Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starwars Galaxies Making a comeback ??

Comments

• got2killgot2kill Member Posts: 35

rofl? a comeback? lolol i'll give u a list of reasons why it will never make a comeback

1. halo 3

2. horrid devs

3. NGE

4. Old as hell

5. Spammers

6. Bad

• ekicekic Member Posts: 163

Wow, so much insight and knowledge from these peeps that don't even play the game......I am impressed....truly 

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

Hey got2kill:

The spammers are gone, the Warden program killed them.

The new Dev team listens to the players and actually puts into the game some of the suggestions we make.

Chapter 7 the biggest content addition to the game in years hits TC today.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

No, the game isn't 'making a comeback'.

It's all 'hype' and/or 'marketing'. 

Vet's don't buy into it.  We've heard it all before.

The game is geared to bring in fresh meat.  The fresh meat is hopefully enough to keep the long term vets entertained and playing. 

The changes in the game aren't coming fast enough.

No, we don't want bugs, but we also don't like waiting months and months for changes you can really notice or appreciate. 

The 'new content' line used for Beast Master was really double-speak.  "It's new code", they said.  Okay, it might be 'new code', but its' a lesser-version of a once very rich profession.

This is the case with many things, imho.

Where are the combat animations?  They spent a publish updating entertainers and giving them the ability to fight pseudo-TK style, but won't bring back melee prof's or give Jedi combat animations?

Sorry... but as a Vet myself who still has an active account (that I do log in and play on), I don't think the game is coming back.  Server populations are low.  The server I play on has a terribly low population.  The CU started the trend and the NGE really just boosted the purge.  I had to move from guild to guild just to find one that would survive.  Now I think I may have to do the same with servers.

The combat style is still buggy.

The game still has bugs from years ago, but very few 'good' features from that timeframe.

They somehow brought rubber-banding back. 

Zero new expansions. 

Players say they are 'coming back', and some do and like it.  But for the most part, it's just vets popping their head in to see if 1) the lights are still on and 2) if they've come to their senses and rolled back or not.

Can't say I see 'comback' as a possibility for this game.

• LinnaLinna Member Posts: 387

http://mmogdata.voig.com/ (recent data on MMO)

http://www.mmogchart.com/ (some older MMO data)

Look up SWG. Says it all really.

Linna

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910

Lots of jaded people in here.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

Originally posted by Linna

Linna

Those numbers are only estimations as nobody has the "actual" numbers but SOE.  Notice the 10-14 month spans with the exact same # of subscribers?

• LinnaLinna Member Posts: 387

Originally posted by ekic

Linna

Those numbers are only estimations as nobody has the "actual" numbers but SOE.  Notice the 10-14 month spans with the exact same # of subscribers?

Yes, they are estimates, but those estimates don't materialise out of thin air. Often, they're leaked by people working for the company involved (who can't, of course, do so publically, as they're under an NDA). The long spans with the same numbers only says they don't have new data points - which is consistent with 'illegal' sources.

Someone once hacked into the server status data (long since impossible) and confirmed the estimates were pretty much on the mark.

From personal experience, I'd say the steep decline of subscription numbers between CU and NGE was accurate. For the NGE, all I can say is that every now and then some people I know go back for a few days, then leave again. I'd say that's a fairly good indication they're not getting the old player base back. I have no idea if they're managing to retain new players.

One thing that I think is significant, is that they're not releasing paid expansions anymore. It suggests they do not want to commit the resources such a venture will take, and think it's not a cost effective proposition.

Linna

Linna

Yes, they are estimates, but those estimates don't materialise out of thin air. Often, they're leaked by people working for the company involved (who can't, of course, do so publically, as they're under an NDA). The long spans with the same numbers only says they don't have new data points - which is consistent with 'illegal' sources.

Someone once hacked into the server status data (long since impossible) and confirmed the estimates were pretty much on the mark.

From personal experience, I'd say the steep decline of subscription numbers between CU and NGE was accurate. For the NGE, all I can say is that every now and then some people I know go back for a few days, then leave again. I'd say that's a fairly good indication they're not getting the old player base back. I have no idea if they're managing to retain new players.

