Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another SWG playerbase meltdown

124»

Comments

• PetroPetro Member Posts: 10

I played SWG from the early Betas through release and six months afterwards...When they nerfed the Beast Lords I quit and never looked back.  Some people will take anything just to avoid admitting they are arguing the loosing side.  I cut my losses and moved on.  Didn't even wait for the NGE the writing was on the wall long before that.  This game was never good...only potentially good.  Why heads didn't roll over this mismanagement I'll never know.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by =GK=Darkstar

Originally posted by soecabal

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=500249
    Seems that these "devs" couldn't figure out a way to make their "heroic encounters" challenging without destroying an entire profession.  Which proves that all their "heroic mobs" are is a million HP and huge unstoppable damage.
    Took them 6 months to come up with THAT?!
    I am all for these changes and I hope Blixtev sticks to his guns and it goes live and they ban everyone who complains.  It's basically to the point where the best interest of this game is to die.  The thing already has the lid on the coffin and several nails driven into it, and this one is a railroad spike.
    Once again, changes like this are proof positive that:
    1. The Devs of SWG are not very talented, if this is the best solution to this problem they could come up with in 6 months when their customers can come up with hundreds of BETTER solutions in six seconds it's proof that they need to go the way of the paper MCSE's of the late 90's and go into another profession.
    2. The Devs of SWG when confronted with ANY problem will ALWAYS take the EASIEST way out even if it impacts EVERYONE. 
    3. Even after there being many MANY riots and meltdowns after changes of this and greater magnitude, they still can't forsee any of it and create more such.
    4. The Dev team isn't talented enough to keep this thing going much longer. 

Not going to last much longer, mmmm, have I not heard that before.....ya for 4 years plus,

Aside from your opinion that SWG is not dieing do you not have anything to add to Soecabal's points?

He's made a few interesting claims that are hard to dismiss.

• =GK=Darkstar=GK=Darkstar Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Exiledagain

Not going to last much longer, mmmm, have I not heard that before.....ya for 4 years plus,

A slow death takes time i guess . If you think its not slowly declining then you are not looking at the facts.

Every thing ends and dies including you mate.   But I fail to see the point in posting about it as its still there and all the predictions of it being DEAD (OH NO THE SKYS FALLING DOWN) and people going in the huff about NGE and leaving was the funniest thing I ever saw.

I was actually glad to get rid of all the crying CU people, CU sucked and those people took the game way too serious

Creator & Founder of =GK= Clan 2004
    =GK= Founder & Creator 2004
    Multi Gamer

Originally posted by Suvroc

Seems that these "devs" couldn't figure out a way to make their "heroic encounters" challenging without destroying an entire profession.  Which proves that all their "heroic mobs" are is a million HP and huge unstoppable damage.
    I am all for these changes and I hope Blixtev sticks to his guns and it goes live and they ban everyone who complains.  It's basically to the point where the best interest of this game is to die.  The thing already has the lid on the coffin and several nails driven into it, and this one is a railroad spike.
    1. The Devs of SWG are not very talented, if this is the best solution to this problem they could come up with in 6 months when their customers can come up with hundreds of BETTER solutions in six seconds it's proof that they need to go the way of the paper MCSE's of the late 90's and go into another profession.
    2. The Devs of SWG when confronted with ANY problem will ALWAYS take the EASIEST way out even if it impacts EVERYONE. 
    3. Even after there being many MANY riots and meltdowns after changes of this and greater magnitude, they still can't forsee any of it and create more such.

Aside from your opinion that SWG is not dieing do you not have anything to add to Soecabal's points?

Where did I say it was not dying, i just get sick of the CU Batha Hunting Boremasters telling me the game is dead when its not as long as people play it.

No Game gets more people playing after 4 years, games always start to have less players and WOW will be and is as i see it startuing to have less people playing, it just has a broader appeal to people than a sci fi based game.

Multi Gamer

• ExiledagainExiledagain Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Exiledagain

A slow death takes time i guess . If you think its not slowly declining then you are not looking at the facts.

Every thing ends and dies including you mate.   But I fail to see the point in posting about it as its still there and all the predictions of it being DEAD (OH NO THE SKYS FALLING DOWN) and people going in the huff about NGE and leaving was the funniest thing I ever saw.

I was actually glad to get rid of all the crying CU people, CU sucked and those people took the game way too serious

Fair enough !  I never like cu either .

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by Suvroc

Where did I say it was not dying, i just get sick of the CU Batha Hunting Boremasters telling me the game is dead when its not as long as people play it.

No Game gets more people playing after 4 years, games always start to have less players and WOW will be and is as i see it startuing to have less people playing, it just has a broader appeal to people than a sci fi based game.

Well, what are you trying to say then?

Soecabal hasn't exactly said the game is dead has he? It looks to me like he's saying the game is dieing, which is exactly what you said as well.

Sounds to me like the two of you are agreeing on that part at least. Do you agree then with the rest of his post?

