Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Launch Moved: A Talk With Mark Jacobs

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Today was a day of announcements for Electronic Arts, the game publishing giant that is currently developing Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning at the EA Mythic studios. First, it was announced that the company would be going through re-structuring that would put some jobs and studios at risk. Later, during their earnings call, it was announced that EA Mythic and Warhammer Online would be safe from such changes, and that the release date for the game would be pushed back from Q1 2008 to Q2 2008 to allow for more development and "polish" time.

November the 1st was a big day for EA, the colossal game publisher that currently impacts our little niche of the video game market in EA Mythic (Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online) and now with Bioware (their mysterious MMO). As you may or may not be aware, EA held their earnings call today at 5pm EST. Earnings calls are held by publicly traded companies to talk about the company’s earnings, the direction of the company and similar information. It was during this call that a push-back of Warhammer Online’s expected launch date from Q1 of 2008 to Q2 of 2008 was announced and discussed.

Earlier in the day, EA announced that they would be undertaking a re-structuring plan that would see what CEO John Riccitiello described as, “head-count reductions and facility closures”. Roughly translated, this means that EA will be closing some of their studios and laying off some of their employees.

“This was a difficult decision,” he continued in the call, “because it impacts the careers of some very talented people.”

While this may have piqued the interest and curiosity of many in the industry including the folks at EA Mythic, later on in the call, when he was addressing the subject of Warhammer Online, Riccitiello went out of his way to assuage any fears that Mythic may have had on the subject, and to shed some light on the situation:

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

D A M N   I T ! ! !

Anyways keep up the good work!!

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

I hope the delays are worth it :D

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

They pushed it back a quarter but still didn't give an actual date? I saw this coming (with beta shutting down for 2 months, who didn't,) and I see another delay after that. Well, unless they announce an official date in the next few months.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Pushing it back also means they dont have to go up against the WoW expansion. and AoC.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I personally would like to see the MMO trend become:

"push it back for more content and polish"

The current ship it as is.. method sucks.

Of course.. this assumes that when they (well any mmo) goes like.. that they actually did anything they claimed they would.

However, I just like the idea in principle and AoC did the same thing.  To many games were launching before they should have.

• MantelarMantelar Member Posts: 5

Well, I am dedicated Warhammer fan, playing Warhammer RPG for some years and trying  the tabletop game. So when I heard the news about Warhammer MMORPG, I jubilated. Enlisted for Beta, of course.

I began to loose my belief in all the project hearing more and more reports "how cool it will be" with nothing real to grasp. Last nail to the coffin for me was the announcement about server closing. Yes, I read an official statement //whole affair apparently serious, no more childish jokes there//  but it did not explain weak points for me. Two month pause for implementing slight changes gained from players feedback? Two months, that's lot of time and lots of work, especially with the team like Mythic. So - are the changes (and corresponding  game mechanics malfunction) really so slight? Or are they big, touching some of the core mechanics and the Mythic just not telling the truth to us?

And two months for implementing the Elven Realms? Absurd argument. Look at EVE Online and their patching time when implementing new contents.

My suspection deepened with the EA announcement about buying Bioware, mainly with regard to their developing MMO. What does EA, owning Mythic and thus Warhammer IP, need another great MMO for? Maybe beacause Warhammer is not prepared and in dubious state...

Today is known that planned launch term is moved and Mark Jacobs conceded "some parts of RvR need to be re-worked". RvR is surely make-or-break of this game, the thing distinguishing WAR from countless other hack-and-slash MMORPG. So the malfunction really refer to a substantial part of game mechanics.

And today, my belief for WAR is totally lost. Not because of the game itself but because of Mythic. They apparently lie. And worse, they apparently lie unbelievable way. I disliked it. So I'm returning to CoV and looking for a Bioware MMO. No more interest about WAR from me. Wait for this game, if you like, I am leaving.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

With all the news about EAMythic going through a massive overhaul as a company, this was to be expected.

• CnOathCnOath Member UncommonPosts: 33

I really  want this game to be great and I'm happy to wait for it to become one before it is released.

If it comes out flawed in a fundamental way in terms of mechanics it will never have a chance.

