Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost 2 yrs later and what?

Comments

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

"In fact most of the original pre CU players are still playing whilst all of you guys live with this We hate SOE crap."

LOL! Have you taken a serious look at the ghost servers? They tell the painful truth....over 200k players left due to the NGE and while some try the free vet trials, most do not stick around. SWG lumbers along on life support at 50k players if lucky. On the $OE boards, the majority still prefer the earlier incarnations, and would abandon the NGE in a nanosecond if classic servers went live.

Very little innovative and original content has been given over the course of TWO long years.  Watered down pre-CU content slowly gets re-introduced to the game, but it is poor compared to the original. If the game was anywhere near as 'good' as the few  players believe it is, there would be hundreds of thousands playing it.....no-one could or would stop players from subscribing to a really GOOD mmorpg. The continued low populations tells of the 'success' of the NGE  - plain & simple.

• ExiledagainExiledagain Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Kazara

"In fact most of the original pre CU players are still playing whilst all of you guys live with this We hate SOE crap."
    LOL! Have you taken a serious look at the ghost servers? They tell the painful truth....over 200k players left due to the NGE and while some try the free vet trials, most do not stick around. SWG lumbers along on life support at 50k players if lucky. On the $OE boards, the majority still prefer the earlier incarnations, and would abandon the NGE in a nanosecond if classic servers went live.
    Very little innovative and original content has been given over the course of TWO long years.  Watered down pre-CU content slowly gets re-introduced to the game, but it is poor compared to the original. If the game was anywhere near as 'good' as the few  players believe it is, there would be hundreds of thousands playing it.....no-one could or would stop players from subscribing to a really GOOD mmorpg. The continued low populations tells of the 'success' of the NGE  - plain & simple.

/amen

• Originally posted by Kazara

the majority still prefer the earlier incarnations, and would abandon the NGE in a nanosecond if classic servers went live.

Maybe, maybe not. I gotta say I have become accustomed to not sitting around for hours while my wounds get healed by an entertainer or hope that a doc is in the hospital. PvPing versus a commando and then the thousand or so HAM wounds makes ya hate the olden days a bit rofl. If you liked that you are a one hell of a trooper then because hours upon hours of sitting for wound heals each day was not really my idea of fun.

Also, at SWG's peak right after the CU was around 310k subscribers (Mainly because I remember SOE gloating about it being so popular), and now down to around 80k subscribers according to some random rumor room post, but I have no clue what the current actually is, but I could imagine that they lost 100k-200k subs due to the admittance of Smedley to the public of the NGE blunder.

• =GK=Darkstar=GK=Darkstar Member Posts: 30

The blunder was CU mate, it sucked and made it too easy for people with no jobs to sit and level up and become lv80 in days

It was a disaster and I see more people still in SWG than play LOTR online and everyone israving about that game,

Creator & Founder of =GK= Clan 2004
    =GK= Founder & Creator 2004
    Multi Gamer

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

What does the Dev team really have to show for this past two years? I've gone back a few times since the NGE happened and even after this past update (Beastmaster).
    In my opinion, they should have already had the Jedi issues fixed, which is the only class I really want to play. I would prefer the Pre-NGE game, but if the only Star Wars MMO I have to choose from is SWG, then I at least want to have fun playing the class I want to play.
    Anyone else that have actually played this game since the NGE feel that SOE is moving WAY to slow on fixing and improving SWG?

I feel the game can never be fixed because they used a FIXED timeline in the star wars saga so even with the NGE making people angry at SOE the fixed time and not being able to make new stories that go with the timeline effect this game as a whole. And Lucas arts knows this and thats why they are covertly making there new game with BIOWARE Austin.

• Originally posted by =GK=Darkstar

It was a disaster and I see more people still in SWG than play LOTR online and everyone israving about that game,

I play both, and they are very very different games. Very difficult to compare them. I play LotR:O and SWG for story line. Now I think LotR:O has a more in depth combat system than SWG, but that is due to lotr being set up for constant groups and end game raid encounters while SWG is set up more for soloing.

Both have strong points and weak points, but I must say I see more people on at a time on my server Silverlode in LotR:O than on the SWG server Bria. Nothing against SWG as it still tickles my fancy.

