Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

In Fairness this game is your standard mmorpg...

I see soo many people getting angry about people comparing this game to WOW and the way i see it, why shouldn't they? WOW was out a long time before this game when it's released and is the most popular mmorpg out there so obviously it's what it'll be compared to. Looking at the beta videos and all the info on sites about this game basic feedback and videos and previews have basically said it's your standard mmorpg and hasn't really changed anything...



RVR is just another name for Faction vs Faction and the Battlegrounds in this game do look like they play like WOW's BG's. The combat in this game is slow and looks boring like WOW and from what i've seen you click spells and have the same auto attack feature. Also the UI looks pretty similar with some changes but all the function is there and the same from previous mmorpgs. The quests from what i've seen have been also your basic kill 10 of these and come back, rinse and repeat with a few cool ones... like any other mmorpg. With graphics that look like WOW aswel ofcorse your going to egt people comparing them, i don't care who styled their franchise first this way, fact is WOW was out first and people will compare it to that.





I just don't see why all the hate on these boards because if you think it's not going to be anything like WOW then you'll be massively disappointed tbh. Warhammer Online is not going to break the mold and is not going to do anything new by the looks of it, just going to be your standard tried and tested style mmorpg.

«134

Comments

  • OyjordOyjord Riverside, CAPosts: 372Member Uncommon

    This is a boring, trite argument for the weak-minded.  In fact, it's a textbook "straw man" argument.

     

    NO ONE is arguing that WAR will be something new and revolutionary and the end-all of MMORPGs.  Some argue it's like WoW, some argue it isn't, but that's neither here nor there. 

     

    But all you wankers who keep criticizing WAR for being nothing new are only arguing with themselves, for the WAR fans could care less.  They're just looking for something fresh and fun, and WAR will most likely be that.

  • DuraheLLDuraheLL GPosts: 2,951Member

    I wonder how many kittens that are put into blenders each time a thread with "wow and War" is made...

    image
    $OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

  • mackdawg19mackdawg19 Shiloh, ILPosts: 864Member

    What the OP doesn't realize is WoW looks like every other game before its time. The only people who compare this game to WoW, are the same people started playing mmo's with WoW as there first. If not then they must not have any ounce of common sense. What you see in WAR battleground wise is a direct comparison of DaoC. A game that came about quite sometime before WoW. If you go and play DaoC till 50 then look at WAR, you will almost think your looking (or atleast reading) about the same game minus the graphics. Seriously, this crap about how this looks like this and that needs to stop. Who really cares? Peopel are going to play it regardless of what some mmorpg forum member states so stating it is a moot point. People should instead say this game looks like every other MMORPG because atleast that would make somewhat of sense. So start here, if you played WoW as your first MMORPG, then go play a preceding one. Then come ehre and talk about how it looks just like that game and not WoW and you will see how stupid this crap is getting. EVERY MMORPG PLAYS ABOUT THE SAME, and the ones that don't only get lost in the shuffle, so get over it.

  • zanfirezanfire chicopee, MAPosts: 799Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mackdawg19


    What the OP doesn't realize is WoW looks like every other game before its time. The only people who compare this game to WoW, are the same people started playing mmo's with WoW as there first. If not then they must not have any ounce of common sense. What you see in WAR battleground wise is a direct comparison of DaoC. A game that came about quite sometime before WoW. If you go and play DaoC till 50 then look at WAR, you will almost think your looking (or atleast reading) about the same game minus the graphics. Seriously, this crap about how this looks like this and that needs to stop. Who really cares? Peopel are going to play it regardless of what some mmorpg forum member states so stating it is a moot point. People should instead say this game looks like every other MMORPG because atleast that would make somewhat of sense. So start here, if you played WoW as your first MMORPG, then go play a preceding one. Then come ehre and talk about how it looks just like that game and not WoW and you will see how stupid this crap is getting. EVERY MMORPG PLAYS ABOUT THE SAME, and the ones that don't only get lost in the shuffle, so get over it.

    Amen brother...and OP shut the hell up and stop trolling...we dont need your newbie MMO WoW losers on these forums...go back to easy lvling and simple gameplay..when this game comes out and owns wow il just silently chuckle to myself.. "man that guy was such a joke"

  • oakaeoakae Airmont, NYPosts: 344Member

    There are too many of these posts, you aren't the first nor the last to post about these topics. Most of them can be found just by using the search function and typing the word WoW.

    Oh and there needs to be one stickied thread explaining everything.

