Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is it compared to other "FPS" MMOs

AbyeAbye Member Posts: 53

Specifically Planetside and Neocron and maybe the old SWG at release (The lockon feature seems like that).

Auto Assault was also action heavy but lacked fun content.

Most people that call TR "something new" have been brainwashed by WoW and don't know any titles to really compare it to, i'd like to hear opilions from people that actually DO have some comparison.

Comments

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

The only piece of comparison I can give is that when I played Neocron in its 2.1 release, it was by far the buggiest game I have played to date.  It had a sound concept, and the lore did seem somewhat interesting, though it lacked any real sense of polish.  There seemed to be no real AI for the enemies as well, basically standing in the same spots and very predictable.  If there was any depth to Neocron for me, it was very unplayable.

Things I like about TR versus Neocron would be, the UI is much better even if its not movable.  The AI is much more random in terms "pops". Also the graphics are far superior as well, but to be expected from a game released now versus years ago.

I have not played Planetside, but from another on these boards suggested trying that as well.  Alot of its going to be based off your personal preferences and how you go into the game.  If you used to a traditional MMORPG ride and would expect such from TR, you would be dissapointed.  TR focuses a lot on the FPS portion, and integrates the RPG part through missions and character progression. 

I'll also add that Tabula Rasa doesn't feel like a job to me like many MMO's before it.  For the first time in a long time I am having fun again, and enjoying my time the moment I log on.  I will say though, it may be basic in comparison to other games, if basic is what it takes to bring fun back into the MMO genre I will accept it with arms wide open.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Abye

Specifically Planetside and Neocron and maybe the old SWG at release (The lockon feature seems like that).
    Most people that call TR "something new" have been brainwashed by WoW and don't know any titles to really compare it to, i'd like to hear opilions from people that actually DO have some comparison.
    i described the way it works in some detail in my post here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/153391

The shorter version is that compared to planetside it's a lot LESS FPS.  It's really an MMO that has guns.  That being said, the way guns work is different from any other MMO and has some similarities to an FPS, btu these are only in "management" (of ammo / weapons / enemies) as opposed to gameplay ( targeting / running).  See my linked post for a more detailed description of how it's set up.

Feel free to post any more specific questions.  I played planetside and can probably answer.  (I found planetside fun but too twitchy for my test and lacking PvE content).  TR is very different.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• vizaviza Member Posts: 204

TR's not an fps.

It's not an fps mmo either.

-Viz

• HoldMeHoldMe Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by viza

TR's not an fps.

It's not an fps mmo either.

-Viz

Like he said.  Not sure how the comparisons to Planetside came about but TR is no way shape or form similar to PS.  Planetside was designed to be a MMO first person shooter and thats exactly what it is.  Only other game on the market like it is WW2 online.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

TabulaRasa is more close to Neocron than any other MMORPG, even the Endgame will be probably similar. The big difference is for sure much better pve adventures than in neocron, more intelligence AI is what makes TR subperb. Neocron on the other hand has some content what i miss in TR, i.e. player houses/flats, stock market/ingame player auction house and real first person FPS feeling, vehicles aswell factions.

The Endgame looks quiete similar in both games, wheras Neocron has much more open pvp options than TabulaRasa. In Neocron u have the Chip, when you take it out you are flagged for pvp in TabulaRasa only Guild Pvp is possible which limits the pvp freedom quiete a bit. The pve aspect is the huge part in TabulaRase and offers excellent content but people still have questions what to do in TabulaRasa when you finished all your Missions. TabulaRasa isnt really an mmofps since u cant play in first person view, its a mix from mmorpg & mmofps but concentrated more on pve than pvp and due to the lack of any personal shop or ingame auction house it has a limited economic system, at least trade chat is implemented.

I would say TabulaRasa offers really very nice fast pve action, but it is not a game to rush to achieve fast the highest lvl, its more a game to enjoy the graphics and pve content - players who will rush through dungeons and the whole game will be probably disappointed at the end or burned out quiete fast.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

I don't know if I qualify as "most people" in your book (I'm certainly one of the more common posters around here), but I wrote up a pretty objective review that proves out that there really is "something new" in Tabula Rasa.  Your milage may vary - it takes a fine eye of somebody who has played a lot of other titles to see it.

In comparison with other "FPS" MMOs, well...

• Neocron, based on the Quake engine, never did gain a lot of popularity.  I liked the game, they did some pretty innovative things in it, but it has next to nothing to do with Tabula Rasa.  Combat resolution is similar in that you'll pretty much always hit but how much damage you do is based on RPG stuff, but it's not nearly as crippled by level restrictions as it was in Neocron.  No inflicting 1 point of damage because you've a few levels gap between you and the enemy.  In fact, you can contribute pretty meaningfully to higher level engagement as a newbie, as is evident by my interactions defending and assaulting the Landing Zone in Tabula Rasa.  Also, cover works in TR.
    • Planetside's hit resolution is much more like a first person shooter.  Tabula Rasa's is closer to Neocron in that it's a MMORPG with a FPS interface.  I hestitate to say that the action is more intense in Planetside - it can get pretty intense and at the same time strategic in Tabula Rasa - but Planetside is more like a Massively Multiplayer Tribes while  Tabula Rasa is more MMORPG-y.
    • Endless Ages... okay, comparing anything to Endless Ages isn't fair, the game is ever a garage endeavor of flourescent putrescence.  Better than I could make, sure, but it's night and day compared to a professionally assembled game like Tabula Rasa.
    • Face of Mankind also feels like a Garage Game, and it has a much smaller scope than Tabula Rasa.  Most of what goes on in FoM is faction interplay. Much like with Planetside and Endless Ages, I'm going to say that it has little to do with TR.

