Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fury: Launch-Day Preview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Today's Fury Preview was written by not one, but two of our writers. Managing Editor Jon Wood had been playing the Fury Beta, but could not attend the content-complete demo, so Staff Writer Adele Caelia filled his shoes at that event, the result of which is this preview where you get both Jon's impressions and Adele's.

Fury. One person described this game to me as, “an MMO with all of the boring stuff stripped out of it”. While personally I don’t think that’s a completely accurate statement (I happen to like the PvE stuff that my friend described as “boring stuff”), I would have to say that Fury takes the conventions of a standard MMO and turns them on their ear.

PvP. In most MMOs, PvP is a side-attraction. It’s often included in MMOs these days as something else to do in between leveling and making your way through the PvE elements of the game. You know, quests, exploration, that kind of thing. Fury flips this convention over, making their game all about PvP with little to no room for PvE elements.

After character creation, you take your first steps into the Sanctuary. It is here that you and your character prepare for the many battles that are to come. It is here that you learn how the game works in the form of a tutorial. My advice is to pay close attention. While a lot of the conventions are similar, this is a bit more complicated than your average run-of-the-mill MMO.

Read the whole thing here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

After a couple of updates this game should be right up there with GW. I think this game can only get better over time with updates.

• CitronCitron Member Posts: 41

Nice review guys, glad to see Adele back reviewing. YOU GUYS ROCK!

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

I really like the sound of this game. I'll be looking forward to reading the review when it comes out.

Nice Preview you two.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

This sounds like no more of an mmo than Battlefield 2, UT, Quake, Half Life 2, Counterstrike, etc. 

They were wise not to chose a subscription based model to play. 

• KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

<33333 Adele

• Dan_GrayDan_Gray Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by Terranah

This sounds like no more of an mmo than Battlefield 2, UT, Quake, Half Life 2, Counterstrike, etc. 
    They were wise not to chose a subscription based model to play. 

The subscription *is* optional.

The difference between Fury and the other titles you listed would be the server. Fury has one large centralized server which is provided by Auran. This allows a lot more interaction between players and seamless gameplay. These servers do however cost a considerable amount to maintain, which is why there are a few additional ways in which we can subsidize that cost.

We are also well aware of the stigma attached to 'paying for power'. The benefits of subscribing revolve around convenience and time saving, not in game power.

• tenthringtenthring Member Posts: 173

Have any of the big magazines reviewed this.  I just bought orange box, so I'm going a bit crazy with that right now, but I may pick it up after my exam in Nov.

• tenthringtenthring Member Posts: 173

While a dev is here:

Is there plans to add any kind of "persistant" PvP areas (not an instance).  I'm thinking like the new PvP continient WoW is adding (also looking at WAR).

• ReRollerReRoller Member Posts: 61

I buy it and then watch ads?! This isn't a trival issue. You put ads in front of my face. What? After I buy the game. Why? None of the other ... Arrgh! this is making me angry but thats okay there are lots of games with a multiplayer mode that don't have ads.

•  

Originally posted by ReRoller

I buy it and then watch ads?! This isn't a trival issue. You put ads in front of my face. What? After I buy the game. Why? None of the other ... Arrgh! this is making me angry but thats okay there are lots of games with a multiplayer mode that don't have ads.

That was only during the Fury challenge when the writer played on behalf of the sponsors of the tournament, not sure why writer didn't mention that. The retail version has no ads.