  • A.BeefyA.Beefy Sidney, BCPosts: 39Member

    I bet it has all the aspects of WoW that made WoW good and they've changed the carp parts to be better ^.^

    Speculation isn't my name, but it IS my game!


    image
  • KOrnfan4evrKOrnfan4evr Manteca, CAPosts: 334Member
    Originally posted by miffywiffy


    I see soo many people getting angry about people comparing this game to WOW and the way i see it, why shouldn't they? WOW was out a long time before this game when it's released and is the most popular mmorpg out there so obviously it's what it'll be compared to. Looking at the beta videos and all the info on sites about this game basic feedback and videos and previews have basically said it's your standard mmorpg and hasn't really changed anything...



    RVR is just another name for Faction vs Faction and the Battlegrounds in this game do look like they play like WOW's BG's. The combat in this game is slow and looks boring like WOW and from what i've seen you click spells and have the same auto attack feature. Also the UI looks pretty similar with some changes but all the function is there and the same from previous mmorpgs. The quests from what i've seen have been also your basic kill 10 of these and come back, rinse and repeat with a few cool ones... like any other mmorpg. With graphics that look like WOW aswel ofcorse your going to egt people comparing them, i don't care who styled their franchise first this way, fact is WOW was out first and people will compare it to that.





    I just don't see why all the hate on these boards because if you think it's not going to be anything like WOW then you'll be massively disappointed tbh. Warhammer Online is not going to break the mold and is not going to do anything new by the looks of it, just going to be your standard tried and tested style mmorpg.

    well in all fairness thsi game actaully will be like DAOC.  DAOC>WOW>Warhammer.  Even 9dragons and so many more games (Like sun to be released) are all copy cats of the same idea, DAOC.   They're all the same cookie cutter, your western ASIAN cookie cutter if you will.  Get over it peeps places go with what works, and your buying into it all.  (those of you who are actaully going from one of these to the other that is :-P)

  • JavairaJavaira BrisbanePosts: 38Member

    Of course people compare it to WOW, I agree, but you have to admit there are only so many times you can discuss a topic before it gets boring. People complain because it is boring. It is also a very narrow view when you discuss a game's relative merits only in regards to one other game, so the topic is also very limited.

    I am the only one here who will know if I will be disapointed when the game is released, just like everyone else here, I have my own personal and individual expectations.

    You generalise and say if we expect it to be different to WOW we will be disapointed.

    Firstly you don't even know if people waiting to play WAR do expect a revolutionary game that is vastly different from WOW.

    Secondly, the differences I want aren't big revolutionary difference, but subtle small changes, that have a large impact on me. I am sure that this is also different for every person.

    Thirdly, you cannot know if a person will be disapointed, because even if a game isn't exactly how they expected it, they may be happily surprised with the way it actually is.

    Your post is designed to rehash the issue, without directly addressing it. I have more respect for people who just do the comparing it to WOW thread and cop the flak that comes with doing it. At least they are honest with their motives.  

    WAR is not WOW - http://javairasfolly.jandell.net/?page_id=377
    www.afkcafe.com

  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,525Member

    Actually RvR is not a standard of MMORPGs.  If you were to look at many recent MMORPGs then WAR would have to do some of the followng in order to be a 'standard MMORPG'.


    1. Launch like a train over a cliff while a clueless Dev continues to spout how great the game could be

    2. Launch but keep charging customers who try to cancel

    3. Get their CEO fired for faking subscription numbers

    4. Send out Pre-orders and then cancel without warning

    5. Launch and hobble along well past the point it should have been cancelled

     

    These are the current 'standards' of MMORPGs.  Let's hope the genre as a whole, not just WAR but ALL games, can get away from these in 2008 

  • miffywiffymiffywiffy mooPosts: 245Member

    I played this RVR in DAOC and it was like WOW BG's to me but crap because DAOC's controls and UI are sooo dated, your character feels liek controlling a brick or something. Also DAOC's combat wasn't as fun as WOW's cause all you do is stand still and auto hit and that, atleast in WOW running about trying to miss the hits actually does something and requires more skill.

  • JavairaJavaira BrisbanePosts: 38Member

    Ahh well you will be pleased to know that combat in War will not be DAOC's, except that they both implement variations of RVR.

    The actual combat will hopefully be more fast paced and more dynamic. Some of the problems with DAOC was the insane amount of crowd control and the lack of Collision detection.

    From the videos I have seen the actually fighting will be more fluid, yes like Wow, but with added Collision Detection (as a tank player I am really looking forward to a MMO, finally adding this). Also being a newer game the UI and game engine will not be outdated as in DAOC.

    If all you want is instanced type PVP like you get in Wow, there really isn't any great reason for you to try War. What War does differently is that the RVR is the main point of the game.

    There are four ways to engage the enemy.