Overall, I'm going to have to say that (so long as you're limiting yourself to understand Tabula Rasa by comparing it to other game) Tabula Rasa most closely resembles Neocron except Tabula Rasa is a lot more advanced in many ways.  For example, the interplay of the friendly NPCs make it feel much more like you're involved in warzones.

• ThompsonSubThompsonSub Member UncommonPosts: 147

Tabula Rasa is a lot like Auto Assault without the cars.

Neocron is 10,000X deeper and you actually have to aim to hit your target.

Planetside has real PvP action that fits the game with real FPS control.

Tabula Rasa is just a linear shooter like a console game, the quests are fedex type collect this or that and it has static instanced dungeons that can be soloed if you are a couple levels above the dungeon.

It's autoaim, there is no real aiming and the view is 3rd person only in Tabula Rasa so it's not a true FPS in any sense of the term.

The story is about aliens attacking earth but the endgame is clan vs clan human only PvP that doesn't really fit in with the story content.

If you feel like tossing $50 give it a try, but if you are expecting real FPS type combat you will be a bit disappointed.

• EryemilEryemil Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by ThompsonSub
    (...)

Do you realise that all of the posts in your history are centered around these boards and specifically on bashing this game? Sixty six posts.

Anybody who thinks Neocron is 10,000X deeper than Tabula Rasa's combat, or that it's as limited as Auto Assault, has apparently missed the point.  I advise you go back and play the game again and this time try to pay attention.

However, aside from that, the remaining observations are close enough to being fair.

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Anybody who thinks Neocron is 10,000X deeper than Tabula Rasa's combat, or that it's as limited as Auto Assault, has apparently missed the point.  I advise you go back and play the game again and this time try to pay attention.
    However, aside from that, the remaining observations are close enough to being fair.

Neocron has an indepth story.

Neocron has sophisticated interaction within the factions making the player feel like they are part of the Neocron world.

Neocron has an enjoyable crafting system.

Neocron has a combat system where you actually have to aim.

Neocron is a sandbox where the player can do a multitude of things.

Don't take cheap shots just because you cannot justify using words like "depth" to describe Tabula Rasa.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Neocron has an indepth story.

Neocron has sophisticated interaction within the factions making the player feel like they are part of the Neocron world.

Neocron has an enjoyable crafting system.

Neocron has a combat system where you actually have to aim.

Neocron is a sandbox where the player can do a multitude of things.

Don't take cheap shots just because you cannot justify using words like "depth" to describe Tabula Rasa.

Neocron was pretty fun, albeit a really lousy launch (talking about Neo 1, not 2), but you could fit NEO's entire playerbase into a couple instances of TR's first zone. Even Neo 2 is a ghost town, or at least was as of a month ago.

Shame really, it just wasn't marketed enough, Hopefully they correct that which I thin kthey might.

Meanwhile, having played both, I find TR to be leaps and bounds ahead oif NEO is almost every category.

I find it amusing how you attack everyone here that likes the game (a game you aren't playing at that!), and you can wrap your little head around that, but anyone who disagrees with you (without any personal remarks to you at all) is taking "pop shots" or "cheap shots".

lol

It really it comical. Keep at it, will ya? Thanks!

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Eryemil

(...)

Do you realise that all of the posts in your history are centered around these boards and specifically on bashing this game? Sixty six posts.

He does realize it, as does everyone else :)

I was under the opinion that ThompsonSub was referring to the combat, and not all this other stuff, but I'll happilly address those as well.

"Neocron has an in depth story."

First, this is a matter of opinion.  Second, most agree, so does Tabula Rasa.

"Neocron has sophisticated interaction with the factions making the player feel like they are a part of the Neocron world."

Tabula Rasa has sophisticated interaction with the Bane, AFS, and alien races making them feel like they are a part of the Tabula Rasa world.

"Neocron has an enjoyable crafting system."

First, this is a matter of opinion.   Second, I remember the crafting system enough to know it's really no more advanced than Tabula Rasa's (and Tabula Rasa's is incomplete).

"Neocron has a combat system where you actually have to aim."

Have you even played this game?  Neocron's combat system is identical in terms of aiming and clicking to attack and having the RPG resolve what happens.  The only difference between Neocron and Tabula Rasa here is that you can use the Tab button to lock your target on Tabula Rasa.  Frankly, for all the difference this makes, that's a user friendliness feature that Neocron lacks.