• Originally posted by Goldknyght

What does the Dev team really have to show for this past two years? I've gone back a few times since the NGE happened and even after this past update (Beastmaster).
    In my opinion, they should have already had the Jedi issues fixed, which is the only class I really want to play. I would prefer the Pre-NGE game, but if the only Star Wars MMO I have to choose from is SWG, then I at least want to have fun playing the class I want to play.
    Anyone else that have actually played this game since the NGE feel that SOE is moving WAY to slow on fixing and improving SWG?

I feel the game can never be fixed because they used a FIXED timeline in the star wars saga so even with the NGE making people angry at SOE the fixed time and not being able to make new stories that go with the timeline effect this game as a whole. And Lucas arts knows this and thats why they are covertly making there new game with BIOWARE Austin.

It is a fixed time line now. It doesn't mean they can't progress. It has been 4 years since release of the game and in all reality it was a 4 year period between ep 4 and ep 6. They could over throw the empire kill the emperor in his current form redeem vader and start the New Republic! O, if only cuz how cool would it be to see Mara Jade with Luke Skywalker, along with the dirty little Solo kids etc..

They could do it if they wanted and then the whole there are to many jedi would be pointless in the new time period.

• RellucRelluc Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by namelessbob

It is a fixed time line now. It doesn't mean they can't progress. It has been 4 years since release of the game and in all reality it was a 4 year period between ep 4 and ep 6. They could over throw the empire kill the emperor in his current form redeem vader and start the New Republic! O, if only cuz how cool would it be to see Mara Jade with Luke Skywalker, along with the dirty little Solo kids etc..

They could do it if they wanted and then the whole there are to many jedi would be pointless in the new time period.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!  I might actually go back to SWG if they'd update it to beyond EP6....new content, no more "too many Jedi" running around, HOPEFULLY FIX a lot of bugs w/current/old system....new planets, maybe a chance to play as a Vong??? Now THAT would be a cool race to play if you were going to hunt Jeeedaiii.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Maybe, maybe not. I gotta say I have become accustomed to not sitting around for hours while my wounds get healed by an entertainer or hope that a doc is in the hospital.

Exaggeration does not help your case.  Any novice entertainer could have you healed up in a matter of minutes; sitting in an empty cantina is what takes you hours.  And a novice medic with supplies could heal your other wounds also in a matter of minutes.  It was only in the CU that medics lost their wound-healing to the docs, probably because docs needed some sort of edge after losing so much.  But that was so typical of the CU: robbing the (low) poor to give to the (high) rich.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Originally posted by =GK=Darkstar
    Gotta call you on this:

Ok we get it you dont like the NGE and you put some lame "Dont Keep Paying SOE" on your Tat house when you cancelled you subs which have all gone now btw  LOL I saw so many of these . . .
    Just move on and leave the community you all said would die, (which didnt) to play a game they like.  How do postings on this forum impact the existing SWG community, of which I assume you are a member?   How is anyone here disturbing your play?
    i hated the game when the CU came out as you and all you Banther hunters who had nothing better to do all got together for Yawntastic hunts.
    The NGE was not the answer to how it was when the game was first came out but its a better game than that CU you all hark back to.  I'm not sure what all this means.  Most posts here harken back to preCU.  Everyone here agrees CU sucked.  Maybe one or two liked CU,  but hardly "you all."
    In fact most of the original pre CU players are still playing whilst all of you guys live with this We hate SOE crap.  WRONG or a lie, take your choice.  Most original players are not still playing and that is plainly obvious with the empty servers.  Try again.
    Move on mate, its getting boring now  It's only boring if you are here reading it.  Maybe you need to move on?

I respect anyone who is enjoying the current incarnation of the game and wish you continued enjoyment.  But don't come here with weak and obviously false claims.  Please try again.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Obraik

These Devs have also introduced more into the game in the same period of time then what was done pre-nge..

Care to back that up?

I'll start:

Pre-NGE (jun03 - nov05)

Jump to light speed

Rage of the wookies

Trials of ObiWon

Combat upgrade (yeah not great, but it was added prior to nge)

Post-NGE (nov05-oct07)

No expansions at all

removed 24 professions

reintroduced some things that were already in the game prior to nov05

Something for heavy weapons.

That just about sums up the last 2 years in SWG. 

Seriously who are you trying to convince when you make statements like that?  New players or yourself?  No one who played before the NGE could accept that statement as anything but blind loyalty that flies in the face of facts and reason.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Originally posted by Goldknyght

There not changing the time period because thats what they used a Fixed Time period. They were the first to use one. Killing the emperor would mean they would have to make a ENTIRE differant game. Quests would have to be changed and such. That costs alot of money to do that change and personally i dont think they are making any money more then to keep the servers running on SWG.