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by SioBabble

I've posted on this before, and Obraik doesn't want to hear it, but I've talked with new players, described the old game, and all they can say is "that sounds so cool!"
    Yet the conspiracy of dunces that is SWG management and developers does not hear any of this.

Did you happen to bring up the flaws the old game had?  Usually when I get to that part they lose interest ;)

I wonder what that old game would be like if they had spent the past 3 years working on it instead of making hologrinds and secretly developing 2 entirely new games. 

Just for a moment stop and think about that.  Now consider what has happened to the game instead.  More content has been removed than added since the NGE, how can that be good?

The big difference is that SWG started losing subscriptions within the first few months after release.  It started losing subscribers before there was even new titles to compete with it.

No game gets more people after 4 years?  Go tell that to Eve online please.  WoW as of last report was still gaining after how many years and seriously how much more could is possibly grow when is shatters record after record?  I think what you are confused about is few games are quality enough to play for that long anymore which is why subs drop so fast.

All games have a life span.  Some are healthy and others seem to have a plague. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I'm a forgiving type, I gave the CU a chance and I grew to like it, but the NGE was the last straw for me and I said "that's it, no more since I've been fooled twice".

SOE has a strange habit of destroying many games they host, PlanetSide, EQ2, SWG, MxO, VG all experienced sharp decline in popularity when they do something to them.  PlanetSide started to lose people when they introduced the retarded ass BFRs that threw the entire game off balance, and they did some kind of "CU" revamp in EQ2 which many people didn't appreciate, they took over and merged MxO servers which caused intolorable lag to an already sucky game.

It's kind of funny how all the SWG servers are STILL up since that would cost alot of maintainance a year and reports are saying only shy of 10K players are actually active in the game.  I remember Lowca and Tarquinas had around 3K-5K players on the entire server at peak hour, now they're roughly 200-300 and the devs tweaked the server load threshold to fool the players (1K used to show "light" but now 200 shows "medium").

George probably doesn't realize it (or doesn't care) but there are other host companies out there that are better than SOE (and EA), say like Bioware and even NCSoft/Cryptic.

I wouldn't go making claims the Bioware is a better host than one of the companies you listed, like say Electronic Arts (EA).

Unless you haven't heard yet.....

Originally posted by Daffid011

I wouldn't go making claims the Bioware is a better host than one of the companies you listed, like say Electronic Arts (EA).

Unless you haven't heard yet.....

That's true, but still... better.

• PetroPetro Member Posts: 10

First of all EVE is a free plaque whore...no game except maybe AO has whored themselves more than EVE...that doesn't prove anything...as for WoW...It's a child's game...there are always more children

to subscribe to games like this...

Sookster, have you heard the bioware was bought by EA a couple days ago?  Thats why I was laughing.

No offense meant, just poking fun at your mis timed comment.

What Im saying is hes making a pointless point

The game is dying he cries.  So are we the moment we are born.

The game looks pretty active and has a lot of active members as I see it. 

Multi Gamer

Eve is the most boring thing to play that the CU was

Multi Gamer

The game is dying he cries. So are we the moment we are born.
    Yes, depends on where you are looking, Restuss is highly concentrated on any server but Bria and Ahazi and even Chimaera are among the largest servers and could easily have 200+ people in one area. It was easy to find clusters of large groups everywhere you went 3 years ago, the "hot spot" in the NGE being Restuss was about a dozon "hot spots" before the CU and NGE.

I seriously think this game would have suffered much worse if it was titled something like "Space Adventures" instead of "Star Wars", some people I know that still plays SWG are die hard SW fans (ones that would sleep overnight on the sidewalk waiting for a premiere SW movie or convention), I'm a SW fan too but not that big of a nerd.

And Dafidd011, no I missed the memo on that, shame about EA and Bioware, let's just hope EA doesn't do something stupid from th is point on.

• GormandYGormandY Member Posts: 411

Why is it that every SWG post has

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

many posts in it ?

Some people must really love SWG huh?

• NGESUCKSNGESUCKS Member Posts: 153

ROFL.....

OMG...lolololol This is the best and funniest qoute ive ever seen

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side. If you will not CANCEL NOW, then you will meet your destiny.

Originally posted by Darth_Pete

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side. If you will not CANCEL NOW, then you will meet your destiny.
    Seriously though.. I'm sure the hardcore fanboys won't cancel even if SOE turns all character models to dog turds and makes them jump everytime they fire special

*Games on our site will be treated just as we treat people. Unsubstantiated comments about specific or general games will be penalized in nearly the same way attacks against people will. The exception is that you can say mean things about games provided you back it up with reasons.
    Example: "Game X sucks." is not a legitimate comment. "Game X sucks, because..." is acceptable.

Thank you,

The Staff
    MMORPG.COM

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

The game is dying he cries.  So are we the moment we are born.

You think 20K subs over 26 servers is "a lot of active members"?  I'm in the game, and the only reason 3 servers have any population what-so-ever is the transfers.  Come to Kauri and see just exactly how DEAD it is.

C6 finished what CUNGE started.