Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds: Goa'uld Interview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Recently, News Manager Keith Cross had the opportunity to sit down with Kevin Ballentine from Cheyenne Mountain's upcoming MMORPG Stargate Worlds to talk about the Goa'uld.

I recently had the chance to sit down and talk with Kevin Balentine, Public Relations Manager for Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment, where we talked about all things Goa’uld in the upcoming MMORPG, Stargate Worlds. Chances are, if you’re reading this, you’ve watched and enjoyed enough Stargate to know full well who and what the Goa’uld are. Still, for those who aren’t familiar with Stargate or for those who need a refresher, the Goa’uld are snake-like parasites that squirm into a human’s brain stem and take over. They are selfish, evil, and megalomaniacal, with little regard for the lives and rights of others. They were the main villains in the galaxy when Earth rediscovered her stargate and first stepped out into the universe.

At that time, the bulk of our galaxy was controlled by the empires of these flamboyantly dressed parasites who ruled by posing as gods and enslaving the populations of entire worlds. The first eight seasons of SG-1 pretty much charts the downfall of the Goa’uld Empire and their status as supreme gods of the Milky Way.

Read it all here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• sgtbencsgtbenc Member Posts: 13

P.S. – I thought it was pretty cool that the Goa’uld you play will be the snake and not tied to a specific host. This means that players will be able to swap hosts.
    That should be awesome!
  • blkjagblkjag Member Posts: 34

I cannot wait  for this game to come out, this could be the next "WoW killer   tired of the usual MMORPG type of games, this will be a refreshing change, plus the fact I am a huge SG-1 fan, love the latest screenshot.

• zensaberzensaber Member UncommonPosts: 787

Woooohooo I can't wait, I'm a huge stargate fan and hopfully it won't go belly up like SWG, and from what i'm hearing it won't.

• mrg11545mrg11545 Member Posts: 24
    I am intrested in the whole changing hosts thing because that can lead to alot of variations of players, but i am also curious how much power the go'uld will have. Will players be able to capture other players and lock them away in a dungeon for just a little while allow both players to do a mini quest. I am really curious to see how this plays out. Go'uld are a intresting race to be and i want to know alot more about them

Names Used - Garfinkel, MGarf, Scripter, Mrg11545 etc..

I Demand another Planetside!
    (Copy and paste this into your sig)

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

I hope they are watching Tabula Rasa and won't make the mistakes they made with "fast action combat" in a mmorpg.

• Tabby_CatTabby_Cat Member Posts: 140

Now I am Torn as to which side I would want to start as.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Yea this game looks better and better. Cant wait to see some in game stuff fairly soon, considering the game is do out late next year, though I'd be the first to suggest it'll never make that date lol. Playable Asgard.. I mean damn. How are they gonna keep them from being uber? Will be interesting to see. :D

I'd have to disagree with the guy he interviewed when talking about SG1 being a 10 and Atlantis being an 11 or 12. Maybe an 11 or 12 compared to the last season or two of SG1. But season 1-6 or so, SG1 would be a 20 on that scale. Atlantis sucks in comparison, I'm sorry. But yea, compared to the last season or two (I HATED the Ori story-arc. Nothing better then bringing over-bearingly evil christians into scifi with super powerful weapons and followers that believe 100% that they are good and anyone who doesn't believe is bad and should be killed outright. Ugh.. hated it. I know, not actually christians, but can it be denied that they were JUST like the real hard-core christians?

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Love SG-1 and Atlantis, and would like to believe that SGW will be as good as the series. So far this interview sounds like a concept art of a concept art, kinda good looking but too early to say what shape it will be.

Hope to see more details later on.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

This is just entirely too cool.

• RamzeppelinRamzeppelin Member Posts: 101

I followed this game since the day they announced it. I am a huge sg1 and MMO fan....but,

I stopped following it as lead desinger, what's his name, compared it to WoW and how they are basically making a sci fi WoW. To my amazement some have told me I'm wrong about that, yet it was clear to me.

He plays world of warcraft and pointed out how STO will try to improve on WoW's model. He elaborated.

Not to mention it is not bringing back immersion in any way I saw. Admittedly I gave up following it as it made me grumpy.

What is different about this game other then the stargate theme?

It makes me really bummed as if I were making ths game I would take the very exciting possibilities that come with SG and use them to set this game far apart from the clones of clones we have everywhere. Bring back immersion!  Instead of us LIVING the life in a stargate world, we will be fighting and leveling.

Anyone notice that korean grinding really has infiltrated the US market? Anyhoo has the game changed any?

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

The fact that they are still putting Asgard in the game is ridiculous. This already shows that they are deviating from the continuum. All Asgard are dead as of Unending.

And the Goa'uld are few and far between. What of the Ori? What of a tie in with Atlantis. The Wraith? After all, the Intergalactic Gate Network is up and running.

Sadly, I see another SWG where they make up their own stories and do not stick with the original continuum.

• pepcfreakpepcfreak Member UncommonPosts: 106

Stargate as a whole is awesome based on the endlessness of space exploration much like Star Trek in the sence that space knows no end. Think about the typical Fantasy MMO, you are always gonna have elves and fairies and good and evil. You know what to expect. Where as in Stargate enemies are endless and allies are who you least expect. Over all, I do agree with another post in this dicussion, SGW will be an amazingly fresh MMO with many years of fun!