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

The blunder was CU mate, it sucked and made it too easy for people with no jobs to sit and level up and become lv80 in days
    lol im in lotr cant stand wow any longer.

I laugh at this lol, lotr has more people on the one server im on then all off the swg servers.......

Oh i dont have to prove a darn thing you prove it dont.......

that ones old lol

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

If i read Smedies cool comments in some interviews where he admit to be not very happy about  the poor state of  the game .

(well you have to read "between the lines" - if he states we will add more cool this and that for me it means - the game i s lacking this and that or has done this and that to the true SWG gamers ).

Well who i am to try to contradict him 

watch out for some basic characteristics of  the  NG(a..)E.

- 9 classes and not 32 professions

- tarded combat style

- no different xp for different actions

- jedi a starter class.

- 90 char lvl

- loot based

--and many more ..

if  you detect  3 or more of those while playing you are part of  DA NG(a..)E..

ofc the have done some cosmetic changes ..well they had almost 2 years .. but the stinky part is still there ...and the majority of Star Wars players still don't have their MMO back

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Setting the game in the period between ANH and ESB did create limitations on it, but I think Koster picked that period in particular because he wanted to appeal to an adult, not kiddie, audience.

Too bad for him that the ADD wankers at Lucasarts are all totally obsessed with lightsabers.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by SioBabble

Setting the game in the period between ANH and ESB did create limitations on it, but I think Koster picked that period in particular because he wanted to appeal to an adult, not kiddie, audience.
    Too bad for him that the ADD wankers at Lucasarts are all totally obsessed with lightsabers.

The only limitation was their imaginations. There was virtually a million plot directions they could have gone, because there was about 2 years between ANH and ESB.

It was a civil war. Maybe Tallus had a weapons plant that needed destroying? The gungans resisting imperial rule? Hell.. the tuskens could have tried to take over Mos Entha. That's just three things off the top of my head. The parameters were "Don't break canon" and they couldn't even stop from doing that.

There were countless EU characters to run with.. Admiral Dalaa, all of the Rogue Squadron (Man, wouldn't it have been great to have you be able to work your way into Rogue Squadron by space missions? The 181st if you're Imp? ) They could not just be an NPC you get a couple chat bubbles with, but something tangible.

They had such a vast canvas and they didn't even know it.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Hasn't SOE always moved WAY to slow in fixing the game?  You should ask this question on the official Station boards, and be prepared to defend your question.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Shayde

Originally posted by SioBabble

The only limitation was their imaginations. There was virtually a million plot directions they could have gone, because there was about 2 years between ANH and ESB.

It was a civil war. Maybe Tallus had a weapons plant that needed destroying? The gungans resisting imperial rule? Hell.. the tuskens could have tried to take over Mos Entha. That's just three things off the top of my head. The parameters were "Don't break canon" and they couldn't even stop from doing that.

There were countless EU characters to run with.. Admiral Dalaa, all of the Rogue Squadron (Man, wouldn't it have been great to have you be able to work your way into Rogue Squadron by space missions? The 181st if you're Imp? ) They could not just be an NPC you get a couple chat bubbles with, but something tangible.

They had such a vast canvas and they didn't even know it.

God I remember those nasty Tusken raids in Bestine and Entha, but the droid invasion has to be the single best live event in SWG history and they occured all over the place and were very challenging- I think this was around publish 7-8 just before the big publish 9 Jedi change.  I'm sure not many will agree with me but the devs at that time were better than the ones were in the CU and NGE, I think SOE changed the dev staff at least 3 times in the past 4 years.

The changes to Jedi in publish 9 wasn't a bad thing either, it made Jedi a bit more balanced and countered the need for perma death (and skill loss) which was a pretty harsh penalty due to connection and stability bugs that existed, and had they not made the FRS too easily farmable with fight clubbing it would have been better (I stayed at rank 0 knight as a master healer).

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Ok we get it you dont like the NGE and you put some lame "Dont Keep Paying SOE" on your Tat house when you cancelled you subs which have all gone now btw
    Just move on and leave the community you all said would die, (which didnt) to play a game they like.
    i hated the game when the CU came out as you and all you Banther hunters who had nothing better to do all got together for Yawntastic hunts.
    The NGE was not the answer to how it was when the game was first came out but its a better game than that CU you all hark back to.
    In fact most of the original pre CU players are still playing whilst all of you guys live with this We hate SOE crap.
    Move on mate, its getting boring now
    Ok ive never called anyone out on these forums before, But wtf ,this is the refuge forums, you know people who left swg  with good reason.