One thing that I think is significant, is that they're not releasing paid expansions anymore. It suggests they do not want to commit the resources such a venture will take, and think it's not a cost effective proposition.

Linna

I've seen several new peeps come though the last few months.  We have a couple in my guild and they seem to be having a great time.  Not having previous systems to compare to is a plus for them and most really enjoy it.

I think the lack of expansions has more to do with them knowing they need to fix the mess created by the NGE before working on something that immerse.  I look for an expansion announcement during the 1st qtr of 08.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

However, Julio Torres didn't mind using the same data a few months back.

Maybe it is more accurate then people want to believe if an industry insider is willing to quote it.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Mr.Wizard

I loved preCU, CU, and now the current system.  Not saying the NGE was fun because it was shiat but that is gone ;)  I hate seeing peeps so full of anger that they can't give the game an honest shot now.  SWG still has the best community of all mmos....and always will.  Bitter or not I still wub you guys :P

you're either confused or... not that smart. The NGE is not gone (and never will go away), if it was than people wouldn't be gone.  I don't blame them for not trying anymore cause.. (and its been said countless times) SWG is nothin but a shadow of what once was a great and ambitious project. The only reason i see for you to 'like it a lot' is cause you lowered your expectations somehow. I dont blame you for that either cause thats the only way you can keep on playing this with 'fun'...

Spoken like someone that hasn't played the game in a while because the game is far from the NGE now and yes the players are returning too.  Have fun twinkling those fairies

Judging by the dates of your posts, you must be referring the "returning" players to the ones that got an email (including me) about the 28 day reactivation trial.  I played for a few days and wasn't even impressed.

• amaedictamaedict Member Posts: 54
    i'll say it again : For a "dead" game it sure gets alot of attention and replies ......
  • Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559
    Originally posted by amaedict

i'll say it again : For a "dead" game it sure gets alot of attention and replies ......

I think its because theres more "haters" for this game than there are actual players

• SophistSophist Member Posts: 171

First off I will let everyone know I just started SWG not to long ago. (5 days maybe) But I can Say I find it to be a bit better then a lot of the clones out to this day. I wont go to much into WOW other then say I think it is a wonderfully made game for the people who like it. I did play it for a yr or so and liked most of my gametime. But once I hit cap it turned into a place for me to sit and chat with people and thats about it.the PVP has NO consequence what so ever. NONE you die to be respawned in 2 mins with no lose at all cept maybe 30 seconds to run back to the fight.(SAD really)

That aside the whole argument on population is so stupid its not even funny. First thing to be understood is there is two different concepts that come into play when speaking of population numbers.

1. Population: The core problem here I think is not that the populations are small but that in the begining of MMO's there was only one or two that where really mmorpg's  hence huge world populations for the community that existed. Now we have a plethora of games out that have diluted the community into so many that the massive feel has been taken away.

2. Community: Yes WoW has a huge sub base but even when I first started playing I still never got the community feel of the older games like UO. The lack of communal objectives is another massive flaw in the field right now witch I'm hoping War has the solution to.

The idea of balance is a good one but poorly interpreted IMO. Balance should be determined by teamwork and skill and tactics not the level of my character or the 1000's of hours I spent in a raid dungeon to get the Uber leet pawnsor gear. Personally everyones raving about AoC WAR and Aion and the rest I hope they raise the bar but TBH I dont think its going to be the revolution that the industry needs.

I really want to see a developer go to the Sandbox style again hard with the new tech out these days if its done right I think its the only gameplay that can keep interest for years on end.

Storyline = story will end at some point!

Sandbox = Story starts and ends when you make it do so!

"The most important thing is to have the design support the players in setting their own goals in both cooperative and competitive interaction with one another." - Ironore -

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

I don't really have a reference for replying towards it making a comeback.  Since I never played Pre- NGE/CU . I was just starting to look at MMO's around SWG's release.

However a few days ago I signed up to fart around with it.  I went to 2 different servers that the game recomended.  It was not as baron as posters might lead you to beleive.  Tho it was not jam packed either.  

Anarchy Online is far more baron at certain times of the day/night everyday of the week.   From what I saw when playing.

At this point, Since I have been bored. I  even thought about picking up the full package deal where you get AT-ST (I believe it is).  However the only thing that really kept bugging me... After 2 - 3 solid days of fiddling around with hotkeys and controls.  I still could not get comfortable with customizing them.  