I'm glad they are putting the quaility of the game over the quick buck.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

UO looks like a goner

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It is indeed an odd coincidence that WAR is pushed back quite a bit at the same time EA as bought Bioware. Leaves us to wonder. And about this server takeoff due to player feedback... makes me really think if the changes arent deeper than they tell us. Oh well... we will see.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CendhariaCendharia Member UncommonPosts: 319

I really think that this company is doing things the right way around, unlike some others that rushed their product out, only to fail miserably.

I am sure" that" event was duly  noted by all develloppers that were currently working on their forthcoming games, ...that and the aftermath/anger of the gaming public when it happened.  

Smart move on EA/Mythic's part.    Those predicting doom and gloom ...basically are assuming a whole lot at this point from what I can tell.    Let them make the game the way they think it should be, and we'll be the judges of that ..once release comes or we all get into that danged beta!  hehe :P

Cend

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

This is VERY good IMO, Mythic relise that a half finished game gets realised JUST to make a deadline, like WITH EVERY GAME over the past few years, doesn't cut it with us players.. With Funcom opting the same idea expect another delay from AoC as well TBH..

Theres enough to do out there I don't mind waiting on either

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• knives22knives22 Member Posts: 375

Lulz MMOs

• Thecrow12345Thecrow12345 Member Posts: 41

Good to know they had a game ready to ship but realized that if they improved quality and added features it would be all the better.  Plus the game is listed as a top performer for EA next year, good sign that it will release!  I cannot wait for WAR!

Currently Playing: Nothing (waitinf for WAR)
    Retired: AC2, EVE, DAoC, EQ, WoW

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Can anyone give me some insight as to what you think its wrong with their RvR system that they need to polish or change it? They already have Daoc for their RvR reference, so this really makes me quite skeptical about what they said..

RIP Orc Choppa

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by arctarus
    Can anyone give me some insight as to what you think its wrong with their RvR system that they need to polish or change it? They already have Daoc for their RvR reference, so this really makes me quite skeptical about what they said..

DAoC is outdated.

Besides, Warhammer is a big IP, and is sure to attract some attention.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

i respect the fact that they are willing to hold off on short-term profitability to enhance and improve the long-term quality of this game franchise. i think that when a game is delayed isn't a deathknell of a game, but for the most part it is a sign that the developers truly have listened to the feedback players have given and are willing to change and enhance certain aspects of the game. I like this, i feel more games when developed should take the time to improve the game as a whole. its a  noble trait lot of developers have lost. this is i feel a good sign.  we wil see come decemeber.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Must have been interesting talking to Mark Jacobs.  The man can tell a lie so easily like it was second nature.

EA big mistake was not replacing him immediately, the man knows less about how to make a successful MMO than most of his counterparts in the industry.    Hopefully the team behind him has more competent people so this game succeeds.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by kishe

With all the news about EAMythic going through a massive overhaul as a company, this was to be expected.

Did you read that Mythic was NOT being touched as part of EA's "cleaning house?"

Do you read that EA CEO made special reference to Mythic to dispel rumors about any major overhaul to the company?

Or read the newsletter saying exactly the same thing?

I'm happy Mythic is pushing to release a finished, polished, and amazing game.

Sounds like EA knows they have a winner and are doing whatever they can to help Mythic create even more of a winning product.

I'm just not happy because it means I have to wait even longer to play!

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Originally posted by Mantelar

