Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 winner: Age of Conan, Warhammer or Spellborn

Comments

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

It's a matter of opinion but a well-read unbiased opinion will say Warhammer. Why? First of all, Warhammer Online wont require as good of a computer as AoC. AoC has some seriously high system requirements and only people who just upgraded randomly and hardcore gamers usually have the 600$~ updated computers. I use the computer everyday and I barely meet the minimum. Secondly, Warhammer is a bit more well-rounded. It will have a few new things to offer but overall it's World of Warcraft but PvP oriented and most likely more polished upon release (i.e. already having the honor system and Dire Maul if you get my drift).

Age of Conan will also be more mature friendly. With boobs flying everywhere and the 18+ label, a lot of younger kids will really not be able to get the game whereas even though WAR might have an 18+, the nudity and drunken nature of AoC will probably sway them away. Either way, I wish both games success and foresee both getting great reviews. Warhammer has my vote.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

Where is the WoW option.. we all know they will still have the most subs :P

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• jzuskajzuska Member Posts: 418

I just hope that something is good. You know;

EQ good.

I wanna play 25 hours a day good.

I can't wait to get home from school/work/beating my wife to play good

The kids can go to sleep early good.

I hope my auction sold so I can buy XXXXXX good.

You know, GOOD.

Not mish-mashed IP sold re-sold and relicensed, oh fuck, lets just release the trash half done, system requirements will be fine in 10 years, non optimized false walled, GAH SOE BOUGHT IT, OH NO EA, zone portals will solve everything, lets just instance it, nerf that class, buff this class, TRASH that's out now.

Casue face it, we just want "the next big thing" to suck our lives away again. Or maybe it's just me.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

America only supplies WoW with 2 million subscriptions. Seeing that people are starting to catch-on to the WoW grind and are leaving, that will dive lower soon. I don't see any problem with WAR or AoC topping 2 million in America. The Chinese goldfarmers follow whatever game is most popular, so if WAR, for example, had 2 million subs in America, you can expect it to have around 4 million Chinese subscriptions just like WoW does. It's really that simple.

• bachanambachanam Member Posts: 335

Gave WAR a glance over, haven't looked into TCoS

My buddy is absolutely enthralled by AoC, he's read every 1930's conan book, has the cartoons, online stories etc.

On paper(devs) from what I've read of combat alone I would say AoC will have a lasting mark (IE the Oblivion style move hit duck dodge fire aim) but from the videos I've seen I can't be sure AoC is telling the truth.

Does anyone remember DDO? Nevermind what company that shall not be named, crushed a great legacy. On paper(devs) they told us Real-time Dodge/Aim fighting, and when it came out it was the same auto-attack 'if you are within 5meters and facing 180degrees in the right directionyou will hit based off calculations' ugh ugh UGH!!!

On a side note, I've only fallen for 1 game based off mmorpg.com and it's user's hype and thats PotBS because I have a soft spot for freedom pirating games (SEA DOGS FTW) So having said that I would have to say that I am most influenced towards a game by either it's official website or by friends, so if WAR and TCoS turn out to be great games then I will golfclap for them, but the only one I am going to try of the 3 is Conan

"Sometimes, things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are basically good. Honor, courage, virtue mean everything. Power and money, money and power mean nothing. Good always triumphs over evil. Love, True Love Never Dies."
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

• dude33dude33 Member Posts: 2

warhammer online? seems pretty weak, almost like wow.

spellborn? seems the typical canned fantasy bs.

Conan? living a life of barbaric decadence, chopping off opponents heads, raiding player cities in DX10?

ill take door number 3.

"i was born in a naked land, and bred in the open sky."
    -Conan

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

Warhammer I hope. I don't care if WoW modeled their world after WAR as long as the RvR is fun and there is a large enough playerbase.

If WAR flops, I'm done with MMOs until 40k maybe.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Spellborn doesn't even belong on this list.   I think it's going to be the Gods and Heroes of 2008.

Age of Conan has an Mature Rating but the XBox version could counter that.  I'm not saying there might not be some unusual game mechanics in AoC - how it does could change the MMORPG genre for the better but overall though Mature games have smaller player bases.