              - Skirmishes: Incidental PvP combat

              - Battlefields: Objective-based battles in the game world

              - Scenarios: Instanced, point-based battles balanced with NPC Dogs of War

              - Campaigns: The invasion of enemy lands culminating in the assault on their capital city

    Each of these, excluding the skirmishes help add to your realms Victory points. So at almost every point you are engaged in war, not just random battles.

    http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/podcast/ See podcast number 3 and 5 for more information as to how RVR works in War.

    Even some of the PVE is related to the war effort.

             - Public quests that benefit from the participation of the entire army

              - Conflict quests that pit players against an enemy with opposing goals

              - Branching quests that let you choose the outcome of the quest and your reward

              - Xmas quests that reward exploration with high value loot

    Now I am sure skirmishes and just running the instances will be fun and may even be better implemented than Wow's but if you don't understand that War is about objective based RVR, you are missing what it is all really about. The call to arms, the learning to work as a team, the tactics before a battle begins and then also the actual fights are all part of the fun.

    WAR is not WOW - http://javairasfolly.jandell.net/?page_id=377
    www.afkcafe.com

  • daelnordaelnor Manteca, CAPosts: 1,569Member


    Originally posted by miffywiffy
    I played this RVR in DAOC and it was like WOW BG's to me but crap because DAOC's controls and UI are sooo dated, your character feels liek controlling a brick or something. Also DAOC's combat wasn't as fun as WOW's cause all you do is stand still and auto hit and that, atleast in WOW running about trying to miss the hits actually does something and requires more skill.

    LOL. You really didn't play daoc much then. Granted, I can't blame you for your ineptitude, there is a steep learning curve to daoc's UI. I'm sorry if they didn't give you little flashy lights to tell you when to use your skills, and if you stood in one place during pvp and auto attacked, you most likely got rolled repeatedly until you got mad and quit.

    Honestly, of all the games I've played online, I MISS daoc's UI. No stupid cool down timers for every single friggin move, no flashy lights to tell you when to use your skills, you actually had to watch for that evade or that parry, you had to be smart enough to queue your moves so you had a back up in case you missed the reactionary style. If you spammed your moves constantly you would actually run out of endurance and be pretty much helpless, if you hit someone with a bleed move you'd break root and mezz attempts on them by allies, etc.

    DAOC combat kicked the crap out of WoW combat. Granted, if I wanted to see toons hopping around like some demented easter bunny on crack, I'd go play wow PVP.

    D.

    image

  • OpalekOpalek ColognePosts: 104Member

    Usual Troll post. Yawn and move on.

  • badgerbadgerbadgerbadger Austin, TXPosts: 148Member

    Originally posted by daelnor


     
     
    LOL. You really didn't play daoc much then. Granted, I can't blame you for your ineptitude, there is a steep learning curve to daoc's UI. I'm sorry if they didn't give you little flashy lights to tell you when to use your skills, and if you stood in one place during pvp and auto attacked, you most likely got rolled repeatedly until you got mad and quit.
    ...
    DAOC combat kicked the crap out of WoW combat. Granted, if I wanted to see toons hopping around like some demented easter bunny on crack, I'd go play wow PVP.
    D.

     D; I have been up for hours playing insomniac...

      That post just made my morning.

     

     Thank You!

     

     

  • daelnordaelnor Manteca, CAPosts: 1,569Member

    glad to be of service, heh.

    D.

    image

  • miffywiffymiffywiffy mooPosts: 245Member
    Originally posted by daelnor


     

    Originally posted by miffywiffy

    I played this RVR in DAOC and it was like WOW BG's to me but crap because DAOC's controls and UI are sooo dated, your character feels liek controlling a brick or something. Also DAOC's combat wasn't as fun as WOW's cause all you do is stand still and auto hit and that, atleast in WOW running about trying to miss the hits actually does something and requires more skill.

     

    LOL. You really didn't play daoc much then. Granted, I can't blame you for your ineptitude, there is a steep learning curve to daoc's UI. I'm sorry if they didn't give you little flashy lights to tell you when to use your skills, and if you stood in one place during pvp and auto attacked, you most likely got rolled repeatedly until you got mad and quit.

    Honestly, of all the games I've played online, I MISS daoc's UI. No stupid cool down timers for every single friggin move, no flashy lights to tell you when to use your skills, you actually had to watch for that evade or that parry, you had to be smart enough to queue your moves so you had a back up in case you missed the reactionary style. If you spammed your moves constantly you would actually run out of endurance and be pretty much helpless, if you hit someone with a bleed move you'd break root and mezz attempts on them by allies, etc.