Well, I am dedicated Warhammer fan, playing Warhammer RPG for some years and trying  the tabletop game. So when I heard the news about Warhammer MMORPG, I jubilated. Enlisted for Beta, of course.
    I began to loose my belief in all the project hearing more and more reports "how cool it will be" with nothing real to grasp. Last nail to the coffin for me was the announcement about server closing. Yes, I read an official statement //whole affair apparently serious, no more childish jokes there//  but it did not explain weak points for me. Two month pause for implementing slight changes gained from players feedback? Two months, that's lot of time and lots of work, especially with the team like Mythic. So - are the changes (and corresponding  game mechanics malfunction) really so slight? Or are they big, touching some of the core mechanics and the Mythic just not telling the truth to us?
    If you know anything about programming you know that what may feel and look like slight changes externally (on the user's side) can be a rather huge change internally.   Programming isn't just plug and go.    We have no idea why they would need to take down the beta servers, but as a programmer I suspect its so they can impliment the changes and get NEW feedback instead of the repeated screams of viciousness.     Their style of beta testing is unconventional but definitly not unheard of. 
    And two months for implementing the Elven Realms? Absurd argument. Look at EVE Online and their patching time when implementing new contents.
    Eve Online is an established game with only ships and giant vasts of space to worry about instead of actual land, npc's, mounts, transportation issues etc etc.    Its much easier to get new content in to an established finished game since most of it (unless its huge mechanic changes like they do with WoW) is scripted in.   If you've been following Warhammer Online for a while then you know that 2 to 3 months is the usual time once they start revealing the racial classes & zones.  Adding in a new area IS actually a huge content and programming / scripting update.
    My suspection deepened with the EA announcement about buying Bioware, mainly with regard to their developing MMO. What does EA, owning Mythic and thus Warhammer IP, need another great MMO for? Maybe beacause Warhammer is not prepared and in dubious state...
    Because EA wants to create a big MMO division like SOE has it requires more than one house of programmers.  Plus their RPG division in games has always been incredibly lack luster now with Bioware on hand they'll have single player RPG's and a new MMO.    Its really just smart business.
    Today is known that planned launch term is moved and Mark Jacobs conceded "some parts of RvR need to be re-worked". RvR is surely make-or-break of this game, the thing distinguishing WAR from countless other hack-and-slash MMORPG. So the malfunction really refer to a substantial part of game mechanics.
    Its not a malfunction to rework something.   Sometimes when you design something and the programmers put it all together the outcome isn't always what you expected.    Thats why you rework.  
    And today, my belief for WAR is totally lost. Not because of the game itself but because of Mythic. They apparently lie. And worse, they apparently lie unbelievable way. I disliked it. So I'm returning to CoV and looking for a Bioware MMO. No more interest about WAR from me. Wait for this game, if you like, I am leaving.
     Mythic's development time with this game thus far has been shorter than most.   I for one am glad they're addressing issues they know are there from feedback now instead of after launch like so many other games do.   Super Group fantastic system of EQ2 ring a bell?  Completely gone now but it was a tad late, if the game had started out with the play mechanics its got now it'd of been better earlier on.

Personally the push back just makes me clamour more because thats ... that many more chances I could get into beta!   I still look forward to Warhammer and as a programmer I can understand the want for the product your making to come out the way you wanted right at the gate.  Its always disheartening if you have to push something your not happy with out because someone forces your hand.

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• s1mons1mon Member Posts: 13

Not that unexpected really. A game of this caliber is bound to be a little late. :P

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by cupertino

Pushing it back also means they dont have to go up against the WoW expansion. and AoC.

They avoid Age of Conan, as long as Funcom stay on their schedule, but has there been any announcement about when Wrath of the Lich King will be released? I haven't seen any.

And best of luck to the Mythic guys. I hope you get a kick-ass game out of this in the time given. :)

• Riot55Riot55 Member UncommonPosts: 49

While I'm all for releasing polished products, I'm very disheartened because this game set to release about now, and then the developers PROMISED to get it out by early 08'.  I would rather play through a slightly less polished game and have changes implemented slowly that way I can get my character started.  I just hope I get into Beta soon.... =/

• ZoomzooZoomzoo Member Posts: 82

Typical Mythic doublespeak. 

1)  We are not meeting our internal deadlines.  It is not because of lack of staff.  It's because... because... Well, frankly we don't know why we're not meeting our internal deadlines - and that is a good thing.

2)  Our beta testers discovered all sorts of problems, issues and great new ideas - none of which were anticipated and in order to correct the game this means we will have to push back the release date - and that is a good thing.

Anyone else see a management issue here?  Get rid of Marc Jacobs now and this game has a chance.

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by cupertino

AoC maybe. I doubt it as both games are targeting different audiences. WoW i am highly doubtful about. The "average" expansion time after announcement is 1 year, give or take. This means that WotLK may not be out until at least september of '08. And I doubt that it will come out by then since it took them 1 1/2 years to get TBC out and that didn't even have half of the content that WotLK is to have such as a new hero class, siege warfare, and other items. I forsee a Q1 '09 release for WotLK at least.