If your still playing that crap  maybe you should "move on"to the SWG current forums.

And i would like to point out that most of the precu players are NOT  still playing . If they are please show me numbers that pove this. All i have to do is read the official forums and read the whines about no players on most of the servers to know that is total BS.

My apologies if you find our threads boring, maybe you should go play SWG and forget about us SOE haters then you wont get bored. 

Because some of us actually find the "WE hate SOE threads" amusing and worth our time to read and post.    And we wont stop until we find a game actually worthy of our attention. Not virtuall babysitter games like the present crop of MMOs

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

A list for you:

Revamped Heavy Weapons (free targeting with no target needed to fire)
    Leveling via questing
    Restuss event
    Profession expertise
    GCW static bases (PvP zones around the Galaxy that give out rewards the longer your faction holds them)
    GCW faction rank system
    Implementation of a Smuggling system
    Implementation of a ground RE system
    Implementation of the Beast Master expertise to replace Creature Handler.
    2 bug bashes
    Revamped Imperial and Rebel themeparks
    Implemented the Collections system
    Implemented the Heroic encounters
    Returned and revamped the Village

Now, what's wrong with Jedi?
    Obraik, I never usually consider disagreeing with you, because I think you consistently post constructive contributions here, but I disagree with you on the highlighted point above. That delivery system they implemented was many things, but it was NOT smuggling. At least not to me. I waited like a good doggie for 3-4 years for that system, and all I got was the same old rinse and repeat deliveries and identically spawning npcs every single time. It was dull, grindy and entirely predictable.

In short, it was about the laziest piece of coding they could have done. I gave up on stage three because I realised it wasn't going to become any more fun, and there was nothing to work towards at the end of the day.

Technically, you could call it smuggling, fair enough. It's all irrelevant now as I've given up trying to go back now. I love my community there, but they aren't paying my sub fees.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

In fact most of the original pre CU players are still playing whilst all of you guys live with this We hate SOE crap.

Sorry dude but I find this really difficult to believe, my friends list was above 70 members on it and almost always 20-25 online at a time back then in 2003-2005, when I went to play a little during the vet reactivation trial there was 0 online, ZERO.  I did recognize a few names wheN I wandered around but they were also on the vet reactivation trial, a couple were liking the changes, but I personally wasn't satisfied.

As a matter of fact quite a few I knew from back then don't even mention SWG anymore, they're off playing WoW, GW or EQ2, CoH, or just plain not playing any game at all.  My old guild's website/forum died out and doesn't exist anymore.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by akevv

I cannot help myself here. Obraik, I will open with a question:
    Has the SOE dev team EVER done anything wrong in your eyes?
    I have never seen you even once question anything they have ever done. Everyone knows you enjoy the game. I totally respect that. It is one of the only places to get a science fiction experience. Where you loose your credibility is your total, undying support for anything these people do. I truly think that if they erased your characters altogether, you would proclaim it as a chance to start anew and still be in love with SOE.
    As for everything you have listed below, I can only see one truly new thing that we didn't have in a previous version; the heavy weapon reticle. Everything else listed is a feature we already had or should NOT have to pay for. Bug bashes as content!?!? Are you serious?
    You ask what is wrong with Jedi and you also say that you prefer the speed of combat. Have you ever actually looked at yourself run? The feet don't even match the pace of the ground covered. Jedi as a starter profession, totally degraded to the point where they are no stronger than any other profession, is opposite of the movie experience. Jedi were few, and they were much, much more capable in combat, negotiations, and diplomacy than anyone else. The old game at least attempted to emulate the path as best as they could. The new game hands it out like candy and doesn't even ask its patrons to behave like a Jedi.
    The game is a mess, but through your eyes, all is well. I think perhaps that in RL you don't have a lot of power or respect, so you cling to this game as if it actually means something.
    Obraik, it doesn't and playing it, defending everything about it, does not complete you. You should really try to be so passionate about something that actually matters, like feeding the homeless. I am very sure with your drive, there would not be a hungry soul in NZ.
    /hug
    You are a good guy, just misdirected.
    <blockquote><i>Originally posted by Obraik</i>