    DAOC combat kicked the crap out of WoW combat. Granted, if I wanted to see toons hopping around like some demented easter bunny on crack, I'd go play wow PVP.

    D.



    Well i personally thought DAOC's PVP was slow and boring and the character movement was dated/clunky and the UI was ugly as hell.....



    We have different opinions, oh well... however most people obviously agree with me seeing as DAOC has a small population compared to WOW.

  • TambourineTambourine kyle, TXPosts: 181Member

    Originally posted by miffywiffy

    Originally posted by daelnor


     

    Originally posted by miffywiffy

    I played this RVR in DAOC and it was like WOW BG's to me but crap because DAOC's controls and UI are sooo dated, your character feels liek controlling a brick or something. Also DAOC's combat wasn't as fun as WOW's cause all you do is stand still and auto hit and that, atleast in WOW running about trying to miss the hits actually does something and requires more skill.

     

    LOL. You really didn't play daoc much then. Granted, I can't blame you for your ineptitude, there is a steep learning curve to daoc's UI. I'm sorry if they didn't give you little flashy lights to tell you when to use your skills, and if you stood in one place during pvp and auto attacked, you most likely got rolled repeatedly until you got mad and quit.

    Honestly, of all the games I've played online, I MISS daoc's UI. No stupid cool down timers for every single friggin move, no flashy lights to tell you when to use your skills, you actually had to watch for that evade or that parry, you had to be smart enough to queue your moves so you had a back up in case you missed the reactionary style. If you spammed your moves constantly you would actually run out of endurance and be pretty much helpless, if you hit someone with a bleed move you'd break root and mezz attempts on them by allies, etc.

    DAOC combat kicked the crap out of WoW combat. Granted, if I wanted to see toons hopping around like some demented easter bunny on crack, I'd go play wow PVP.

    D.



    Well i personally thought DAOC's PVP was slow and boring and the character movement was dated/clunky and the UI was ugly as hell.....



    We have different opinions, oh well... however most people obviously agree with me seeing as DAOC has a small population compared to WOW.

     That's because 3/4s of WoW's population are people who started playing MMOs with WoW. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the Warcraft name and Blizzard in general had a fairly large following before WoW existed. Did Mythic? No, at least not to the extent that Blizzard did.

    image
  • JavairaJavaira BrisbanePosts: 38Member

    I have learnt there is little point trying to argue with someones opinion. You don't like DAOC's combat fair enough, but War is not DAOC.

    Perhaps you meant to post that discussion in the DAOC board? 

    You say you like Wow's combat, which I personally, think is fine but could use improving. How does War combat compare? Well it seems to be more like Wow than DAOC, but until we get a chance to play we won't really know.

    You can't make a decision on what the combat in War is like, based on what the combat is like in a different game, but you know that.

    Hopefully War will have better combat than DAOC, but more purposeful than Wow.

    War will have plenty of RVR and combat aspects that are unique to it.

    Such as:

    Collision detection, the inability to run through opponents and the ability to actually be a physical barrier.

    Objective based battlefields.

    Victory points.

    and the Seiging of capital cities.

    The classes chosen for War will also have an impact on how combat works, with no pure support roles and no stealth a whole new set of tactics will be employed in this game. Forcing players out of the old mold of kill the healer first, watch our for stealthers.

    This game will play differently to both DAOC and WOW and EQ2 and LIneage 2. It will be just another mmorpg, of course it will, that is what it is advertised as being.

    The more you troll, the more you give me an opportunity to talk about the good points of this game.

     

    WAR is not WOW - http://javairasfolly.jandell.net/?page_id=377
    www.afkcafe.com

  • miffywiffymiffywiffy mooPosts: 245Member

    Just don't see how people can get soo angry over comparing it to WOW and say they're nothing alike....



    - Both grind to get to end level

    - Both have the same borign quests

    - Both have raids

    - Both drop gear from boss mobs

    - Both have similar combat

    - Both ahve similar UI's

    - both control similar

    - Both have PVP battlegrounds

    - both have levels

    - Both fantasy



    etc etc.



    Every mmorpg out there is the same, it's like EQ2 aswel is just WOW or DAOC or anything else out there.

  • SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Priest River, IDPosts: 1,330Member

    The Blue Pill = WoW.

    The Red Pill = WAR.

    ~~~

       <--- He took the red pill and looks happy!

    I'm going to take the red pill too.

      Bottoms up!

  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,525Member

     

    Originally posted by miffywiffy




    - Both have similar combat

    - Both ahve similar UI's

    - both control similar

    - Both have PVP battlegrounds

    - both have levels

    - Both fantasy



    etc etc.