The defualt UI/assigned controls is just horrid in my opinion (exspecially the mouse). I'm not sure how to put it, It just took the steam out of me if you will.  Slowly over a few more days of fiddling trying to get a comfortable setup I got tired of farting around with it. 

Exspecially when some sort of bug popped up where the strafe and turns keys all became strafe keys when I logged back in.  They  were asigned properly and from what i could tell should not have been strafing with the "a" and "d" keys which were assigned to turn. The only way to fix  that i found was to reset back to the defualt settings. Then re-assign everything if I could remember.

I might still fart around with it in the near future. Im bored and nothings coming out that seems any better than SWG and Im a sucker for Sci-Fi over fantasy.

Originally posted by Darth_Pete

I think its because theres more "haters" for this game than there are actual players
    A lot of people dislike this game, true, but the dudes who haunt these forums talking smack on SWG are far out numbered by actual current players - because most people who don't play it any longer have no interest in it period.

Let's say there are only 10,000 players in SWG these days (it's much higher, but lets pretend). I don't see 10,000+ 'haters' in here running down the game... mostly just a couple dozen die hards who miss pre-CU. I will say there are more people who prefered the pre-CU and don't like nor play the current form of Star Wars Galaxies, but they sure arn't wasting energy in here crying about a silly computer game, lol.

The 'haters' want you to believe it's DEAD (which it CLEARLY is not) simply because they are jaded. Prolly has less to do with a PC game and more to do with something going on inside them...

Super Jaded....

Anyway.

Originally posted by Nikoz78

A lot of people dislike this game, true, but the dudes who haunt these forums talking smack on SWG are far out numbered by actual current players - because most people who don't play it any longer have no interest in it period.

Let's say there are only 10,000 players in SWG these days (it's much higher, but lets pretend). I don't see 10,000+ 'haters' in here running down the game... mostly just a couple dozen die hards who miss pre-CU. I will say there are more people who prefered the pre-CU and don't like nor play the current form of Star Wars Galaxies, but they sure arn't wasting energy in here crying about a silly computer game, lol.

The 'haters' want you to believe it's DEAD (which it CLEARLY is not) simply because they are jaded. Prolly has less to do with a PC game and more to do with something going on inside them...

Super Jaded....

Anyway.

As I've mentioned over on the vet forum there was a thread on the official forums yesterday that, at least from the time I saw it, had reached probably 6 pages long. It simply asked who would play or prefer a pre-CU server, and from what I saw I'd say about 50% wanted it. Needless to say that that post is now gone.

Seems that even the current players want it, and it's simply a matter of time (assuming we don't get it) that those people will be lured away to something else.

And it's not just about the "haters", but it's also about the "floaters". Those are the people that SOE should be concerned about most, because those people will be pulled away to the next big thing.

I've always said that if you make a game easy to jump into, it's equally easy to jump out of again.

• sinstersinster Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by amaedict

those who like and play this game now do not visit forums much....too much reading....

Originally posted by Suvroc

Seems that even the current players want it

Of course vets want pre-CU back. I know I do. But that's besides the point. Just throwing a number at you, but I'd say for every vet of SWG that plays the game there are roughly 10 new players - who like the game (a lot). They are not burdened by prior experience.

Also, I think the key to getting back into SWG is to invite a friend to try it and re-roll a new class. You'll find their enthusiasm is infectious.

/laters

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Super Jaded....

Anyway.

Yes there are not 10,000+ haters on this forum because this is not the "hate swg" forum. However you're number no matter how you put it are made up. I'm fairly certain they have more than 10k subscribers, however saying there are 10 new players for every disgruntled vet? I've played the current version, and It's not bad, but it is not good either. For those that never played Pre-CU and want to play a Star Wars MMO, SWG is their only choice. For vets that played SWG Pre-CU, there are "options" however neither are complete atm. But even one of the other "options" currently has nearly 27k members. I may be a SWG hater when I see fanboi's talk about vets, but if I see a fanboi that never played the Pre-CU telling new people to try SWG I'm fine with that. As long as you don't bring Vets into your discussion about SWG go right ahead and promote your version of SWG. The amount of Pre-CU vets out there will always far out number the current NGE players. It's just been so long that we are playing other games, and having fun! Not all of us are at MMORPG trying to correct all the fanboi facts spreading about SWG.