"Neocron is a sandbox where the player can do a multitude of things."

Can you be any more vague?  I could say the same thing about any MMORPG out there, including Tabula Rasa.

"Don't take cheap shots just because you cannot justify using worlds like 'depth' to describe Tabula Rasa."

It's easy to act so confident when you're just deluding yourself.  Has it dawned on you yet that you're using the game mechanics of Neocron, a largely dead game to attack Tabula Rasa as being inferior to it?  Yeah, lets all be like Neocron, the game barely anybody plays.

Man, no wonder you have a hard time with this guy, Mith.  He's thick as a brick in his fanatical conviction that Tabula Rasa is yet another DOA MMORPG.  We should just write him off as a lost cause.  It's particularly priceless how, in the last post, he says if you were gone that there'd be nobody left to talk well of Tabula Rasa.  Hello, reality calling on line 3 for ThompsonSub, "Your opinion is in the Minority.  Also, Crack is bad for you."

I was under the opinion that ThompsonSub was referring to the combat, and not all this other stuff, but I'll happilly address those as well.
    "Neocron has an in depth story."
    First, this is a matter of opinion. Second, most agree, so does Tabula Rasa.

That's hilarious.

Neocron has a deep story of post apocalyptic humanity.

Tabula Rasa has a childish story that has no depth whatsoever and is so full of plot holes it's laughable.

Even the endgame is an example of how dumb the story is.

The story is about aliens attacking and nearly destroying humanity and all they could come up with for the end game is human vs human clan PvP.

"Neocron has sophisticated interaction with the factions making the player feel like they are a part of the Neocron world."
    Tabula Rasa has sophisticated interaction with the Bane, AFS, and alien races making them feel like they are a part of the Tabula Rasa world.

That's funny, I felt like I was doing fedex quests in a generic single player console game.

On the other hand I found the faction interplay in Neocron to drive much of the player interaction.

When it was alive Neocron had players that felt passion for the game, I think there are two of you here that show similar passion for Tabula Rasa.

Neocron died because of 10T/KK/Reaktor not being able to fix the game or hiring someone who could and implementing a horrific payment system.

Neocron has survived far longer than Tabula Rasa will because it is a unique and interesting game.

"Neocron has an enjoyable crafting system."
    First, this is a matter of opinion. Second, I remember the crafting system enough to know it's really no more advanced than Tabula Rasa's (and Tabula Rasa's is incomplete).

That's ridiculous.

In Neocron the crafting system runs all the way down to basic components and involves characters for salvage/recycling research/blueprinting and then a constructor to actually build the item.
    The crafting system allows modification of all weapons, with high slotted items putting the crafter's name on the weapon/item so that other players know who made it.

In Tabula Rasa you can make paint and a few other items like bullets and grenades and you can modify some weapons to a very limited degree.
    Salvage consists of being able to reclaim modifications at the expense of destroying a weapon/item.

There is absolutely no comparison, Tabula Rasa's crafting system is weak and, as you say, incomplete.

"Neocron has a combat system where you actually have to aim."
    Have you even played this game? Neocron's combat system is identical in terms of aiming and clicking to attack and having the RPG resolve what happens. The only difference between Neocron and Tabula Rasa here is that you can use the Tab button to lock your target on Tabula Rasa. Frankly, for all the difference this makes, that's a user friendliness feature that Neocron lacks.

It's pretty obvious you never played Neocron.

The combat in neocron requires aiming, it has a reticle system that closes when you are on target and if you move off target the reticle blooms and you lose aim.
    You can shift target by shifting aim point, there is no target lock other than the reticle closure and bloom.
    The combat in Tabula Rasa does not require aiming once a target is locked you can stand sideways to it and still shoot it.

Has it dawned on you yet that you're using the game mechanics of Neocron, a largely dead game to attack Tabula Rasa as being inferior to it?

You exemplify my point perfectly.
    Neocron is deader than a doornail, no doubt about it.
    It's still a far deeper and better game than Tabula Rasa will ever be.

"Neocron has a deep story of post apocalyptic humanity.  Tabula Rasa has a childish story that has no depth whatsoever and is so full of plot holes it's laughable."

You honestly think that this is going to be a universal?  I think that Anne Rice and Robert Jordan books are trash, but they still sell.  I respect that - clearly some people find those stories significant and who am I to judge?  You, on the other hand, find different opinions "hilarious."  That's so ignorant it's pity-worthy.

"Neocron has survived far longer than Tabula Rasa will because it is a unique and interesting game."

No.  Neocron has survived far longer than Tabula Rasa because:

1. It runs on a shoe-string budget that allowed it to stay afloat when there were only a few hundred subscribed players at a time.
    2. Tabula Rasa was just released 3 days ago.

Once again, you demonstrate you really have no idea how to comprehend reality.

You know what?  Forget it, I'm passing on dealing with you for the rest of this post.  If this is how your logic works, it's an absolute waste of my time.  If I see you trash talking Tabula Rasa again, I'll just post a link to your last post so people know who they're dealing with.