    Every mmorpg out there is the same, it's like EQ2 aswel is just WOW or DAOC or anything else out there.

     

     You know what else?


    • Both will come in boxes

    • Both will be available from EB and Amazon.com

    • Both will have DvDs

    • Both will need PCs to play

    If the OP thinks the current mechanics of MMORPGs are so worthless then they're welcome to try to raise $30+ million and implement their own innovative ideas that will transform the entire genre.

    Unless you can come up with alternatives for UI controls and mechanics like Levels that WORK (and won't do a Vanguard in the attempt to implement them) then you can't complain about companies that choose to focus on making a fun game rather than creating a complete upheaval in the genre.

    That's not to say companies shouldn't try new game mechanics, but the reality is that MMORPGs are expensive and risky undertakings even without stacking the deck further.   Other genres like consoles games are better places for real innovation in the gaming industry, it's just not sensible to expect to find anything completely new in a MMORPG.

    Originally posted by Javaira


    Each of these, excluding the skirmishes help add to your realms Victory points. So at almost every point you are engaged in war, not just random battles.

    Actually I thought even Skimishes added to Victory Points.  Every enemy you kill gains VPs, at least I thought they said that in a podcast.

  • zanfirezanfire chicopee, MAPosts: 799Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by miffywiffy


    I played this RVR in DAOC and it was like WOW BG's to me but crap because DAOC's controls and UI are sooo dated, your character feels liek controlling a brick or something. Also DAOC's combat wasn't as fun as WOW's cause all you do is stand still and auto hit and that, atleast in WOW running about trying to miss the hits actually does something and requires more skill.

    so basicly ur noob ass is upfron saying "WoW copyed DOAC's RvR and renamed it," and that WoW is just a dumbed down everything b4 it.

  • daelnordaelnor Manteca, CAPosts: 1,569Member


    Originally posted by zanfire
    Originally posted by miffywiffy I played this RVR in DAOC and it was like WOW BG's to me but crap because DAOC's controls and UI are sooo dated, your character feels liek controlling a brick or something. Also DAOC's combat wasn't as fun as WOW's cause all you do is stand still and auto hit and that, atleast in WOW running about trying to miss the hits actually does something and requires more skill.
    so basicly ur noob ass is upfron saying "WoW copyed DOAC's RvR and renamed it," and that WoW is just a dumbed down everything b4 it.

    WoW in no way copied DAOC's pvp..or it wouldn't suck so bad. I guess you could say WoW's combat is better, cause you can hit someone even though they moved away from you 10 seconds before you swing etc. and so on. Wow's pvp combat blows arse and always will.

    Now wow's pve on the other hand, was much better implemented than daoc's.

    Then again, DAOC is years older than WoW, so I would hope they did some things better.

    D.

    image

  • checkthis500checkthis500 Raleigh, NCPosts: 1,236Member

    Originally posted by miffywiffy


    Just don't see how people can get soo angry over comparing it to WOW and say they're nothing alike....



    - Both grind to get to end level

    - Both have the same borign quests

    - Both have raids

    - Both drop gear from boss mobs

    - Both have similar combat

    - Both ahve similar UI's

    - both control similar

    - Both have PVP battlegrounds

    - both have levels

    - Both fantasy



    etc etc.



    Every mmorpg out there is the same, it's like EQ2 aswel is just WOW or DAOC or anything else out there.
    I wasn't going to post in this thread but I found your list interesting.

    If we take "both have similar combat" out of the list, basically you're saying that every mmo in existence is like WoW.

    LotRO, AoC, AO, DAoC, EQ, EQ2, L2, etc. etc. all would fit your list.

    Perhaps what you've stumbled upon is the list of things that make a game an MMO??

    At least that's what I think.  Minus the fantasy line too since that's just a setting.

    So I have a question for the OP.  What MMO do you like?  based on your list of what makes a game like WoW, I'm going to guess you like EVE. (a great game by the way.)

    ---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

  • evil13evil13 Burlington, MAPosts: 359Member

     isn't every fps exactly the same? You have weapons, you see your hands holding those weapons, and you shoot stuff. So, why are people buying all the new fps games instead of playing doom2?

     I do find it amusing that you said daoc's combat is slow paced (well, you can't attack with melee weapons faster than its swing speed, unlike wow where you spam intsa attacks..) but meh, if you ever had an 8v8 fight you'd know daoc's combat was anythign but slow paced. It is/was also a lot more tactical tha wow.

     Ah, well, trolls need to come up with some new topics, the same good ol' it's wow! and, it's just like all other mmos! posts are gettign stale.

«134
Sign In or Register to comment.