<br><b><p>A list for you:</p>

<ul>

<li>Revamped Heavy Weapons (free targeting with no target needed to fire)</li>

<li>Leveling via questing</li>

<li>Restuss event</li>

<li>Profession expertise</li>

<li>GCW static bases (PvP zones around the Galaxy that give out rewards the longer your faction holds them)</li>

<li>GCW faction rank system</li>

<li>Implementation of a Smuggling system</li>

<li>Implementation of a ground RE system</li>

<li>Implementation of the Beast Master expertise to replace Creature Handler.</li>

<li>2 bug bashes</li>

<li>Revamped Imperial and Rebel themeparks</li>

<li>Implemented the Collections system</li>

<li>Implemented the Heroic encounters</li>

<li>Returned and revamped the Village</li>

</ul>

<p>Now, what's wrong with Jedi?</p></b></blockquote>

<br>
    Of course there's stuff I disagree with, most recently it was changes made to Medic.  I also disagree with their choice to give out completed armour rewards rather then schematics.  Stat wise, the suits are rather crap compared to anything that can be crafted and can't be used in simillar high end content that you need to go through to actually get the armour.   Those that listen to me on Vent know I have my periods where I can bitch about a number of different things ;)

I disagree with you that heavy weapon free targeting is the only new thing added.  I also never paid anything extra for the bug bash, how do you propose they hand that out for "free"?

It was inevitable that Jedi became a starting profession due to a number of different factors.  The first was that Jedi was never hard to unlock, it just required time to grind out all the XP.  After 4 years of the game and people grinding there'd be a large chunk of Jedi running around even with the original pre-pub 9 system.  With the XP rates in the CU this only became more likely and to me, there seemed to be a larger portion of Jedi running around towards the end of the CU then there is now.  People felt the need to grind Jedi to be the best at the game because without it, they were at a disadvantage against anyone that was a Jedi which only fueled the Jedi grinders.  Lastly, LucasArts knows that Jedi sells, I'm sure their logic is that if Jedi can be obtained easily then sales are going to improve.

I have a rather good grasp on reality and where the game fits into it all.  I'm just as passionate about plenty of non-gaming subjects as I am about SWG (note my All Blacks support avatar.  No mention of the French, please ;) ).  I do sometimes wonder if the same can be said about others on this forum that make a point to go to every single thread related to SWG and do their very best to bring it down.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Daffid011

These Devs have also introduced more into the game in the same period of time then what was done pre-nge..

Care to back that up?

I'll start:

Pre-NGE (jun03 - nov05)

Jump to light speed

Rage of the wookies

Trials of ObiWon

Combat upgrade (yeah not great, but it was added prior to nge)

Post-NGE (nov05-oct07)

No expansions at all

removed 24 professions

reintroduced some things that were already in the game prior to nov05

Something for heavy weapons.

That just about sums up the last 2 years in SWG. 

Seriously who are you trying to convince when you make statements like that?  New players or yourself?  No one who played before the NGE could accept that statement as anything but blind loyalty that flies in the face of facts and reason.

You had to pay extra for all that content introduced.  The content that's been introduced over the last 2 years has been at no extra charge.  Chapter 7 almost has as much content included in it as ToOW did.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I just knew you couldn't back up your statement with a list.  SWG prior to NGE had tons more content, fact.  Post NGE they have removed more content than they added.

Rehashing old systems that were already in the game or removed and reintroduced again doesn't count as adding content.  Ohh revamped heavy weapons, ohhh revamped 2 theme parks that were already in the game.  That is like me taking $50 from your wallet and returning 50 cents and you get excited that you have more money now.

Wasn't the NGE supposed to make managing the game easier and they could add content faster?

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

I tried to get back into this game, I really did not long ago. I thought if only I could just accept the combat system, the game would work for me and I would have fun. But that was nonsense.

I found many things about the game broken, repetitive, and simply not fun. That isn't to say that it would have been perfect if the NGE was scrapped and we got "classic" servers, because frankly, I left and returned to SWG several times in the period before the NGE. As far as I am concerned, until vehicles came out, the game was incredibly boring.

SWG was a solid concept that failed in its execution from the beginning. It could have gone so many awesome directions, and instead of being creative and having fun with the system, the developers panicked and released a game that needed a few more features and then desperately tried to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Before the NGE, I NEVER saw credit spammers. When I returned, I couldn't have normal conversations in some of the starports. The free passes to the game did this I'm sure, but it's all tied to the almighty dollar that SOE worships beyond all else.