Warhammer Online will be the most likely to have the most subscribers out of this list. 

• knives22knives22 Member Posts: 375

Not WAR.

Not TcoS.

And the way it's looking, certainly not AoC.

• bdrakenycbdrakenyc Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

Spellborn doesn't even belong on this list.   I think it's going to be the Gods and Heroes of 2008.
    Age of Conan has an Mature Rating but the XBox version could counter that.  I'm not saying there might not be some unusual game mechanics in AoC - how it does could change the MMORPG genre for the better but overall though Mature games have smaller player bases.
    Warhammer Online will be the most likely to have the most subscribers out of this list. 

I think I'm gonna have to go with War for 2008. Didn't Gods and Heroes get indefinitely shelved a few weeks ago??

• gerhard45gerhard45 Member Posts: 44

Spellborn doesn't even belong on this list????

ROFL

• bachanambachanam Member Posts: 335
    Originally posted by gerhard45

ROFL

*/cough*they brag about changing your clothing/armor*/cough*

"Sometimes, things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are basically good. Honor, courage, virtue mean everything. Power and money, money and power mean nothing. Good always triumphs over evil. Love, True Love Never Dies."
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

• KnivesOnlyKnivesOnly Member Posts: 401

They all seem like they'll suck to me, nothing new over anyother mmorpg out already and still fantasy and still not upto the blockbuster quality of games like HL2 or GEOW etc etc.

• mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by bachanam
    Originally posted by gerhard45  
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord Spellborn doesn't even belong on this list.   I think it's going to be the Gods and Heroes of 2008.

ROFL

*/cough*they brag about changing your clothing/armor*/cough*

Don't knock it until you visit the character and custimization subforum on thier main website. I've been a long time follower of the game and to this day I still don't understand what's the big deal about that feature. Regardless of our opinion on that the CnC subforum has a lot of active discussions. Being able to wear different clothes without penalites matters a lot to mmo players.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

*cough*
    Oops, sorry.

Ok, the race is still valid. 4m 11d left.^^

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

TCoS is doomed to start with...acclaim,ad more speifically Devid perry, have the inverse midas touch.

every mmorpg they touch become dog shit right on the spot.

and AoC is in a downward spiral that havent reached the bottom yet.

• KabbaxKabbax Member Posts: 278

I'm changing my vote to Chronicles of Spellborn.

Been waiting for them to have a real US publisher for years. Been waiting for this game for years.

Feels like X-mas.

"The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."
    -Oscar Wilde

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Let's see:

I've played AoC.

I've been in the TCoS beta for over a year ( that's all the NDA allows me to say ).

I haven't played WAR, but I've seen the videos.

Out of the three right as of this moment, WAR will win.

• VehuelVehuel Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by markoraos

1. Hellgate: London
    2. Warhammer Online
    3. Age of Conan
     The rest imho don't have much of a chance.
    me 2 cents, we'll see how it turns out in a year...

lol, Hellgate London...rofl

Currently Playing: 3ds Max 2009
    Played and Loved: World of Warcraft, EVE Online, Warhammer Online
    Best F2P MMO: Requiem Bloodymare
    Want to Play: Aion (See Teaser), DCuniverseOnline (awesome gameplay videos)

• tucker87tucker87 Member Posts: 34

i think im gonna go with warhammer, i might give it a try

• Mortus9Mortus9 Member Posts: 12

Spell-what?

No seriously, Hello Kitty will spank Spellborn :p

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525

None of the above. Besides, Spellborn isn't even out yet, so how can you judge it anyway?

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

Only looking forward to TCOS, but there is no way that a niche game like TCOS is going to pass Warhammer online in popularity, hell I would be surprised if it beat AoC in popularity.

• GreenneutronGreenneutron Member Posts: 45

this poll is hardly a fair fight anymore. WAR will clearly be the winner of these three by the end of '08

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Smackr

none of them. even they all are surely going to be awsome! I think most ppl are going to Aion . (I presume that you are talking about what new generation MMOgames that will get the highest amound of players)

I seriously doubt Aion gets anywhere near the amount of people that Warhammer does, especially in the US/EU......