• VadenVaden Member UncommonPosts: 145

Originally posted by daeandor

I hope they are watching Tabula Rasa and won't make the mistakes they made with "fast action combat" in a mmorpg.

I was thinking the same thing.. I've been playing CB(closed beta) and I guess allot of people are X-WoW player.. seems like everyone is, me.. I never played WoW so I kant or wont compare anything to it, especially a totally different TYPE of game with whole new features that fit more into this type of field of game play.

AANNYYWHHOO... TB(Tabula Rasa) is a fast pace shooter, 3rd person... like I said, it’s different from WoW but in no way at its current point "good". I've played PlanetSide and NeoCron so it's better to compare it with games almost like it.. given that.. TB has a lloooonnnggggg way to go. Now lets see if SG kan some how break over what TB missed so badly.

This is the main reason behind all this. Its Pay 2 Play and some key factors come in vs F2P games:

* Player housing - Bonks, Houses, Mansions, buyable-furniture, all give a player a semi-home feel and a place to rest ur items when not in use. a quick relief from grinding all day which IMO is just a F2P game. FFXi, and NC did a good job.

* Crafting Systems - that’s actually worth something. Being able to basically make anything in the game if you wanted to and have it turn out better then the shop version. NeoCron aced this ******

* Strong PvP system, not just a PK system - I've never seen PK/Ganking lead more to a games death but a good PvP like Outpost capture or a guild war always works well. Or a "Quake" like map just to go all out.

* Good marketing system - easiest thing, an Auction House. personal stores lag the towns & keep the servers overly full. Dont do it!!! ArchLord did an ok job, FFXI did a good job

* Mounts/Pets - not really a P2P thing as more free mmo's have them but being more diverse with it always helps. like multi-mount (cars, bikes, beasts, etc.. ) NeoCron & PlanetSide did a GREAT job of this.

These are only a few I'd say... able to play music, in-game trading card game,  fishing, basically anything to take ur mind off the grind and more on the game its self with a wide variation of features and enjoyment for its gamers.

Will SG be able to pull all this off.. kan TB still pull it off? lets see... i'd like to know/see who's the better game maker.

Games I've Played: SilkRoad, Flyff, NeoCron, PlanetSide, Rapplez, UpshiftRacer, Drift City, TB, Kwonho, ArchLord, AoA, Exteel, WolfTeam, Shaiyan, WoKF, FFXIV, STO, KoTR, ESO, Defiance, Mabinogi

Games I'm Playing: Warframe/STO

Games I'm Pondering: The Secret World

• LouiseKLouiseK Member Posts: 258

I think i watched the first SG series but wasn't aware that they were making a game based upon that. I'm certainly interested to see how it turns out.

I wouldn't hold my breath... LOTRO was based upon a popular book/film and imo looked the part but was oh so dull. I think the jury is still out on whether MMO based on TV concepts should be avoided to save disappointment as rule of thumb.

I don't understand why you'd cry about them making a SCI-FI WoW... that would be amazing. Why people begrudge WoW so much is something i don't think i'll ever understand. It was a lot of fun and still is to millions of people above the age of 18 :P

Actually, if a company said just that "We are making a game based around WoW with a few tweeks, better graphics and a different theme, i'd be there!".

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

I guess i'm the only one who thinks this will be INCREDIBLY difficult to pull off successfully considering the massive amount of hard and fast Licensed Lore they have to conform to.  Even more importantly the reason the show was interesting was that each week you tuned in to see the ongoing saga of O'Neil, Carter, Teal'C, and Daniel Jackson.  That doesn't exactly translate very well into a mmog other than the standard tired "gofer missions" that they may give you.  It's the same reason a Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica MMOG would be bad - the tv experience doesn't translate well to MMO.  I give it a 25-30% chance of ever being released before they either run out of money and/or the license holders get tired of waiting and pull the license,. 

• blkjagblkjag Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Flummoxed

I guess i'm the only one who thinks this will be INCREDIBLY difficult to pull off successfully considering the massive amount of hard and fast Licensed Lore they have to conform to.  Even more importantly the reason the show was interesting was that each week you tuned in to see the ongoing saga of O'Neil, Carter, Teal'C, and Daniel Jackson.  That doesn't exactly translate very well into a mmog other than the standard tired "gofer missions" that they may give you.  It's the same reason a Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica MMOG would be bad - the tv experience doesn't translate well to MMO.  I give it a 25-30% chance of ever being released before they either run out of money and/or the license holders get tired of waiting and pull the license,. 

I doubt that this will happen, simply for the fact CME is working closely with the writers of the SG-1 where they are putting their stamps and giving their feedback on what is coming out from CME, they are  working closely with MGM, plus the fact they had raise over $30 millions and the lead investor is also on the board.

• mindmeldmindmeld Member UncommonPosts: 229

All sounds very nice and intresting but im not holding my breath hopefully it will be great when its all said and done,

-Semper ubi sub ubi!
    always wear underwear