Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: RoK: Creature Feature, Part One of Two

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The folks over at SOE's Everquest II have provided us with information about five of the new monsters that will make an appearance in the upcoming expansion, Rise of Kunark. EQII Senior Producer Scott Hartsman answers our questions about what goes into making monsters for MMOs in part one of a two part feature.

MMORPG.com:

Let’s start this off with a bang. Can you tell us a little something about what needs to be considered when bringing a new creature into an MMORPG?

Scott Hartsman:

There are a lot of questions that get asked. The story and environments tend to be the big driving factors – Who lives in these new places? What’s their history? Is this their natural environment, or are they displaced? And so on.

That’s an exercise that goes on for all of the new areas that we make, and it tends to drive a list that’s far larger than what’s practical.

Once those elements are worked out, we then need to apply reality. How much time do we actually have to get new creatures developed? How many new creatures can we feasibly develop? How much emphasis can (or should!) we put on bosses while still making sure there are enough new creatures for everyone to see?

Eventually, the wish list meets reality, and we end up with the populace for the new areas.

Check it out here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

It is cool to see the burynai again. They seem like a race that would be interesting to play. Can just imagine them as a monk  It will be interesting to see what the other creatures are though the mouth just makes me laugh.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Can't click on badger mesh image.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• Maedusa109Maedusa109 Member Posts: 7

I really wish they would have chosen the Burynai over the goofy Sarnak...but oh well...maybe someother expansion.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

It's good to see that there are some familiar Kunark monsters out there 500 years later in Norrath's history.

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43

I thought the article said there would be 5 creatures. I can only see 2, am I missing something? or have they been forgotten/not posted yet?

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by shalhassan

I thought the article said there would be 5 creatures. I can only see 2, am I missing something? or have they been forgotten/not posted yet?

It says "Part one of two". The 2nd part has not been posted yet.

• shalhassanshalhassan Member UncommonPosts: 43

Ahh, so I was missing something, thank you

"A single battle you have won, but so quick to think that this will be the end? I, like fear, am eternal, and in your dreams, I shall forever haunt."

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by shalhassan

Ahh, so I was missing something, thank you

No problem man, was easy to miss.