Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware's new MMO --- Mass Effect Online

VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

Everyone seems to think it's KOTOR online.  Well, this is just my opinion, but it would be silly to make ANOTHER Star Wars game, much less another MMO based on it, regardless of timeline.

I'm halfway through the Mass Effect book, and I can already see how this game could EASILY fit the MMO build.  Tons of different races, combat tactics already showing it's colors, a huge universe to explore, etc.

After reading some of the reviews of Mass Effect, and the reviewers comparing, and sometimesclaiming to surpass the Star Wars story, makes it even more likely that they would develop an MMO based on it. 

And to top it all off, I found this quote:

"We aren't commenting on the MMO and what it may or may not be yet. Could it be Mass Effect? Maybe. Could it be about 10 bajillion other things instead? Maybe." 

Chris Priestly, Community Coordinator, Bioware.

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

My original thought was mass effect was going to be an mmo, but i assume because of the xbox nonsense it got dumbed down to a single player game spanned over 3 titles. I would like to see a great scifi mmo, and i would like KOTOR, but If it was mass effect i would buy it all the same.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

My original thought was mass effect was going to be an mmo, but i assume because of the xbox nonsense it got dumbed down to a single player game spanned over 3 titles. I would like to see a great scifi mmo, and i would like KOTOR, but If it was mass effect i would buy it all the same.

That's actually another point.  Mass Effect was originally planned to have multiplayer content.  But they scrapped it.  Why?  Perhaps it was to build on the story more, and to make a better, more evenly distributed gaming experience.  And because they might have changed their mind, and didn't want a dumbed down MMO experience to ride alongside a nice singleplayer game, and to rather make it into a full-fledged MMO with all the bells and whistles.

• Exar_KunExar_Kun Member Posts: 242

Originally posted by Vhayne

Everyone seems to think it's KOTOR online.  Well, this is just my opinion, but it would be silly to make ANOTHER Star Wars game, much less another MMO based on it, regardless of timeline.
    I'm halfway through the Mass Effect book, and I can already see how this game could EASILY fit the MMO build.  Tons of different races, combat tactics already showing it's colors, a huge universe to explore, etc.
    After reading some of the reviews of Mass Effect, and the reviewers comparing, and sometimesclaiming to surpass the Star Wars story, makes it even more likely that they would develop an MMO based on it. 

"We aren't commenting on the MMO and what it may or may not be yet. Could it be Mass Effect? Maybe. Could it be about 10 bajillion other things instead? Maybe." 
    I wouldn't mind MASS EFFECT, however I think you need to ask yourself....why bring Lucas Arts in if the IP is already in house. I just don't think it's going to be MASS EFFECT. It's already been confirmed by an inside source that the MMORPG project is in fact KOTOR ONLINE.
  • AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

I also heard that Lucas Arts was involved... meaning some type of Star Wars game.

• HappyburpHappyburp Member UncommonPosts: 25

Or Howard the Duck MMO

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I guess Im missing the issue. Why is Bioware's plan for a  new MMO project so important?

Torrential

• vaizardvaizard Member Posts: 130

Because like Blizzard, Bioware has time and money to develop a MMORPG that is actually decent enough to warrant 15 dollars a month.

• aristoculousaristoculous Member Posts: 159

Kotor MMO here i come :D

http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

• aaddamaaddam Member Posts: 83

2 Problems with it being a mass effect mmorpg.

First there is a post somewhere ( i think its on the big bioware mmo post) that links to EA's IP list, on it it has mass effect as an IP owned by EA but the IP for the mmorpg is not owned by them.

Second, Why would you build and hype a new IP and not release it on the format you was going to eventually release a mmorpg version of it for, mass effect is 360 exclusive ( might change it did with jade empires) which to me is not right if you are pre planning to turn that IP into a mmorpg.

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

Originally posted by Happyburp

Or Howard the Duck MMO

Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long long time  If it is going to be Howard the Duck MMO, he better have his sexy friend with him

Anyways, I doubt it is going to be Mass Effects because Bioware wouldn't need Lucas Arts's help, just my 2pennies.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

How many times does it have to be posted before some of you realize that Bioware doesn't own the license to the MMO IP?

10, 20, 10,000? 

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

its a KOTOR MMO...nothing more to say....done

• miffywiffymiffywiffy Member Posts: 245

Mass Effect > Crappy Star Wars.

Originally posted by zanfire

its a KOTOR MMO...nothing more to say....done

It could be KOTOR 3 or it could be a original IP.

• SovielSoviel Member Posts: 35

its totally Sonic Adventure Battle Online.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

*sigh*  you people that name these threads are as bad as marketers.  i keep coming into these threads thinking there has actually been a press release stating it. 

stuff this...i'l wait for MMORPG to confirm it in their own way

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Originally posted by Happyburp

Or Howard the Duck MMO

Or THX1138 Online

• feldrinfeldrin Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by Czzarre

I guess Im missing the issue. Why is Bioware's plan for a  new MMO project so important?
    Torrential

Well since this stuff is posted on MMORPG.com, I guess most people here must like MMOs. If this were singleplayerRPG.com it would not be as important.

I don't claim to be right, I'm just posting.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

ask yourself why bring lucas arts into the loop two years before the release.  you need to plan for an IP before you even start designing the game, IP's are very fragile things especially something like starwars.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by Exar_Kun

I wouldn't mind MASS EFFECT, however I think you need to ask yourself....why bring Lucas Arts in if the IP is already in house. I just don't think it's going to be MASS EFFECT. It's already been confirmed by an inside source that the MMORPG project is in fact KOTOR ONLINE.

It's an extremely big assumption that the Lucasarts/Bioware deal has anything to do with their MMOG. Bioware could just be starting the early stages of KotOR 3, or a new series based on a Lucasarts License. Theres no evidence that the recent announcement has anything to do with an MMOG.

Then again, theres also strong rumor that the MMOG will be console only. And given the fact that Bioware basically ignores the PC audience wholely anymore, I'm not really keen on speculation. I'll just wait and see what they are doing and hope to the gods they don't forget about the people who put them where they are today, the PC gaming crowd.

Originally posted by Fion

Originally posted by Exar_Kun

It's an extremely big assumption that the Lucasarts/Bioware deal has anything to do with their MMOG. Bioware could just be starting the early stages of KotOR 3, or a new series based on a Lucasarts License. Theres no evidence that the recent announcement has anything to do with an MMOG.

Then again, theres also strong rumor that the MMOG will be console only. And given the fact that Bioware basically ignores the PC audience wholely anymore, I'm not really keen on speculation. I'll just wait and see what they are doing and hope to the gods they don't forget about the people who put them where they are today, the PC gaming crowd.

That's why im not excited about their upcoming games because they've bothed seemed to ditched the PC and the future title force unleshed isn't even coming to the PC and that makes me sad.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Yeah.... It's a star wars game.  There isn't one piece of evidence, there are a hundred pieces, all cemented together last week by the LA/Bioware joint project announcement.  Sure, Bioware could be working on anything... but not LucasArts .  ;)

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

Oh please no Mass Crapfect

I hope its for PC atleast.. not interested in consoles

This discussion has been closed.