SOE is a hated company and for the most part always will be. Their reputation as a company is tarnished for all the bad they have done. If Pre-CU vets were so small a number, then why does every company that has anything to do with SOE always release a statement stating that "SOE will not have anything to do with the game development"? Simple fact is many games don't do as good simply because of the SOE logo on the box. The only game out there that probably won't have more haters than players is WoW. However with a dreadfully low population as SWG, Pre-CU currently out number NGE players. And on top of that most of the NGE population wants Pre-CU. A lot of the Pre-CU vets currently playing SWG are only doing so because there is no other Star Wars MMO!

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%

Of course vets want pre-CU back. I know I do. But that's besides the point. Just throwing a number at you, but I'd say for every vet of SWG that plays the game there are roughly 10 new players - who like the game (a lot). They are not burdened by prior experience.

Also, I think the key to getting back into SWG is to invite a friend to try it and re-roll a new class. You'll find their enthusiasm is infectious.

/laters

Ok then let me throw some numbers back to you.

I believe that at this point the general consensus of most people is SWG currently has approximately 100K subs. You theorize that 1 in 10 are vets, so therefore 90% of SWG's current players are newer.

I also believe that the general concensus seems to be that as of Nov. 14th '05 SWG had approximately 200K subs. This, by your rough estimates, then means that 5% of those players are vets that currently play.

You're telling me SWG lost 95% of their subscribers due to the NGE?

That's what I would call a disaster!

Oh, and so much for the idea of the "vocal minoirty".

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280

/laters

I believe that at this point the general consensus of most people is SWG currently has approximately 100K subs. You theorize that 1 in 10 are vets, so therefore 90% of SWG's current players are newer.

I also believe that the general concensus seems to be that as of Nov. 14th '05 SWG had approximately 200K subs. This, by your rough estimates, then means that 5% of those players are vets that currently play.

Personally I would say your numbers are a bit optimistic. Even at prime time on a Friday/Saturday most servers are dead. Only Bria/Bloodfin has what I would call an actual population. I would say SWG has less than 50k subscribers and at it's peak probably around 300k subscriptions. However your point is valid. NGE was a disaster, and who ever pulled the trigger on that must be one stubborn SOB! To still stick to this craptastic version of SWG is just beyond stupidity! Pre-NGE just about every server had people on at all hours with Prime Time packing cantinas on almost every planet. Now it's dead on almost every server. Leaving most players with the belief that "Next patch people will come back" Since when in all of SWG existence has a patch ever brought back players!?!?!? The only thing that has ever brought back people was free trials, and that is only for the free trial with most not re-subing. And even the ones that do re-sub theres an equal or more people that un-subed that were current players.

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%

Well 95% is exaturating, it's more like 84%, and with reliable accuracy at that. Bria and Ahazi are the only homes of most players now and Bloodfin and Chimeara are close behind while the 21 other servers are ghost towns. The last ethereal scan on all servers at peak hour showed 10,362 players online.

I said 84% because before the NGE/CU, 300K+ actively subscribed but in the NGE it's reported 49K which is about 84%.

Super Jaded....
    Anyway.

There is almost 27,000 registered members at SWGEmu, not sure what amount SWG:ANH and SWGPreCU emus then include most of the guys in this MMORPG SWG section, don't quote me on this but I think the SWG "haters" slightly outweight the NGE "lovers". The SWG forums obviously has thousands and thousands more members but just how many of those are active? :)

On weekends it's practically impossible to log onto the SWGEmu servers, I sit there at the login forever so I play on weeknights with less load, that's the drawback of individual SWG player servers I guess.

Also keep in mind the SWG official forums isn't really a place to "talk smack" on because: 1. mods delete those threads, 2. most "haters" aren't subscribed anymore including me and they can't post on the forums.

• Originally posted by Suvroc

/laters

Wow, i think those are the most bogus numbers and %'s that i've ever seen anyone pull out of anything rofl.

You know 75% of all statistics are made up. I swear its a fact. It has to be its a statistic!