a little annoying because there were some lag issues, but the combat routine was pretty easy to remember.  Unfortunately I ended up getting swarmed by a group of monsters and died.  I was lucky because I ran to a location where I could easily retrieve my items after getting killed.  After coming back to life, I went to my tomb stone to collect my items when I was given a message stating that non-subscribers can't pick up items from the ground.  That pretty much made up my mind about the game.  Not only does it lure you into the false pretense that it is free, but they make it glaringly obvious that they are out for money.

I am certain that I could very easily subscribe to the game, and outfit my character again (my items weren't all that good).  What I can't ignore, is the fact that they try and nickle and dime you, and put up a "free game" facade.  I noticed in the shop, that they were selling tickets to enter dungeons.  That is ridiculous.  While I would like to return to the game and play it in it's entirety, for a single price, I will not be forced to shell out money for tickets like an amusement park ride.

I really hope that the people who still play this game can continue to enjoy it.  Do not take my words as "bashing" the game.  I just want the OP to understand why people (like myself) are angry or annoyed at the game and the company that runs it.

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by teromous

I used to play Dransik before AE was around.  After I left the game I returned when I saw that the game had expanded into what is now AE.  I used to be a subscriber, but eventually I left the game.  Last week when I found out about the new expansion with ships, I figured I'd log in and walk around, and experience the game a bit before deciding whether I'd re-subscribe.
    I logged in and wanted to do a little crafting.  I always liked the game's crafting system.  I soon realized that I couldn't craft because I wasn't a subscriber.  That isn't a real big deal.  I decided to do a little planting to see if I could remember how it worked.  It was cool to get back into the swing of things; planting gave me a chance to remember how to cast spells so I could go out and kill some stuff without getting destroyed.  I noticed that I only got 50% of the experience because I wasn't a subscriber.  Ok, that's pretty annoying but it's not a big deal.  I was deciding whether or not to play the game, so if I did decide to return, I would be subscribing anyway. 
    After figuring out how to cast again, I headed out to kill some stuff.  It was a little annoying because there were some lag issues, but the combat routine was pretty easy to remember.  Unfortunately I ended up getting swarmed by a group of monsters and died.  I was lucky because I ran to a location where I could easily retrieve my items after getting killed.  After coming back to life, I went to my tomb stone to collect my items when I was given a message stating that non-subscribers can't pick up items from the ground.  That pretty much made up my mind about the game.  Not only does it lure you into the false pretense that it is free, but they make it glaringly obvious that they are out for money.
    I am certain that I could very easily subscribe to the game, and outfit my character again (my items weren't all that good).  What I can't ignore, is the fact that they try and nickle and dime you, and put up a "free game" facade.  I noticed in the shop, that they were selling tickets to enter dungeons.  That is ridiculous.  While I would like to return to the game and play it in it's entirety, for a single price, I will not be forced to shell out money for tickets like an amusement park ride.
    I really hope that the people who still play this game can continue to enjoy it.  Do not take my words as "bashing" the game.  I just want the OP to understand why people (like myself) are angry or annoyed at the game and the company that runs it.

Don't worry about it the people that still play talk openly about the company in the chat, especially everyone on noobie island. The company was problably the biggest money grubbers I ever seen host a game. They took all the special classes/skins from Dransik (remember Pirate, Chef, Jester?) and actually put them in a package and tried to make people pay for them even though they gave no special bonuses (such as elves could see in the dark, ogres had a str bonus). Needless to say I doubt anybody fell for that scheme so the company pretty much starting taking everything away that was free or available to everyone and started selling them for extra in the shop.

Sad to see such a classic fun game fall into the hands of such disgusting people. Whoever had the game first should've kept it.

Speaking of whoever had it first. One of the original developers of Dransik was making his own game based off the original Dransik called "Elder Lands" I think. I don't know if the project is still going, but whoever wants to check it out can and then maybe post info on the forums for us all to see.

• drasilgamedrasilgame Member Posts: 58

My IP on this ISP is forever banned there (since 2ish years now) because I told them to shove their tokens up their butt

Originally posted by drasilgame

My IP on this ISP is forever banned there (since 2ish years now) because I told them to shove their tokens up their butt

Man that sucks. I remember playing awhile back and I used to talk crap along with a bunch of others. Maybe its because you came at them directly other than that I don't know why you got banned.

• njacksondnjacksond Member Posts: 29

Yes, indeed the original developer is making a game somewhat based on Dransik Classic

http://www.elderlands.com It hasn't officially released yet but it's almost nearing the end of testing phase. yippie!!!!

Originally posted by njacksond

Yes, indeed the original developer is making a game somewhat based on Dransik Classic

http://www.elderlands.com It hasn't officially released yet but it's almost nearing the end of testing phase. yippie!!!!

Yeah I hope it launches soon. I tried getting an account early 2008, but they weren't accepting applications and the servers were always down.

Would be nice to see a revival of the 2D third person MMORPG.

• DraktheasDraktheas Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    edited June 2020
    Indeed it is.. they are also working on updates and trying to get it on steam..  the questlog was just released a few weeks ago. happy to see it being worked on again!   also most of the new info can be found on there discord page. https://discord.gg/D4YR6e